• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
The thing that makes Dragon Quest notable isn't "Sakurai played the game and liked it." That's a weak argument. It's the fact that written about and praised the series repeatedly that sticks out, especially his comparison of Kirby to a Dragon Quest character (see: Square Enix Character argument) and roundtable discussion with Junichi Masuda and Yuji Horii, director of Dragon Quest.
yeah that actually happened lol
Sakurai (Smash, Kirby, Uprising),  Horii (DQ), and Masuda (Pokemon).jpg

That's how I know its disappointing. Though how much permission they got for him im not even sure.
they were pretty willing if you as me, waaaay back in 2006 too
https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/06/30/nomura-and-kojima-talk-ps3

This lead to talk about collaborations, which of course, lead to talk of Solid Snake's appearance in the Wii version of Smash Brothers: "That was very surprising," said Nomura. "Cloud won't make an appearance?" asked Kojima. "We didn't get an offer," responded Nomura with a laugh.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
yeah that actually happened lol
View attachment 187428
Darn. I only recognize two faces. But whatever that box is, it has the emblem of Erdrick in it. So that means.... It's Sakurai and the DQ Team?

Just imagine all those games he grew up playing, and he can now stand proudly among the gods of his childhood. Sakurai is truly an inspiration.

D

Deleted member

Darn. I only recognize two faces. But whatever that box is, it has the emblem of Erdrick in it. So that means.... It's Sakurai and the DQ Team?

Just imagine all those games he grew up playing, and he can now stand proudly among the gods of his childhood. Sakurai is truly an inspiration.
Another face is mencioned on DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon coment actually, Masuda from Pokemon, and the other two are the interviewers.

I like to think that the reason Sakurai always comes back for Smash is just because of all the franchises he can work with.

Untouch

Smash Master
Obviously should be taken with a grain of salt, but apparently Dai (from the Dragon Quest manga) was leaked for Jump Force.
download_20190119_132302[1].jpg

He was supposed to be in another Jump game but was cut because of licencing issues.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
imagine that DQ manga character got leaked for jump force while that we were sure that Erdrick from DQ would be in smash
You can't make this **** up anymore

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Oh, I wante
All this tells us is that a reveal was planned for the game awards at the time, not necessarily Joker himself.
Well, the situation seeming that Joker has the most work done on him and is the closest to release, considering how long it takes to make a character does certainly help that stance.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
imagine that DQ manga character got leaked for jump force while that we were sure that Erdrick from DQ would be in smash
Interesting. Might be worth checking out jump force if we can. I dont know much about it myself.
I doubt that nintendo would care to have exclusivity with such a big company, so I dont think it'd change anything for getting a DQ rep in smash.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Obviously should be taken with a grain of salt, but apparently Dai (from the Dragon Quest manga) was leaked for Jump Force.
View attachment 187435

He was supposed to be in another Jump game but was cut because of licencing issues.
*Sprays coffee all over the screen

WHAT???
I literally was thinking that it's be great to have Dai in the game! But I didn't know what the implications with the whole DQ being a VG series could be like to make it possible!
Before @liquidmetalslime I said it, I had no Idea his series was that big!

...was the leaker Vergeben or Tansut by any chance?
:p

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

WHAT???
I literally was thinking that it's be great to have Dai in the game! But I didn't know what the implications with the whole DQ being a VG series could be like to make it possible!

check my post, some leaker on the twitter managed to found the unseen instagram ads

D

Deleted member

WHAT???

Seems to be a slipup by Bamco themselves, putting him in an Instagram advert.

Untouch

Smash Master
What this means is one thing.
Namco got the rights to use at least one Dragon Quest character, even if the rights technically aren't the same. (I would image Horii and Toriyama are still involved in the negotiations).
There goes all arguments about "but there's 800 parties involved so it's impossible!", time to flush those down the drain.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i had no interest in this game even tho I'm a big Jump fan but suddenly i want it thanks to Jojo and DQ thank you for dropping this in the thread

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Namco got the rights to use at least one Dragon Quest character, even if the rights technically aren't the same. (I would image Horii and Toriyama are still involved in the negotiations).
There goes all arguments about "but there's 800 parties involved so it's impossible!", time to flush those down the drain.
I don't think anyone seriously said it was impossible, just that it was difficult, and that's still totally valid.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
AFAIK, Toriyama did not design Dai.

I have watched the anime, and I know for a fact that Dai LOVES his monster friends. He even has a way to summon them. So seeing Slime, and some other monster kind should go without saying.

Tinfoil moment. What if the leak was talking about Dai? And Slime incorporated into his moveset is something I'd see coming from Dai but not from Erdrick.

Untouch

Smash Master

I have watched the anime, and I know for a fact that Dai LOVES his monster friends. He even has a way to summon them. So seeing Slime, and some other monster kind should go without saying.

Tinfoil moment. What if the leak was talking about Dai? And Slime incorporated into his moveset is something I'd see coming from Dai but not from Erdrick.
Doubt it.
The leaks came from Square Enix employees I believe, Square Enix doesn't have anything to do with the Dragon Quest manga.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Man that Jump Force news is extremely interesting, it really makes me think about the licensing and budgeting for both Jump Force and Smash Ultimate's DLC. It is kind of hilarious. :laugh:

I imagine with Jump Force, SJ has a bigger budget given the licensing of both Square and Konami. Shonen Jump and Bandai are going all out on Jump Force, which I am impressed with.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Being a manga character, I don't think it fits the criteria of having to come from a video game. Also even less known than erdrick.
The height would fit more tho :p

D

Deleted member

Im gonna have to say that ouf of all the characters that i expect the most (assuming if there's even a Square one) it's Edrick. He gives me similar vibes to Simon (basically the most prominent main protagonist of the franchise, a competely logical guest choice for Smash that isn't really talked about that much, at least not until prominent insiders backed them up) and history tends to repeat itself. I would prefer him over Slime, because while Slime is charming, im not into playing as a Slime. That is, if he is based on "Kid" design. I find that look to be very charming, while the taller one makes it look kinda boring in my eyes (even the Toriyama style doesn't save it)

Sephiroth would be underwhelming to me. Look, i know FF7 is the JRGP for the West and more Playable villains are cool and all, but i would rather have another protagonist from the FF Multiverse like Terra (i know FF6 is an essemble cast story but she is the poster child in Dissidia) or Cecil, or even Something like the Black Mage (i mean Piranha Plants is playable so generic entities are on the table now).

As much as i like Chrono Trigger, i can't get that excited about the idea of Crono playable. I know everybody would rip me apart for saying ASU, but everytim i imagine a moveset, i think of the most basic type of character. Even the whole Thunder Sword idea has been done by Robin.

I want Geno the most, if only because the idea of seeing this one obscure character beat the odds and become a playable character in Smash because of a community rallying behind him is just extremely inspiring to me, but im on the "Spirits likely decomfirm characters" band, so he's already out of the running for me.

I don't think it's gonna be Neku, though, even if the idea of Give Me All Your Love playing in the background as a battle goes on make me laugh.

Sora though............yeah, for some reason i don't see that happening.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Being a manga character, I don't think it fits the criteria of having to come from a video game. Also even less known than erdrick.
The height would fit more tho :p
I heard that the licencing hurdles for Adventures of Dai are some serious business. Due to an article from a spanish manga publisher that wanted to continue (with the translation of ?) the series.

I can't imagine the games being harder to work with.

That size though. :D

Dang, if Erdrick doesn't happen, I can at least fall back on Dai to get my DQ character in a Fighting game fix. :)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Anyway this month has sucked so I'm gonna rant now

Where the **** is our Direct dude
Every leaker's going "soon, oh no I promise it's soon" for....almost 3 weeks now?
Like god damn dude if it isn't next week I'm gonna go insane and, knowing my luck, it's not gonna be next week
Like where the **** is it

D

Deleted member

View attachment 187435

Alright, my interest moved from meh to maybe...

Hope its not trash like other recent Jump fighting games, which surprises me considering they made the best smash clone.

Some protagonists in DQ can invoke Monsters like in V, VI or VIII

D

Deleted member

OH MY GOD JOTARO HAS HIS BLUE COAT!

Err i mean, oh cool Dragon Quest is represented in Jump Force i wonder how that could affect Smash and all that jazz.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Every leaker's going "soon, oh no I promise it's soon" for....almost 3 weeks now?
Like god damn dude if it isn't next week I'm gonna go insane and, knowing my luck, it's not gonna be next week
My personal theory is that January's gonna be a whole buncha nothin'. February's gonna have the Pokemon Direct to reveal Gen 8, and March will have the first Nintendo Direct of the year.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

it's been pretty boring news wise it doesn't help that everyone's on edge waiting for that direct honestly i think something will happen next week i mean didn't polarpanda say that an indie direct would come or something

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My personal theory is that January's gonna be a whole buncha nothin'. February's gonna have the Pokemon Direct to reveal Gen 8, and March will have the first Nintendo Direct of the year.
My personal theory is that if this happens I am going to want to die even more then I have wanted to for 2 weeks

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, if DQ gets in both JF and Smash, that is INSANE. The miracle happens not once, but twice? Literally lightning striking twice right there. I mean it when I say I'm super happy for y'all. I can only imagine being in your position's gotta be amazing right now. I kinda can't help but be a little envious, given I'm a Geno fan and I wish he could have gotten even a sliver of that pie, h-haha—

That being said, though, DQ really does deserve it. Hopefully it gets its rise in the West because of this, because it deserves it for its legacy that continues to this day.

D

Deleted member

I expect a Direct soon, if not early Ferbruary. Piranha Plant comes out next month and they're not just gonna announce its release date in an ingame news alert.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Man, if DQ gets in both JF and Smash, that is INSANE. The miracle happens not once, but twice? Literally lightning striking twice right there. I mean it when I say I'm super happy for y'all. I can only imagine being in your position's gotta be amazing right now. I kinda can't help but be a little envious, given I'm a Geno fan and I wish he could have gotten even a sliver of that pie, h-haha—

That being said, though, DQ really does deserve it. Hopefully it gets its rise in the West because of this, because it deserves it for its legacy that continues to this day.
Thanks! Still crossing our fingers for the Big E. But like I said, it's great to have Dai to fall back on if he doesn't end up in Smash.

I can only hope Geno gets the love he deserves.
I was just thinking.... Square-Enix and Nintendo crossovers are not exactly rare..

Why couldn't they just throw the fans a bone and add Geno in a game, like Say, Mario Hoops 3on3 where it was Mario x FF & Slime?

Or in Fortune Street, although that's mainly a DQ spinoff.

Of course my personal favorite outcomes would be:
- Erdrick + Geno in Smash
- Mario & Luigi game with Geno & Mallow as the 2nd party Team.
- New Mario + FF + DQ sports crossover with Geno and Mallow as guest characters.

All in all. Don't lose hope yet! Before the leaks, I felt Geno had everything going for him.
It's crazy, but I think he's a dear character to Sakurai.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thanks! Still crossing our fingers for the Big E. But like I said, it's great to have Dai to fall back on if he doesn't end up in Smash.

I can only hope Geno gets the love he deserves.
I was just thinking.... Square-Enix and Nintendo crossovers are not exactly rare..

Why couldn't they just throw the fans a bone and add Geno in a game, like Say, Mario Hoops 3on3 where it was Mario x FF & Slime?

Or in Fortune Street, although that's mainly a DQ spinoff.

Of course my personal favorite outcomes would be:
- Erdrick + Geno in Smash
- Mario & Luigi game with Geno & Mallow as the 2nd party Team.
- New Mario + FF + DQ sports crossover with Geno and Mallow as guest characters.

All in all. Don't lose hope yet! Before the leaks, I felt Geno had everything going for him.
It's crazy, but I think he's a dear character to Sakurai.
Man, both DQ AND Geno being in Smash would be the absolute ideal scenario. DQ finally gets what it deserves, the fans finally get Geno's revival after over two decades, Geno and Mallow have their chances in the spotlight for main Mario stuff again, and everything is joyful.

If it was just Nintendo we'd have to worry about, I'd be very positive about it, but since it's Square... I'unno. I don't have much faith in them when it comes to Geno, but that's just me being realistic + pretty pessimistic.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
While I would love the idea of trolling the Dragon Ball fanatics that want Goku no matter what, I do think it would be a better option not to because it would just cause a tone of **** YOU WHERE IS GOKU. No offense to you Dragon Quest fans, but you don't want any more controversy to add on top of the more likely new Corringate (sorry but if you think this character will go over well in general, then you are quite naive) if Erdick would really be included.

If Square wanted Erdick in for promotion with as less problem as possible, then they should have realized that base game would be the right way to go.

Still find it tragically beautiful that, out of all the DLC picks, ****in' ERDRICK became the big obvious one of this cycle.

How could they hide Joker...
...and **** up so bad with Erdrick.
Yes because leakers that have had nothing right so far when it comes to the DLC, the same people that claim we would get a Nintendo direct THIS MONTH makes it the most obvious. Heck, not even the supposed Brave stats as of right now screams obvious Erdick which makes the leakers even less trustworthy if that's the cause if Brave is the next one, and Erdick wouldn't be the one revealed, that would two times they have said Square will be the next DLC still not to happen. Sorry, but I wouldn't say Erdick the most likely just yet. This is potentially more likely just grinch leak all over again

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Well looks like the rumors were true.

Jotaro isn’t that big of a surprise, but I’m very happy he’s in.

Now where’s Dio?

As for Dai, I’m not extremely surprised, due to rumors, but I’m happy that he did at least get into Jump Force. Not one I originally expected, but it makes sense.

Hopefully DQ gets a little more recognition after this appearance.

D

Deleted member

A direct means nothing if it doesn't have a reveal, mate. Don't go pining over directs just yet.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If true, it's a boon in DQ's chances if you ask me. It shows that SE is still open to the idea of Dragon Quest in crossovers.

Untouch

Smash Master
If true, it's a boon in DQ's chances if you ask me. It shows that SE is still open to the idea of Dragon Quest in crossovers.
Dai isn't owned by Square Enix technically, he's owned by Armour Project though (Horii), and possibly Bird Studio (Toriyama).
Does show that Horii is onboard with Namco using the characters (thought that was never a problem).
He may get some Dragon Quest music too (don't really know how that works though).

D

Deleted member

Man, both DQ AND Geno being in Smash would be the absolute ideal scenario. DQ finally gets what it deserves, the fans finally get Geno's revival after over two decades, Geno and Mallow have their chances in the spotlight for main Mario stuff again, and everything is joyful.

If it was just Nintendo we'd have to worry about, I'd be very positive about it, but since it's Square... I'unno. I don't have much faith in them when it comes to Geno, but that's just me being realistic + pretty pessimistic.
My sentiments exactly. I know a lot of people have said the same thing already, but it's really a damn bummer how many good characters SE has compared to how many we would likely actually get.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Dai isn't owned by Square Enix technically, he's owned by Armour Project though (Horii), and possibly Bird Studio (Toriyama).
Does show that Horii is onboard with Namco using the characters (thought that was never a problem).
He may get some Dragon Quest music too (don't really know how that works though).
Oh, I see. My bad.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My sentiments exactly. I know a lot of people have said the same thing already, but it's really a damn bummer how many good characters SE has compared to how many we would likely actually get.
Yeah, and I'm sure that this is rough for a lot of people for that reason. In my personal case, it's even worse because of all the characters Squeenix has as possible Smash characters, Geno is the only one I have any emotional attachment to. At least a lot of the other ones sans poor Crono are alive in the public eye and have chances for future appearances, whereas the one I happen to have a personal love for happens to be the one that's shafted the most.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm just airing grievances here. It's just definitely rough to be a Geno fan right now, you know?

Top Bottom