• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You just got here today? Well in that case...

View attachment 187365

Enjoy your stay!
Wow, you had that one ready.

Unlike Dragon Quest. Fire Emblem is actually well know in the west now. Corrin had the Fire Emblem name lifting them up so it was easier to swallow. Erdrick would really have nothing to give him that extra boost. It doesn't help that much of the smash community has become soured to Sword Fighters. He would have to be REALLY fun and REALLY unique to be given a chance.
The Fire Emblem name is nothing compared to Dragon Quest though. Even in the West, Dragon Quest is very much a known property, and has multiple million dollar sellers and iconic characters.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm trying to make a joke based off that recurring thing. Whether it's agreed upon or not, that has been a pretty common phrase for the past weeks ("actually Erdrick doesn't fit Brave's stats too much")
The intention was to imply that'd be a recurring theme whether Noi agrees or not, but I get why it came off that way. Sorry fellas.
Also no, I am absolutely not better then that, I suck lol, but thanks Sig.

Edited the post as to not upset anyone; I realized how condescending it came off as after you corrected me.
No worries! I know you as one of the freindliest people on the boards, so I trust when you say no harm was intended. I just get tired of seeing a general condescending attitude in this thread. You may not have meant it that way, but a lot of people do in this thread. Hence why Fatman left. Maybe I'm just oversensitive to it at this point.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No worries! I know you as one of the freindliest people on the boards, so I trust when you say no harm was intended. I just get tired of seeing a general condescending attitude in this thread. You may not have meant it that way, but a lot of people do in this thread. Hence why Fatman left. Maybe I'm just oversensitive to it at this point.
Wait what? I see myself as a jaded jackass. That means a lot, Sig. Thank you for saying that.
I definitely need to keep myself in check with that; you're not being oversensitive at all. It definitely has become a problem in this thread, my own posts included, that we should all work on.
It's just a simple character leak thread; we don't need to be condescending and upset people. Not oversensitive at all.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would like to apologize if I came off as being dense or anything like that. I'm just really skeptical over anyone who claims they know something unannounced And I guess I really had no room to talk since I've never actually played a Dragon Quest game so I am speaking a lot through biases of wanting other characters.

D

Deleted member

I would like to apologize if I came off as being dense or anything like that. I'm just really skeptical over anyone who claims they know something unannounced And I guess I really had no room to talk since I've never actually played a Dragon Quest game so I am speaking a lot through biases of wanting other characters.
No worries dude, you're not. It's perfectly just to be skeptical over leaks.
If you are curious though I would recommend trying one.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest is next in line for my most wanted Square Enix rep so I understand. I personally see Geno in Ultimate as an impossibility as of now so the big competition now is with Sora and FF7. :(

E: What that means is that I can be biased too. As long as it doesn't disrupt the conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not at all. It's not the majority opinion, but a lot of people agree with you. I honestly think it's a little weird that it's the people who DON'T believe the text leaks 100% that are laughed off.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
You’ve got nothing to apologize for. It’s completely fine that you think the way you do regarding Erdrick (trust me, you’re not the only one).

I just hope we get some kind of a reveal somewhat soon so we won’t have to wait in suspense anymore.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Well. Thanks everyone. That makes me feel better. I get really into smash speculation so I'm always scared of going overboard or seeming like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well. Thanks everyone. That makes me feel better. I get really into smash speculation so I'm always scared of going overboard or seeming like I don't know what I'm talking about.
If you're on smash boards and you're not going overboard, you're doing it wrong. Embrace the crazy.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Naa you're good buddy

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If you're on smash boards and you're not going overboard, you're doing it wrong. Embrace the crazy.
Well in that case If Banjo, Geno, and Phoenix Wright aren't the last DLC characters I am marching my way straight to Nintendo HQ and giving them a strongly worded letter.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well in that case If Banjo, Geno, and Phoenix Wright aren't the last DLC characters I am marching my way straight to Nintendo HQ and giving them a strongly worded letter.
>Strongly worded letter
>Not a barrage of fire bombs

Are you even a real fan?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
>Strongly worded letter
>Not a barrage of fire bombs

Are you even a real fan?
Look pal I'm not a terrorist. Not unless of course we get another Fire Emblem rep or Steve. Then come see me. I'll go from a strongly worded letter to some angry rants on the internet. And they wouldn't want that now would they?

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Fellas, all of this could have been avoided if you just told him the truth.

If my TLDR is right, then height is referring to the distance their face is from the ground. I'm hereby dubbing it Face-ground distance.
I have to defend my baby FACE-GROUND DISTANCE

NONE SHALL DOUBT THE POWER OF FACE-GROUND DISTANCE
#teamhunchederdrick
#teamhunchedsora
#teamfacegroundtheory

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
You're all gonna look pretty silly when Chocobo joins the fray to promote everybuddy, the whole FF series and be the first character to go from Mii hat only to playable.
Chocobo.png

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
With the treatment that Cloud and FFVII got in Ultimate, I'm starting to doubt we'll get a new Square Rep. They removed the Chocobo and Geno Mii Costumes and didn't add anything new from Square this game. Also, I've heard that Cloud almost was cut from the game. If they're this stingy, I kinda doubt they'd allow another character in. I hope they change their minds tho, since there's a lot of Square Enix characters I'd love to see in Smash.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
With the treatment that Cloud and FFVII got in Ultimate, I'm starting to doubt we'll get a new Square Rep. They removed the Chocobo and Geno Mii Costumes and didn't add anything new from Square this game. Also, I've heard that Cloud almost was cut from the game. If they're this stingy, I kinda doubt they'd allow another character in. I hope they change their minds tho, since there's a lot of Square Enix characters I'd love to see in Smash.
They cut all 3rd party mii stuff so that doesn't really count. And square in general wise, they added Geno and Mallow spirits.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
They cut all 3rd party mii stuff so that doesn't really count. And square in general wise, they added Geno and Mallow spirits.
Geno and Mallow kinda belong to Nintendo too, being Mario characters, so it's understandable that they got at least them. SMRPG is really weird when it comes to ownership, since it's split between Nintendo and Square. Square should just give Nintendo total ownership of these 2 in my opinion. It's not like they are going to use them in new games anyway. Just let Nintendo keep these 2 characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Geno and Mallow kinda belong to Nintendo too, being Mario characters, so it's understandable that they got at least them. SMRPG is really weird when it comes to ownership, since it's split between Nintendo and Square. Square should just give Nintendo total ownership of these 2 in my opinion. It's not like they are going to use them in new games anyway. Just let Nintendo keep these 2 characters.
They don't belong to Nintendo in any way. It's 100% Square-Enix's content. It is possible their contract might say that Geno and Mallow and other unique SMRPG content cannot be licensed for non-Nintendo products, though. But that's just a guess, and it's probably more SE not wanting to put it on a non-Nintendo system content-wise cause they're tied to the Mario series, which would make it hard to put it anywhere else. Any actual content Nintendo owns is relevant, so to get even a PC release of SMRPG, you'd need both companies' permissions. Which isn't easy. Licensing just SE to put it on a Nintendo system again is comparatively easy.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
They don't belong to Nintendo in any way. It's 100% Square-Enix's content. It is possible their contract might say that Geno and Mallow and other unique SMRPG content cannot be licensed for non-Nintendo products, though. But that's just a guess, and it's probably more SE not wanting to put it on a non-Nintendo system content-wise cause they're tied to the Mario series, which would make it hard to put it anywhere else. Any actual content Nintendo owns is relevant, so to get even a PC release of SMRPG, you'd need both companies' permissions. Which isn't easy. Licensing just SE to put it on a Nintendo system again is comparatively easy.
I stand corrected then. I still think they should give Nintendo the rights for at least the characters though, leaving them unused for years seems like a waste. If Nintendo had the rights for them, I bet Sakurai would've used them in Smash a long time ago.

D

Deleted member

Wasn't the original plan for Cloud being for him to be DLC? If that's the case, Chocobo and Geno being added after launch holds up with this theory. A Square Enix character is possible. It's at a point where people are now just waiting to see who it is.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
I feel like this might've been said before, but whatever.

Erdrick is obviously a literal "who?" to most people in the West (saying this as a DQ fan.) They're going to have to market him really well in order to make serious profit off of him. The best way to do this would be making him like Goku.

Most of the initial reactions I've seen to Erdrick online have been "he looks like Goku/Gohan." He'll probably make some sales off of his design alone, but if Nintendo really wants to make bank, they really need to capitalize on the DBZ angle; the best way to introduce him would be with a fakeout trailer animated by Toei. Then in the gameplay trailer, play the DQ3 fight music (play it over a DBZ fight; it fits with the soundtrack way too well), give him some DBZ-esque poses/kicks, and maybe throw in the Tension system somehow.

Erdrick might be obscure to most people over here, but I guarantee if he shows up fighting like DBZ character, people will eat that **** up.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I don't think marketing Dragon Quest as something it isn't is a particularly good idea. Of course there's some stuff you can play up, but DBZ fans will probably just be disappointed that they didn't get Goku, and anyone who plays a DQ game expecting it to be like DBZ would likely be let down too. People are already inclined to dismiss DQ as generic, so making it look too much like something people are already familiar with could do more harm than good. Better to try to express Dragon Quest's actual appeal, its consistent quality and cozy charm. It's really more like Kirby than DBZ.

I think the smartest way to market a DQ character would be to really go for the legacy angle. Maybe parade out some well-known game directors and have them say a bit about why it's so important. Then announce ports of some of the older games, then talk about DQXI S, then announce the Smash character.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I feel like this might've been said before, but whatever.

Erdrick is obviously a literal "who?" to most people in the West (saying this as a DQ fan.) They're going to have to market him really well in order to make serious profit off of him. The best way to do this would be making him like Goku.

Most of the initial reactions I've seen to Erdrick online have been "he looks like Goku/Gohan." He'll probably make some sales off of his design alone, but if Nintendo really wants to make bank, they really need to capitalize on the DBZ angle; the best way to introduce him would be with a fakeout trailer animated by Toei. Then in the gameplay trailer, play the DQ3 fight music (play it over a DBZ fight; it fits with the soundtrack way too well), give him some DBZ-esque poses/kicks, and maybe throw in the Tension system somehow.

Erdrick might be obscure to most people over here, but I guarantee if he shows up fighting like DBZ character, people will eat that **** up.
I nosebleed at the thought.

I want to agree and disagree though. That could prove to be a double edged sword.... But then again, if Nintendo could make a Piranha Plant trailer exciting, I'm sure Erdrick could be a no brainer.

But to court your idea. There's something I'm going to point out.
In every animation I've seen of Erdrick, and a lot other DQ characters, when they charge forward to attack, they look like DBZ characters, hovering over the ground as they do. And we already have Cloud moving similarly, so it's not imposible.

But back to the point of your idea, they wouldn't really have to play pretend-DBZ since DQ is essentially medieval DB (in RPG format).
I could see them referencing DB, but by pure coincidence.
Although, I would LOVE for the trailer to start with a close up on his face, particularly eyes+eyebrows, and nose. Then Focus on boots, hands, etc before camera zooms out.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
I don't think marketing Dragon Quest as something it isn't is a particularly good idea. Of course there's some stuff you can play up, but DBZ fans will probably just be disappointed that they didn't get Goku, and anyone who plays a DQ game expecting it to be like DBZ would likely be let down too. People are already inclined to dismiss DQ as generic, so making it look too much like something people are already familiar with could do more harm than good. Better to try to express Dragon Quest's actual appeal, its consistent quality and cozy charm. It's really more like Kirby than DBZ.

I think the smartest way to market a DQ character would be to really go for the legacy angle. Maybe parade out some well-known game directors and have them say a bit about why it's so important. Then announce ports of some of the older games, then talk about DQXI S, then announce the Smash character.
You're probably right.

I just don't know how they'll get people excited for him/DQ over here. Then again, they managed to sell people on ****ing Piranha Plant, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The best way, in my opinion, would be to market him as a unique representative who is incredibly fun and proves the assumption of him being a generic sword fighter wrong. And then as more people play him and word spreads around, people will continue to buy him. This keeps true to Dragon Quest and is the logical turnabout no matter how initially hype he is to westerners. Explain how Dragon Quest is historically very important and people will open up to him. Also add how the art style is just endearing and he already has way more visual personality than people like Cloud, Marth, or Link.

Also never forget how DQ is popular in Japan. So much to where Japan alone could probably bring a net positive. America probably will not affect how he plays, which I am grateful for.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
I nosebleed at the thought.

I want to agree and disagree though. That could prove to be a double edged sword.... But then again, if Nintendo could make a Piranha Plant trailer exciting, I'm sure Erdrick could be a no brainer.

But to court your idea. There's something I'm going to point out.
In every animation I've seen of Erdrick, and a lot other DQ characters, when they charge forward to attack, they look like DBZ characters, hovering over the ground as they do. And we already have Cloud moving similarly, so it's not imposible.

But back to the point of your idea, they wouldn't really have to play pretend-DBZ since DQ is essentially medieval DB (in RPG format).
I could see them referencing DB, but by pure coincidence.
Although, I would LOVE for the trailer to start with a close up on his face, particularly eyes+eyebrows, and nose. Then Focus on boots, hands, etc before camera zooms out.
The best way, in my opinion, would be to market him as a unique representative who is incredibly fun and proves the assumption of him being a generic sword fighter wrong. And then as more people play him and word spreads around, people will continue to buy him. This keeps true to Dragon Quest and is the logical turnabout no matter how initially hype he is to westerners. Explain how Dragon Quest is historically very important and people will open up to him. Also add how the art style is just endearing and he already has way more visual personality than people like Cloud, Marth, or Link.

Also never forget how DQ is popular in Japan. So much to where Japan alone could probably bring a net positive. America probably will not affect how he plays, which I am grateful for.
Alright, you guys convinced me against the Goku angle.

I still think they should do the trailer fakeout though (mostly for legendary reaction potential lmao)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Alright, you guys convinced me against the Goku angle.

I still think they should do the trailer fakeout though (mostly for legendary reaction potential lmao)
I mean, I don't think they should shy away from the connection either. Including Tension or Pep would work perfectly fine, and those are already pretty much a DBZ reference in Dragon Quest itself. It'd be remiss not to mention ~character designs by legendary manga author Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball~ somewhere, and if he did new designs for Erdrick or whoever, showing those off with maybe a little note from him would be fun.

It just shouldn't come at the expense of Dragon Quest's own identity. Like, I saw it suggested somewhere once that Erdrick should be voiced by Goku or Gohan's voice actor, which is completely baffling.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I think that if Erdrick turns out to be in the game, they should just announce it like they always announce Dragon Quest games, you know, just do what they always do. Trying to shove Dragon Ball into Dragon Quest just to get the western audience to feel hyped for Erdrick wouldn't be a really good idea. The japanese audience alone will generate enough hype for the character to be well received, and anyone over here in the west that whines about Erdrick not being Goku really needs to grow up. Dragon Quest is Dragon Quest, Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps a little off topic, but this seems an appropriate thread to ask this question - are there any leakers who have a consistent track record of correctly calling new characters? I'm not talking one or two correct guesses or even lists (as I see it, it's easy to create a list of most popular and therefore most likely characters and release it as a "leak'), I'm talking about consistently nailing who the next reveal is going to be.

D

Deleted member

Perhaps a little off topic, but this seems an appropriate thread to ask this question - are there any leakers who have a consistent track record of correctly calling new characters? I'm not talking one or two correct guesses or even lists (as I see it, it's easy to create a list of most popular and therefore most likely characters and release it as a "leak'), I'm talking about consistently nailing who the next reveal is going to be.
Vergeben. While he himself is not fun to follow, he was able to guess people like Simon, Isabelle, Incineroar, and I think Ridley. He was one of the few people who stuck to their guns against the Grinch leak. Some people try to discredit him by saying he didn't guess King K. Rool or other specific details, but that just means his information isn't all seeing and he knows it. He tries to be very cautious with what he actually claims. When he does guess something about Smash, he's usually right. The only time he was ever wrong about claiming something was that a Square Enix character would be the first DLC character revealed. However, the fact that a Square Enix character being in would tie back to him since he's been saying there would be one before the game was even released.

For the specifics of the rep itself, all Vergeben really knows is a list of characters (which is the same list for this thread) and a poll of what people inside are saying. A lot of fake names are going around inside so there's no real guess he's making, but some names are more said than others. Erdrick's name has come up more than other characters. I think it's either him, Luminary, and Sephirath that are being said most, but someone can correct me on that.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Actually I think Geno has more of a chance in that department then most people give him credit for. Like it or not the Smash community is what is pushing Geno along. There is not one person in the Smash community who doesn't know who Geno is at this point. When it comes to Erdrick, outside of Japan most people are expressing disapproval if not outright hostility towards the idea. Even most Dragon Quest fans seem to be asking for someone else from the series. I feel overall Geno would have the most net positivity towards his reveal. There are not very many people out there that say outright Geno should never be in Smash. And most people that haven't really looked to far into Geno at least admit his addition would make the majority of the Smash community happy.But what has been bothering me the most about all this is that the common idea is all the DLC is just going to be advertisements for upcoming games. It's a large part of where all the Erdrick speculation is coming from. Two upcoming Dragon Quest games coming to the west.
Openly hostile? I haven't seen anything to indicate that sort of mood towards Dragon Quest outside of people who either wanted another Square character and treat the competition like dirt, or people who just like to try and cause controversy for certain choices cause they see the opportunity. The Smash community knowing Geno, unfortunately, means not a whole lot. Yeah, most people on message boards know him really well, but I've seen equal parts vitriol for him in that same community. Geno, again unfortunately, has arguably the most opposition of any popular character choice in a post-Ridley world.

Now, yes, Ridley did make it in. But the problem there is that Ridley had plenty of reason to make it in on his own outside of fan support. Geno relies entirely on fan support to get in. If we hadn't supported him over the years, he'd be a forgotten relic of Super Mario RPG and Nintendo wouldn't even look twice.

It's just tough to say what the Smash community is "pushing" since so much of the community can differ wildly from one place to the next. I certainly think Geno is quite popular with a good portion of the community, but that's again from the more limited places I look and the more hardcore fanbase I choose to interact with. And a good portion of us know EVERYTHING Nintendo related. If we start opening the Smash community more broadly, I think Geno starts to really lose some traction. Geno supporters have done a great job of even having his name penetrate those circles of less involved people, but I still think that people say a little too easily how widespread his popularity is. Anecdotally I've never met anyone who actually knows who Geno is in real life despite many of them being big fans of Smash and telling me their favorite characters to add for example. Obviously I can't apply that super far, but it does at least show a number of Smash fans unaware of his base existence.

Now Dragon Quest may not necessarily more known here, but the key component is that Dragon Quest DOES have a reason to be in Smash beyond any fan support as a major RPG franchise that basically spawned the modern RPG for home consoles with a 30 year connection to Nintendo. I can't influence how people look at the inclusion of the series, but Dragon Quest would be a far cry from "Just an advertisement" as so many people would like to say. Erdrick is not even in the same ballpark as Corrin given his game comes from 30 years ago at this point and again, the series just has weight. Beyond that, people generally accept Smash characters anyway, so I don't see why Dragon Quest would be any different as an addition.

And I say all this as a person who still sees Geno as his most wanted, I'm just somewhat frustrated with seeing Dragon Quest downgraded from it's actual importance and legacy in these discussions, while Super Mario RPG often gets the inverse. I love Super Mario RPG, and have been loving my forays into Dragon Quest so far, but their legacy and impact is a distinctly different question.

The problem with using both Persona and Castlevania as examples is that they were both already popular series around the world before showing up in Smash. So they would already have mass appeal. Dragon Quest doesn't have that luxury. It would be a huge risk for them. That I am not denying they won't try however. I still see Dragon Quest happening just because of the Japanese market. I just think they should go with a character with mass appeal and requested.
I don't know if Persona is the best comparison as Persona 5 is the best selling Persona game and it sold 2 million copies worldwide ( https://www.vg247.com/2017/12/01/pe...es-worldwide-the-highest-sales-in-the-series/ ) while Dragon Quest 11 sold 4 million worldwide with 800,000 in the West ( https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/11/07/dragon-quest-11-sales-numbers-4-million/#/slide/1 ). We've also talked about how there are other million sales DQ titles in the states as well, so I don't see Persona as something massively popular in comparison to DQ.

Especially when again, and I've said this before, the Japanese made game that has so far exclusively incorporated Japanese third parties developed by a massive fan of Japanese games, would be incorporating the biggest Japanese game franchise not currently represented in Smash. I don't think we can ever understate that fact....

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It wouldn't be the first time that Nintendo puts out a character really popular in japan that the west doensn't know as well. But Dragon Quest is still incredibly known, so as long as you really make the dragonquest-esque shine with the character and the trailer, then people will connect with it. Put plenty of slimes and cool skills. :p

I dont think it's a bad idea to get some good animation that reminds a bit to dbz, but just not overdoing it. If the character will have party members in the final smash or something, then they can show a party together at some point, really showing that it's coming from an rpg. Those are just ideas. I personally feel like a specific hero isn't as important as representing the series itself through the character :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom