• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'd be, but that's more out of a desire for the leakers to be wrong. I wouldn't mind him as a character, even though there are others from Square I'd prefer.
I feel like having 3 DQ names in the list just makes it more obviously suspicious, therefore the list failing big time in misdirecting people or leakers themselves… that's why I doubt it more and more. Either it's true and SE is stupid as hell to avoid leaks with the way they do it, or people are falling too easily for it. I'm hoping for the latter... I want a real surprise

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I'm updating the Square 7 sprites I made a while ago.

non.png

Which 2 should I update next?

How many of y'all will be upset if it is Erdrick?
Almost all of the characters I want are from Square. If we get Erdrick we probably won't get another Square rep this game. So I'd be quite upset that it wasn't one of the characters I wanted.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
LOL you ask this like every regular here who doesn't care for Erdrick isn't already emotionally dead after the past months of speculation and just want it all to be over!
Just because Erdrick is in doesn't mean Geno or others can't be though. It just means that Erdrick will come first. I'm pretty sure a Fighter's Pass 2 is happening and I'm 100% sure Geno will be in it if so.

D

Deleted member

I would be ****ing ecstatic over Dragon Quest being in Smash.

Any other Square rep on the last besides Geno would just get a, "They actually look cool!" response. Geno would be "HOLY ****!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Just because Erdrick is in doesn't mean Geno or others can't be though. It just means that Erdrick will come first. I'm pretty sure a Fighter's Pass 2 is happening and I'm 100% sure Geno will be in it if so.
Oh please no not more of that 100% crap. Look; it's game over for Geno.
If Erdrick is in, Geno isn't getting in. They're not gonna double dip on companies when they only have 5 picks.
And, a Season 2 is not anywhere near that likely and I cannot believe people are already sure it's happening.

Don't mean to come off as rude. Hope you can understand why I feel this way.

D

Deleted member

If Erdrick is in, Geno isn't getting in. They're not gonna double dip on companies when they only have 5 picks.
And, a Season 2 is not anywhere near that likely and I cannot believe people are already sure it's happening.

That's fine if you believe that. Me? Unless it's outright said he's not gonna be in, I'm just going to wait and see, and then move onto other things while I wait, you feel?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That's fine if you believe that. Me? Unless it's outright said he's not gonna be in, I'm just going to wait and see, and then move onto other things while I wait, you feel?
Okay, you do you, but I simply cannot keep going assuming "well I'll wait and see" because the answer will be nothing good.
But I encourage you.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Sometimes I feel kind of bad looking forward to Erdrick, who aside from 2B and a mainline SMT protagonist is my most wanted 3rd party character, knowing that they might get in the way of other Square Enix characters getting into Smash.

The fact that this might just be a zero sum game puts a sour mood on this whole speculation period. This may be why this thread has moved along pretty slowly as of late.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I feel kind of bad looking forward to Erdrick, who aside from 2B and a mainline SMT protagonist is my most wanted 3rd party character, knowing that they might get in the way of other Square Enix characters getting into Smash.

The fact that this might just be a zero sum game puts a sour mood on this whole speculation period. This may be why this thread has moved along pretty slowly as of late.
Sadly thats what happens. Hopefully we'll get more DLC fighters after the pass.

I frankly dont think that any character actually affects other characters getting in, there is no getting in the way considering that most likely the development team just chooses whoever they like and so far there have been no mentioned interferences of the other companies.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

I understand your position.
But, I wouldn't give up yet. At least from where I'm standing, a second pass is inevitable. The game seems to have a long lasting life ahead of it, being the best selling Smash game of all time in so little time. And considering characters like Capcom have 3 characters with a fourth one extremely likely, I really don't see why they wouldn't double dip on Square-Enix
Pls understand I don't want anyone to raise expectations to be waiting and suffering for an extra year, but all I'm saying is that a second pass is very likely, imho, and this might open up even more possibilities for S-E characters.

Is this what Shinji asked for during the Human Instrumentality project? boi finally got in the freaking robot and got redeemed then.
Ironically, I actually think his father and Kaworu (aka Space Jesus) would make more sense and fit better in Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But, I wouldn't give up yet. At least from where I'm standing, a second pass is inevitable. The game seems to have a long lasting life ahead of it, being the best selling Smash game of all time in so little time. And considering characters like Capcom have 3 characters with a fourth one extremely likely, I really don't see why they wouldn't double dip on Square-Enix
Pls understand I don't want anyone to raise expectations to be waiting and suffering for an extra year, but all I'm saying is that a second pass is very likely, imho, and this might open up even more possibilities for S-E characters.

Ironically, I actually think his father and Kaworu (aka Space Jesus) would make more sense and fit better in Super Smash Bros.
Because none of those 3 Capcom picks are DLC.
There was 1 Capcom DLC in 4.

Also, a second pass is VERY MUCH NOT inevitable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A second Fighter's Pass is nowhere near inevitable.

It's just expected, kind of like Wolf DLC or a Shadow Echo. Not guaranteed, but can happen because people don't keep their expectations in check.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

Agree the fact that out of three major consoles on the market right now, Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch just began its console life, while the other two are already heading to next gen consoles within the next year or so. I think Nintendo recognizes this and the fact they said they want the Switch to have a long console life. Throw in the fact that Smash has extremely exceeded expectations in terms of sales, it’s very likely their will be another Fighters Pass. From a marketing standpoint it just makes too much sense.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm not counting my chickens yet, but it'd be nice. I might break my rule about never watching reaction videos just to see some Youtube Hype Guys totally baffled by this character they've never heard of.

If Erdrick in Smash is a signal that Square Enix is committed to taking Dragon Quest seriously outside Japan, I'm not gonna feel too guilty that my guy got in over anyone else's. I haven't forgotten all those DQ games that never got western releases, and there's potential here for that to finally stop happening.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Agree the fact that out of three major consoles on the market right now, Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch just began its console life, while the other two are already heading to next gen consoles within the next year or so. I think Nintendo recognizes this and the fact they said they want the Switch to have a long console life. Throw in the fact that Smash has extremely exceeded expectations in terms of sales, it’s very likely their will be another Fighters Pass. From a marketing standpoint it just makes too much sense.
I would also like to note that Sakurai has a notable desire to make this game as good as it can be. At least, that is what I recall from one of his more recent interviews. Man has a lot of drive and it certainly helps that DLC development is apparently a lot less stressful.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I would also like to note that Sakurai has a notable desire to make this game as good as it can be. At least, that is what I recall from one of his more recent interviews. Man has a lot of drive and it certainly helps that DLC development is apparently a lot less stressful.
Agree, I think if anything Nintendo will do what Square did for DLC development in FF15. They will condense the team they have now, but keep working on the Second Fighters Pass. Or Sakurai may be less involved, but still oversee the final development of the characters.

However I have to agree, that the second fighters pass makes too much sense. Especially because right now Smash Ultimate is Nintendo’s biggest money generator. And with the delay of Metroid Prime 4, I can definitely see Nintendo wanting to extend Smash Ultimate’s life to keep sales coming in.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Here's the thing.

I'm still not 100 on Erdrick.

Mostly because this is such a MASSIVE leak of a company that doesn't typically leak. It's telegraphed in EVERY sense of the word.

Something just seems phony or off about Erdrick being in but being so well known. No guest character of Square's has ever leaked at this capacity.

And it's such an odd time for it to be the first time.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Here's the thing.

I'm still not 100 on Erdrick.

Mostly because this is such a MASSIVE leak of a company that doesn't typically leak. It's telegraphed in EVERY sense of the word.

Something just seems phony or off about Erdrick being in but being so well known. No guest character of Square's has ever leaked at this capacity.

And it's such an odd time for it to be the first time.
Agree, Square has not been so careless as to the degree of how Erdrick is being handled. If Erdrick were true then I would expect Square to try and keep it more of a secret.

It feels like they are letting Erdrick be the main topic of speculation, and this could be because they are trying to confuse leakers and fans.

Hopefully we’ll find out soon, I suspect they will announce the next DLC character this month or March.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
By the Way A.G.L. A.G.L. , I am curious...
Since I will always recall you as the guy with the Noctis icon, I was wondering about what you think of Yozora and his future involvement, considering the fact that he is a Noctis expy. The fact that he seems to have a connection with MoM, who just so happens to share the same voice actor as Noctis, also has me curious. And let's not forget that Riku is also wearing clothing similar to Noctis...

Nomura just really likes Noctis, doesn't he?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Couldn't be able to explain just how happy I'd be.

The only one I'd be sad to let go, would be Crono. But I don't think they compete with each other. If anything, I feel Geno is Crono's Main rival, because obscurity/"irrelevancy" And DQ's rival would be more FF.

KH has an obstacle free road, IMO, since it's Disney.

But more importantly, if Nintendo wants to choose 2 characters from the same company, they have all the cards in their hands to do so. We already have 3 Capcom, 3 Konami, (and if you say "but they have one echo each" it's still a fan rule) and 3 SEGA (technicalities aside).

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
There's very little chance at a second pass unless Nintendo moves development to an entirely new crew. Sakurai and his staff have been working on Smash nonstop for nearly a decade now, if we assume development on 4 started soon after Kid Icarus uprising released. EVENTUALLY you decide, "yeah, Imma take a breather".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's very little chance at a second pass unless Nintendo moves development to an entirely new crew. Sakurai and his staff have been working on Smash nonstop for nearly a decade now, if we assume development on 4 started soon after Kid Icarus uprising released. EVENTUALLY you decide, "yeah, Imma take a breather".
Yeah I agree that it's not nearly as likely, due to Sakurai's health. Of course it would seem like a no-brainer from a business perspective, but from what we know I think we can all agree Sakurai deserves a break after all this.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah I agree that it's not nearly as likely, due to Sakurai's health. Of course it would seem like a no-brainer from a business perspective, but from what we know I think we can all agree Sakurai deserves a break after all this.
Honestly, they could probably just get one of their other guys to take the reigns if they wanted a S2.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The making of DLC is NOWHERE near the development of a full game. They have a dedicated team for it, and now Sakurai isn't responsible anymore for balancing all by himself. The situation at hand is much more favorable than you are making it out to be.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, they could probably just get one of their other guys to take the reigns if they wanted a S2.
If that ends up being the case then I could see it happening. Speaking hypothetically, I would be a little worried if Sakurai wasn't the one heading it for S2, but if he trusts someone enough to head it then I'm sure they would be good.
The making of DLC is NOWHERE near the development of a full game. They have a dedicated team for it, and now Sakurai isn't responsible anymore for balancing all by himself. The situation at hand is much more favorable than you are making it out to be.
That is definetely true, though I didn't actually know some of these details beforehand, so that's interesting to know as well.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Didn't Sakurai say that making a stage took them about a year?

Although maybe that was when the crew was spread thin between making >103 stages.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Although maybe that was when the crew was spread thin between making >103 stages.
Making a complex stage like Orbital Gate Assault is what took a year. And yes, the dev team was spread thin with the remodeling, texturing, and lighting of so many stages.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

That was the Assault stage from Smash 4 (one of my personal favs, even though it wasn't competitive and sadly it won't return in Ultimate by how much of a hassle it would be to translate everything to the new engine). Spreading 5 stages in one year after making 103 isn't that demanding. Also, again, Sakurai would have way less of a workload now.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
I'm basically the opposite of the average Smash forumer. As long as it's an anime (or non anime) swordperson, I'm hyped.

Look, it's not my fault I'm incapable of playing characters without disjoints

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

When Geno does get in I'm quoting this post. Just be prepared. :)

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm pretty indifferent to Erdrick or Dragon Quest in general. I've had minimal experience with it the franchise and thus don't feel that much for it, but I can still appreciate it for mkaing JRPGs a thing, and I could appreciate a Dragon Quest character being in Smash for the same reason I liked Pac-Man being revealed in Smash 4.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It's a move that benefits Phoenix Wright's chances and Erdrick looks cool enough(glad it wouldn't be Slime), so I wouldn't really be upset.

Perhaps a bit upset due to how expected and telegraphed it's become, even publicly.

Though I will admit that I vastly prefer Sephiroth and Sora over him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

God this forum is ruining me. I had a dream where Erdrick footage was leaked online and I was losing my cool immediately afterwards.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
When I enter I suddenly feel confused. Quoted from another thread #28,804 , I need explanation about how come SuperMarioRPG is a Square franchise and how Geno represents it.

Top Bottom