• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I feel that if we go by clunkyness and unorthodox playstyle mentioned before, a member of the W101 would fit but I was also thinking of Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins the other day considering he is a projectile user that is weird in the air.
Funny you mention Arthur, given that the true ending in GnG calls him a "wise and courageour knight", and that he's incredibly small. Would fit well with Brave's stats.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
the design's aren't that different anyways so it's not like it would take a lot of time to make a Female version. The only difference is the face and hair.
Actually it'd take some time from what I understand.
Akira Toriyama would have to personally design the character as he created Erdrick's design.

D

Deleted member

Actually it'd take some time from what I understand.
Akira Toriyama would have to personally design the character as he created Erdrick's design.
It would still take less time than making a brand new character right? I mean they have Chibi Erdrick right there to base the design off of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sure, but it'd still take time.
I mean of course it would still take time, I wasn't arguing that it wouldn't. I was saying it wouldn't take A lot as in like 9+ months to design a female version of an already existing character.
Usually they'd just have to check in and see if it's alright. Give it the stamp of approval or suggest or make the edits they see fit. I know there's a little more going than the usual for dragon quest, but it shouldn't be very much time still.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Joke: 2B for Smash
Woke: Nier for Smash

It'll never happen, but let me dream.
Honestly yes. Gestalt had more impact on me than Automata did so I'd be so freaking down for Papa Nier and Grimoire Weiss duo.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Y'all should remember that Sakurai played and praised Xenoblade 2 back in early 2018, and remember how Rex's fate ended up for Smash Ultimate.

I wouldn't say Sakurai playing DQ is a favorable benefit at this point. It is worth raising a very small eyebrow on, but nothing more.
The thing that makes Dragon Quest notable isn't "Sakurai played the game and liked it." That's a weak argument. It's the fact that written about and praised the series repeatedly that sticks out, especially his comparison of Kirby to a Dragon Quest character (see: Square Enix Character argument) and roundtable discussion with Junichi Masuda and Yuji Horii, director of Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
They'd probably get fresh illustrations of Erdrick from Toriyama no matter what existing design they were leaning toward. DQ's never been shy about having him re-draw characters, even within a short span of time, and most art of Erdrick is pretty old. Plus it's a whole marketing thing; trotting out the doodles with a canned "good luck in Smash, Whoever!" statement from Toriyama is a very Dragon Quest thing to do.

If there's one series I'd want to get a Smash 4-style piece with a bunch of Smash characters in the newcomer's art style, it's DQ. I bet he'd draw a good Mario.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I've been dreaming.

Like it's the most remote chance ever but...please.
Joker was also the most remote chance when all we had to go on was that Sakurai liked the menus and the Smash Ultimate UI sort of tasted like P5.

There's hope, brother.

D

Deleted member

I'm so very tired that we're still debating the merits of DQ's inclusions as if it actually has an impact

Fellas, it's Erdrick.
Honestly I feel ya. this entire Speculation thing is getting me both Tired and Depressed seeing all of us Try and make a case against Erdrick when it absolutely is Erdrick. It's depressing and it's Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I feel ya. this entire Speculation thing is getting me both Tired and Depressed seeing all of us Try and make a case against Erdrick when it absolutely is Erdrick. It's depressing and it's Erdrick.
I mean, there's always a possibility it's not.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, there's always a possibility it's not.
Yea no after being here quite literally almost every day since the beginning of the Squenix speculation itself I'm tired of pretending there's a chance Squenix is anyone except Erdrick.

I'm happy for the Erdrick fans and I'm excited to see how Smash makes Erdrick look. I don't see why we need to pretend that for some reason things like a height stat crush Erdrick's chances.

*Insert we shouldn’t go 100% on Erdrick statement here*
You do you, Psy. I'm too tired at this point.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd like Erdrick, but I don't think anything is set in stone.

But there's a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance that it is Erdrick to the point I just can't see it being not Erdrick or any DQ rep for that matter.
Yeah he has the highest chance from what we know, but we dont know what's really gone on with nintendo and SE. We dont even know if ti's really an SE rep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yea no after being here quite literally almost every day since the beginning of the Squenix speculation itself I'm tired of pretending there's a chance Squenix is anyone except Erdrick.

I'm happy for the Erdrick fans and I'm excited to see how Smash makes Erdrick look. I don't see why we need to pretend that for some reason things like a height stat crush Erdrick's chances.

But there's a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance that it is Erdrick to the point I just can't see it being not Erdrick or any DQ rep for that matter.
Perhaps I'm just not trying to get ahead of myself I guess. I just can't bring myself to be fully convinced despite how much I'd like for it to be the case.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Like I've said, I went 100% on Shadow and it still stings. A little caution never hurt anyone.

and I've got my biggest bottles ready to pop on the remote chance that it isn't Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

I'd like Erdrick, but I don't think anything is set in stone.

Yeah he has the highest chance from what we know, but we dont know what's really gone on with nintendo and SE. We dont even know if ti's really an SE rep.
Perhaps I'm just not trying to get ahead of myself I guess. I just can't bring myself to be fully convinced despite how much I'd like for it to be the case.
Yeah I'm happy for you guys and the rest of the DQ fans if it is Erdrick (Which is Almost definitely is btw) but at this Point I'm considering either Taking a break or Jumping out of the Speculation cycle. I've been here during the entire Speculation Cycle and if there's one thing I've learned it's that no matter how much we Speculate or try and Debunk things it goes nowhere, our voices don't matter. It happened when we thought Isaac was gonna make it, Happened with Shadow, Banjo, Etc. and that also goes for the Opposite way when we tried to make a case that Inceniroar was leakbait, He wasn't. Good for you guys but for me I'm getting tired and Depressed.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I'm happy for you guys and the rest of the DQ fans if it is Erdrick (Which is Almost definitely is btw) but at this Point I'm considering either Taking a break or Jumping out of the Speculation cycle. I've been here during the entire Speculation Cycle and if there's one thing I've learned it's that no matter how much we Speculate or try and Debunk things it goes nowhere, our voices don't matter. It happened when we thought Isaac was gonna make it, Happened with Shadow, Banjo, Etc. and that also goes for the Opposite way when we tried to make a case that Inceniroar was leakbait, He wasn't. Good for you guys but for me I'm getting tired and Depressed.
If you're feeling like that then maybe that would be a good idea to step away for a bit.
But, I don't think you guys should give up. Even if it's not Ultimate it could be another game in the future.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

*sigh*

Here I go again:

Unless we get something along the lines of the Roy/Ryu leak, I’m NEVER going to be 100% on any DLC character, regardless of how many leakers are talking about them, how much speculation is surrounding them, or how much I personally want them.

Unless you can prove to me for sure that it’s Erdrick, I’m not going all in.

“Everything pointing towards Erdrick” doesn’t qualify as that.

I respect your opinion Prez, but I’m not budging unless someone proves it’s Erdrick outright.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sorry you feel that way shoto. I can tell you're feeling sad, and I know that it can make things seem like they aren't going well, but really I feel a bit inconfident in the same way about erdrick. I could be getting excited for the character and it just wont show up, just like some others. I mean I try to manage myself but some of it I can't help for now.
I'll actually be really happy if it's erdrick with the female alt, but to me it feels like it could easily not happen. That's why I try to be hype for the new characters in general, because I'm a bit tired of being disappointed. It was fine to go through up to now, but now I'm tired too.

Anyway. I hope you perk up sometime, and it can be good to take a break from things when they get you down, so if you do, take care and come back whenever you feel up to it :)
I hope something good happens that you like too :)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Joker was also the most remote chance when all we had to go on was that Sakurai liked the menus and the Smash Ultimate UI sort of tasted like P5.

There's hope, brother.
Legit if she gets in my three favorite games of all time would all be represented in Smash and that's just wild. I dare not dream because Joker alone was an impossible dream but if it happens my feet will never leave the ground.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
*sigh*

Here I go again:

Unless we get something along the lines of the Roy/Ryu leak, I’m NEVER going to be 100% on any DLC character, regardless of how many leakers are talking about them, how much speculation is surrounding them, or how much I personally want them.

Unless you can prove to me for sure that it’s Erdrick, I’m not going all in.

“Everything pointing towards Erdrick” doesn’t qualify as that.

I respect your opinion Prez, but I’m not budging unless someone proves it’s Erdrick outright.
Which is why I said you do you, Psy. I respect your angle as well even if I no longer can agree with it; hopefully you can get why lol.
It's good to never be 100%. Sometimes, for me, though, I don't really have the choice.

D

Deleted member

If you're feeling like that then maybe that would be a good idea to step away for a bit.
But, I don't think you guys should give up. Even if it's not Ultimate it could be another game in the future.
Yeah I think I'm gonna just Step back for a week or two and just Enjoy life, Play games that I've never played before. go out and get some Exercise Something to get my mind off of Speculation for a little while. It's getting stressful.
I'm sorry you feel that way shoto. I can tell you're feeling sad, and I know that it can make things seem like they aren't going well, but really I feel a bit inconfident in the same way about erdrick. I could be getting excited for the character and it just wont show up, just like some others. I mean I try to manage myself but some of it I can't help for now.
I'll actually be really happy if it's erdrick with the female alt, but to me it feels like it could easily not happen. That's why I try to be hype for the new characters in general, because I'm a bit tired of being disappointed. It was fine to go through up to now, but now I'm tired too.

Anyway. I hope you perk up sometime, and it can be good to take a break from things when they get you down, so if you do, take care and come back whenever you feel up to it :)
I hope something good happens that you like too :)
Thanks for the kind Response I appreciate it. I think it is time for me to take a break, Haven't been on Smashboards for long but I've been on Reddit mostly throughout the entire Speculation cycle and now it wore me down. I've been thinking about how Pointless it all really is in hindsight since at least two weeks ago. So for now I'm gonna take a break. See you all eventually and while if the Square rep is revealed to be Erdrick congrats to the DQ fans I may not want Erdrick but that doesn't mean I think DQ in and of itself is bad at all.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Which is why I said you do you, Psy. I respect your angle as well even if I no longer can agree with it; hopefully you can get why lol.
It's good to never be 100%. Sometimes, for me, though, I don't really have the choice.
What do you mean that you don't have the choice?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
People always deny pedigree on to this topic. Don't know what's so hard to grasp about a series being important to explain an inclusion. Rex's game was successful, sure, but it's not a genre-defining game, it's not massively praised, nor was it even a GOTY nominee. Why did Sakurai include Incineroar on the situation where Rex or Spring Man could've made it? Because Pokémon is widely-known and always successful in sales (even LGPE still sold millions, despite being one of the lower selling games in the series) and will always introduce new species for people to meet.

D

Deleted member

I'm really not going to entertain the hopeful notion that my most wanted may be in when, quite frankly, it's just gonna set me up for even more failure.
If you're not having fun speculating anymore, than by all means you can stop. Take a break, find another hobby, maybe even focus on stuff going around you. If you're coming here because you want to hear your favorite character is in Smash Bros, you need to reevaluate why you're here. It's a healthy realization too because, man, did reality crumble around me when the grinch leak was fake and Piranha Plant was revealed. XD.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If you're not having fun speculating anymore, than by all means you can stop. Take a break, find another hobby, maybe even focus on stuff going around you. If you're coming here because you want to hear your favorite character is in Smash Bros, you need to reevaluate why you're here. It's a healthy realization too because, man, did reality crumble around me when the grinch leak was fake and Piranha Plant was revealed. XD.
Nah, dude, I never came here to hear my favorite is in Smash. I came here because I love debating.
If I'm gonna be honest, Smashboards is one of the things really keeping me afloat and active right now. So I can't actually really stop. As pessimistic as I seem, this thread gives me a lot of stimulus and joy that I need just by talking to people.

D

Deleted member

This whole speculation and hype cycle is something that feels weird at times, I'm excited for the possibility of DQ in Smash as it's my most wanted thing in the game but honestly if it doesn't happen for whatever reason its not a dealbreaker and I can safely say I can still enjoy the DLC. Maybe its just me getting old but I feel that most of my favorite game characters are in the game in some form already so its hard to get depressed somehow about it.

And if I'm honest with everyone else here, I would vastly prefer that DQ games releases here in the west were less irregular as we have periods of no releases compared to something like a one of appearance in Smash. As awesome stuff like Dragon Quest Monsters 3 is something that I never got the chance to experience but never got translated.

D

Deleted member

Nah, dude, I never came here to hear my favorite is in Smash. I came here because I love debating.
If I'm gonna be honest, Smashboards is one of the things really keeping me afloat and active right now. So I can't actually really stop. As pessimistic as I seem, this thread gives me a lot of stimulus and joy that I need just by talking to people.
Then give it time and a bit of patience. Right now, we're just finding anything new to discuss with the info so just wait for more info if you can't think of anything to talk about.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm really not going to entertain the hopeful notion that my most wanted may be in when, quite frankly, it's just gonna set me up for even more failure.
Oh, I thought you meant you had trouble not diving 100% into believing that something would happen, like a character getting in.

Well as long as youre enjoying yourself in some way ;)
I think speculation can be fun of itself. And also being hopeful can feel good too, depending on how we do it.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
People always deny pedigree on to this topic. Don't know what's so hard to grasp about a series being important to explain an inclusion. Rex's game was successful, sure, but it's not a genre-defining game, it's not massively praised, nor was it even a GOTY nominee. Why did Sakurai include Incineroar on the situation where Rex or Spring Man could've made it? Because Pokémon is widely-known and always successful in sales (even LGPE still sold millions, despite being one of the lower selling games in the series) and will always introduce new species for people to meet.
I can’t necessarily speak for all the somewhat skeptical people...

But for me, I do agree that DQ is a huge series and one that does deserve to get some representation in Smash.

I do not, in any way, doubt its pedigree.

However, the reason why I’m still skeptical is because there’s simply isn’t enough evidence that outright proves, without a shadow of a doubt, that Erdrick is going to be DLC.

It’s as simple as that.

It has NOTHING to do with the series itself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe its just me getting old but I feel that most of my favorite game characters are in the game in some form already so its hard to get depressed somehow about it.
Oh man. I still remember back in the day when Sonic was like the biggest thing ever to be revealed. I just woke up one morning, my brother called me over to his computer, and there he was. Not forgetting Toon Link, Olimar, Meta Knight, Wario, Diddy Kong, geez! All characters I grew up around. Let's not forget about Villager, Megaman, King K. Rool with the DK 64 tower.

As my knowledge of video games increase, though, it is hard for me to forget that not everyone I want in Smash is going to get in for one reason or another. XD. I know so many franchises and characters now that I need to sort it all out mentally via discussion. Really, Smash Bros can only go up at this point because I know so much (but not enough)

But for me, I do agree that DQ is a huge series and one that does deserve to get some representation in Smash.

However, the reason why I’m still skeptical is because there’s simply isn’t enough evidence that outright proves, without a shadow of a doubt, that Erdrick is going to be DLC.

It’s as simple as that.

Pretty much. We've proved the possibility that Dragon Quest can be represented. It's just a matter of waiting.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

It’s as simple as that.

Well, the comment wasn't directed at you, it was on the context of Sakurai praising a game, and not so much on denying Erdrick. And yes, I do know skeptics have their own reasons to not see Erdrick happening. What I meant, is that Rex not appearing despite the director's praise isn't a big argument, considering Street Fighter and Final Fantasy both made it because of their impact on gaming, which is probably why they'd go with Dragon Quest in the case it happened.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
TBH It's 50/50 for me between speculating a DQ character in smash, and just talking about the series. Sometimes I get so immersed in talking about the series, I forget about the Smash part.

We've also gotten a few conversation twists like when we got into a Chrono Trigger appraisal moment.

Btw we're all sleeping on Chrono Cross. By now, not being on Nintendo Systems is a minor technicality. So, Lynx Mii costume pls.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Same with Ace Attorney and Phoenix Wright. The game is far from over for whoever can get in.
This brings up a point i want to bring up since everyone is acting Doom and Gloom when we're discussing the possibility of it not being Erdrick.

This is how actually Smash speculation is supposed to be.

Guys, it's supposed to be fun. If you're upset that we're mentioning the possibilities of a character that isn't who you were spoonfed to believe it is, then that's on you.

This is why I have my bottle popping ready for if it isn't Erdrick. Nothing against him or DQ, no matter how aggressively indifferent I am towards the series, but it's more that I want leakers to be wrong. Leaks are useless to me. I don't care. I don't care about anyone's "credibility". I'd rather have fun being wrong than to confine myself to delegating something that Internet Man said as gospel.

I'm more interested in the spark of hope that little Timmy here can get his Phoenix Wright or the glimmer of light that I've given you in regards to 2B.

It's more fun this way.

Top Bottom