• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Back when we thought there'd be a bajillion echos, Zack was an easy pick for cloud. There really were great ideas, and it made sense to add them because why not and it shouldn't be that much trouble, but I guess it still takes a decent amount of resources for them.

I'm all for echo dlc packs, it just seems like Nintendo is weird (and might not do it). :O

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Back when we thought there'd be a bajillion echos, Zack was an easy pick for cloud. There really were great ideas, and it made sense to add them because why not and it shouldn't be that much trouble, but I guess it still takes a decent amount of resources for them.

I'm all for echo dlc packs, it just seems like Nintendo is weird (and might not do it). :O
it would such a good idea like I'd send them an entire essay of good echo picks the only one's i can't do are the fire emblem characters only one that made sense to me was black knight for ike put thats dead

D

Deleted member

Ah, I see we’ve entered the “WHERE THE **** IS THE DIRECT I NEED IT NOW AHHHHHH” phase.
Don’t worry, SLIME TIME will come soon enough.

D

Deleted member

Ah, I see we’ve entered the “WHERE THE **** IS THE DIRECT I NEED IT NOW AHHHHHH” phase.
Don’t worry, SLIME TIME will come soon enough.
Slime? Only if there are Alts based off of the other six cause that would be hilarious. SLIME TIME

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the Brave connotation isn't a huge stretch for Sora.

But that's only if Valor form is his final smash, which depending how much they really wanna bother Disney is entirely possible.

I just wish Sakurai would hurry it the hell up, show me Erdrick, and just end my damn suffering.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I feel like the Brave connotation isn't a huge stretch for Sora.

But that's only if Valor form is his final smash, which depending how much they really wanna bother Disney is entirely possible.

I just wish Sakurai would hurry it the hell up, show me Erdrick, and just end my damn suffering.
I think they should have just told us all the characters at once rip off that band-aid

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think they should have just told us all the characters at once rip off that band-aid
Yeah, but then there wouldn't be people buying Fighter's Passes blindly in hopes that their favorites might make it in.

Thaaaaaat's capitalism!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the speculation time can be fun, especially that there's more puzzle pieces like form the data and all that. But I will say that right now I feel it's been long enough and I'd like to see some info from nintendo.

My prediction is a direct around the 4th of february. Could take it sooner too tho :)

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Yeah, but then there wouldn't be people buying Fighter's Passes blindly in hopes that their favorites might make it in.

Thaaaaaat's capitalism!
i mean yeah there is that but who would blindly buy it not knowing what your getting they could've sold us a fortnite guy and its yours and you have to live with it

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Thaaaaaat's capitalism!
Sakurai warned people not to buy the Pass if they don't appreciate the simple value of having 5 new characters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Don't worry guys, I figured out a way for everyone to be happy.
I would just like to point out that whenever this sort of joke is made, Geno almost always seems to be the base character. Maybe I am just remembering things wrong, but I wonder why if that is true.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I would just like to point out that whenever this sort of joke is made, Geno almost always seems to be the base character. Maybe I am just remembering things wrong, but I wonder why if that is true.
It's because it's easier to insert other characters's features on him, than inserting his features on other characters. :p

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It’s easy to add stuff to Geno and make it look funny as heck than say Sephiroth, or any other SE character.

Geno has been the pinnacle of memes even prior to SE talks.
95795F32-C8BC-4284-BAE1-BB240067EEA1.jpeg

*Luigi The President flashbacks intensifies*

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So I've noticed a trend with most (not all) people here in this thread bouncing off of Dragon Quest in the past before trying a different game and ending up loving it. I'm going to chalk this up to how unfortunately hard it is to get into Dragon Quest without doing a little research first before diving into the series. You can't dive into any game in the series blindly since they each focus on different things.

I'll say that these are the ones you shouldn't start with:
  • Dragon Quest 1&2. The only reason you might want to start with these games is because you've heard that playing these games makes eventually playing Dragon Quest 3 way better. You heard right. However, I doubt a newcomer wants to make a 3 game commitment as their "first" foray into Dragon Quest, especially if they've already played tons of RPGs that have great stories and will be disappointed that these first couple of games merely have somewhat charming writing and tense resource management to complement the incredibly straightforward battle system.
  • Dragon Quest 7. I've actually heard okay things about this game, but it's loooooooooong. The story is apparently pretty good and it has a cool premise where you travel back in time on various islands to save them all from ruin in the present, each acting as a chapter on it's own. But it also has weird event flags on how to activate the next part of the story, which can be very frustrating if you're the kind of player that doesn't like looking at guides every step of the way.
  • Dragon Quest 9. It's completely different from the rest of the series, and whether you like it or not will have no bearing on your opinion of the other games. It's good for playing after getting familiar with the other games proper, especially since it has lots of callbacks, but it's not a proper first impression at all.
  • Dragon Quest 10. It's an MMO that's not even playable outside of Japan lol.
I'm iffy on these games as starters:
  • Dragon Quest 3. It stands on its own, and is a great RPG to play even today! But all your party members are customizable by the player, and while that's fun and affects the game on repeat playthroughs, if you're looking for cool interactions between party members you're out of luck. The exploration and battle tactics aspect of this game are timeless, however, if that's what you're into.
  • Dragon Quest 6. I haven't played this game yet, so I can't safely recommend or warn against this game, so it goes into the "iffy" section by default.
And these are all the best places to start for anyone interested:
  • Dragon Quest 4. Either the DS or the smartphone versions are greatly recommended, but this game has a unique hook most RPGs even today don't have: it has 5 chapters, the first 4 of which focus on a different set of party members as they each go through a little story that reveals more of the main plot. The 5th and final chapter introduces the main character proper who you finally get to control (you name them at the beginning of the game) as they find and recruit the party members of the first 4 chapters on their journey around the world to defeat the main villain. It's a super cool game. That said, you have to put a lot of time into the game to reach Chapter 5, so keep that in mind if you want to check it out. If you get the smartphone version, you won't get buttons like with the DS version, but you'll get a feature called "party chat," which is pressing the talk button to trigger a conversation with each of your party members reacting to the current situation. The writing is SUPER charming and funny and more than makes up for the fact that your finger is used for moving around rather than a D pad.
  • Dragon Quest 5. The one I started with. I'm currently replaying it and it's still my favorite game so far. You want a Dragon Quest game with a really good and gripping story? Here you go: you play as a child following around their father, and eventually learn that your mother is missing. Stuff happens, and now you're playing as an adult, and the entire world has changed, as you continue your search. The game handles themes of growing up and becoming an adult extremely well, and it helps make the "save the world" backdrop feel extremely personal. Saving the world is secondary to finding out answers about your family and friends, which you journey around the entire world to discover. Along with human party members, the hero can eventually learn to recruit monsters into their party, giving the game a great mix of customization (monsters) and character interaction (main character with the human party members). As the cherry on top, this game has party chat just like with DQ4. This game is so tender and warm, I love it with all my heart, and I'm extremely glad it's the first one I played.
  • Dragon Quest 8 and 11. I still haven't gotten around to these games, but I've heard nothing but good things about both of them. From what I know, Dragon Quest 11 is somehow even better than 8, so if anything 11 is the best modern game to try out as your first, and maybe check out 8 afterward since they're both gorgeous third person RPGs instead of the more classic top down ones like the earlier ones.
I hope this guide is of some use when it comes to anyone curious about Dragon Quest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thaaaaaat's capitalism!
and that's why I didn't buy the Fighter's pass yet. I might just to help get a possible season 2 going cause I don't really like any of the characters announced so far and the Very likely character that is coming. So far I have no connection to any of the characters announced or the most likely Square rep. No Offense to their fans but I'm waiting before I jump into and buy the Fighter's pass.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
i mean after that last smash direct that made people lose hope in any dlc
The fact that Joker is among the five characters shouldn't put everyone in such a "gloom n' doom" attitude, but then again, since I'm among the people who lean towards a full third-party pass, and also someone who never goes too pissy over characters (yes, I hate Corrin, but I still decided to give the character a chance in hopes that maybe I could warm up to him, even if the end result wasn't good, period), maybe I'm missing something.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
and that's why I didn't buy the Fighter's pass yet. I might just to help get a possible season 2 going cause I don't really like any of the characters announced so far and the Very likely character that is coming. So far I have no connection to any of the characters announced or the most likely Square rep. No Offense to their fans but I'm waiting before I jump into and buy the Fighter's pass.
I feel the same. I'll just wait for the announcements to be made, and judge each one individually. I only ever recommend buying the entire pass if all characters interest you. If there's at least one character you don't want, don't buy the whole thing. You only get a discount of $5 for buying the entire thing anyway.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So I've noticed a trend with most (not all) people here in this thread bouncing off of Dragon Quest in the past before trying a different game and ending up loving it. I'm going to chalk this up to how unfortunately hard it is to get into Dragon Quest without doing a little research first before diving into the series. You can't dive into any game in the series blindly since they each focus on different things.

• Dragon Quest 1&2. The only reason you might want to start with these games is because you've heard that playing these games makes eventually playing Dragon Quest 3 way better. You heard right. However, I doubt a newcomer wants to make a 3 game commitment as their "first" foray into Dragon Quest, especially if they've already played tons of RPGs that have great stories and will be disappointed that these first couple of games merely have somewhat charming writing and tense resource management to complement the incredibly straightforward battle system.
  • Dragon Quest 7. I've actually heard okay things about this game, but it's loooooooooong. The story is apparently pretty good and it has a cool premise where you travel back in time on various islands to save them all from ruin in the present, each acting as a chapter on it's own. But it also has weird event flags on how to activate the next part of the story, which can be very frustrating if you're the kind of player that doesn't like looking at guides every step of the way.
  • Dragon Quest 9. It's completely different from the rest of the series, and whether you like it or not will have no bearing on your opinion of the other games. It's good for playing after getting familiar with the other games proper, especially since it has lots of callbacks, but it's not a proper first impression at all.
  • Dragon Quest 3. It stands on its own, and is a great RPG to play even today! But all your party members are customizable by the player, and while that's fun and affects the game on repeat playthroughs, if you're looking for cool interactions between party members you're out of luck. The exploration and battle tactics aspect of this game are timeless, however, if that's what you're into.
  • Dragon Quest 6. I haven't played this game yet, so I can't safely recommend or warn against this game, so it goes into the "iffy" section by default.
  • Dragon Quest 4. Either the DS or the smartphone versions are greatly recommended, but this game has a unique hook most RPGs even today don't have: it has 5 chapters, the first 4 of which focus on a different set of party members as they each go through a little story that reveals more of the main plot. The 5th and final chapter introduces the main character proper who you finally get to control (you name them at the beginning of the game) as they find and recruit the party members of the first 4 chapters on their journey around the world to defeat the main villain. It's a super cool game. That said, you have to put a lot of time into the game to reach Chapter 5, so keep that in mind if you want to check it out. If you get the smartphone version, you won't get buttons like with the DS version, but you'll get a feature called "party chat," which is pressing the talk button to trigger a conversation with each of your party members reacting to the current situation. The writing is SUPER charming and funny and more than makes up for the fact that your finger is used for moving around rather than a D pad.
  • Dragon Quest 5. The one I started with. I'm currently replaying it and it's still my favorite game so far. You want a Dragon Quest game with a really good and gripping story? Here you go: you play as a child following around their father, and eventually learn that your mother is missing. Stuff happens, and now you're playing as an adult, and the entire world has changed, as you continue your search. The game handles themes of growing up and becoming an adult extremely well, and it helps make the "save the world" backdrop feel extremely personal. Saving the world is secondary to finding out answers about your family and friends, which you journey around the entire world to discover. Along with human party members, the hero can eventually learn to recruit monsters into their party, giving the game a great mix of customization (monsters) and character interaction (main character with the human party members). This game is so tender and warm, I love it with all my heart, and I'm extremely glad it's the first one I played.
  • Dragon Quest 8 and 11. I still haven't gotten around to these games, but I've heard nothing but good things about both of them. From what I know, Dragon Quest 11 is somehow even better than 8, so if anything 11 is the best modern game to try out as your first, and maybe check out 8nafterward since they're both gorgeous third person RPGs instead of the more classic top down ones like the earlier ones.
I hope this guide is of some use when it comes to anyone curious about Dragon Quest.
I appreciate sharing the low-down on Dragon Quest games, though I will say that even if I haven't played 11, I think that if you start with DQ11, the 8th one will pale in comparison, for graphics, story, as well as skills and more.
DQ8 was good at the time, it brough DQ to full on 3d, but unless someone is great at enjoying older games, I'm not sure they would be able to move onto that one after 11.

Other than that, most of what you said makes sense :)
DQ7 was kind of my first one, in that it's the first one I actually sat down and played through, and even if it's long, it's somewhat expected of an rpg to be long. It does a good job of being interesting with the class system, I'd say it's not a bad game to start with. But that's just my opinion.

DQ9 is great if you like customization, but definitely not really like the others, and there's a lot of side quests that make it a bit different. Not so great if you want impactful personality and story.

DQ1 to 3 I'd only recommend if you don't mind retro and simplicity. Then the others will feel like there's more depth too. But it can be interesting to go back to older ones too for some people. Someone could play DQ3 first since chronologically it's the first, but someone who wants to play all of them might enjoy the progression of starting with DQ1.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The fact that Joker is among the five characters shouldn't put everyone in such a "gloom n' doom" attitude, but then again, since I'm among the people who lean towards a full third-party pass, and also someone who never goes too pissy over characters (yes, I hate Corrin, but I still decided to give the character a chance in hopes that maybe I could warm up to him, even if the end result wasn't good, period), maybe I'm missing something.
i mean for my case seeing joker blew my mind because i didn't think he had a chance and it made me happy because now we can have Persona and SMT music in the game but I still didn't buy it I want too know who else joins the party but they got brownie points with me for getting persona 5 in smash hearing last surprise in the game with be wonderful

D

Deleted member

Just you wait and see that next direct, Sakurai reveals that the next character is...

...going to be revealed at a later date. Then we get one more slot with an even more abstract codename and stats

• Dragon Quest 5. The one I started with. I'm currently replaying it and it's still my favorite game so far. You want a Dragon Quest game with a really good and gripping story? Here you go: you play as a child following around their father, and eventually learn that your mother is missing. Stuff happens, and now you're playing as an adult, and the entire world has changed, as you continue your search. The game handles themes of growing up and becoming an adult extremely well, and it helps make the "save the world" backdrop feel extremely personal. Saving the world is secondary to finding out answers about your family and friends, which you journey around the entire world to discover. Along with human party members, the hero can eventually learn to recruit monsters into their party, giving the game a great mix of customization (monsters) and character interaction (main character with the human party members). As the cherry on top, this game has party chat just like with DQ4. This game is so tender and warm, I love it with all my heart, and I'm extremely glad it's the first one I played.
  • Dragon Quest 8 and 11. I still haven't gotten around to these games, but I've heard nothing but good things about both of them. From what I know, Dragon Quest 11 is somehow even better than 8, so if anything 11 is the best modern game to try out as your first, and maybe check out 8nafterward since they're both gorgeous third person RPGs instead of the more classic top down ones like the earlier ones.
Pretty good list, I might add a few details:

7 is pretty good, but agree that it may be a turnoff for some people due to the slow pace (PS1 version especially, which is the second DQ game I played) and can take a couple of hours before first encounter but after that the game is pretty engaging. The narrative around restoring the world is unique and presents a great array of characters and stories but is a bit loose.

9 is good as well, but depends on liking customization, loose narrative and that the gameplay is a bit focused on the streetpass so its a bit hard to get into.

4, 5, 8 and 11 are great recommendations to start because I feel they have a more focused story compared to other ones which is a bit looser. Currently playing XI, characters and gameplay are great so far. Both XI and VIII are worth trying considering a few different mechanics (Tension vs Pep), good storylines, and provide a good amount of challenge. As for VIII, both 3DS and PS2 have their up and downs and depends on what you prefer (extra content vs graphics).

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
i mean for my case seeing joker blew my mind because i didn't think he had a chance and it made me happy because now we can have Persona and SMT music in the game but I still didn't buy it I want too know who else joins the party but they got brownie points with me for getting persona 5 in smash hearing last surprise in the game with be wonderful
I haven't bought it either. Not so much because of any need to know the remaining characters, when it's just been a simple thing of my brother and I (because we both own the game) not pulling the trigger even though we've got everything ready to go. As for myself, I'm ready for the worst just as much as I am for the best, so no regrets if/when buying it.

Not to be that guy, but what do you mean by "characters"? There's only one real announced character and that's Joker. The only two characters that have anything going for them that may mean they're in Smash, are Erdrick and Steve, but they're still both rumours.

D

Deleted member

Just you wait and see that next direct, Sakurai reveals that the next character is...

...going to be revealed at a later date. Then we get one more slot with an even more abstract codename and stats[/SPOILER
Lmao you got me here

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Eh, I understand having reservations and that's why Sakurai said to only buy the pass if you really have faith in its value. Joker was an AMAZING announcement, especially since I love the heck out of Persona, but the Erdrick and Steve rumblings immediately turned me off from the pass. Nothing against their fans, but they're just wholly uninteresting to me, and if those rumors are true, then buying the pass for the value isn't personally worthwhile. I'll probably just buy Joker and wait to see who the last two characters are if, hypothetically, Erdrick and Steve are in.

Just be wise and be certain about your purchases. That's... kinda just a life thing, isn't it? Please be careful with your hard-earned casharoni?

D

Deleted member

I haven't bought it either. Not so much because of any need to know the remaining characters, when it's just been a simple thing of my brother and I (because we both own the game) not pulling the trigger even though we've got everything ready to go. As for myself, I'm ready for the worst just as much as I am for the best, so no regrets if/when buying it.

Not to be that guy, but what do you mean by "characters"? There's only one real announced character and that's Joker. The only two characters that have anything going for them that may mean they're in Smash, are Erdrick and Steve, but they're still both rumours.
I was looking at it like if Erdrick and Steve were in I would have no interest in the Fighters pass at all. Even without them while I don't dislike Joker and wanted to play his game I don't have a connection with him either. Steve and Erdrick are like, my least wanted realistic characters. Steve getting in over Banjo would be such a shame and I don't think Steve should get in the game. Erdrick while I don't have anything against him or DQ I would prefer Geno and I have no interest in DQ really.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

...going to be revealed at a later date. Then we get one more slot with an even more abstract codename and stats

Pretty good list, I might add a few details:

7 is pretty good, but agree that it may be a turnoff for some people due to the slow pace (PS1 version especially, which is the second DQ game I played) and can take a couple of hours before first encounter but after that the game is pretty engaging. The narrative around restoring the world is unique and presents a great array of characters and stories but is a bit loose.

9 is good as well, but depends on liking customization, loose narrative and that the gameplay is a bit focused on the streetpass so its a bit hard to get into.

4, 5, 8 and 11 are great recommendations to start because I feel they have a more focused story compared to other ones which is a bit looser. Currently playing XI, characters and gameplay are great so far. Both XI and VIII are worth trying considering a few different mechanics (Tension vs Pep), good storylines, and provide a good amount of challenge. As for VIII, both 3DS and PS2 have their up and downs and depends on what you prefer (extra content vs graphics).
'Thank you, but our character is in another castle direct'
yeah naw. :O

I never tried the streetpass thing for 9, and anyway I dont think anyone around here wouldve been playing it. The only thing it really is useful for is the dungeon maps, which you dont need to complete the main game anyway. Last time I played I just created my entire party and it worked well the entire game like a regular one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Playing DQ VI right now. Will update if anyone is Curious. but as soon as I turned the Game on the volume was so loud it hurt my ears, Off to a bad start but that was more my fault than anything lmao.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Eh, I understand having reservations and that's why Sakurai said to only buy the pass if you really have faith in its value. Joker was an AMAZING announcement, especially since I love the heck out of Persona, but the Erdrick and Steve rumblings immediately turned me off from the pass. Nothing against their fans, but they're just wholly uninteresting to me, and if those rumors are true, then buying the pass for the value isn't personally worthwhile. I'll probably just buy Joker and wait to see who the last two characters are if, hypothetically, Erdrick and Steve are in.

Just be wise and be certain about your purchases. That's... kinda just a life thing, isn't it? Please be careful with your hard-earned casharoni?
We don't know how the characters would play though. What if they'd be fun? The idea of steve feels boring to me in my head, but there's still a chance I'd get it if really fun (and depending on the skins). Not getting the fighter pass anyway. I can see it useful for tournament setups and things like that.

Top Bottom