• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Ooh, opinions of the Square Seven? Let's see here:

Geno: Obviously, as a massive Geno supporter and SMRPG lover in general, I think my opinion here is pretty clear. I will say that I'm not sure how much leverage he has for Smash, given how old and unused a character he is. I'm of the opinion that I'd love a revival for him via Smash, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that. Bringing him back in the Mario series alone would be amazing. Just bring this boy back and please, for the love of all that is holy, bring Mallow with him, too. They both have so much potential with Mallow's at least being mostly realized in SMRPG alone, with Geno's being shoved to the wayside.

Crono: What can I even say? Chrono Trigger is such a classic RPG and what a lot of people think of when they think of the quintessential SNES RPG. Crono is just cool as hell, and I'd really like to see him in Smash. Given he has the same pitfall of old and unused that Geno has, however, I understand his chances are also abysmal. It'd be cool to imagine it happening, though... and the music that would come with him! Chills, man. Chills.

Sephiroth: I'm of the unpopular opinion that FFVII is... not that great. It's probably because I didn't grow up with it, but I just can't see the appeal. I was really happy for Cloud's massive fanbase when he got in, and I'd be just as pleased for Sephiroth's fans if he made it, too. With that being said, though, nothing about silver-haired pretty man really interests me at all. He does have nice move set potential, though.

Sora: Egh. For one, I really don't want Disney anywhere near Smash, not because of company meddling, but because I feel both worlds just... don't mesh in my eyes. It just doesn't feel right to me, y'know? I don't have much explanation for that other than just kind of an iffiness in my mind. It's also likely because of bias, as well, because I've just never seen the appeal in Kingdom Hearts. I'd be happy for his fans if he got in, but I can't say I'm not against his inclusion. Sorry, dudes.

Luminary + Erdrick: greasy hair nasty boy get yourself some tresemme Ah, DQ heroes. Classic silent protagonists. I can't say they make me hype at all, as I've never gotten into DQ, but DQ's legacy does make them deserving of a spot in Smash. I frankly think we would have gotten Erdrick sooner in particular if Square wasn't... Square. I personally don't care for them, but I care for their fans and would be happy for them if they made it. Their movepool potential is also really solid.

Slime: Now we have someone whose movepool isn't solid... because he isn't a solid substance! Haha. Anyway, naw, I love Slime. These little guys are so cute, and I could see Sakurai making a crazy move set for this squishy friend. Even in my neutrality for DQ, Slime is a character I'd legitimately like to see. Sure, he's a 'generic mook', but he's more on the level of Pikachu than Piranha Plant. He's a mascot character and deserving of the spot. Plus, look at him! He's so cuuuute.

BONUS ROUND - BUB: :EvilBub: BUB!!

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Since Brave's height is similar to Ness/Lucas, I went looking for a way to compare it with Cloud's. Here's what I got.
Here's one I made earlier, it's not perfect, and cloud is about 1 pixel taller than he should be as compared to Kirby (with similarly increasing tolerance, so as to say he's about half a pixel taller than the pk kids than he should be.) Sorry for the Kirby and Pikmin being included, as said, this was made earlier.

Scale.png

That said where's the Ness/Lucas size coming from? That's not the disproved height value thing rearing it's head again is it?

If we are to continue the trend of newcomers having progressively longer and longer smash attacks, Sephiroth is the next step..
Surely Zhao Yun is the next step in that case?

I'm not going to list all my opinions of the 7, except to say I have an obvious love for Slime. I love Dragon Quest too, but honestly the heroes are the least exciting thing about those games, so I struggle to care about any of them as playable characters, and would generally be more excited by the prospects of a stage, spirits and hopefully an AT they would bring with them.

D

Deleted member

With everyone posting their thoughts on all the characters I suppose I'll throw my hat into this ring too.
Geno, would be awesome. To see such a character make it in through fan demand alone and nothing else would be spectacular. I love SMRPG, and he could have a really cool moveset. Although he's not my first choice personally I'd still be happy with him.
My #2 out of all of these. Chrono Trigger is one of the games that really got me into RPGs, and is still one of my favorites to this day. With his in game abilities with party techs, I think if they incorporate those he could have a really unique moveset. Maybe Down-B to swap party members for duos that changes all of his specials.
Honestly... I'm not a fan. I feel like that FFVII over the years has had its presence totally bloated with all the spinoff games and even a movie. I don't have anything against Sephiroth as a character, but I would MUCH rather another character from a different FF game get this spot.
Never played a Kingdom Hearts game, but he seems cool. I was never really a big Disney fan so I'm not personally inclined to play them, but from what I have seen of the games I think that Sora could really have a fun moveset in Smash. I wouldn't mind him at all.
Yeah, you all know how I feel by now. Personally, I would like Slime the most, but I do feel like a protagonist would represent the series as a whole better, namely Erdrick of course. The Luminary would be nice too, for such a range of abilities he has, but Erdrick is more important in his own series really.
Though... if I had a choice, I would choose DQ5's protagonist. A whole moveset of summoning monsters for attacks would be really fun and do a good job representing the series as whole.
Oh yeah, I also want to say I really appreciate how chill most non-fans have been. Yeah there's that vocal minority but even if you don't care about the series at all, it just makes me glad that most of you guys are just nice about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Uhhh.. Why?
Can't the dude love a character in the game and think another one doesn't deserve it? How is that hypocritical?
It's his opinion. Nothing more..
It is ABSOUTELY hypocritical. No questions about it. To slouch Geno for being a one game character from ages ago, and then praise Crono. They are both one game characters with a legacy because of the quality of their game. To compliment one and then trash talk the other?

That is nothing short of hypocritical. Opinion or not.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
It is ABSOUTELY hypocritical. No questions about it. To slouch Geno for being a one game character from ages ago, and then praise Crono. They are both one game characters with a legacy because of the quality of their game. To compliment one and then trash talk the other?

That is nothing short of hypocritical. Opinion or not.
From the perspective of destroying a character based on being a one-off is definitely hypocrisy, but I don't believe he made that case.
He simply dislikes the character and doesn't think he represents the series he is in very well. There's nothing hypocritical about that.
Specially considering Crono is THE protagonist of the first game of his series.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
My thoughts on the 7

Geno: The reason I joined Smashboards back in 2007 was to support Geno for Brawl. He's been one of my most wanted every since and was one of my ballot votes.

Sora: I'm pretty sure I'd like him if I played his games. I'm a pretty big fan of Action RPGs so I think it'll be fun.

Crono: Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite JRPGs and Crono has a great design, imo. Would really enjoy Crono and his songs in Smash.

Sephiroth: Big fan of FF7 and Sephiroth has one of the best themes ever. Although I know people don't want a second FF7 rep, I'm sure he'll be fun if he's in.

Erdrick: Played DQ3 a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. It was my first DQ game so it introduced me to the series. After realizing that DQ3 was so influential in Japan, it made me realize that Erdrick has a chance at being in, and became a big supporter.

Slime: I became a DQ fan after playing DQ3 and while Slime is the mascot, I prefer having Erdrick, or at least one of the heroes as playable characters. I can still see the potential in Slimes moveset and how fun the character could be.

Luminary:
I'm waiting for the Switch version to play DQXI so I don't have much to say about him. I've heard great things about the game so I'm sure I'd like him eventually.

(Shout outs to Secret of Mana reps and Neku from TWEWY)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So I watched the ending of KH3… all i'm gonna say is, it would be hilarious if they tie it with Sora joining Smash, lmao. You will see when you play it, not gonna spoil anything. It's just a joke I'm making anyway (That ending is gonna destroy people tho, let me tell ya… whoo-wee)

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
So I watched the ending of KH3… all i'm gonna say is, it would be hilarious if they tie it with Sora joining Smash, lmao. You will see when you play it, not gonna spoil anything. It's just a joke I'm making anyway (That ending is gonna destroy people tho, let me tell ya… whoo-wee)
I cried with that ending, but if it turns out to tie with him being in Smash, my view on the ending would take a 180° turn. I'd go from crying to celebrating.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
DUDE
I thought the EXACT same thing.
I really did think it would fit Smash so perfectly, it's not even funny.
But, if I were S-E, the ending would be a perfect premise for the next saga. Maybe they can use that new saga as well to fix the horrible writing the series ended with. As much as I cried and loved some things they did, some other things really were left open, some scenes had bad direction, and narratively speaking needed something more. Also, I think it's the perfect chance for KH to fulfill its original promise: the ultimate Disney-FF crossover.
I want KH4 and 5 to have Cloud and Mickey as the protagonists. XP

Also, remember we still have to see the Epilogue.
The secret film will be something more off, I feel.

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
I cried with that ending, but if it turns out to tie with him being in Smash, my view on the ending would take a 180° turn. I'd go from crying to celebrating.
Sigh I going to have to put everything KH related on ignore on yt until kh3 ends up getting a Switch port, if it does, won't I

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Sigh I going to have to put everything KH related on ignore on yt until kh3 ends up getting a Switch port, if it does, won't I
Yeah youtube is a total mess from a few days ago, also twitter. I have never seen something from Disney / SE leak so hard dude, geez…

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Oh well, since everyone is being sentimental with which Square Enix character they would want, I may as well join the party.

Geno: My history with Geno and Super Mario RPG is weird. I was really late when it comes to Super Mario RPG train. I always heard about the game, but I didn't play it up until my older cousin gave me some left over games that he forgot he had on his Super Nintendo; and sure enough, Super Mario RPG was one of them that he forgot he had apparently. It wasn't until Brawl where I kept on hearing about it even more and made me play the game. I did play it during the Brawl era, never finished it. I forget why I didn't. It wasn't until the Super NES Classic came along and played it completly. I don't really have much of an affinity for Geno compared to other characters on the list. I do understand why he's so important to the Smash fanbase, and if he gets in I'd be happy for his fans!

Sora: I've been a fan of Kingdom Hearts since the first game, and of the list Sora is easily my most wanted! I know people doubt him because of the Disney ties, but even honestly, I'm getting sick of this reasoning. I just think out of everyone Sora is the one on this list that has worldwide appeal along with Sepiroth. Kingdom Hearts right now is on a high with a new release, and if it ends up coming to the Switch at some point, Sora could handle both promotion and want from the Smash fanbase. Kingdom Hearts has other original owned content it doesn't need the Disney ties to bring to Smash. Also, Sora's moveset potential would be insane! Personally, I think Sora would push the magic/sword user combo even further than any of the Fire Emblem characters has already done and would still be pretty unique on his own even if he is a sword user.

Erdrick: Dragon Quest one of my first RPGs I've actually really got into. So, it means a lot to me just as much as Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. This was the series that made into an RPG nut that I am today! If he gets in, even with the many leaks I will still be excited for his reveal! Dragon Quest deserves the recognition over here and I can't believe that it's something that's just now getting talked about as a posibility for Smash. If Cloud didn't made it, I always thought it would've been Dragon Quest to be first the first Square character to make it.

Sephiroth: I would want Sephiroth just so that we can some more Final Fantasy 7 music up in Smash! Can you say "One Winged Angel," hello? He's probably the darkhorse choice of this list, between him and Chrono really are the darkhorse choices here! If he were to get in, he'd be our first third party villain to make it into the series. Smash does kinda needs some more villains in the roster. Other than maybe Eggman, Sephiroth can work to fit that mold. He one of the most well known villains out there in video game history, and he is sitll relevant. With FF7 remake coming out hopefully at some point. Also again the music thing, FF7 has some of the most amazing music and you only give two!

Slime: Hey, if Dragon Quest were to get someone else after Erdrick, Slime is your best bet. I don't know if they would go for Slime, which is probably the issue. Yes, Slime is the mascot of the series at this point, but wasn't there a reason as to why Chocobo or Black Mage wouldn't work for Final Fantasy? It seems like for franchises like FF and for Dragon Quest, they'll just go for the character from a specific game that people are the most familiar with from that series. Yes, Slime is recognizable, but who knows I mean after Piranah Plant anything can go as playstyle if you ask me!

Chrono: I love the game Chorno Trigger, but the actual main protagonist himself. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite RPGs, but if I had to choose someone from Chrono Trigger aside from Chrono himself, it would really be Lucca. If anything, yes he's on the list, but I don't see Square or even Nintendo for that matter wanting to go for him. Yes, his game is a classic and he would fit that retro character mold. With the way Square has been treating Chrono themselves lately I don't see him happening really.

Luminary: After finally playing Dragon Quest XI last year, I have to say Luminary is the most boring protagonist yet for the series! If he's just an alt for Erdrick then fine, that would be the only way I'd accept him. I love his game, but him as a character meh.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I have yet to see it, but I think I have an idea of what the ending is gonna be like.

If that's the case, then I think this is literally the most subliminal message of all time that Sora could in fact be coming. Not counting my eggs before they hatch because I learned my lesson from Isaac the hard way.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno: Cool design and personality and should be in Smash.

Slime: cool/cute slime thing that made me interested in Dragon Quest.

Other DQ characters: I don't really care.

Sephiroth: I still don't care.

Sora: He's Disney so I guess I care sort-of, but I still don't really care. If he comes with Donald & Goofy or other Disney characters I'll care. -I find it weird how Mickey's mouth is stuck in a grin, even when he's sad, though, at least based on the KH3 ending I just watched because I thought Sora died or something based on what I've read before. I'll also be honest - the voice-acting seems cheesy for some reason, but the designs and stuff are good.

Steve: epic block boi that can do almost anything and should be in Smash alongside Banjo Bear and his wise-cracking friend Kazooie Breegull.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm seeing a lot of opinions here that are just
"Everyone else: don't know, don't care
Guy I like: THE BEST CHARACTER EVER"

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Luminary does somehow make it in (either the character or just a skin for erdrick), I can definitely see some people rockin' the 'Trunks' tag.
He even has a freakin sword, so.. :)

I mean, that's how it works. People like certain things and don't like other things.
I'm glad when people are actually honest about how they feel instead of making up stories.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Luminary does somehow make it in (either the character or just a skin for erdrick), I can definitely see some people rockin' the 'Trunks' tag.
He even has a freakin sword, so.. :)

I mean, that's how it works. People like certain things and don't like other things.
I'm glad when people are actually honest about how they feel instead of making up stories.
Yeah but there's really no point in including a character in a list and then only putting in content for just one area of that list.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
That's the way opinions go. You can't really criticize someone for simply not liking a character. If it's for a completely unrelated/unjustifiable reason, then there's room for a debate.

And since everyone else is doing it:

Geno/Erdrick/Luminary: I don't care about any of these guys.

Slime: Could be interesting, but not one I'm actively hoping for.

Crono/Sora: I would be OK with these guys.

Sephiroth: If they could balance him, I'd be good with him getting in.

In all honesty, I'm not really rooting for any of these characters.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah but there's really no point in including a character in a list and then only putting in content for just one area of that list.
Besides expressing that they dont care that much for the character, which is still something about them. It can be alright to know where people stand.
Personally, I'd rather people talk about their favorite characters from SE, period, not just the 7 that happened to be listed here. But you know, people follow patterns sometimes i guess. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's the way opinions go. You can't really criticize someone for simply not liking a character. If it's for a completely unrelated/unjustifiable reason, then there's room for a debate.

And since everyone else is doing it:

Geno/Erdrick/Luminary: I don't care about any of these guys.

Slime: Could be interesting, but not one I'm actively hoping for.

Crono/Sora: I would be OK with these guys.

Sephiroth: If they could balance him, I'd be good with him getting in.

In all honesty, I'm not really rooting for any of these characters.
Is there an SE character you want that isn't on the list

D

Deleted member

I find it a bit of a shame really, considering that every character belongs at least to a great game. Would like for more people to be inclined to play a few of them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I find it a bit of a shame really, considering that every character belongs at least to a great game. Would like for more people to be inclined to play a few of them.
Everyone has different tastes. There's plenty of companies considered to have great games that I may just like one title.
SE is different for me though. I like almost all of their games, which is pretty amazing now that I think about it. It helps that they make a lot of rpgs :p

Side note, I was looking for art of a chibi version of girl erdrick, and I havent found much. This is the closest I could find:

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Hmm the Square 7...

Geno: I like Geno and thought he was cool back when I first played Super Mario RPG. I've since kinda moved on if I'm being honest. I'd be cool to see him make a return to Mario games but I'm a lot more apathetic about him now than anything.

Sora: Sora was never my favorite thing about Kingdom Hearts, but I liked the series for a while before it just became way too hard to follow it across all the different consoles. And now that they have the series all bundled up in preparation for KH3 I just don't have the time or interest to try and get caught back up, especially since I won't have anyway to play KH3 any time soon. My biggest issue with Sora is that the mainline games haven't ever been on Nintendo consoles, and I'd prefer a series to have a deeper history with Nintendo than a few side games. I wouldn't be upset to see him in the same way as getting someone like Steve or Master Chief though.

Crono: Heard great things but never got around to it. Mostly apathetic with a slight leaning towards bummed it's not someone else.

Sephiroth: I can accept Cloud getting in as the face of Final Fantasy despite not being from a Nintendo game but getting a second character from the same game over almost anyone else would be a real shame. Would be pretty bummed to see him.

Erdrick: Never played the games but acknowledge the iconic nature of the series. 100% no issues if Erdrick gets in.

Slime: My experience with Slime begins and ends with that one Sports game he showed up it. He was cute and fun and while I've never played Dragon Quest I really think Slime would be a blast to play as. My first pick for the Square 7.

Luminary: See Erdrick but deduct a few points for not being the most iconic hero I guess.

Other Square I'd like to see: Neku, Black Mage, Chocobo Knight(Moogle on a Chocobo)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is exactly why the RTC thread is a painful mess sometimes. God it's hell.

All the characters are good and in great games/series btw I like them all that's my take but also none of them are 2B

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

All the characters are good and in great games/series btw I like them all that's my take but also none of them are 2B
I admit it could be nice if people tried to see the merit of other good characters/games. I think 'competing' for a spot makes some people kind of dismissive.

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Though personally I find it understandable
If you haven't played DQ then you miss out on 3 characters or for other games you need to have access to Playstation consoles while Smashbros is Nintendo before all else and finally some of the games are older than the people on here.

D

Deleted member

I admit it could be nice if people tried to see the merit of other good characters/games. I think 'competing' for a spot makes some people kind of dismissive.
Seriously. I do understand that perspective, but the divisive mentality some people take on is kinda ridiculous. Every character on the list has their merits to be in the game, I wish that some people could be more open minded about it.
Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone but like I said I really hate the divisive mentality some people have over all of this.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Chance: 0%
Never heard of it so it's too obscure
Want: 0%
Lol who is this

Nom.
My waifu from Awakening x5

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Yeah sadly the community is built on competition, in order for me to get the character I want someone else can't get the character they want. In a perfect world we would all realize we're Smash fans first and fans of other characters second.

Calane

Smash Ace
I haven't posted in a while, so I guess I'll join in on this opinion sharing thing.

Geno: While Super Mario RPG was one of my favorite games as a kid, I never really wanted Geno in Smash. However, I do find the dedication of his fans to be admirable and would be very happy for them if he got in. I would mostly be indifferent to his inclusion myself, though.

Sora: He's cool. I've only ever played two games in the KH series (Re: coded & Dream Drop Distance), but I liked those fine enough. He's not a character that I desperately want to see, but I wouldn't mind his inclusion at all.

Crono: Love Chrono Trigger, but I would much rather see Dragon Quest in Smash over it. That said, I like Crono a lot.

Sephiroth: To be honest, the idea of his inclusion does not excite me at all. We already have Final Fantasy in Smash and I'd much rather see a new SE franchise join it. I have nothing against the dude himself, though.

Erdrick: Dragon Quest is one of my favorite video game franchises of all time, and Erdrick would represent it the best in a game like Smash. Needless to say, I'd be overjoyed to see him included.

Slime: Probably the only character on this list that'd actually make me upset to see. It's not that I hate Slime, it's just that I don't feel like it'd be the best choice for DQ's first and only playable character in a game like Smash.

Luminary: While he wouldn't represent DQ quite as well as Erdrick, I would say that he's my second favorite choice on this list. A Hero really is the best choice for a first DQ representative, and I happen to be one of the weirdos who actually like his design. Luminary would make me very happy, even if I've yet to play his game (waiting for the Switch version).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though personally I find it understandable
If you haven't played DQ then you miss out on 3 characters or for other games you need to have access to Playstation consoles while Smashbros is Nintendo before all else and finally some of the games are older than the people on here.
Every game with the exception of FFVII(until later this year) has at least one playable entry in a Nintendo console, and even then FFVII has been on PC for around 20 years.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Damnit...
I promised it faaar back when Chrom was announced.

I'll go back into Sora's train. I know...I know.
I feel it's Erdrick, I'm 99% sure it's Erdrick but.

I'll believe in the 1%. I know it can happens. Those stats movements, the height compared to Cloud, it fit perfectly Sora.
So, I'm willing to believe it. I'm willing to be delusional.

I love each of the Square Enix characters possible. But Sora is my Wild-Dream most wanted, and to know that I defended him ironically in the General thread before genuinely defending him.

So let's go. The long way Around. I'll die on my hill. SORA FOR SMASH.

By the way. Currently rewritting the First page right now, sorry for the delay Dumb Study.

Top Bottom