• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
look on the bright side maybe the Nindies direct will be good at least it's something
Well we'll get Wargroove and Slay the Spire release dates probably, maybe even one for A Hat in Time, but I can't imagine anything else terribly exciting coming from a Nindies Showcase

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wouldn't mind having to wait a little longer for the next Direct, if only because it'd make sense to show Joker's gameplay once Piranha Plant is said and done, or at least, close to it.
I think the ideal would be a small smash direct where they show piranha plant before its release, with plenty of gameplay, then a snippet of what they have for Joker, which may be not much, and then finally a reveal for the next dlc character :)
Would be nice for it to be that simple right?

It's all just speculation, so don't take it seriously. Also, they have changed PP's stats from the last version to the current one. They could always change the weight value before release. I'm probably just being biased anyway.
Ya cuz they could change the height too ;)
I'm pretty curious what's coming for brave in whatever case, really.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I think the ideal would be a small smash direct where they show piranha plant before its release, with plenty of gameplay, then a snippet of what they have for Joker, which may be not much, and then finally a reveal for the next dlc character :)
Would be nice for it to be that simple right?

Ya cuz they could change the height too ;)
I'm pretty curious what's coming for brave in whatever case, really.
All I hope is that whoever Brave is, they please as many people as possible, while also being a fun character to use. As long as a lot of people are happy with Brave, I'll also be happy. I'll still hope for Sora regardless, I'll support him to the end of days.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Would be nice for it to be that simple right?.
It's more or less what I see coming. Just that it'd happen next month and that the next character would be kind of a gamble, part of me expects that because we already have data, the other doesn't because of the possibility of Nintendo not wanting to compress announcements that much.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I don't know how nobody posted this video yet, but for those who want to hype up their will to try DQ, watch this video:

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't know how nobody posted this video yet, but for those who want to hype up their will to try DQ, watch this video:
It actually has been posted earlier in the thread, but it's been about a month or so.

I've watched the video (I can confirm there are no real spoilers) and I agree that it's an excellent summation of why I love Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to apologize if I myself have ever come off like that. Honestly my hopes aren't up that much for him, despite what seems to be pointing in his favor I'm trying to not set myself up for potential disappointment.
But, at times it's hard to not be defensive when you have people saying "literally who" from one person and "generic anime swordfighter" from another and "shill pick" from another and "why isnt it x character" from another. Of course, I don't want to discredit those who don't like him at all but sometimes like I said it's hard supporting him lol
Like Ovaltine Ovaltine said, you are the chillest dude, or at least one of the chillest people in this thread, especially when it's hard not to be defensive, but you don't come off that way, and even if you did; let's be real. Everyone does that sometimes

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I suppose I'll do mine.

Geno: Honestly he seemed like the surest thing before the game launched. I guess I got caught up in TerminalMontage's conspiracies and I was really rooting for him. At this point I don't expect him to be DLC and it's a real shame that he'll miss out.

Sora: I mean, you can't look at my name and not think that I'm obsessed with Kingdom Hearts (right?). Sora is the frontrunner of my Big 3 along with 2B and Joker and I've already got one locked in. The moveset potential and the music possibilities are too delicious to pass up. It might be bias but goddammit Sora is my number one pick.

Crono: Possibly the least likely since he doesn't get a lot of buzz. Just not interested.

Sephiroth: If we are to continue the trend of newcomers having progressively longer and longer smash attacks, Sephiroth is the next step. Holding off the FF7 music and goodies only to get this guy as DLC is scummy and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll pass.

Erdrick: I can't say that that I've warmed up to Erdrick; more that I've resigned to acceptance of him. For some reason yall get depressed in here when someone says he isn't a "sUrE ThiNg" but at this point I really don't care. I don't care about Dragon Quest's prestige or how it "defined the genre" or whatever. But i also wouldn't mind him getting in. There are still 3 other DLC spots so I'm not going to lose sleep over one being a meh choice.

Slime: Dear god no! I take back what I said. I'll take a thousand Erdricks before I consider accepting Slime ever. I don't care if Plant let's the mooks in. Just please no.

Luminary: Who? Ugh I had to look this guy up and just no. I don't want this Trunks reskin. I'm just not a fan of Toriyama's character design. Sorrynotsorry.
Maybe if I play a Dragon Quest I would have a different opinion but it's not something that I'd be interested in going out of my way to pick up.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind having to wait a little longer for the next Direct, if only because it'd make sense to show Joker's gameplay once Piranha Plant is said and done, or at least, close to it.
If it ended up meaning that we'll at ieast know all the DLC characters by the time that Joker releases as DLC, I could stand the wait even more than I already am.

D

Deleted member

May I vent for a moment please? Okay so, I miss when Erdrick didn't look like a surefire thing. This thread used to Speculate, come up with Good arguments from all sides and was all around more fun and more hype. Now it's kinda..Not? It's not dead but there seems to be only one side to this and that's the Square rep must be Erdrick. No other Arguments really stand much ground to what we know with all the leaks and leakers.

And it isn't really hype either? **** I had to take a break cause the Square discussion stressed me out as Geno is one of the only two characters that I want. Seems like a lot of people want to take breaks too. I miss when we could discuss the Square rep being somebody else without looking like Conspiracy theorists. Every point against Erdrick has a rebuttal and for the most part every piece going for Erdrick just simply doesn't. It's so one-sided it kinda killed all the hype for me? It's not as exciting and Entertaining to Speculate when all the Arguments seem like a stretch.

Sorry for ranting I just needed to vent for a moment. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

May I vent for a moment please? Okay so, I miss when Erdrick didn't look like a surefire thing. This thread used to Speculate, come up with Good arguments from all sides and was all around more fun and more hype. Now it's kinda..Not? It's not dead but there seems to be only one side to this and that's the Square rep must be Erdrick. No other Arguments really stand much ground to what we know with all the leaks and leakers.

And it isn't really hype either? **** I had to take a break cause the Square discussion stressed me out as Geno is one of the only two characters that I want. Seems like a lot of people want to take breaks too. I miss when we could discuss the Square rep being somebody else without looking like Conspiracy theorists. Every point against Erdrick has a rebuttal and for the most part every piece going for Erdrick just simply doesn't. It's so one-sided it kinda killed all the hype for me? It's not as exciting and Entertaining to Speculate when all the Arguments seem like a stretch.

I get what you're saying. Even from the perspective of someone who really wants him, I do agree that discussion has more or less totally stagnated at the moment. But, with such an information drought we only really have leaks to go off of at the moment, so I guess we just gotta be patient.
And, who knows? Even if Geno sadly doesn't make it this time (though if I were you guys I wouldnt give up until its over), maybe another character you like a lot could get in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I'm not sure where you're coming from. And same with Flaxr XIII Flaxr XIII . Where are you seeing so many people saying it's a sure thing or getting bent out of shape if it doesn't follow that line?

The stats for 'brave' don't even fit with the leaks, the height doesn't work with the claims like the alt skins coming with it (like luminary, and I really doubt they'd use the 3ds version). And it's hard to tell who's piggybacking or not.

Altho, I haven't been too much around before this last week, so maybe I missed some stuff, but speculation is pretty open, imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well since everyone is in the mood might as well do it, forgive for the length and just be careful for spoilers if you wanted to play any. Just going to put together Luminary and Erdrick.

Geno: SMRPG is a series that was my actual introduction to RPGs when I was a kid (after a failed attempt at one of the NES DQ as I didnt understood the game), and is a game that I enjoyed thoroughly and still holds up. That said Geno is probably my least wanted here just because, I like everyone else more and the I find that the other series can bring a lot of more of neat stuff. And after replaying SMRPG recently, I found Bowser and Mallow more endearing than him.

Sora: KH is a series that I enjoy due to the crazy concept and mishmash of Nomura's designs and Disney. While its a series that makes little sense storywise, gameplay is fun and the series is quite a ride that I'm looking forward to playing 3 soon. Sora's abilities and playful personality would make him a great option, plus KH music and worlds are simply great. Overall Sora is a fun character to imagine in a game like Smash so he is my 3rd option.

Crono: If SMRPG was a game that properly introduced me to JRPGs, CT is the game that made me feel in love with them. Great music, great characters, enganging storyline, cool twists, great design, great graphics at the time of the SNES that still look great today... One cant praise this game enough. Crono is my 4th choice as while CT is a great game, I'm just feeling the others more.

Sephiroth: FFVII was my first FF and the impression that Sephiroth makes when you first encounter him is wow, he just casually murdered everyone that was in the Shinra building and you get lucky that you were imprisoned. His theme is pretty much one of the best in VII, and just the presence and actions he does in FFVII, not only regarding killing Aeris, but basically messing with Cloud's mind during a grand part of the game makes it a great hero-villain relationship. He is my 2nd choice, after all we got Cloud in the game and his katana would make a great moveset.

Erdrick/Luminary: DQ is a series that while the MC don't particularly shine due to being a blank state for the players, but these blank states help us to immerse ourselves fully into the world of DQ and experience unforgettable adventures. The world is filled with cool monsters, happy stories, sad stories, epic battles, great locales, memorable tunes (especially older games). The hero is also great due the amount of abilities, both magical and physical, and he would fit great with other heroes already in the game like Link and Cloud. He is my 1st choice.

Slime: Just like Erdrick, he is part of what makes DQ great. We have a few mooks in the game and he would fit with them, but at this point if you want to represent a series like DQ I would prefer a hero vastly. He would be my 5th choice.

Overall, I would be happy if any of these picks get in.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure where you're coming from. And same with Flaxr XIII Flaxr XIII . Where are you seeing so many people saying it's a sure thing or getting bent out of share if it doesn't follow that line?

The stats for 'brave' don't even fit with the leaks, the height doesn't work with the claims of the alt skins coming with it (like luminary, and I really doubt they'd use the 3ds version). And it's hard to tell who's piggybacking or not.

Altho, I haven't been too much around before this last week, so maybe I missed some stuff, but speculation is pretty open, imo.
Yeah, I agree that Erdrick isn't nearly as much of a certainty as some people make him out to be. There's a lot lining up for him but I wouldn't bet on him.

D

Deleted member

I get what you're saying. Even from the perspective of someone who really wants him, I do agree that discussion has more or less totally stagnated got the moment. But, with such an information drought we only really have leaks to go off of at the moment, so I guess we just gotta be patient.
And, who knows? Even if Geno sadly doesn't make it this time (though if I were you guys I wouldnt give up until its over), maybe another character you like a lot could get in.
I guess but If Geno doesn't get in this time then what chance does he have next game? They're never gonna top "Everyone is here" and Cloud likely only got in out of Necessity cause of the Slogan. So if that's truly the case I expect Square to leave next game and Geno as we all know is owned by Square. This seems like a now or never Situation for Geno. at least Banjo can still make it, maybe. He has Steve in the way but at least he's still open game.

Edit: I would take either at this point to be honest.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I guess but If Geno doesn't get in this time then what chance does he have next game? They're never gonna top "Everyone is here" and Cloud likely only got in out of Necessity cause of the Slogan. So if that's truly the case I expect Square to leave next game and Geno as we all know is owned by Square. This seems like a now or never Situation for Geno. at least Banjo can still make it, maybe. He has Steve in the way but at least he's still open game.

Each ounce of partnership with Square Enix makes him more likely, especially if they talk about smash and characters that could be in more often.
Don't give up. Or own up to how you feel and find some way to let it out. I dunno, but I know there's other geno fans who haven't given up. Anyway the game has lots to offer regardless. Your livelihood doesn't depend on one character getting into smash. I know sometimes our feelings can latch onto things, but really, there's lots to enjoy, and to look forward to cool stuff in general :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Each ounce of partnership with Square Enix makes him more likely, especially if they talk about smash and characters that could be in more often.
Don't give up. Or own up to how you feel and find some way to let it out. I dunno, but I know there's other geno fans who haven't given up. Anyway the game has lots to offer regardless. Your livelihood doesn't depend on one character getting into smash. I know sometimes our feelings can latch onto things, but really, there's lots to enjoy, and to look forward to cool stuff in general :)
Yeah That's true enough. There is already a lot to love about the game and I respect Sakurai for doing so much for us Geno or No Geno. And I don't know if I come off like I hate DQ with how much Doom and Gloom I talk about it but even then I don't hate the series at all I personally couldn't care less about it as It's not a bad Series at all! It's just not my type of game. Even if Erdrick gets in that doesn't rule out Banjo as he still has a chance at least.

D

Deleted member

Don't take me wrong, but at some points I feel people are just taking this whole "who gets in the game" way too seriously. Especially since this is just supposed to be a game. Also DLC hasn't stopped so you might see Geno in it.

I don't think that SE, unless bought by MS or Sony, is going to suddenly stop cooperating with Nintendo considering the Bravely series, the Dragon Quest series, the Octopath team series, the Final Fantasy series(at least some ports). Maybe next Smash wont have a SE rep for base roster but who knows, policies change and SE may be easier next time to deal with. And if your whole Operation Starfall works out, you might see Geno in other games an not just Smash which frankly I dont think should be an end goal.

D

Deleted member

Don't take me wrong, but at some points I feel people are just taking this whole "who gets in the game" way too seriously. Especially since this is just supposed to be a game. Also DLC hasn't stopped so you might see Geno in it.

I don't think that SE unless bought by MS or Sony is going to suddenly stop cooperating with Nintendo considering the Bravely series, the Dragon Quest series, the Octopath team series, the Final Fantasy series(at least some ports). Maybe next Smash wont have a SE rep for base roster but who knows, policies change and SE may be easier next time to deal with. And if your whole Operation Starfall works out, you might see Geno in other games an not just Smash which frankly I dont think should be an end goal.
Well Let's hope you're right not just for Geno's sake but for others too. Sora fans would die to get their character in Smash and in all honesty they deserve it and the Series itself deserves some representation. that even goes for DQ itself which is looking more likely by the day. SE has so many franchises that deserve representation it isn't even funny. Bravely Default, DQ, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger, TWEWY, etc.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Well Let's hope you're right not just for Geno's sake but for others too. Sora fans would die to get their character in Smash and in all honesty they deserve it and the Series itself deserves some representation. that even goes for DQ itself which is looking more likely by the day. SE has so many franchises that deserve representation it isn't even funny. Bravely Default, DQ, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger, TWEWY, etc.
Yeah, like others have said, I don't like the prospect that it might only come down to one of the seven (or someone else like 2B). All these characters are great and I'd love to see more than one Square Enix character included. I find the situation Geno is in genuinely sad since lots of Mario fans who played SMRPG have fond memories of Geno and Mallow, and probably wondered why they never saw them again until they learned Square Enix owned the rights. Even though they own Geno and Mallow, I count them as Mario characters and wouldn't feel like they'd "steal" any slots from other potential Square Enix characters if they were finally included.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
For some reason I am not really in the mood for characters like Erdrick and Lloyd right now, even tho they'd be cool. I want either an unexpected huge all-star like Sora or Tails, or a fan favorite character with an interesting moveset like Banjo, or just a popular yet unexpected character with an interesting moveset like Slime or Prince of All Cosmos.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Frankly, I think all the ones talked about most in this thread have a shot.

Erdrick has good stuff going like we know, but definitely not everything.
Sora has ties to 'brave' too, and the height could work, especially if he's in his hunched battle position.
Geno has both the height as well as other stats fitting rather well. (And yes, wood would be heavy. Another possibly important thing is that Geno was a mii gunner outfit, and mii gunner is heavy even though it's a projectile user. Good to note right?)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
My Thoughts on the Square 7

Geno: Absolutely not a fan. He's one of those characters I really don't think should be in Smash. He's from one game from almost 25 years ago who had a cameo in another game that was removed from a remake. I find him to be a bad representative from his series and from his parent company. I feel that any other character in Geno's shoes would have supporters laughed at and I can't fathom why Geno is an exception. I don't mean to be harsh, but I've always found the Geno support to be absolutely baffling.

Sora: I'm not opposed to Sora as a character, I'm more opposed to Disney involvement. Wanting something from Disney is akin to working with the Devil and I'd really not want to see the ramifications of Nintendo wanting something from Disney.

Crono: ****ing love Crono Trigger and would absolutely love him to be in Smash, but he only has a chance if DQ Music rights become an issue. utside of the music, He's owned by the same 3 major parties that own DQ.

Sephiroth: Not my choice for a second FF rep. I'd take Noctis over Sephiroth. My preferred 2nd FF Rep would be Terra.

Slime: Very big meh from me. I want DQ content in Smash, but Slime just feels too damn basic and I feel it takes a bit away from the plant's gimmick. As iconic as this adorable enemy is, it's not something I want playable in Smash.

Erdrick/Luminary: Combining these for obvious reasons. My absolute preferred 2nd SE rep. I've enjoyed every DQ game I've played and it's one of the very few series, let alone 3rd party series, that I absolutely feels 'deserves' to be in smash. I absolutely hate using that term and use it very sparingly so I think it says something about the notoriety of the DQ series in terms of Japanese gaming history. I'd be fine with either one, but Erdrick's my overall pick because seeing female Erdrick again is gonna be like seeing the female Persona 3 protagonist again.

Bonus Round

Arthur Million: The "forgotten" member of the Square 7 8. I'd just want her for the memes. Like seriously. It would be great. SE has all these great characters, but we get the mobile game Waifu instead.

D

Deleted member

Long post so will put the specific characters in Spoiler tabs so here's my thoughts on each individual Character from the Square list:

I may seem like I hate Erdrick and Dragon Quest and while DQ is not my kind of game, I really don't. It just causes me a lot of Stress to see him
be the only one of the Seven to have a legitimate chance. I would be happy for his fans, I truly would cause they deserve it. That's the way I feel about
a lot of characters like Isaac, Doom-guy, Sora, etc. Erdrick fans are actually super chill and I do respect them so If Erdrick got in I would be happy for
his fans and DQ fans in general. Look at @liquidmetalslime they are incredibly chill and they seem like a genuinely nice person So I would be happy for them and other fans. but I Personally really don't want Erdrick at all.

It's nothing personal against DQ as a series or Erdrick as a character but more because I have someone else who I want a WHOLE lot more (Geno).
But it looks like he's the most likely either way, Like it or not. They have Verge who is the most credible Leaker to ever grace the Smash bros series
at this point and Tansut who Leaked freaking CLOUD. Not to mention Sakurai Adores the Series comparing it to his own baby Kirby. There's just TOO much going for Erdrick for it to not be him one way or another. Sakurai Adores it, Square wants it to be popular in the west, Verge and Tansut are on his side,
The Series is Beloved in Japan to the point that they have a freaking Holiday for it, IIRC Sakurai and The Creator of DQ are friends. Like I said there is just TOO much going for him.

That being said, I really don't like the games at all (or at least the early ones as I haven't given the DS one a try yet). The Music is pretty generic,
the Gameplay is also the Typical normal format for RPG's and it doesn't stray much from that which at least give me an interesting gameplay mechanic if the music isn't any good, The Story or at least the early one I played was so boring and typical Girl gets kidnapped by Dragon go slay Dragon ok thanks bye, The Main Character didn't have a personality at all which you could say Link doesn't have a personality either but at least the legend of Zelda has a very Unique Style that it can call it's own and that the other characters besides Link have some personality. the one I played was one of the earlier ones so I could be very wrong and the franchise evolved from that but that's truly what I thought of that game. It was pretty boring and bland.

Kinda harsh I know but that's what I thought and not saying that the entire franchise is like that or that the franchise is bad cause that's only my opinion
Objectively speaking if the franchise has it's fans they obviously did SOMETHING right which they did. They do have fans. Objectively speaking the franchise is at least above average and I could be dead wrong. I did hear that the first like three are terribly dated so that's probably why so again I may have been harsh but I mean no offense towards any of the DQ fans.

Overall a DQ rep would not be hype for me but I would be happy for the DQ fans out there like LiquidMetal and others. Also Can I
say another thing real quick People say they should Advertise the character and trick people into thinking it's Goku or something but wouldn't that just piss
people off and make them not want to buy Erdrick in protest? and the "Oh Unique Character, it doesn't matter who they should buy it" excuse doesn't seem right to me. Would you argue that for an Eastern Audience? like let's say Bubsy got in or some very niche Western character got in and had a super unique moveset, Would you Argue the same for the Japanese fanbase? if not then I think that makes the argument kinda weak.

You could argue that we already have Western targeted characters in Ridley and K. Rool but there's a difference, Ridley was 1) one of the last big first party characters yet to be in Smash 2) Again First party when Dragon Quest is Third Party and Third parties are typically a ton harder to get than first party characters as you don't own them 3) Ridley was a highly requested character and Erdrick is not from my knowledge highly requested. And there's a distinction from loving a franchise and wanting a character from it to be in Smash. Japan loves that one franchise Katalina is from and yet people on 5ch call her names and don't like the thought of her being in Smash. and 4) Ridley was Base game and I'm pretty sure for maximum profits you'd want a character that is universally loved which is why I think if we're getting a western character it will be Banjo or Steve as both are loved in Japan. Lastly K. Rool? People love him over there.

See Erdrick, but I would prefer Slime to be honest. At least Slime is semi-recognizable in the West as in if you ask someone who or what a Slime is
they would likely say "Oh, that one Franchise. Dragon Quest? Dragon Warrior? something like that."

See Erdrick, Except I really don't want Luminary at all. Unlike Erdrick who is at least Iconic to the franchise and basically DQ's Marth Luminary
would solely be a Shill pick. it would be like adding Corrin to Smash before Marth it just doesn't make sense.

I love my Boy Geno, I adore him and Super Mario RPG. I've known Geno for YEARS before I even knew where he was from. I first found out about him when just scrolling through Youtube and found that Forest maze song from Kirbopher at least like 9 years ago probably a decade ago at this point. from then on I just knew about Geno but it isn't until like 4 years ago I really knew where Geno was from and who he was after then I always liked Geno.

Last year was the first time I played the game though and I really love it. The Music, The Characters, The Story, The Locations, The Gameplay Everything
is top-notch. I always keep Geno in my party when I play the game, He's just such a cool character I love him. And the fans of Geno? For the Most part
they're awesome too @Zack E. Ovaltine Ovaltine and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice for examples, they're really Cool and Chill people who have a lot of Passion for Geno which really makes me respect them. They have done a lot for the Geno and SMRPG fanbase.

Zack E. is just overall a really cool and chill dude who I have a bunch of Respect for and is one of the Nicest people I have met on this site, Shoutouts to my dude Zack E. Ovaltine, a person who has a ton of Passion for Geno and Super Mario RPG as a whole going as far as to be the Leader of Operation Starfall. She Seems like a really cool and kind person who has a ton of passion for what she likes and her art skill is on-freaking-point Brilliant! She seems really, really cool and sweet and her posts always bring a Smile to my face. And Lastly Fatmanonice is Such a Smart dude who gives me a lot of hope for Geno
being in Smash some way or another and I look forward to whenever he Posts just based off of the Quality of said Post. he also seems really chill. The Geno and to a larger extent SMRPG fanbase has a bunch of Cool people who I have respect for. so not just for My sake but also theirs I hope Geno gets in they deserve him at this point. Maybe not me but definitely the three people I spoke of deserve him 1000%.

Sadly though Geno is one of the least likely looking characters right now which is such a Fall from where he was in like August when EVERYBODY thought he was a shoe-in after Ridley and King K. Rool. Such a fall from grace, real shame. Curse you Grinch for being fake!

I don't have much of a connection to Sora even though I want to as I've tried to get into Kingdom hearts not one, not twice but three times. The first
I lost the game, The Second The game got scratched and the third time the Console itself broke. I really want to get into Kingdom hearts but I can't which at least makes me want Sora the Second most out of the three as I at least tried Kingdom hearts itself unlike a few characters origin games like Luminary and Chrono.

I liked what I played of Kingdom hearts so I do want Sora the second most out of the Seven. And the Sora fans are also pretty cool look at DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
They're very smart and make good points that contribute to the discussion immensely so props. Would be happy for Sora fans. Also Not looking too likely for them though. More Likely than Geno but less likely than Erdrick as Nobody is as likely as Erdrick for now.

I don't have much to Say about These last two admittedly since they've easily been the least talked about characters out of the Seven so there's
not much to say. Septhiroth would be fine Since well, It's him. It's Septhiroth he's easily Square's most iconic Villain. Seeing him in Smash would be a
dream come true to some I'm sure but there's not much to say about him. He's cool, His theme is a banger and I don't think anybody would be mad if he got in.

but I'm pretty sure he's not in the game. Septhiroth just seems...Unlikely. I don't know how to explain it it's just kind of a gut feeling y'know? it just doesn't click with me. I can't see him being in the game.

I have not personally played Chrono Trigger yet as I already have a massive backlog filled with at least tweleve games but I do know one thing for
sure and that's the fact that Chrono Trigger is highly praised as one of the best SNES games of all time if not one of the best RPG's as a whole.

That alone makes me fine with Chrono if he was in the game as the Series has a huge cult following and I would in fact be happy for Chrono's fans.
I will eventually get to playing Chrono Trigger maybe afterwards I will have more to say about it but until then I'm just kind of Okay with Chrono.

Not looking too likely for him which in all honesty is kinda sad as his series really needs the push and A lot of people worldwide like the character and
know him. Sorry Chrono boys but it's not looking too good for you.

StormC

Smash Hero
Geno: Absolutely not a fan. He's one of those characters I really don't think should be in Smash. He's from one game from almost 25 years ago

Crono: ****ing love Crono Trigger and would absolutely love him to be in Smash
Quite the disparity here...

(I don't have a horse in this race but I found the juxtaposition funny)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree. Not going to lie when I say King K. Rool getting in is what pushed me to buy a Switch. However, at this point, I've been burned enough by my own imagination to realize taking who gets in seriously is more a detriment than anything. Discussion objectively doesn't boost anyone's chances because they're already decided now.

Second wave DLC would be hype as **** though because that means five more new characters, which I am down for.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Just say hypocritical.
Uhhh.. Why?
Can't the dude love a character in the game and think another one doesn't deserve it? How is that hypocritical?
It's his opinion. Nothing more.

Also, kinda off-topic, but the KHIII spoilers are now out there. Watch out, if you don't want to see them
I, for one, couldn't wait any longer after what the leaker said about the ending.
I watched the entire thing except the epilogue and secret film (that S-E wisely prefered to patch it once the game launches.), and I gotta say. This game will make you tear up in some moments, even if some small moments are still badly written. The game tries its best to tie all of the knots, and that is quite worthy of recognition. The ending will impact people quite a lot.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Well since everyone is in the mood might as well do it, forgive for the length and just be careful for spoilers if you wanted to play any. Just going to put together Luminary and Erdrick.

Geno: SMRPG is a series that was my actual introduction to RPGs when I was a kid (after a failed attempt at one of the NES DQ as I didnt understood the game), and is a game that I enjoyed thoroughly and still holds up. That said Geno is probably my least wanted here just because, I like everyone else more and the I find that the other series can bring a lot of more of neat stuff. And after replaying SMRPG recently, I found Bowser and Mallow more endearing than him.

Sora: KH is a series that I enjoy due to the crazy concept and mishmash of Nomura's designs and Disney. While its a series that makes little sense storywise, gameplay is fun and the series is quite a ride that I'm looking forward to playing 3 soon. Sora's abilities and playful personality would make him a great option, plus KH music and worlds are simply great. Overall Sora is a fun character to imagine in a game like Smash so he is my 3rd option.

Crono: If SMRPG was a game that properly introduced me to JRPGs, CT is the game that made me feel in love with them. Great music, great characters, enganging storyline, cool twists, great design, great graphics at the time of the SNES that still look great today... One cant praise this game enough. Crono is my 4th choice as while CT is a great game, I'm just feeling the others more.

Sephiroth: FFVII was my first FF and the impression that Sephiroth makes when you first encounter him is wow, he just casually murdered everyone that was in the Shinra building and you get lucky that you were imprisoned. His theme is pretty much one of the best in VII, and just the presence and actions he does in FFVII, not only regarding killing Aeris, but basically messing with Cloud's mind during a grand part of the game makes it a great hero-villain relationship. He is my 2nd choice, after all we got Cloud in the game and his katana would make a great moveset.

Erdrick/Luminary: DQ is a series that while the MC don't particularly shine due to being a blank state for the players, but these blank states help us to immerse ourselves fully into the world of DQ and experience unforgettable adventures. The world is filled with cool monsters, happy stories, sad stories, epic battles, great locales, memorable tunes (especially older games). The hero is also great due the amount of abilities, both magical and physical, and he would fit great with other heroes already in the game like Link and Cloud. He is my 1st choice.

Slime: Just like Erdrick, he is part of what makes DQ great. We have a few mooks in the game and he would fit with them, but at this point if you want to represent a series like DQ I would prefer a hero vastly. He would be my 5th choice.

Overall, I would be happy if any of these picks get in.
What is this, a generally positive outlook on all possible choices? Impossible

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Based on the stats we got for Brave, and my experience with the characters, here's what I think fits them:

Geno
Height - ✓. Mario and Geno are the same height, and since Ness/Lucas have close heights to Mario, I can see it working.
Weight - ?. I'm not sure what kind of weight Geno would have, being made of wood.
Zoner - ✓. His attacks are mostly focused on projectiles. I can see it fitting him.
No Rapid Jab - ✓. His basic attack is taking his arm off and hitting enemies with it. I don't see this working as a rapid jab.
Brave - ?. While he is kinda brave, I wouldn't say that his bravery is his most iconic feature.
Floaty - ?. He is the fastest party member, but I'm not sure if floaty.
Slide - No. We only see him moving during cutscenes. I don't think I remember seeing him do anything close to sliding.

Sora
Height - ✓. Comparing Ness/Lucas height with Cloud's. That's just how I would imagine Sora's height in Smash.
Weight - ?. Sora appears to be light, and I'm not sure if Keyblades are that heavy, so I have no idea.
Zoner - ?. He does have some magic, but he mainly fights with the Keyblade. Unless you're using his Wisdom Form.
No Rapid Jab - ✓. His basic attack is 3 slashes with the Keyblade. I see it working, since he doesn't swing it too fast.
Brave - ?. He has a form called Valor Form, which is known as Brave Form in Japan. This is probably stretching.
Floaty - ✓. Gliding and floating is a very common thing for Sora to do. I see it working like Cloud's floating in Smash.
Slide - ✓. May be related to him floating. Alongside Slime, he's the only one I think that makes sense to have a slide.

Crono
Haven't played Chrono Trigger yet.

Sephiroth
Height - No. I'm sure that Sephiroth is either the same height or taller than Cloud.
Weight - ✓. I can see Sephiroth being kinda heavy, especially with a huge sword like that.
Zoner - ?. He does have an absurdly big sword, but I'm not sure if that'd count as a Zoning feature.
No Rapid Jab - ✓. I don't see how it's even possible to swing that thing so fast.
Brave - No. I wouldn't call him Brave. While he does have courage, he's a villain. The opposite of who you'd call Brave.
Floaty - ?. If he moves similarly to Cloud. I can see it working.
Slide - ?. Same as above.

Erdrick
Height - ✓. It could be either his kid version or his adult version, depending on whether or not he's hunched over.
Weight - ?. His clothing appears to be light. Other than the weapons he carries, I don't see him weighing this much.
Zoner - ?. He has magic and different tools, but I'm not sure how this would work.
No Rapid Jab - No?. His sword seems to be as light as the Master Sword. Assuming Link has a rapid jab, I think he would too.
Brave - ✓. The most direct connection to the word Brave out of the 7.
Floaty - ?. I don't think he'd be that floaty. If anything, I imagine him weighing just a little bit more than Link.
Slide - ?. Not sure, since we can't really tell how he's moving on the overworld.

Slime
Height - ?. If Brave is just a bit shorter than Ness/Lucas. I can see it working. If he's the same height or taller, not really.
Weight - No. I'm sure that Slimes are very light.
Zoner - ✓. His games are all about carrying multiple projectiles and magic. I can see it working.
No Rapid Jab - ✓. I don't see how he can attack that fast, having no limbs and all.
Brave - ?. He's the mascot of the games with the character that fits this the most, it may be an indirect connection. Like how Jack Frost is used for Joker.
Floaty - ✓. He's very light, and he can float in his games by performing a double jump.
Slide - ✓. When he's moving very fast, he takes a while to recover control of his movement. Makes sense.

Luminary
Haven't played DQXI yet.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Ooh boy, as someone deeply rooted in the Capcom and Sega camps I don't really cross paths with SE super often. I'll try my best.

Geno: I obviously really like Geno. Super Mario RPG is the game that I'm most familiar with on here. There's a lot of intrigue that I have with this dude. I'm deeply curious as to what a modernized HD Geno would look like, plus the overall concept of him is incredibly fun and he'd add a lot to the game. I love the Mario RPGs and I'm a bit peeved that they get shafted in Smash. I feel like Geno would fill that hole perfectly. I just think he's neat.

Crono: LMAO I WISH :224:

Sephiroth: Long Sword Johnson, arch nemesis of 2-Song Johnny. I don't care for this guy too much. FFVII is good and all but I'd personally like an earlier FF game to get some love instead of exclusively homing in on FFVII. KEFKA TEAM RULES

He would've been a cool boss.

Sora: I don’t know about this guy. I have no idea what to make of Kingdom Hearts and it scares me. All I know is that I watched Limes stream it and the Little Mermaid world made me wanna die a little bit. Also Disney skeeves me out, I don't trust them. On the other hand, I have some friends whom are incredibly fond of Kingdom Hearts, and would all but literally nutt at a Sora announcement. I'd be happy for them at least.

Erdrick/Luminary/Slime: I know literally nothing about these characters so I'll just group them together. To be frank, I dislike Dragon Quest and I don't give a hoot about legacy (it actually owes a lot to Ultima and Wizardry but whatever). I find the traditional, formulaic approach that DQ takes boring, and prefer RPGs with some spice on em like Chrono Trigger. I promise that I don't mean that as a slight against anyone here, I just don't see what you guys do. These three are a no sell for me.

-CHALLENGERS APPROACHING-

Neku: good smell

Bub: :bubblebobble: GREAT smell

everyone else: stank

Top Bottom