• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

yeah if anyone were to hint at DQ it'd be Sakurai himself or someone at Square Enix/other DQ companies, not Hal.

I don't wanna assume Nintendo is playing 4D chess.
I feel that the biggest 4D chess that Nintendo pulls is actually to let the fans think that they are doing 4D chess while they don't do anything.

D

Deleted member

I feel that the biggest 4D chess that Nintendo pulls is actually to let the fans think that they are doing 4D chess while they don't do anything.
I think our biggest issue is that we're playing 4D chess and Nintendo is playing checkers.

ZelDan

Smash Master
using 4D chess to exploit the idea of 4D chess.

Wouldn't that, like, be 8D chess at that point?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Man, I have not been here in ages! Ghosted every now and then but haven't posted. I hope everyone is doing well.

This whole business with Brave has been quite interesting to say the least.
-Code left in for characters 'Jack' and 'Brave'
-Joker gets shown off, turning speculation on its head (for a time)
-2.0.0 patch hits and the code is taken away.
- Some dudes Instagram post of 'Brave's' Shield and Kirby.

Truly, what a wild ride! My 2 cents on this after being confident about other things in the past...Does this not seem too telegraphed to anyone?

A.G.L. A.G.L. Thinking about your wonderful notes about Squares business patterns and leak history (if memory serves) It makes sense for Erdrick to be the rep. Yet, the code being in game, almost EVERY LEAKER has heard of Brave (Most noted is Vergeben saying he has heard DQ the most), and yet...it just feels off.

Perhaps my vacation from here has cleared my head a bit, but it feels like we are being lead around like a rabbit chasing a carrot on a string.

However, I will welcome any Square Rep! Finishing up KH3 and going to continue Dragon Quest XI after.

D

Deleted member

yeah I'll be honest and say "Square is the king of leakbait" doesn't seem so accurate anymore.
What instances of false leaks have been tied to them, other than some notable leakers saying that they do leakbait?
Knowing that I doubt the same name would be heard so frequently if they weren't confident it's not leakbait. Plus SE isn't the only party involved, there's also Nintendo and Bamco.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What instances of false leaks have been tied to them, other than some notable leakers saying that they do leakbait?
Knowing that I doubt the same name would be heard so frequently if they weren't confident it's not leakbait. Plus SE isn't the only party involved, there's also Nintendo and Bamco.
tbh I just remember the stuff being said about how Square is paranoid about leaks, including some stuff Vergeben said and others seeming to agree, but since it seems the name has gotten out and spread this easily, it doesn't seem so accurate anymore.

I know there are other parties involved, though, so it's probably just because they couldn't keep it internal, meaning there was no need for them to bring up how Square is with leaks I guess, especially since we have 7 names with one or two being heard frequently...

D

Deleted member

Every company is good at leakbait to some extent, but also had issues with leaks in the past.

Both Smash and KH got leaked stuff due to being released well before release date in some parts of the world. Most of the Smash Ultimate roster got leaked, FFXIV patches up until the new expansion were leaked since March last year. Nobody saw Noctis nor 2B coming to Tekken or Soul Calibur. Nobody predicted Joker at Smash Ultimate DLC.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hey Squeenix Thread. It's been a while.

How many of y'all will be upset if it is Erdrick?
I don't really care for Erdrick or DQ in general (minus Slime), so I wouldn't exactly be angry at his inclusion.
I just wouldn't care and start speculating on the next character.
I'm already expecting 2 of the 5 character in the pass to be characters I don't like/care about. Erdrick just fills one of those slots.
The fact that we would've known about Erdrick for months prior to his reveal doesn't help either (assuming Erdrick is a DLC character).

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Who is that?
And.... what does that comment mean?
GameXplain's Jon Cartwright, also a guy who is known to have inside sources. Whenever a direct is on the horizon, he tends to tweet otters, and here he is, saying space otters.

That does make it seem a lot more likely. He's gotten directs right on the nose.

D

Deleted member

GameXplain's Jon Cartwright, also a guy who is known to have inside sources. Whenever a direct is on the horizon, he tends to tweet otters, and here he is, saying space otters.

That does make it seem a lot more likely. He's gotten directs right on the nose.
What's an ETA for when Jon says otters? When he hints, how long is a direct from here?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What's an ETA for when Jon says otters? When he hints, how long is a direct from here?
usually three days if he's truly hinting.

According to Fatman, there have been people saying this week while PolarPanda's source is leaning towards next week but is unsure because of people going all in on this week.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's another less likely character that could be "Brave".
View attachment 190438
He's a dream character of mine, don't judge.
You know, a thought just popped into my head and I have no reason why. For some reason while looking at this image, I just got the feeling that you would be very good at making those pixel chat boxes. You know, those things in older games where when people talked they had a little icon to go with it.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I think that Instagram post is a red herring- Square is great at leak bait and Erdrick has been thrown around on by just about every news outlet on the planet. This would definitely break an NDA...or one would imagine.
I've also thought that this is a red flag, like "hey your doing a bit too much." Also, the fact the fact it's on a public social media platform is what's making me question it even more. You don't do this kind of stuff until after the character is actually revealed!

I hope a direct is soon now. Their hiatus was at a point where I didn't even want a direct anymore, but I've changed my mind! I've gave up on predicting by the third week of January! If its this week it'll be announced tomorrow, to have it on Thursday. which is a usual direct day. Maybe there was one planned, but I have a theory that they didn't do one this month for this year, so that they can break the cycle so that people can stop predicting them and making them out as a predicitable company. Who knows why, I just hope there's something soon. News has been pretty dry lately.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
You know, a thought just popped into my head and I have no reason why. For some reason while looking at this image, I just got the feeling that you would be very good at making those pixel chat boxes. You know, those things in older games where when people talked they had a little icon to go with it.
I find this funny because a few days ago I was making something similar for Pirate Sora from KH3.

sora box.png

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ok. I get that the IG pic doesn't really mean anything. A Japanese developer doing something DQ related, is almost like a western filmmaker referencing... I don't know... Star Wars at some point.

But... Back when the Monado was shown in a pic with Sakurai a while before Shulk was revealed, wasn't that a little too straightforward as well?

Alsl, an actual Monado isn't exactly the same as a purple and yellow chair, the latter which could have meant SK, Waluigi, Shantae (heck, even Luminary)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ok. I get that the IG pic doesn't really mean anything. A Japanese developer doing something DQ related, is almost like a western filmmaker referencing... I don't know... Star Wars at some point.

But... Back when the Monado was shown in a pic with Sakurai a while before Shulk was revealed, wasn't that a little too straightforward as well?

Alsl, an actual Monado isn't exactly the same as a purple and yellow chair, the latter which could have meant SK, Waluigi, Shantae (heck, even Luminary)
yeah but that's Sakurai.

this is the Kirby developer/Smash Kirby supervisor.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have an interesting question for everyone here. If Sora were to get in, would he come with any Disney references? And yes, the Micky Mouse keychain on the Kingdom Key counts as one of said references.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I have an interesting question for everyone here. If Sora were to get in, would he come with any Disney references? And yes, the Micky Mouse keychain on the Kingdom Key counts as one of said references.
I think so since Sora would kind of look off without the Disney references.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I still can't believe we haven't had another Direct at this point and that Nintendo has just sort of been dripping out bits of information and such. I mean, the last time that we had a general Direct was in September for crying out loud. Nintendo has so much stuff that they're supposed to be working on or even was supposed to be coming out this year, and all we've actually got confirmed is Yoshi...

I know Smash just came out and was absolutely massive as part of the game plan, but 2018 was still pretty barren and I feel they need to start picking up on the hype. We know Metroid Prime 4 certainly won't be this year thanks to their transparency, but that just makes it all the harder to maintain momentum unless they start showing new stuff off with some more concrete release dates.

Plus, I'm always looking for Smash news. I still can't believe Piranha Plant just stealth dropped with the 2.0 update and no official announcement as is...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
That's the only reference that I think would be tasteful and realizable. I don't know if Disney is comfortable with Donald and Goofy helping Sora beat up characters from Nintendo and the other third-party characters.

I haven't played the later KH games, only the first one, so I dunno if I'm getting too cautious about this sort of thing or not.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think so since Sora would kind of look off without the Disney references.
That's the only reference that I think would be tasteful and realizable. I don't know if Disney is comfortable with Donald and Goofy helping Sora beat up characters from Nintendo and the other third-party characters.

I haven't played the later KH games, only the first one, so I dunno if I'm getting too cautious about this sort of thing or not.
I think the Disney keychain will stay at least. Keychains are very important to the different keys of the series(In fact, it's how you switch diffrent Keyblades). The Micky symbol is apart of the full package. I don't see Disney making any other modeled appearance in the game. The stage will likely be one of the Kingdom Hearts original locations and any character that shows up in gameplay will also be KH original. The only place I can see more Disney is in the form of Spirits and even that is questionable.

D

Deleted member

He has appeared in WoFF and Brave Exvius without them, don't think they'll be an issue.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I could see Mickey, Donald and Goofy in the game, but not where characters could beat them up.

They'd just have to be their KH versions as to stick with the videogame theme. This is only if Disney agrees though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He came with the Micky Mouse keychain.
I don't think it will be an issue, its just a reference not an actual Mickey appearance. And since technically he is a Disney character that pretty much is videogame exclusive, I don't think it affects anything really since its part of his design.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Man, I have not been here in ages! Ghosted every now and then but haven't posted. I hope everyone is doing well.

This whole business with Brave has been quite interesting to say the least.
-Code left in for characters 'Jack' and 'Brave'
-Joker gets shown off, turning speculation on its head (for a time)
-2.0.0 patch hits and the code is taken away.
- Some dudes Instagram post of 'Brave's' Shield and Kirby.

Truly, what a wild ride! My 2 cents on this after being confident about other things in the past...Does this not seem too telegraphed to anyone?

A.G.L. A.G.L. Thinking about your wonderful notes about Squares business patterns and leak history (if memory serves) It makes sense for Erdrick to be the rep. Yet, the code being in game, almost EVERY LEAKER has heard of Brave (Most noted is Vergeben saying he has heard DQ the most), and yet...it just feels off.

Perhaps my vacation from here has cleared my head a bit, but it feels like we are being lead around like a rabbit chasing a carrot on a string.

However, I will welcome any Square Rep! Finishing up KH3 and going to continue Dragon Quest XI after.
While I agree Square’s businesses patterns would make sense for Erdrick. It also would make sense for Sora, and even Neku. These three characters Erdrick, Sora and Neku, have the highest chance for profitability. They all can do cross promotion and are more or less well known. That being said Sora and Neku are more globally known and have a higher chance for cross promotion and higher chance for global income both long term and short term.

I agree, the last we were all so confident such as the Metroid Prime trilogy being announced at The Game Awards, we were all shown it was false info. Now we are involving Square a company notorious for trying to cover up leaks. And it seems like they could honestly care less if everyone knows it’s Erdrick. That’s not like them at all, it feels like an intentional misdirect. When KH3 leaked Square tried very hard to cover it up, yet with Erdrick leaks they seem completely fine to let it run its course. This is why I say take any news or leaks surrounding Erdrick with a grain of salt.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Ok let's be cautious with the hype from the Jon quote:
Firstly, this was Sunday. Kinda a bit early for Jon's predictions
Secondly, the otter quote was in response to someone saying something about otters (in relation to Jon's otter posts, admittedly), and the space thing related to a joke he was making earlier in the page.
Jon's made otter related posts without Directs in the past, so long as he had another reason. It's possible this is another such case

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ok let's be cautious with the hype from the Jon quote:
Firstly, this was Sunday. Kinda a bit early for Jon's predictions
Secondly, the otter quote was in response to someone saying something about otters (in relation to Jon's otter posts, admittedly), and the space thing related to a joke he was making earlier in the page.
Jon's made otter related posts without Directs in the past, so long as he had another reason. It's possible this is another such case
Let's keep in mind that this "prediction" has been floating around for weeks now.
PP stated to expect a Direct in 2-3 weeks...2 weeks ago.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I still can't believe we haven't had another Direct at this point and that Nintendo has just sort of been dripping out bits of information and such. I mean, the last time that we had a general Direct was in September for crying out loud. Nintendo has so much stuff that they're supposed to be working on or even was supposed to be coming out this year, and all we've actually got confirmed is Yoshi...

I know Smash just came out and was absolutely massive as part of the game plan, but 2018 was still pretty barren and I feel they need to start picking up on the hype. We know Metroid Prime 4 certainly won't be this year thanks to their transparency, but that just makes it all the harder to maintain momentum unless they start showing new stuff off with some more concrete release dates.

Plus, I'm always looking for Smash news. I still can't believe Piranha Plant just stealth dropped with the 2.0 update and no official announcement as is...
I almost wish we didn't even hear about Metroid Prime 4. Silence isn't that bad as long as the direct that comes makes up for the amount of silence. But only having January empty with the bad news on MP4 is truly bad imo, now the direct not only has to make up for the amount of silence time, but also make up for the terrible news on MP4 and balance the expectations and hype for Nintendo content. MP4 was one of the big titles we were expecting to see more of, and now that is off the list for quite a while now. They are really gonna need to pack up with something big in that upcoming direct to restore people's faith or whatever you guys want to call it. I'm guessing Bayonetta 3 might be shown later in the year… FE Three houses might be the soonest thing we will see, unless they save it for that FE event that is supposed to happen soon as well (unless it already happened and i totally missed it, since i don't care about FE myself)… and then we have Animal Crossing. I have a feeling we are gonna hear about Animal Crossing in the next direct, don't quote me on this tho… it's just a gut feeling I have. And of course, Smash content should totally be in the next direct now, if they want to rise up the hype even more after the bad news on MP4.

Top Bottom