• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Does anybody feel that DQ’s inclusion in Jump Force improves/hurts Erdrick/DQ’s Chances for Smash?

Personally I find it hard to believe that they would go for both games, they’d have to be really trying to market DQ hard in the West.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Does anybody feel that DQ’s inclusion in Jump Force improves/hurts Erdrick/DQ’s Chances for Smash?

Personally I find it hard to believe that they would go for both games, they’d have to be really trying to market DQ hard in the West.
They'd want to push it as much as possible, I'd think. Going for both makes more sense in my eyes as it's then in the public eye more.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just a reminder.

Vergeben wasn't the one to say Square Enix would be the 1sr DLC. That was, if I'm not mistaken, leakypandy.

Once Erdrick started being leaked, Vergeben went "I Guess Square Enix Will be the first DLC" But it sounded more piggybacking than anything if you ask me.

Then the VGA happened but right before that, leakypandy backtracked, saying it all fell apart.

D

Deleted member

I don't think it has any bearing. Adventure of Dai is a finished series, and is one of SJ's most successful series
It's definetely not for the sake of promotion, since Adventure of Dai is already quite popular in Europe and hasn't even been officially released in the States. It also doesn't tie into any game.

Untouch

Smash Master

No, I don't feel that way.
Square Enix doesn't own Dai, so this would be independent of their judgement.
He was going to be in Jump Ultimate Superstars, but was cut from the game.
Dai is a Shonen Manga character, so this isn't a guest appearance.

To me this suggests that Horii is willing to put his characters in crossovers, but I always thought he would never be an issue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think it affects Erdrick or DQ chances in any negative way. But if the problem before in getting Dai in the Jump crossovers was Horii or the SE administration, it seems gone now so at least in that regard the rights aspect seems getting weaker.
I don't think it has any bearing. Adventure of Dai is a finished series, and is one of SJ's most successful series
It's definetely not for the sake of promotion, since Adventure of Dai is already quite popular in Europe and hasn't even been officially released in the States. It also doesn't tie into any game.
It's also quite popular in Latin America. The anime aired in many countries alongside many other anime series in the 90's and there's also the complete manga translated as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Serious question.... What if Dragon Quest in Smash is a scenario of a broken telephone? They heard Dragon Quest going around because of Namco Bandai's involvement, and assumed it was Smash? Sort of like how there was something about Hitagis Grand Blue game but there was some misunderstanding about that???

D

Deleted member

Serious question.... What if Dragon Quest in Smash is a scenario of a broken telephone? They heard Dragon Quest going around because of Namco Bandai's involvement, and assumed it was Smash? Sort of like how there was something about Hitagis Grand Blue game but there was some misunderstanding about that???
With Tansut on board? I doubt it. SE would have no involvement in the licensing of Adventure of Dai, and if I'm not mistaken his connection is to SE.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
With Tansut on board? I doubt it. SE would have no involvement in the licensing of Adventure of Dai, and if I'm not mistaken his connection is to SE.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dai is just Toriyama, considering he's not a game-represented DQ character. I don't think this has any positive or even negative bearing on Erdrick whatsoever.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dai is just Toriyama, considering he's not a game-represented DQ character. I don't think this has any positive or even negative bearing on Erdrick whatsoever.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. They're totally separate games.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure that people can identify which game because one has Mario, Link, and DK; and the other has Goku, Naruto, and Kenshin. Plus Erdrick is a character that has two alts by default (Male and Female) while Dai is just Dai.

Reminds me of people at GameFAQS that were trying to link Vergeben sources with being confused with the cubivore pig instead of Minecraft which, while I don't put much trust into Verge for DLC, it's just an assumption that the contacts of Verge cannot make a difference between two franchises that they work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
Honestly at this point I hope, against all reason, Tiz from Bravely Default joins as "Brave" for the what factor (kinda like Robin)

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Fun Fact, In the first episode of Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, the very first few minutes into the anime you see a group of adventurers, and their leader happens to look alot like Erdrick

Untouch

Smash Master
SE is supposedly credited for Dai's figure so I'm not sure they aren't involved in some way. If anyone can verify this that'd be cool.
2225378818671854904[1].jpg

According to this, they are.
That said, Dai isn't Erdrick, I don't know how they'd get confused.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
SE is supposedly credited for Dai's figure so I'm not sure they aren't involved in some way. If anyone can verify this that'd be cool.
In this case, it would be like Pokemon. SE has veto power since they own the DQ IP. They can say yes or no, but that's about were their involvement ends. SE is only involved because it's using the DQ name, much like how Nintendo isn't involved in the production of the Pokemon anime.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
The only thing I'm iffy on is verge made it a point that SE doesn't double dip but as stated before Dai might be an exception.

D

Deleted member

I think they'd only need to be credited for the use of the name Dragon Quest. In the case of Jump Force I think they could just refer to it ingame as just "Adventure of Dai" without involving SE.
Does the figure of Dai have DQ-specific branding on it?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The only thing I'm iffy on is verge made it a point that SE doesn't double dip but as stated before Dai might be an exception.
I wouldn't consider this a double dip. Dai is solely representing a Manga rather than the DQ series as a whole.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure that people can identify which game because one has Mario, Link, and DK; and the other has Goku, Naruto, and Kenshin. Plus Erdrick is a character that has two alts by default (Male and Female) while Dai is just Dai.

Reminds me of people at GameFAQS that were trying to link Vergeben sources with being confused with the cubivore pig instead of Minecraft which, while I don't put much trust into Verge for DLC, it's just an assumption that the contacts of Verge cannot make a difference between two franchises that they work with.
While you have a point, it still begs the question on how Dai wasn't leaked like how Erdick was (would he so be in) especially when we have something that connects the two which is Namco Bandai on top of Square Enix would the attachment Coco sent is true. Something doesn't add up if you ask me

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The most significant I can see it being is if Square Enix loosened their grip on the IP just a little so this would happen to coincide with their own marketing push, but who knows. I could just as easily see them not wanting to do that since Dai looks pretty similar to Erdrick and his manga isn't well-known or even (as far as I know) available over here, so it could muddy the waters. Their Western (or at least North American) branches don't seem to care much about promoting manga; Dragon Quest Monsters+ just released in English and I don't think SE acknowledged it anywhere.

As far as finding any big hints, this looks like a wash either way.

Untouch

Smash Master
While you have a point, it still begs the question on how Dai wasn't leaked like how Erdick was (would he so be in) especially when we have something that connects the two which is Namco Bandai on top of Square Enix would the attachment Coco sent is true. Something doesn't add up if you ask me
I haven't seen ANYTHING for Jump Force leaked.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Anyway this month has sucked so I'm gonna rant now

Where the **** is our Direct dude
Every leaker's going "soon, oh no I promise it's soon" for....almost 3 weeks now?
Like god damn dude if it isn't next week I'm gonna go insane and, knowing my luck, it's not gonna be next week
Like where the **** is it
Golly, it looks like you're having trouble with leakers telling you things that don't happen.
>:3c

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

I don't see it affecting Erdrick when it's someone else being added to Jump Force.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Geno, Sora, Erdrick? I sleep

Gex? - ASCENDED
Gex.png

If you are confused.
Square owns Eidos Interactive (Also called Square Enix limited), the company that creates Gex!

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Same here... which begs the question
Is it Nintendo (would Erdick be in) that is the reason for this leak? But then again, Tekken and Soul Calibur all got leaked with their Square DLC... And you would think that it would be a big thing to be the first to get the news out that a big Shonen Jump character gets in what is arguably the biggest Manga/anime answer to Smash Bros yet.

Something just doesn't add up

D

Deleted member

I dunno about that honestly, for one now that I've seen footage of the game it seems to be being worked on by the team that worked on One Piece Burning Blood and has a lot of characters in the game. That game didn't leaked its roster either but Smash leaks happen a bit more often than Nintendo likes.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Geno, Sora, Erdrick? I sleep

Gex? - ASCENDED
View attachment 187473

If you are confused.
Square owns Eidos Interactive (Also called Square Enix limited), the company that creates Gex!
Gex could be Square Enix's assist trophy that isn't from a playable series (like Rathalos for Capcom and Akira for Sega), though I'd prefer Marina Lightyears considering they own Mischief Makers.

Untouch

Smash Master
Leaning a bit off topic, but if these ads are technically running now, I wonder what this is planned to be announced.
Jotaro and Dai would be a massive announcement, more than just announcing them in Famitsu.
Maybe the DBZF tournament? That's in like a week.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well the leak on Dai just seems like a mistake with the ads they were planning. The image really seems legit.
The leak about Erdrick may be a fake one, since it's just info. Verge is the only leaker who did pretty well and he doesn't know for sure who the SE rep is.

As far as the dai leak helping or going against the other, I don't think we can say much, except that Yuji Horii may be more willing to share DQ in other games, which is a good thing for smash too. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Leaning a bit off topic, but if these ads are technically running now, I wonder what this is planned to be announced.
Jotaro and Dai would be a massive announcement, more than just announcing them in Famitsu.
I would imagine both would be aimed for different events, maybe they were intended to be revealed to coincide with a new project regarding both franchises. Plus, I doubt the DBFZ tournament would be a good time to announce given the season 2 of DBFZ is heavily anticipated now and would get overshadowed.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's possible this was slated to be revealed at Jump Festa and, for whatever reason, the advertising that was planned after wasn't fixed to accomodate.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I dunno about that honestly, for one now that I've seen footage of the game it seems to be being worked on by the team that worked on One Piece Burning Blood and has a lot of characters in the game. That game didn't leaked its roster either but Smash leaks happen a bit more often than Nintendo likes.
Still doesn't change the fact that we have a crossover game containing some of the biggest anime and manga characters around the globe, and yet there is no leak at all with the Dragon Quest (or at all for that matter) yet somehow people know that Erdick is coming for Smash... Two games that are both developed by Namco Bandai and potentially have a character from the same Square franchise... You are absolutely right about your GameFAQs part, but I still can't help but feel that something is off here.

It doesn't help that the leakers track record with Nintendo recently, with lack of Metroid, no Square character at the VGA and someone NON had heard of at that (there is no way in hell that trailer would be able to be put out in the last minute, I can tell you that right now as an animation maniac that the quality of the animation is NOT last minute... whoever tries to use that as a defense of why the supposed square character wasn't shown at VGA knows jack **** about animation) and the supposed Nintendo direct that was going to happen this month. And don't get me started on that supposed guest that never happen at Jump Fiesta. :roll:

On top of all that, this supposed Brave that is datamined has people questioning if it is someone like Sora (and no I'm not a Sora supporter, I'm a Geno and Sephiroth on a personal "want list" of square characters) who just so happens to have a game getting released around the corner..

So excuse me but I feel like you all are getting your guard down... Awesome for you Dragon Quest fans, if he/she gets, in, but how you can say Erdick is the most likely with all things considered is beyond me

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Still doesn't change the fact that we have a crossover game containing some of the biggest anime and manga characters around the globe, and yet there is no leak at all with the Dragon Quest (or at all for that matter) yet somehow people know that Erdick is coming for Smash... Two games that are both developed by Namco Bandai and potentially have a character from the same Square franchise... You are absolutely right about your GameFAQs part, but I still can't help but feel that something is off here.
The lack of information doesn't mean something is wrong or suspicious. Smash is the bigger name and there's likely to be far more people involved in it than for Jump Force, especially at SE who's only real involvement in JF is allowing the DQ name to be in it. SE doesn't actually own Dai. Nobody's going to be asking people at SE (Which seems to be where Verge got his info) if Jump Force will have SE representation in it.

And don't get me started on that supposed guest that never happen at Jump Fiesta.
The guest did happen. it was the newly revealed JP Voices of Veronica and Jade.

D

Deleted member

Licensed games don't get leaks like Smash and other fighting games do. Not much people care and they just get leaked by the companies themselves because reveals aren't events.

D

Deleted member

Jump Force is not being developed by Namco actually, they are just publishing it. The developer for the game just like Burning Blood is Spike Chunsoft. And while the game itself contains some of the biggest franchises in Manga, its not really that much open to speculation really considering the series is contained by the limitation of being published in Jump.

I get your point regards the situation being strange to think and possibly being false the rumors of Erdrick, but on the other hand dismissing or accepting something due to being an "unique" situation that have never happened before is a bit premature.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The lack of information doesn't mean something is wrong or suspicious. Smash is the bigger name and there's likely to be far more people involved in it than for Jump Force, especially at SE who's only real involvement in JF is allowing the DQ name to be in it. SE doesn't actually own Dai. Nobody's going to be asking people at SE (Which seems to be where Verge got his info) if Jump Force will have SE representation in it.
This is Jump Fiesta we are talking about. Not a game like Brawhalla. While Smash might be a bigger game, Jump Fiesta isn't exactly some small indie title... So sorry, I have to disagree there. Also if you look at the attachment that Coco added in the post 8771, Square would be involved in Dai's inclusion:bluejump:

The guest did happen. it was the newly revealed JP Voices of Veronica and Jade.
Okay, I can admit that I missed that. But the rest of the claim about not so sturdy grounds for the leakers still remains intact

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It doesn't help that the leakers track record with Nintendo recently, with lack of Metroid, no Square character at the VGA and someone NON had heard of at that (there is no way in hell that trailer would be able to be put out in the last minute, I can tell you that right now as an animation maniac that the quality of the animation is NOT last minute... whoever tries to use that as a defense of why the supposed square character wasn't shown at VGA knows jack **** about animation) and the supposed Nintendo direct that was going to happen this month. And don't get me started on that supposed guest that never happen at Jump Fiesta. :roll:

On top of all that, this supposed Brave that is datamined has people questioning if it is someone like Sora (and no I'm not a Sora supporter, I'm a Geno and Sephiroth on a personal "want list" of square characters) who just so happens to have a game getting released around the corner..

So excuse me but I feel like you all are getting your guard down... Awesome for you Dragon Quest fans, if he/she gets, in, but how you can say Erdick is the most likely with all things considered is beyond me
It's all speculation. People who 'believe' the hearsay may get surprised. And depending on where you look, there's plenty of skeptical people.
I think Erdrick is only the most likely because of the codename 'brave' and the likelihood of an SE character coming. 'Most likely' is just based on what we know, and we dont know that much.

I mean, there were tons of supposed leakers that talked about Erdrick, so there's something to it, but they may just piggyback each other, who knows.
I don't know if you can tell, but I'm usually skeptical.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This is Jump Fiesta we are talking about. Not a game like Brawhalla. While Smash might be a bigger game, Jump Fiesta isn't exactly some small indie title... So sorry, I have to disagree there. Also if you look at the attachment that Coco added in the post 8771, Square would be involved in Dai's inclusion:bluejump:
I'm the person who made that post in the attachment. SE's involvement in Adventure of Dai is the same as Nintendo's involvement in the Pokemon Anime. Adventure of Dai is not owned by SE.

Top Bottom