• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Square Enix owns Geno. That's it.
While I assume the list of characters in the poll are consisted of most popular characters in this fanbase, what I don't understand is this is asuming that Square would like to use Geno as their company icon.

I think it's either that Square agrees Nintendo to use Geno under Mario franchise again, otherwise if Square use Geno for their own purpose, it has to be that he is assigned a different franchise under Square for them to promote. If it is the former, I assume this would not be the same case with Chrono or Erdrick.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So seems pretty much 90-99% a lock for Erdrick. Bleh.

Not that they don't deserve the spot or that I'm not happy for fans. I'm just kinda miffed that they had to go and choose the ONE Square IP I have absolutely zero investment in. Like, I obviously want Geno as I'm sure many of you are MORE than aware of by this point, but I'd still have been more than content taking Sora, Chrono, Neku, another FF character, Lara, etc. as a consolation prize. And I certainly have no desire to go back to Dragon Quest 1-3, so I can't ever see myself getting invested in the character. So eh. Still, to those excited for him/her, congrats!

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
So seems pretty much 90-99% a lock for Erdrick. Bleh.

Not that they don't deserve the spot or that I'm not happy for fans. I'm just kinda miffed that they had to go and choose the ONE Square IP I have absolutely zero investment in. Like, I obviously want Geno as I'm sure many of you are MORE than aware of by this point, but I'd still have been more than content taking Sora, Chrono, Neku, another FF character, Lara, etc. as a consolation prize. And I certainly have no desire to go back to Dragon Quest 1-3, so I can't ever see myself getting invested in the character. So eh. Still, to those excited for him/her, congrats!
I don't think it's nearly that certain. What makes you think it's a 90-99% lock?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How many of y'all will be upset if it is Erdrick?
Largely indifferent if only because the character was technically leaked half a year ago so even the surprise factor would be gone. I'm willing to give the character a chance if they have an interesting moveset otherwise they'll be someone I buy but virtually never use like Ryu in Smash 4.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I actually missed this post, so I'm replying late.
I actually wouldn't be that sad. Like, it's not my top pick, but I would be glad to see that, if not Sephiroth, the other character I thought would be the most deserving and hype to get in and add great things to the series is actually getting in. I've been a fan of DQ, and the series is Japanese classicism in its complete essence. It will feel right at home, imo.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't think it's nearly that certain. What makes you think it's a 90-99% lock?
We got an Instagram post from Ultimate's supervisor with a Kirby figure with a shield from Dragon Quest that they referred to as "Brave's Shield".

I don't see how there's much room for doubt anymore. It could be a coincidence, yes, I'm aware of their posting habits but that's a stretch at this point. The timing is too real to be written off as anything else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We got an Instagram post from Ultimate's supervisor with a Kirby figure with a shield from Dragon Quest that they referred to as "Brave's Shield".

I don't see how there's much room for doubt anymore. It could be a coincidence, yes, but that's a stretch at this point.
As an Erdrick fan, I wouldnt put much weight to that tweet. DQ is a big franchise in Japan, its one of the few alongside MH and Nintendo to break 3+ million units in sales regularly.

A lot of the developers grew up and continue playing the games, so its most likwly just a fan showing his love for the franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
As an Erdrick fan, I wouldnt put much weight to that tweet. DQ is a big franchise in Japan, its one of the few alongside Nintendo and MH to normally break 3+ million in sales regularly.

A lot of the developers grew up and continue playing the games, so its most likwly just a fan showing his love for the franchise.
I get that, but I don't buy it. Brave is common knowledge at this point, considering they removed Brave from the recent patch. And after this we ever so conveniently get not just ANY Dragon Quest merch, but "Brave's Shield" next to Kirby? I doubt a supervisor of Smash wouldn't know about the leak.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I get that, but I don't buy it. Brave is common knowledge at this point, considering they removed Brave from the recent patch. And after this we ever so conveniently get not just ANY Dragon Quest merch, but "Brave's Shield" next to Kirby? I doubt a supervisor of Smash wouldn't know about the leak.
He does done Skull Kid next to Kirby as well. He has also done Kirby next to a bunch of anime figures too.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
He does done Skull Kid next to Kirby as well. He has also done Kirby next to a bunch of anime figures too.
Again, that isn't my point. My point is the timing and the item itself, right down to its name.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again, that isn't my point. My point is the timing and the item itself down to its name.
The Skull Kid photo was posted September 2018 when people were speculating he might be in. Timing can be a *****. I will say that this does make Erdrick look more likely, but nothing confirms it as evidence.

Though can you imagine the guy who posted the photo doesn't actually know about the speculation and this is actually supposed to be a cool foreshadow pic?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's why I think it's just a coincidence. Virtually every major gaming news outlet worldwide reported on the datamine so I have a hard time seeing a major developer giving this degree of negative ****s about leaking a character that's would be this big of a deal for Japan at the very least. It just seems extremely callous in a "we don't even care anymore if we spoil it" sort of way.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The Skull Kid photo was posted September 2018 when people were speculating he might be in. Timing can be a *****. I will say that this does make Erdrick look more likely, but nothing confirms it as evidence.

Though can you imagine the guy who posted the photo doesn't actually know about the leak and this is actually supposed to be a cool foreshadow pic?
Perhaps confirmed is a bit too rash of a conclusion, but between this, the files for Brave, and the credible leak saying it's DQ, I don't think I'm going to be convinced otherwise.

That's why I think it's just a coincidence. Virtually every major gaming news outlet worldwide reported on the datamine so I have a hard time seeing a major developer giving this degree of negative ****s about leaking a character that's would be this big of a deal for Japan at the very least. It just seems extremely callous in a "we don't even care anymore if we spoil it" sort of way.
That barely matters. We live in an era where voice actors for Smash fighters retweet Directs in which their character is revealed. A developer can post whatever they'd like about whatever they're working on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ersrick is 100% in imo but Kumazaki is in no way working on DLC and was likely just supervising for the HAL content Smash has.

D

Deleted member

Dun think that tweet means much. As said above, Dragon Quest is bonkers huge in japan, hugely influential. Likely just a fan showing off his appreciation. Plus, there’s the skull kid pic as well. At most I think it’s teasing over the whole brave debacle.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think there is a chance that instagram picture is them throwing people off or it's a similar situation with the Rathalos= Isaac picture.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Dun think that tweet means much. As said above, Dragon Quest is bonkers huge in japan, hugely influential. Likely just a fan showing off his appreciation. Plus, there’s the skull kid pic as well. At most I think it’s teasing over the whole brave debacle.
Are you people intentionally not reading the parts where I say their previous posts aren't relevant? Literally the third time this has been brought up. There's plenty of other DQ merchandise that could have been used, but they specifically went out of their way to choose an item with Brave literally in its name. It could have been a Slime, that'd look cute along side a Kirby figure, but no, "Brave's Shield" in the midst of the Brave leak. From a Supervisor of Ultimate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are you people intentionally not reading the parts where I say their previous posts aren't relevant? Literally the third time this has been brought up. There's plenty of other DQ merchandise that could have been used, but they specifically went out of their way to choose an item with Brave literally in its name. It could have been a Slime, that'd look cute along side a Kirby figure, but no, "Brave's Shield" in the midst of the Brave leak. From a Supervisor of Ultimate.
That's what throws me off most. Individually, it's not important, but posting it from what could be a direct in the next couple of weeks while analyzing everything surrounding Erdrick as of late, it's hard to really argue against Erdrick beyond "Nothing's confirmed yet."

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I don't see how there's much room for doubt anymore. It could be a coincidence, yes, I'm aware of their posting habits but that's a stretch at this point. The timing is too real to be written off as anything else.
He's not the supervisor.

Other supervisors include people from Capcom, Sega, Konami, Platinum Games, Nintendo themselves...the "Original Game Supervisor" credit most-likely means they're supervisors of character/series portrayals, so Kumizaki would be supervising the Kirby stuff.

I don't see how this could be a hint, when he always seems to translate his first sentence somehow - meaning what he typed for "Hero" would be "brave" in English due to how it was translated - and all it proves is stuff we've already known. And if it was intended as a hint, it'd be to the point where he risked breaking an NDA due to how obvious it is. Dragon Quest is incredibly popular in Japan, he's just doing what people normally do online and posting stuff he likes.

I still believe "brave" is most-likely Erdrick, though, but this ain't it. Really, "the Brave's shield" brave isn't even a noun, this is Japanese getting translated.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
A few weeks ago I would have said I really hope it's not him. Now after playing DQ XI he's one of my most wanted. Especially if he comes with a Luminary alt or echo. Geno is still my most wanted overall, but I'd happily take Erdrick. Still not convinced Brave is him though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Frankly, I'm really indifferent to Erdrick, but I honestly think DQ would have been in Smash a long time ago if Square wasn't so cranky about Nintendo's and their feud. It's kind of like... finally. This was way overdue. I may not be a fan, but I'd be happy for his fans and glad that it's finally getting the rep it deserves. Yes, as a Geno fan, I would be horribly sad, but my focus is more on bringing him back to his home series first anyway.

(It's also fine because reception to my art has been extraordinary and I have Plans™ for Mallow and Geno in the future, and it is going to become Actual Canon as I now claim Mallow and Geno for myself, Square be damned! I'll just take those characters you guys refuse to use, thank you! :4pacman:

... but nah, really, fans will always keep them alive, so my hope will never die.)

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I think that Instagram post is a red herring- Square is great at leak bait and Erdrick has been thrown around on by just about every news outlet on the planet. This would definitely break an NDA...or one would imagine.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
He's not the supervisor.

Other supervisors include people from Capcom, Sega, Konami, Platinum Games, Nintendo themselves...the "Original Game Supervisor" credit most-likely means they're supervisors of character/series portrayals, so Kumizaki would be supervising the Kirby stuff.

I don't see how this could be a hint, when he always seems to translate his first sentence somehow - meaning what he typed for "Hero" would be "brave" in English due to how it was translated - and all it proves is stuff we've already known. And if it was intended as a hint, it'd be to the point where he risked breaking an NDA due to how obvious it is. Dragon Quest is incredibly popular in Japan, he's just doing what people normally do online and posting stuff he likes.

I still believe "brave" is most-likely Erdrick, though, but this ain't it. Really, "the Brave's shield" brave isn't even a noun, this is Japanese getting translated.
Fair enough. Seems I jumped to a few conclusions on this one without making sure of a thing or two.

But yeah, it's still absolutely Erdrick.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I think that Instagram post is a red herring- Square is great at leak bait and Erdrick has been thrown around on by just about every news outlet on the planet. This would definitely break an NDA...or one would imagine.
That was my thought - if Erdrick is the DLC and a supervisor of Ultimate with access to this knowledge posted something like this on any social media outlet before an official announcement, they would in all likelihood lose their job. I'm inclined to believe it's just a game developer paying tribute to a game he enjoys.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
That was my thought - if Erdrick is the DLC and a supervisor of Ultimate with access to this knowledge posted something like this on any social media outlet before an official announcement, they would in all likelihood lose their job. I'm inclined to believe it's just a game developer paying tribute to a game he enjoys.
While that image almost certainly wasn't any kind of hint, I don't think Kumazaki'd be in too much hot water if it somehow was. The director of every main Kirby game since Return to Dream Land has to have some job security.

Listen, if anyone was going to blab about Erdrick, it'd be Yuji Horii. You can't control the guy, he'll say whatever he wants.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While that image almost certainly wasn't any kind of hint, I don't think Kumazaki'd be in too much hot water if it somehow was. The director of every main Kirby game since Return to Dream Land has to have some job security.

Listen, if anyone was going to blab about Erdrick, it's Yuji Horii. You can't control the guy, he'll say whatever he wants.
It's still completely vague as far as we care. Plus not everyone follows the speculation scene like we do. There is a high probability this is meant as a friendly hint that's actually official. Excluding leaks and data mines, this could be considered the first official hint toward the next DLC, which in my eyes, makes it more credible when we do apply everything else to it. I say if the next DLC character is not Erdrick and it's not happening within this month, we could probably throw this tweet away. It's only power is that it's new. Only until after the shock value diminishes is when we can say it's actually important.

Otherwise, just wait for the next direct.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yeah if anyone were to hint at DQ it'd be Sakurai himself or someone at Square Enix/other DQ companies, not Hal.

I don't wanna assume Nintendo is playing 4D chess.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Isn't there a lot of supervisors around to help Sakurai make sure he gets specific characters and related material right? A supervisor for Kirby material likely don't know about most classified details that don't pertain to Kirby. I don't think that post means anything and people are looking too deeply into it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Precisely my stance on this whole thing.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Am i the only one baffled by why he'd go for "Brave's shield" (using it as a noun) instead of say... Roto's shield? (Roto being the Japanese name for Erdrick).

I know this is a Legendary shield, wieldable by all characters considered the "Hero" of the game series, so not just Erdrick. But still... Unnecessary risk perhaps? (Codename was Brave, after all, not Roto).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Am i the only one baffled by why he'd go for "Brave's shield" (using it as a noun) instead of say... Roto's shield? (Roto being the Japanese name for Erdrick).

I know this is a Legendary shield, wieldable by all characters considered the "Hero" of the game series, so not just Erdrick. But still... Unnecessary risk perhaps? (Codename was Brave, after all, not Roto).
It's likely he meant Hero ("The Hero's Shield" makes sense) and "brave" was due to how he translated the sentence, since brave and hero are similar in Japanese.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman

Hero's Shield is the name of the item in DQIII (and Builders). He would've just thrown that into a machine translator and gotten "brave" out of it, as usual. There's not really anything suspicious about calling it that.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Hero's Shield is the name of the item in DQIII (and Builders). He would've just thrown that into a machine translator and gotten "brave" out of it, as usual. There's not really anything suspicious about calling it that.
Or he knows about the Brave code name but not who the actual DLC character is and is just having a little fun making the internet explode

ZelDan

Smash Master
When it comes to the tweet, I find the timing of the tweet more suspect than the actual contents.

I'm not taking the tweet as 100% confirmation or anything, but I wouldn't exactly completely disregard it either.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I'd post the Colbert balloon gif.

And that's really it. I never touched the Dragon Quest series but I'm not hardcore enough to make angry phone calls to NoA's offices.
Female Erdrick is cute though

Top Bottom