• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's always more exciting when smash makes a whole series feel at home, especially if its gonna be for DLC. To go to the effort of getting permission to use the franchise in smash and then just to give it the bare minimum is disappointing for any franchise, especially 3rd party.
It may be disappointing but yet again; many people get absolutely NOTHING. So for god's sake; be happy with what you get. That's... the LEAST I ask of DQ fan's at this point.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
DQ is a series known with various heroes just like CV, so its natural to want one's favorites especially since a few can work as skins. If Erdrick is the only one we get its good, if we get additional skins its better.

I think its a valid fear, people like the characters represented the best they can.
But would getting all the heroes on one fighter really represent the series the best? I genuinely ask because the impression I've been getting is that people think some of them wouldn't really work.

I think for an unrepresented series its fair to hope for Castlevania's treatment but that was above an beyond what anyone else got so I think it's not exactly something that every series should expect.

D

Deleted member

But would getting all the heroes on one fighter really represent the series the best? I genuinely ask because the impression I've been getting is that people think some of them wouldn't really work.

I think for an unrepresented series its fair to hope for Castlevania's treatment but that was above an beyond what anyone else got so I think it's not exactly something that every series should expect.
And just like I said, if we get only Erdrick thats fine but if we can get something like CV that would be nice.
Hey, have you met us FFVII, Cloud Strife and Final Fantasy fans?
At least I hoped for the summons to be spirits.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It depends, but i dont think they're different enough that it woldnt work, and DQ sword skills and magic are enough of the same across all the series even if a few of them can't use magic, but most of them can.
So I think it could work (at least enough to have a decent selection)

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
That's how I know its disappointing. Though how much permission they got for him im not even sure.
The point is that, going on about which 3rd party deserves to have multiple playable Smash appearances.

I guess, talking about DQ getting multiple showings before a first is even confirmed can rub some people the wrong way. And if it's about supposedly giving it the representation it deserves, potentially taking up space from potential newcomers when Pokemon and Fire Emblem, two first parties, already have heavy backlash for such.....eh.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
And just like I said, if we get only Erdrick thats fine but if we can get something like CV that would be nice.
I know my response wasn't really directed at you specifically just a continuation of the conversation.

It depends, but they're all heroes, and DQ sword skills and magic are the same across all the series even if a few of them can't use magic, but most of them can.
So I think it could work.
I don't know DQ but when I compare it to Fire Emblem I see it this way.

Yes you COULD in theory make all the different lords costumes over Marth's moveset, they all use swords and are more or less around the same size, but I think it would be kinda weird for some of them to move exactly like Marth and it would be way worse if they removed some of Marth's characteristics from the moveset to make it more generic for all the lords. And this isn't even talking about some of the lords it just wouldn't feel right with at all (Ike/Sigurid/Leif/Corrin).

So I just wonder if this same thing applies to Dragon Quest heroes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The point is that, going on about which 3rd party deserves to have multiple playable Smash appearances.

I guess, talking about DQ getting multiple showings before a first is even confirmed can rub some people the wrong way. And if it's about supposedly giving it the representation it deserves, potentially taking up space from potential newcomers when Pokemon and Fire Emblem, two first parties, already have heavy backlash for such.....eh.
I feel most of us here arent talking in the context of reps but rather skins for the DQ rep...

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I was just talking about DQ content in smash in general, like music, the stage and spirits. I know it'd have 1 character with maybe some other characters as alts if ultra lucky.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I was just talking about DQ content in smash in general, like music, the stage and spirits. I know it'd have 1 character with maybe some other characters as alts if ultra lucky.
You still literally have nothing to worry about. Music was heavily advertised and you are guaranteed one stage. Besides; I'm taking issue with the fact that you are already complaining that he will not get into the next Smash when he hasn't even been announced yet. That seem's incredibly entitled.

Edit: after re-reading your statement; by "one game" do you mean you are worried only one DQ game will be represented? I admit I didn't catch that meaning the first time I read it.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You still literally have nothing to worry about. Music was heavily advertised and you are guaranteed one stage. Besides; I'm taking issue with the fact that you are already complaining that he will not get into the next Smash when he hasn't even been announced yet. That seem's incredibly entitled.
I think he's just worrying that it wont represent DQ as a whole, which I actually agree is kind of unwarranted, especially with that fact that there will be a stage coming along, and I bet there'll be some cool DQ stuff on it. It's sure to make people curious if they dont already know about the series.

Anyway, enjoy what there'll be. And we dont really know that it's going to be.
gtg. laters and have fun talking if you can.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Edit: after re-reading your statement; by "one game" do you mean you are worried only one DQ game will be represented? I admit I didn't catch that meaning the first time I read it.
Yeah I meant just one DQ game, which would be 3 if Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

I know my response wasn't really directed at you specifically just a continuation of the conversation.

I don't know DQ but when I compare it to Fire Emblem I see it this way.

Yes you COULD in theory make all the different lords costumes over Marth's moveset, they all use swords and are more or less around the same size, but I think it would be kinda weird for some of them to move exactly like Marth and it would be way worse if they removed some of Marth's characteristics from the moveset to make it more generic for all the lords. And this isn't even talking about some of the lords it just wouldn't feel right with at all (Ike/Sigurid/Leif/Corrin).

So I just wonder if this same thing applies to Dragon Quest heroes.
If anything the DQ heroes situation is pretty different from Marth for the reasons you gave, the heroes in DQ are practically a blank state for the player to self-insert like a classic rpg, rather than outright characters like Marth or Roy. A few of the protagonists share spells and abilities, and due to Toriyama sameface it could make a bit more sense for them to be skins or alts.

Its kind of silly situation but I guess we'll see when the time comes if DQ is actually in and how its represented.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I mean 4 of the FE characters literally share majority of moves, and Lucina was gonna be a straight up alt at one point so its not too strange. With DQ the iconic sword and shield are usable by a lot of heroes anyway so its more like a Link situation in that sense, its just they aren't literally always the same sorta guy.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I've never really been a fan of SE games. But I do know that many SE characters top fan charts consistently. So It would be really strange to ignore all those characters to add a DQ character instead that would be basically unknown to anyone in the west. I know Japan would get a kick out of it but most of the west would just scratch their heads and wonder why it wasn't someone they actually knew. Sure it might not matter much as I'm sure most of us already bought the fighter pass upfront but still. I would personally think it would be a character that both Japan and the West would know pretty well if they are trying to sell the fighter pass everywhere. Of course that hasn't stopped them before by adding Japan only favorite characters.

Unless...They were gonna do a character that is only really known in the west to balance it out like I dunno....Banjo. It would be a fair trade off.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've never really been a fan of SE games. But I do know that many SE characters top fan charts consistently. So It would be really strange to ignore all those characters to add a DQ character instead that would be basically unknown to anyone in the west. I know Japan would get a kick out of it but most of the west would just scratch their heads and wonder why it wasn't someone they actually knew. Sure it might not matter much as I'm sure most of us already bought the fighter pass upfront but still. I would personally think it would be a character that both Japan and the West would know pretty well if they are trying to sell the fighter pass everywhere. Of course that hasn't stopped them before by adding Japan only favorite characters.

Unless...They were gonna do a character that is only really known in the west to balance it out like I dunno....Banjo. It would be a fair trade off.
We already got a few characters with mostly Western appeal in the game like Ridley, so I don't think one character primarily for the domestic audience would go over that badly. But, I do get what you're saying here. DLC is a different beast so it would make sense to appeal majorly to multiple demographics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We already got a few characters with mostly Western appeal in the game like Ridley, so I don't think one character primarily for the domestic audience would go over that badly. But, I do get what you're saying here. DLC is a different beast so it would make sense to appeal majorly to multiple demographics.
Difference is that Ridley is a major first-party character regardless of popularity.
Erdrick is one of Square Enix's many third party choices.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
One could argue that those were easier additions as they were already owned by Nintendo. No need to get other companies involved. There is more money and risk involved when it comes to third party DLC to try and appease only one part of your huge smash market.

D

Deleted member

If anything the DQ heroes situation is pretty different from Marth for the reasons you gave, the heroes in DQ are practically a blank state for the player to self-insert like a classic rpg, rather than outright characters like Marth or Roy.
You say that, but as someone who at least saw their games in the entirety, Marth and Roy have as little personalities as a Dragon Quest hero but somehow they say more words. They can totally make Erdrick as unique as possible if they needed to

It's always more exciting when smash makes a whole series feel at home, especially if its gonna be for DLC. To go to the effort of getting permission to use the franchise in smash and then just to give it the bare minimum is disappointing for any franchise, especially 3rd party.
It's disappointing, but it helps to remember how Dragon Quest was on no ones radar at all until leaks so I think even getting the bare minimum for a fighter's pass would just be fine. Of course, since my Big 3 are pretty much impossible for Ultimate these days, I'm willing to take anything at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I agree with the sentiment of multiple DQ representation through one Character and many alts. Heck , my best-case scenario is that every alt will have a different protagonist.

... Call me shamlessly entitled, but my best-of-the-best case scenario would be that DQ character has the most alts in the game. Like Wario in Brawl, or Little Mac in Smash 4.

On the other hand, I'll be perfectly ok and grateful if it's just Erdrick. Just crossing my fingers they don't make him a one-tracked character like how Cloud only represents ... Swordsmanship.

I've stressed this enough, but Cloud should have had a different Down+B which involved Magic materia. Instead of an off-character self-stimulating Limit gauge. (Which I Guess references that final scene vs Sephiroth?)

But anyway... Erdrick should represent being a weapons master, and/or Magic expertise.

And for those who Say Magic is almost irrelevant to Erdrick, they clearly haven't played the game, let alone beat it as just Erdrick (no party members). :p

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I've said my piece about not thinking a Koopalings deal for Erdrick would be worth the trouble, but I sure wouldn't complain if that's what we got.

In terms of representing other games from the series... well, you could take a stage from something that's not Dragon Quest III, though that might be set in stone depending on who you believe. I like the idea of Nadiria from IV/V with a bunch of bosses from across the series showing up, but then Dracula's Castle is already sort of that, so maybe not. There's also music, spirits (if they come with the DLC) and/or an assist trophy (haha, never). Of course, I think Slimes -> King Slime would probably be the ideal DQ assist trophy, but someone like Yangus or Veronica to stand in for a different game would work too.

My embarrassing dream scenario is some kind of "it was just japes, we really do care" Square Enix-themed update with more songs and an AT for Final Fantasy, an AT for Dragon Quest, and then an AT for Chrono Trigger to tie a bow on it. Robo or Ayla or something. Beyond never happening.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
#SoraForSmashBrosUltimate

He would certainly be a better choice than a boring as hell Marth Echo Deviantart Anime Fan Drawing Swordsman (A Medieval Goku Cosplayer From Dragon Quest)!
You’re aware that Dragon Quest III came out before Fire Emblem, right?

Oh wait, you’re supposed to be a troll, well this is embarrassing.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Who's Randy Orton?
Nothing, but try to imagining someone coming -out of nowhere- claiming that sora is a -boring-as-hell- character and also a mouse puppet and (insert my cool character) is better. That's not cool bro, This is a discussion thread not a Wrestlemania of SE Reps
(Nothing against Sorabros, I'm trying to get this guy to Understand the situation )

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am personally on the "Brave isn't Erdrick" train. And it's more then likely my Geno bias talking. But I feel like if we are getting a SE rep it's going to be Geno or no one. Mostly because of all the hints of SE being terrible to work and negotiate with.

Top Bottom