• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
the next direct will have Pikmin 4.

let me dream.

edit: no, this is what Jon was talking about; Pikmin 4 is gonna have an otter-like enemy.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
the next direct will have Pikmin 4.

let me dream.

edit: no, this is what Jon was talking about; Pikmin 4 is gonna have an otter-like enemy.
Don't worry, we have bigger chances for Pikmin 4 than we have for Mother 3 anyway, lol

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Y'know I could see Sora having different keyblades within his alts. Like have the Kingdom key for his base, then Oathkeeper and Oblivion, and the rest could be the Disney inspired ones.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I agree, the last we were all so confident such as the Metroid Prime trilogy being announced at The Game Awards, we were all shown it was false info. Now we are involving Square a company notorious for trying to cover up leaks. And it seems like they could honestly care less if everyone knows it’s Erdrick. That’s not like them at all, it feels like an intentional misdirect. When KH3 leaked Square tried very hard to cover it up, yet with Erdrick leaks they seem completely fine to let it run its course. This is why I say take any news or leaks surrounding Erdrick with a grain of salt.
A million times this statement. We were certain Prime was going to get announced at VGA and instead we -Insert Persona 5 pun here-

As a huge Persona 5 fan, I was blown away and overjoyed, but was left with "Wait, did we really get bamboozled by Nintendo!?"

I am in complete agreement with staying cautious with any news about Erdirck/Brave. The pieces are just too conveniently placed.

However, it could happen and Square is just going with it. "Well...Its out. Might as well own it!"

Hope you are well buddy!

EDIT: Subject of Sora. I could see the Keychain being in. Small enough to not cause too much of a fuss. As far as Spirits go, any original characters are a must.

I could see Riku as Corrin. Heartless as all Dark Kirbys as a horde battle and it ends with a Giant one. Axel as Roy? IDK

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
What instances of false leaks have been tied to them, other than some notable leakers saying that they do leakbait?
I'm pretty sure we don't know any examples. That hasn't stopped "leakbait" from being the new hotness though.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
So in the subject of Sora. Who would be the most likely spirits?

(Bonus question for fun, what attribute would the spirits have?)
Probably just the KH original characters. If we're lucky, maybe Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, but that's a big if.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I have an interesting question for everyone here. If Sora were to get in, would he come with any Disney references? And yes, the Micky Mouse keychain on the Kingdom Key counts as one of said references.

Sora could be added to smash without any direct disney references. Just allude to them indirectly. As far as that small keychain goes, just swap out the keychain with the crown symbol they usually use.

Although, I have no problem throwing disney characters in there. In the Snes and Nes era some of the Disney games were just as good as first party games. There was a few solid platformers.

Overall there is enough original characters in the series that disney characters dont need representation when it comes to spirits and assist trophies.

Assist trophies:Riku, Ansem, Heartless.
Spirits:Roxas, Kairi, Heartless, Axel
Stage:The World that never was

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
As an Erdrick fan, I wouldnt put much weight to that tweet. DQ is a big franchise in Japan, its one of the few alongside MH and Nintendo to break 3+ million units in sales regularly.

A lot of the developers grew up and continue playing the games, so its most likwly just a fan showing his love for the franchise.
He also has a history of taking pictures of his Kirby with other gaming memorabilia. He had something earlier with Kirby and Majora's Mask I believe.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, I've heard that he has been putting a lot of attention towards the DQ franchise lately. Dunno if this means he is all in or just clarifying Erdrick is the one he has heard the most. Hopefully its the character with a lot of skins for each hero if its the case.
If it's true that there'd be Luminary and Anlucia (altho the original leak with 2 characters had a different name in there?),
then my guess is that there could be 2 color slots for each character (2 for male erdrick, 2 for female, then 2 for the other heroes each)
I think it'd be pretty cool like that. Wouldn't mind even more heroes for each slot tho. :)

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
If it's true that there'd be Luminary and Anlucia (altho the original leak with 2 characters had a different name in there?),
then my guess is that there could be 2 color slots for each character (2 for male erdrick, 2 for female, then 2 for the other heroes each)
I think it'd be pretty cool like that. Wouldn't mind even more heroes for each slot tho. :)
IMO, The only problem with that, is that then it's not erdrick, it may be Dragon Quest Heroes. It depends on the trailer, if we just see Loto then it's him/her with colour alts of the rest of the heroes. However, if we see more than one Hero is because we have full alts of them (Like Koopalings and Bowser Jr)
I'd preffer just erdrick with gender alt and colours based on DQ Heroes..

Teeb147

Smash Legend
IMO, The only problem with that, is that then it's not erdrick, it may be Dragon Quest Heroes. It depends on the trailer, if we just see Loto then it's him/her with colour alts of the rest of the heroes. However, if we see more than one Hero is because we have full alts of them (Like Koopalings and Bowser Jr)
I'd preffer just erdrick with gender alt and colours based on DQ Heroes..
Interesting thought, if you consider how they did things with the Belmonts, they could showcase the entire crew of heroes and not just the character that's most popular in japan. That could make it more interesting for the general audience, and dq fans all around.

I wouldn't mind just color palettes too. But if they have a few heroes they can also make it look like a party :)

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I thought this was the case all along tho?
He still only says that he's heard that character the most. And that he's not sure still means we don't know what're rumors and what aren't.

I'll be really happy if there's multiple dq heroes in one slot tho :)
(that's just cuz of being dq fan, obviously)
No.
He never came out and stated that the S-E rep was Erdrick. He only said he heard him the most.
But at the very end there he stated it.

D

Deleted member

No.
He never came out and stated that the S-E rep was Erdrick. He only said he heard him the most.
He meant he heard Erdrick the most and not Sephiroth. He's responding to how someone incorrectly stated he heard Seph the most.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
He meant he heard Erdrick the most and not Sephiroth. He's responding to how someone incorrectly stated he heard Seph the most.
Good point tho, It can be readed as "It's not Sephiroth, It's Erdrick" not like "Erdrick is the SE rep", he believes it by its intuition tho, cuz again, is the one he heard the most.

But, every other leaker around thinks the same, not necessarily because they talked about it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
"heard the most" =/= it's gotta be that guy
I don't get the logic behind some people here, if the list is supposed to be leakbait, and three names are from the same franchise, that franchise becomes the least likely to me, cause otherwise it's TERRIBLE leakbaiting. It's like people skip everything Verge says and remain with the last two words of what he said (wouldn't be the first time people say that). And even if he believes it's Erdrick cause he heard his name the most, that's stupid logic, specially if we know we are dealing with red herring/leak baiting right here right now. Leakbait is supposed to misdirect people, not make it OBVIOUS that that's what we are getting. Call it denial, I just don't have the same perspective than most, I guess.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No.
I think he was saying 'it's erdrick' at the end just to clarify that it's the character he heard most, not sephiroth. (like bolder was saying)
I like your interpretation tho :p

Note: Look at how he bolded the reply about sephiroth.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yes, that's what he said, but the very last part. "It's Erdrick"
This right here is him saying he thinks he is the one

"heard the most" =/= it's gotta be that guy
I don't get the logic behind some people here, if the list is supposed to be leakbait, and three names are from the same franchise, that franchise becomes the least likely to me, cause otherwise it's TERRIBLE leakbaiting. It's like people skip everything Verge says and remain with the last two words of what he said (wouldn't be the first time people say that). And even if he believes it's Erdrick cause he heard his name the most, that's stupid logic, specially if we know we are dealing with red herring/leak baiting right here right now. Leakbait is supposed to misdirect people, not make it OBVIOUS that that's what we are getting. Call it denial, I just don't have the same perspective than most, I guess.
If that is the case, then yes, I wouldn't be betting on it if it's a mere guess rather than solid info.
Would be 100% hilarious if Sephiroth is indeed the pick. This post would age like wine. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yes, that's what he said, but the very last part. "It's Erdrick"
This right here is him saying he thinks he is the one

If that is the case, then yes, I wouldn't be betting on it if it's a mere guess rather than solid info.
Would be 100% hilarious if Sephiroth is indeed the pick. This post would age like wine. :4pacman:
Considering he bolded the point on Sephiroth and said no, it's Erdrick, it leads me to believe that he's saying 'I didn't hear Sephiroth the most, I heard Erdrick the most', not that 'Erdrick is the rep'. It's a little vague, but that could be for good reason. Verge has been treading very lightly as of late. It could be as blatant as 'he thinks it is Erdrick' or a misinterpretation because of faulty wording.

We'll have to wait until and if he clarifies, I think. I'm 99% on the Erdrick train myself, but yeah, this wording is pretty iffy.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Pfffft. Got me excited for no reason. I read the whole thing, and that's just him reatating that he heard Erdrick the most.

I'm more curious over Tansut's Side tbh.
And I'd be thrilled to have multiple heroes in all slots. Heck, I Even wanted Simon Belmont to be the same case. But I would have stuck to Simon regardless.

With DQ, I'd use them all. But for now, I'll just hope for Erdrick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pfffft. Got me excited for no reason. I read the whole thing, and that's just him reatating that he heard Erdrick the most.

I'm more curious over Tansut's Side tbh.
And I'd be thrilled to have multiple heroes in all slots. Heck, I Even wanted Simon Belmont to be the same case. But I would have stuck to Simon regardless.

With DQ, I'd use them all. But for now, I'll just hope for Erdrick.
I mean, he could still think it's likely erdrick. But he's been pretty careful about the SE rep, I dont know how much he puts in it.

Did Tansut say more about the whole thing? From what I saw he didn't add much.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I mean, he could still think it's likely erdrick. But he's been pretty careful about the SE rep, I dont know how much he puts in it.

Did Tansut say more about the whole thing? From what I saw he didn't add much.
Yeah. He's been really silent. I guess the leaks are over.
I've noticed him commenting on playing DQ lately. Also defending the series.... In true Vergeben style, though, which means it probably does more harm than good.

And no, sadly after that piece of information, Tansut hasn't said anything else.

The drought is killing me. (Worst part is, next DLC character might still not be the Square character).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah. He's been really silent. I guess the leaks are over.
I've noticed him commenting on playing DQ lately. Also defending the series.... In true Vergeben style, though, which means it probably does more harm than good.

And no, sadly after that piece of information, Tansut hasn't said anything else.

The drought is killing me. (Worst part is, next DLC character might still not be the Square character).
Yeah really, but I think it'd be weird if it wasn't the SE one next.
It's feb, so hopefully we have that direct coming soon. and really hope we get some dlc info.

So I've been off the thread for a long while now, anything I miss?
Probably just missed a ton of talk around games . They removed the dlc fighter data in the last update, so we dont have much to speculate on for now.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So I've been off the thread for a long while now, anything I miss?
We discovered that the listed 7 SE characters aren't leakbait, but that all 7 are actually going to playable through the current fighter's pass and a future one. We also discovered that Sakurai felt really bad about the whole Grinch Leak debacle and decided to make every character on that hoax leak playable as well.

But other than that, nah, you didn't really miss much.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, since we know that each DLC character will be getting a Palutena's Guidance(Piranha Plant got one and there is no generic mystery person guidance in the code like in 4), perhaps that is something we can discuss?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's another thing about the Erdrick of it all that throws me off from believing 100 percent it's him. All the insiders simply seem to have ''heard" not ''seen." There's no real solid proof to him being the one either.

There's so much about the Erdrick situation that just seems phony and off to me while also seeming likely.

He's likely because he's Erdrick, the star of a very beloved JRPG in his homeland.

He's unlikely (at least in my eyes) because Square keeps their secrets, and this would be HUGE for Japan. They'd go nuts. So I can't see them letting him slip out as early into the game as he did.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Just curious in order to get Dai from Dragon Quest in Jump Force, did they have to get Square's permission or did they not need to involve Square? Im assuming no because he is from the anime spinoff, but just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just curious in order to get Dai from Dragon Quest in Jump Force, did they have to get Square's permission or did they not need to involve Square? Im assuming no because he is from the anime spinoff, but just wanted to make sure.
Pretty sure not, and if any involvement from Squeenix was necessary, it likely wasn't for much. Dai himself is from the anime/manga spinoff, so any possible involvement from them would be minimal to nothing.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Pretty sure not, and if any involvement from Squeenix was necessary, it likely wasn't for much. Dai himself is from the anime/manga spinoff, so any possible involvement from them would be minimal to nothing.
Ah I see thanks for that clarification, its pretty interesting if Erdrick is real then we will have two Dragon Quest characters in recent fighting games. Definitely a lot of representation for the series if this proves to be the case.

D

Deleted member

I feel that this whole Erdrick info just feels weirdly incomplete, its just confusing to say if its being used as a leakbait or being an actual leak. The arguments from Tansut and Verge seem to cover different things of the character, and I just think that the whole situation seems a bit complex and simple at the same time to say something securely on the matter regarding the leakbait status.

-For the complex part, my wonder is that if Erdrick was being used as a leakbait, why mention him together with the Luminary on the first place? It makes the argument a little bit more complicated when they can just mention one of them to one group and the other to other groups to make more confusion and prevent leaks, or alternatively you can make a simpler one by saying its Erdrick plus the other protagonists as alts.
-For the simple part, if SE wanted to use a DQ character as leakbait, why don't use other popular MC of DQ as well? The protagonists from I, V and VIII are also relatively well known characters, and considering its SE that we're talking about, its difficult to imagine that the list is quite small when they could add Bravely Default and TWEWY to the mix.

At the moment, I'm leaning on Erdrick due Tansut seemingly having SE connections, but thats about it. There is nothing concrete and the only thing we can do at the moment is just wait on it.
Hey, since we know that each DLC character will be getting a Palutena's Guidance(Piranha Plant got one and there is no generic mystery person guidance in the code like in 4), perhaps that is something we can discuss?
PP also has a Fighter spirit and appears in the mural as well right? That would possibly mean that the DLC characters are given a lot more planning beforehand.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
That's another thing about the Erdrick of it all that throws me off from believing 100 percent it's him. All the insiders simply seem to have ''heard" not ''seen." There's no real solid proof to him being the one either.

There's so much about the Erdrick situation that just seems phony and off to me while also seeming likely.

He's likely because he's Erdrick, the star of a very beloved JRPG in his homeland.

He's unlikely (at least in my eyes) because Square keeps their secrets, and this would be HUGE for Japan. They'd go nuts. So I can't see them letting him slip out as early into the game as he did.
Has Square used leak bait before?

Top Bottom