• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Hey everyone, I’m usually in the Geno thread since, if you can’t tell, I like Geno. However, I decided I should start becoming more familiar with some of Square’s other characters. I recently picked up Dragon Quest XI and have honestly really enjoyed it. As much as I like fighting games, RPGs are some of my favorite games so Dragon Quest has really vibed with me so far.

So y’know, I’m not too opposed to some of these characters getting in anymore if that’s the case. :)

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
It's one thing to host a giveaway and to live stream something on TV. And its another thing to negotiate for a character they (possibility) own. Disney is very particular with how they like their characters portrayed.
And who knows the best way to portray Sora? Nomura. Disney only care that Nomura’s happy with sora’s representation.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
And who knows the best way to portray Sora? Nomura. Disney only care that Nomura’s happy with sora’s representation.
Yes but. Sakurai also likes to keep the characters as true to their appearance as possible. Not being able to use Disney themed summon moves might be considered a roadblock. I know Disney would want to see some of their original characters appear in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone, I’m usually in the Geno thread since, if you can’t tell, I like Geno. However, I decided I should start becoming more familiar with some of Square’s other characters. I recently picked up Dragon Quest XI and have honestly really enjoyed it. As much as I like fighting games, RPGs are some of my favorite games so Dragon Quest has really vibed with me so far.

So y’know, I’m not too opposed to some of these characters getting in anymore if that’s the case. :)
It's always a good idea to broaden your horizons in a time like this. Even outside of SE, it's really nice to get familiar with new games that may be making their way to Smash, and even they don't you still got that experience with it.
Cool to hear you're liking it too. How far in are you?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Disney isn't the problem lol.

I genuinely believe Square is more a roadblock for Sora than Disney is. Disney and Nintendo partner all the time and they just did last year in some competition to win a switch or something. I thought they also aired the Nintendo World Championships and Evo on Disney XD so Disney isn't the problem.
Square has already partnered in terms of characters, as in Cloud as well as Slime in some other nintendo games.
Disney is an extra layer of challenge to go through.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Because of personal bias. I don't think any amount of time would stop me from being massively disappointed if Erdrick is revealed.

I would personally feel the exactly same way like I did with Corrin. Paying to be advertised to. But I do understand it would be a japan focused character and there are plenty of Dragon Quest fans in the west so it would be for them first and foremost. I just won't really like it. I just get so tired of saying "Maybe next game"
What you seem to forget is that Smash Bros. has also put in characters that nearly exclusively cater to Western audiences. Most of Punch-Out's popularity is Western, and Sakurai specifically said Ridley and Dark Samus got in due to requests among "overseas" fans. Dragon Quest is a far bigger franchise than both Punch-Out and Metroid.

If we could get our Punch-Out and Metroid reps, why can't the Japanese fanbase get their Dragon Quest representative? It is not like Dragon Quest has non-existent popularity in the West either. Dragon Quest VIII was a hit, and Dragon Quest XI has been selling very well.

I do not like this sense of entitlement by the "core" that thinks if the character is outside whatever is popular within their own bubble, it is automatically a "shill" or "bad" choice. We saw this even with Isabelle, probably the most prominent Nintendo character created during the 2010's after Inklings.

Dragon Quest has far more credentials to enter Smash Bros. than any other Square-Enix choice, and I am far, far, far from a Dragon Quest fanboy or fan from that matter. I never played a Dragon Quest game in my life, while Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG are among my favorite RPGs ever (with Chrono Trigger outright probably being my favorite). However, Dragon Quest has left an impact not only on gaming but culture as a whole. How many gaming franchises can make that claim?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What you seem to forget is that Smash Bros. has also put in characters that nearly exclusively cater to Western audiences. Most of Punch-Out's popularity is Western, and Sakurai specifically said Ridley and Dark Samus got in due to requests among "overseas" fans. Dragon Quest is a far bigger franchise than both Punch-Out and Metroid.

If we could get our Punch-Out and Metroid reps, why can't the Japanese fanbase get their Dragon Quest representative? It is not like Dragon Quest has non-existent popularity in the West either. Dragon Quest VIII was a hit, and Dragon Quest XI has been selling very well.

I do not like this sense of entitlement by the "core" that thinks if the character is outside whatever their current "high" is (many of the characters they are bitter about frankly they did not get whipped up into a mania about until the last few months or weeks), it is automatically a "shill" or "bad" choice. We saw this even with Isabelle, probably the most prominent Nintendo character created during the 2010's after Inklings.

Dragon Quest has far more credentials to enter Smash Bros. than any other Square-Enix choice, and I far, far, far from a Dragon Quest fanboy or fan from that matter. I never played a Dragon Quest game in my life, while Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG are among my favorite RPGs ever (with Chrono Trigger outright probably being my favorite). However, Dragon Quest has left an impact not only gaming but culture as a whole. How many gaming franchises can make that claim?
What I don't like is people comparing it with Corrin, since that was a case where the new game wasn't even out in the west. There's also already a ton of FE characters. Erdrick is at least retro ;p and could rep DQ as a whole. Would kind of like alt hero skins, but that's just hoping :)

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
It's always a good idea to broaden your horizons in a time like this. Even outside of SE, it's really nice to get familiar with new games that may be making their way to Smash, and even they don't you still got that experience with it.
Cool to hear you're liking it too. How far in are you?
I believe I just finished talking with Derk about the orb, and I am now traversing MangleGrove to get to Kingsbarrow. I was not expecting MangleGrove to look like a jungle honestly, but it looks really nice.

That’s another thing, this game is really pretty, sometimes I’ll stop and just take in the scenery. Really liking it so far.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Like I said. I understand how it would be a japan focused choice. (even though most of the game mostly reflects Japanese choices but thats besides the point). The problem lies how its DLC. And the west is expected to pay for a character that was 90% a Japanese market choice and to "spread Dragon Quest's influence to the west" which by definition is just an advertisement. So it's perfectly understandable how some of us would feel.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Like I said. I understand how it would be a japan focused choice. (even though most of the game mostly reflects Japanese choices but thats besides the point). The problem lies how its DLC. And the west is expected to pay for a character that was 90% a Japanese market choice and to "spread Dragon Quest's influence to the west" which by definition is just an advertisement.
It's DLC, so.. don't buy it if you dont want it.
I didn't get the season pass because I know there's characters I probably wont get.

Nintendo is a business. And to be fair, they catered much more to fan demand this time than before. But anyway, it's a great choice for the japanese market who love DQ, and it's a bonus to bring it more to the west.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly I just want the next character to not be a SE character so we all stop with Brave speculation. I would say all that we know is someone is coming. I wouldn't expect Brave until say April or May. I am expecting something at E3, so that could also be it.

I think a big question we have to ask is when will Joker arrive? This plays a lot more into when we get any announcement that you would think. Most likely they would talk about his release and his stage in the next direct, show off some gameplay and whatnot. Say 4 minutes on that and then maybe end on a teaser for someone new.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Like I said. I understand how it would be a japan focused choice. (even though most of the game mostly reflects Japanese choices but thats besides the point). The problem lies how its DLC. And the west is expected to pay for a character that was 90% a Japanese market choice and to "spread Dragon Quest's influence to the west" which by definition is just an advertisement. So it's perfectly understand how some of us would feel.
Most of the roster are characters popular WORLDWIDE.

Also, who said Dragon Quest's inclusion would be to "spead popularity in the West"? Dragon Quest has impressive enough credentials to enter Smash on its own merits, which makes it far from a Corrin situation. Dragon Quest III in particular is probably the most popular Famicom game outside of the two Mario titles (1 and 3), and the Famicom in general is still among the most beloved game consoles of all time.

Also, if you are a fan of Banjo-Kazooie, Steve, or Doom Guy (particularly BK or DG), I hope you realize that most of their popularity is Western, and they could very well be seen as "shill" picks by the Japanese fanbase to cater to Western audiences. The fact is that for some characters important to Nintendo or gaming, they simply have lopsided popularity in certain regions. Ridley was among the Top 3 most wanted characters for Smash Bros. for the last 10+ years, yet there was not much demand for him among Japanese fans. The same goes for Little Mac. Punch-Out is considered to be among the most popular and iconic NES games of all time, and the Wii game was a major hit, yet among the Japanese audience, those games are considered to be very niche.

You are very much ignoring the legacy and impact that Dragon Quest has had on the industry. Your narrative that a DQ representative is simply "another Corrin" is profoundly misinformed statement. Dragon Quest has had DECADES of multi-million selling installments, is something the gaming public as a whole knows in Japan, not just the "core".

The narrative that "Dragon Quest is a shill pick" is peak "core bubble" nonsense.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What I don't like is people comparing it with Corrin, since that was a case where the new game wasn't even out in the west. There's also already a ton of FE characters. Erdrick is at least retro ;p and could rep DQ as a whole. Would kind of like alt hero skins, but that's just hoping :)
Ugh this.
It's beyond cynical because it's not like DQ came out off nowhere. Erdrick was on the Dang NES.
Nothing like Corrin. But you know, Erdrick could be "advertising".

Maybe he's advertising the NES Classic?
Wait, that didn't get a DQ game.

Maybe he's advertising DQXIs?
Nope. Different heroes.

The manga??
Not Erdrick.

Builders 2?
Different everything.

And you mean to tell me that's advertising?
What about:
Mario > Oddissey (stage/cappy)
Link > BotW
Pokémon (always ever?)
Inkling > Splatoon

Even Joker, who the intelectuals seem to approve. P5 coming to Switch and all. Isn't that advertising? Yes it is. I know because now I want to buy P5.

So yeah. People take in lots of actual advertising and don't mind, but DQ? Oh no, that's too far!

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

Also, who said Dragon Quest's inclusion would be to "spead popularity in the West"? Dragon Quest has impressive enough credentials to enter Smash on its own merits, which makes it far from a Corrin situation. Dragon Quest III in particular is probably the most popular Famicom game outside of the two Mario titles (1 and 3), and the Famicom in general is still among the most beloved game consoles of all time.

Also, if you are a fan of Banjo-Kazooie, Steve, or Doom Guy (particularly BK or DG), I hope you realize that most of their popularity is Western, and they could very well be seen as "shill" picks by the Japanese fanbase to cater to Western audiences. The fact is that for some characters important to Nintendo or gaming, they simply have lopsided popularity in certain regions. Ridley was among the Top 3 most wanted characters for Smash Bros. for the last 10+ years, yet there was not much demand for him among Japanese fans. The same goes for Little Mac. Punch-Out is considered to be among the most popular and iconic NES games of all time, and the Wii game was a major hit, yet among the Japanese audience, those games are considered to be very niche.

You are very much ignoring the legacy and impact that Dragon Quest has had on the industry. Your narrative that a DQ representative is simply "another Corrin" is profoundly misinformed statement. Dragon Quest has had DECADES of multi-million selling installments, is something the gaming public as a whole knows in Japan, not just the "core".

The narrative that "Dragon Quest is a shill pick" is peak "core bubble" nonsense.
I never once claimed that Dragon Quest was a shill pick. So I don't understand where you are pulling that from. And when it comes to the Corrin comparison all I said was is how people would feel about for not exactly knowing the character. I feel like there is a lot of twisting in what I am saying. I even said in another post how I understand its legacy. The part about "spreading influence" I quoted directly from the 5ch post that people believe.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Yup DQ is pretty big in general.

DQ3 was enormously popular, but it was still a lot of japan. DQ1 (Dragon Warrior) was pretty big too and was actually just as popular in the west. And lots of people remember it. I think a good idea might be to have a DQ1 Skin (at least the armor) for one of the alts.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I never once claimed that Dragon Quest was a shill pick. So I don't understand where you are pulling that from. And when it comes to the Corrin comparison all I said was is how people would feel about for not exactly knowing the character. I feel like there is a lot of twisting in what I am saying. I even said in another post how I understand its legacy.
"Shill" is not the word you are using in particular but you outright used the definition of "shill" to desribe a Dragon Quest character getting in with this in particular:

Like I said. I understand how it would be a japan focused choice. (even though most of the game mostly reflects Japanese choices but thats besides the point). The problem lies how its DLC. And the west is expected to pay for a character that was 90% a Japanese market choice and to "spread Dragon Quest's influence to the west" which by definition is just an advertisement. So it's perfectly understandable how some of us would feel.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
"Shill" is not the word you are using in particular but you outright used the definition of "shill" to desribe a Dragon Quest character getting in with this in particular:
I was directly quoting the 5ch post. People seem to believe it. So I figured it would be best to pull directly from it. I really don't know how else to put "spread Dragon Quest's influence to the west" any other way IF it turns out being true. It really does sound like Japanese market pick, but meant to advertise everywhere else. I'm sorry but. Thats how I am interpreting all this.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ugh this.
It's beyond cynical because it's not like DQ came out off nowhere. Erdrick was on the Dang NES.
Nothing like Corrin. But you know, Erdrick could be "advertising".

Maybe he's advertising the NES Classic?
Wait, that didn't get a DQ game.

Maybe he's advertising DQXIs?
Nope. Different heroes.

The manga??
Not Erdrick.

Builders 2?
Different everything.

And you mean to tell me that's advertising?
What about:
Mario > Oddissey (stage/cappy)
Link > BotW
Pokémon (always ever?)
Inkling > Splatoon

Even Joker, who the intelectuals seem to approve. P5 coming to Switch and all. Isn't that advertising? Yes it is. I know because now I want to buy P5.

So yeah. People take in lots of actual advertising and don't mind, but DQ? Oh no, that's too far!
It was also on the gameboy color :)

Also. We don't know what the plans are for DQ3. For all we know, SE might be remaking it or a port could come out around the time the character is announced (If it's in smash), etc.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was directly quoting the 5ch post. People seem to believe it. So I figured it would be best to pull directly from it. I really don't know how else to put "spread Dragon Quest's influence to the west" any other way IF it turns out being true.
It is going to take MONTHS and possibly a year to know if there was any truth to that post (Doom Guy, Steve, and Ryu Hayabusa would also need to show up).

Erdrick in particular has kind of been an open secret especially with "Brave" being a code name for a DLC fighter, and Vergeben knowing about a Square-Enix character even before pre-release. So it might be possible that post was "piggybacking" off of legit leaked information (this happened a lot with Ultimate with there being a legit leak involving Incineroar, Ken, and Isbaelle, and then "leakers" saying there were other builds that had additional newcomers on it).

However, even if hypothetically one of the reasons Erdrick was added in to help promote the Dragon Quest brand in the West, the fact is that Dragon Quest still very much deserves a slot in Smash Bros. due to its contributions to gaming and its popularity in Japan alone (over 30 years). Promotion for "overseas" is simply a side benefit to Erdrick's possible addition.

The fact is that any character added in to Smash Bros. grants more exposure to his/her games or series. That goes without saying.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Maybe I should just step away from this thread for awhile. I feel like I unintentionally dug my self into a hole. Since any point I could possibly make is refuted with "But Dragon Quest is popular and genre defining "

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yes but. Sakurai also likes to keep the characters as true to their appearance as possible. Not being able to use Disney themed summon moves might be considered a roadblock. I know Disney would want to see some of their original characters appear in Smash.
As a KH fan, it would be nice if Goofy & Donald were in his Final Smash; as well having some of KH’s versions of Disney songs. But then that will open the whole can of worms regarding non-game characters (“Well If Donald/Goofy were in Sora’s moveset then Goku can be playable!”).

But, I wouldn’t say it’s a necessity. Sora has enough moves on his own that have nothing directly tied to Disney. I don’t think he had any Disney related stuff in his few Final Fantasy cameos either (besides the Mickey logo on his Keyblade).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe I should just step away from this thread for awhile. I feel like I unintentionally dug my self into a hole. Since any point I could possibly make is refuted with "But Dragon Quest is popular and genre defining "
Pretty much. There's no point in going against DQ. It's fine and you can say that you don't particularly like the franchise, or that you'd rather it be something with more renowned worldwide appeal, but you come off as being entitled because of how you're approaching it, for whatever reason. DQ can easily have a spot in smash, and it's also understandable for what it is in gaming and also since Nintendo is based in Japan.

And, If you have trouble not arguing against it in the way you do, then it can be ok to take a little break or whatever works well.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Pretty much. There's no point in going against DQ. It's fine and you can say that you don't particularly like the franchise, or that you'd rather it be something with more renowned worldwide appeal, but you come off as being entitled because of how you're approaching it, for whatever reason. DQ can easily have a spot in smash, and it's also understandable for what it is in gaming and also since Nintendo is based in Japan.

And, If you have trouble not arguing against it in the way you do, then it can be ok to take a little break or whatever works well.
I really didn't want to come off as entitled. I really didn't. I apologize.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
That’s like saying Cloud isn’t true to his character because he isn’t able to use Tifa and Barret... also who’s to say that a KH theme stage should play like midgar? Both KH and FFVII are different games and should be treated that way. Heck a stage that has its own gimmick isn’t always necessary either... look at ryu’s stage for example, if you want summons so much then summon dream eaters since it’s possible in KH3

Square has already partnered in terms of characters, as in Cloud as well as Slime in some other nintendo games.
Disney is an extra layer of challenge to go through.
Yes... because a company that’s said they’re open to his inclusion and are willing to make it happen would be so challenging

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I can understand being frustrated that the Square-Enix character might not end up being a character that you personally want in, that is really understandable. You can easily feel, "I understand Dragon Quest 's merits, but Erdrick does nothing for me personally." That is how I feel about Erdrick and Dragon Quest honestly (as I do for Joker). The only Square-Enix character I personally wanted to see was Crono, but he was always a pipe dream. I would be happy if he got some sort of reference in Ultimate, even if it was as a Spirit.

As it stands for DLC, I do not think there are any characters that are going to be added in that I will feel personally hyped about since they are all likely to be third-parties, and with Ultimate, every third-party franchise I really like is now a part of the roster (Castlevania making it in was a miracle in my book since there seemed to be little interest in it among "the core").

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Alright.
There's some characters I'd rather they not be in smash too. There's probably room to argue on either side for some of them, and I may get a little upset if someone like Doomguy makes it in, but I dont know how others feel about it, so I'm not sure how I'd go about it. I'll probably be a little disappointed even if it's because of being a kind of gaming icon too, but I dont know if it's worth the energy to argue/push about it..

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
If Sora gets in, I hope we can have his Forms as Alternate Costumes, and have one of his costumes be his Halloween Town one.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've browsed several 5ch threads regarding the leak and to be honest a lot of Japanese fans as far as I can tell see the idea of DQ in Smash as both a big positive boon for them but also seem excited for it to be big for a Western audience. I just think it's cool - a lot of Japanese fans want DQ to be bigger worldwide. I dunno.

Honestly I'd love if a DQ rep and either Sora or Crono or 2B or Neku please got in.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t see Smash helping Dragon Quest gaining too much popularity in the West; there’ll definitely be some new fans, but it won’t ever become as big as Final Fantasy unless they really change the formula. The series has been out in the West for a while & has remained niche; its not like Fire Emblem which never had a Western release prior to Melee.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I've browsed several 5ch threads regarding the leak and to be honest a lot of Japanese fans as far as I can tell see the idea of DQ in Smash as both a big positive boon for them but also seem excited for it to be big for a Western audience. I just think it's cool - a lot of Japanese fans want DQ to be bigger worldwide. I dunno.

Honestly I'd love if a DQ rep and either Sora or Crono or 2B or Neku please got in.
Meanwhile, the majority of the west is wanting characters only they know about in Smash completely ignoring Japan's reaction to them. What a sad world we live in.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

I mean, I've been smiling seeing people here at least try some of the Dragon Quest games for the first time, V and XI in particular. I think Japan as a whole just really wants to share its love of Dragon Quest with the rest of the world, just like most of us want with our favorite games.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Meanwhile, the majority of the west is wanting characters only they know about in Smash completely ignoring Japan's reaction to them. What a sad world we live in.
Are they? The only major Western demands like that I could think of are Shantae, Rayman & DoomGuy.

Banjo, for example, has ranked pretty highly on Japanese polls.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
People really underestimate the Smash Bump. Pit would be a decent comparison - Kid Icarus was obscure before Brawl, though he was a big wanted character after Melee released as a retro rep (especially among UK gaming magazines). After Pit was in Brawl, interest in Kid Icarus skyrocketed again and we ended up getting Uprising.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So is Geno for that matter. It really is just some indie characters and Doom Guy that wouldn't really go well in Japan.

Geno and Banjo aren't being held up by the West alone.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Are they? The only major Western demands like that I could think of are Shantae, Rayman & DoomGuy.

Yeah, uh, Ima need a source for that.

Also, remember that all polls fall prey to Voluntary Response Bias, and aren't indicative of the wider Smash fanbase.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Oddly if you think about the floaty jumps, fast falling, and low traction without the bias of "Square rep" it immediately seems like it could be Tails or Skull Kid, except for maybe the weight. I asked my friend who's a big KH fan if it sounded like Sora and they immediately said "Tails?" lol

D

Deleted member

Oddly if you think about the floaty jumps, fast falling, and low traction without the bias of "Square rep" it immediately seems like it could be Tails or Skull Kid, except for maybe the weight. I asked my friend who's a big KH fan if it sounded like Sora and they immediately said "Tails?" lol
Tails being nicknamed Brave is a hilarious joke. I love the idea, and Sonic having another character in his roster would be great.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Man talk about Sega getting all the love when they get Sonic in brawl, Bayonetta as DLC last game, Joker as DLC this game and then there is a chance for a 2nd DLC Sega rep like tails.

StormC

Smash Hero
Honestly I just want the next character to not be a SE character so we all stop with Brave speculation. I would say all that we know is someone is coming. I wouldn't expect Brave until say April or May. I am expecting something at E3, so that could also be it.

I think a big question we have to ask is when will Joker arrive? This plays a lot more into when we get any announcement that you would think. Most likely they would talk about his release and his stage in the next direct, show off some gameplay and whatnot. Say 4 minutes on that and then maybe end on a teaser for someone new.
Joker will be around May is my guess. Sakurai didn't even start development on him when Nintendo approached him about a VGA reveal, but if we say actual development started in mid-November, then that would line up with May/June (if you look at the timeline Mewtwo had from reveal to release in Smash 4 DLC). Probably a March Direct showing his gameplay trailer.

Top Bottom