• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Whatever Square Enix character we get, if any, I'm starting to want a SE series grab-bag of music rather than stuff from any particular series. Anything they can get the rights for, throw it in there. FF, DQ, Mana, Chrono, Bravely, Octopath, Xenogears, ActRaiser, whatever.

DQ's music has this unique, classical sound to it that I happen to really enjoy. Sure, it's not everybody's thing, but feel free to check some of these out if you're interested.
I've always thought Dragon Quest IX's soundtrack was badly underrated, although I'm lukewarm on the actual game. The Observatory and Stella's Theme capture the two sides of DQ's coin pretty well (upbeat and goofy, but surprisingly solemn sometimes), and it secretly has the best final boss theme in the series.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Okay with all this Talk of Chrono Trigger I want to ask a question if I may, After finishing up Mother 3 Should I play Chrono Trigger? Is it like a good game worth playing? What's good about it?
Hella late, but you can’t go wrong with Chrono Trigger. It truly surpasses the hype.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm surprised the thread hasnt been talking more about how Sakurai has been playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 :)

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...sh-bros-ultimate-creating-entertainment-more/
I still can't get past how adorable yout avatar is.

But yeah, Sakurai seems to like DQ very much, and is now obsessed with Builders 2.

Erdrick, leaks, and rumors aside, I think DQ has to be the Holy Grail of unrepresented game series in Smash for him. And I want to feel confident that as his days of developing Smash games may come to an end (let's hope not), he might want to make DQ in Smash happen.

I mean, he likes it. His whole country adores it. It's been giving Nintendo a lot of love since the very beginning, and it's been supporting the Switch a lot. SE is supposedly giving it their all to make XI a success in the west.... So why wouldn't Nintendo push the series through Smash?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Random question cause why not, Who out of the seven Square Choices would bring the Best Music
Easily Sephiroth and Sora. FFVII's soundtrack is a treasure to behold with countless songs missing. And Kingdom Hearts houses an amazing array of music, some of Shimomura's best.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
What if Brave is not Erdrick, but we still get Erdrick down the line. TBH all the factors around Brave is such a mess, all we know is it is...someone.

I swear it is gonna end up being someone not SE related at all and we all are gonna be smeckledorfed.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
What if Brave is not Erdrick, but we still get Erdrick down the line. TBH all the factors around Brave is such a mess, all we know is it is...someone.

I swear it is gonna end up being someone not SE related at all and we all are gonna be smeckledorfed.
I've been calling that for quite some time.

Xigger

Smash Lord

When it comes to the DLC, all of our insider info and leaks have been wrong. Who else remembers "Square will be the first DLC character?" Sure, the Joker reveal was a last-minute decision, but it was still enough to show that the leaks are flat-out wrong or outdated. Bold move, Sakurai.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

But yeah, Sakurai seems to like DQ very much, and is now obsessed with Builders 2.

Erdrick, leaks, and rumors aside, I think DQ has to be the Holy Grail of unrepresented game series in Smash for him. And I want to feel confident that as his days of developing Smash games may come to an end (let's hope not), he might want to make DQ in Smash happen.

I mean, he likes it. His whole country adores it. It's been giving Nintendo a lot of love since the very beginning, and it's been supporting the Switch a lot. SE is supposedly giving it their all to make XI a success in the west.... So why wouldn't Nintendo push the series through Smash?
aw thanks. Yeah I think that makes, it's a pretty big series. and If they could get slime in some other nintendo games, I think there really shouldn't be too much of a problem for it. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for dragon quest to be dlc. Not erdrick per se, but that's a strong contender :)

Strange things can happen tho, and nintendo isn't always making the decisions we'd think, so I'm prepared that it doesn't happen.
I'd rather a main hero be a rep, but that's not guaranteed either. There's even the idea that it could be the DQbuilder character, but hopefully not (in my tastes right now anyway)

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Yeah I think seeing how much he loved the Persona series and now getting Joker in, I think the fact that Dragon Quest is another game he seems to mention frequently as one of his favorites I think a Dragon Quest rep seems pretty likely.

D

Deleted member

I'm late to this too, but, for music, SMRPG:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

But just cause Sakurai likes something that doesn't mean they're in or even more likely, Geno for example. Sakurai Likes Geno but look at the predicament He's in.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
But just cause Sakurai likes something that doesn't mean they're in or even more likely, Geno for example. Sakurai Likes Geno but look at the predicament He's in.
I think the difference is that Sakurai has only once (to my knowledge) mentioned liking Geno as a character where he has many times mentioned liking both Persona and Dragon Quest games.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the difference is that Sakurai has only once (to my knowledge) mentioned liking Geno as a character where he has many times mentioned liking both Persona and Dragon Quest games.
But Geno has actually gotten things in Smash, so it's a weird balance.

D

Deleted member

That may be true (I can't remember how many times Sakurai Mentioned Geno) but he doesn't even act biased towards Kirby, which Sakurai himself made. There hasn't been a new Kirby rep since Brawl that's two games ago and even then Sakurai has mentioned once if I'm not mistaken about how he tries to be unbiased when choosing reps.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

BECAUSE SQUARE ENIX IS WORSE THAN EA, BETHESDA, AND UBISOFT COMBINED AND ARE BURNING DOWN ENTIRE INNOCENT NEIGHBORHOODS AND ****** AND PILLAGING AND CLUBBING BABY SEALS AND HOLDING GENO, SORA, CHRONO, AND LARA CROFT CAPTIVE AND ALMOST CUT CLOUD TO SHILL DRAGON QUEST TO THE WEST AGAIN AND THE COMPOSER IS LITERALLY WORSE THAN SATAN AND ERDRICK ****ED MY WIFE AND THEY TOOK THE KIDS PLEASE KAREN I JUST WANT TO SEE THEM ONE MORE TIME

That's all satire by the way. I acknowledge that there's serious arguments against Dragon Quest, but some of you actually sound like this sometimes.

Being serious, I do agree that Dragon Quest is the largest series yet unrepresented in Smash Bros., and I would say it certainly qualifies as one of the "globally popular third party series" that Sakurai talked about in the Nintendo Dream DLC Interview.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
BECAUSE SQUARE ENIX IS WORSE THAN EA, BETHESDA, AND UBISOFT COMBINED AND ARE BURNING DOWN ENTIRE INNOCENT NEIGHBORHOODS AND ****** AND PILLAGING AND CLUBBING BABY SEALS AND HOLDING GENO, SORA, CHRONO, AND LARA CROFT CAPTIVE AND ALMOST CUT CLOUD TO SHILL DRAGON QUEST TO THE WEST AGAIN AND THE COMPOSER IS LITERALLY WORSE THAN SATAN AND ERDRICK ****ED MY WIFE AND THEY TOOK THE KIDS PLEASE KAREN I JUST WANT TO SEE THEM ONE MORE TIME

That's all satire by the way. I acknowledge that there's serious arguments against Dragon Quest, but some of you actually sound like this sometimes. Being serious, I do agree that Dragon Quest is the largest series yet unrepresented in Smash Bros., and I would say it certainly qualifies as one of the "globally popular third party series" that Sakurai talked about in the Nintendo Dream DLC Interview.
Square Enix poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and delivered a plague onto our houses!

Okay, no they haven't, BUT ARE WE GOING TO SIT AROUND UNTIL THEY DO?!?!

D

Deleted member

That's all satire by the way. I acknowledge that there's serious arguments against Dragon Quest, but some of you actually sound like this sometimes. Being serious, I do agree that Dragon Quest is the largest series yet unrepresented in Smash Bros., and I would say it certainly qualifies as one of the "globally popular third party series" that Sakurai talked about in the Nintendo Dream DLC Interview.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU. SAKURAI IS TRYING TO BRING DRAGON QUEST TO SMASH TO INFLUENCE US INTO BELIEVING THE COMPOSER OF THE SERIES IS RIGHT I'M TELL YOU GUYS BELIEVE ME THE COMPOSER IS WORSE THAN HITLER AND SATAN COMBINED. WE CAN'T SIT AROUND AND DO NOTHING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH /s

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
But Geno has actually gotten things in Smash, so it's a weird balance.
Agreed but Geno again skirts the lines between 1st and 3rd party so getting stuff in Smash could be different than getting Dragon Quest or Persona stuff in (in previous games) when they didn't really have a reason to (no fighter).

That may be true (I can't remember how many times Sakurai Mentioned Geno) but he doesn't even act biased towards Kirby, which Sakurai himself made. There hasn't been a new Kirby rep since Brawl that's two games ago and even then Sakurai has mentioned once if I'm not mistaken about how he tries to be unbiased when choosing reps.
I think many Kirby fans believe that to be a case of Sakurai actually not really liking the direction modern Kirby took and sees it as different than his vision for the series, leading to the lack of modern Kirby content. I'm not saying Persona or Dragon Quest are getting in because he pushed for them but if Nintendo handed him a list and they were on it I'd bet good money he picked them.

D

Deleted member

Agreed but Geno again skirts the lines between 1st and 3rd party so getting stuff in Smash could be different than getting Dragon Quest or Persona stuff in (in previous games) when they didn't really have a reason to (no fighter).

I think many Kirby fans believe that to be a case of Sakurai actually not really liking the direction modern Kirby took and sees it as different than his vision for the series, leading to the lack of modern Kirby content. I'm not saying Persona or Dragon Quest are getting in because he pushed for them but if Nintendo handed him a list and they were on it I'd bet good money he picked them.
Is there any evidence that he dislikes the direction of modern Kirby? Cause that just sounds like a bunch of Conspiracy talk.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sakurai has mentioned Geno once when discussing the different DLC mii costumes; Geno wasn't even the focus of the interview.

Conversely, Sakurai has mentioned Persona twice, praising it's UI (which shows in Ultimate) and talking about the great experience he had at the Persona Super-Live P Sound Bomb!!!!! 2017 (I think he talked about Persona 3 once, and how long it was). He's mentioned Dragon Quest countless times (most of which are referenced in my Ultimate Square Enix character argument if you wish to reference that).
Is there any evidence that he dislikes the direction of modern Kirby? Cause that just sounds like a bunch of Conspiracy talk.
It's more anecdotal evidence, given that Sakurai rarely references the modern games in playable form. The most recent Kirby game represented is Return to Dreamland from the Wii, which is referenced by Kirby's Final Smash.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think on top of what DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon said there is a quote floating around about how he had some pretty strong feelings about the Kirby cartoon and made demands about not using certain characters, which would suggest he has a pretty clear view of what should or shouldn't be in Kirby media.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sakurai is or has ever been the obstacle. In Dragon Quest's case, I don't think Horii, Toriyama or Sugiyama are significant roadblocks either. The issue is Square Enix's apathy, or fickleness, whatever you prefer. It still seems hard to believe that they'd spring for another character when their #1 guy only got the bare minimum. They just don't seem to care much.

Of course, with DQ or Bravely or Geno, Nintendo has its own stake, so I could see those happening for that reason, but it still seems really weird. Every time I start to get too optimistic, Cloud and his two songs loom in the back of my mind.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai has mentioned Geno once when discussing the different DLC mii costumes; Geno wasn't even the focus of the interview.

Conversely, Sakurai has mentioned Persona twice, praising it's UI (which shows in Ultimate) and talking about the great experience he had at the Persona Super-Live P Sound Bomb!!!!! 2017 (I think he talked about Persona 3 once, and how long it was). He's mentioned Dragon Quest countless times (most of which are referenced in my Ultimate Square Enix character argument if you wish to reference that).

It's more anecdotal evidence, given that Sakurai rarely references the modern games in playable form. The most recent Kirby game represented is Return to Dreamland from the Wii, which is referenced by Kirby's Final Smash.
I'll admit, looking through your post with evidence of Sakurai talking about DQ that I was wrong. He really likes the series. Still personally believe that there's a cut-off for Liking characters or franchises =/= character being added, but you can't compare Sakurai mentioning Geno once to how in love with DQ Sakurai seems to be.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
D

Deleted member

I think on top of what DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon said there is a quote floating around about how he had some pretty strong feelings about the Kirby cartoon and made demands about not using certain characters, which would suggest he has a pretty clear view of what should or shouldn't be in Kirby media.
Dont know much about Sakurai thoughts on the Anime.

The apathy from Sakurai towards modern Kirby reminds me a bit from what I read about the Mario Land Team at Nintendo and why they ended up developing Wario Land.

Its not really dislike but a lot of the developers dont seem to have a strong attachment to characters/games they didn't create. The Wario Land team didn't like working on the Mario series and ended liking Wario a lot so he became their focus after his introduction in Mario Land 2.

D

Deleted member

I think people are also forgetting that Sakurai has stated he likes castlevania too. He mentioned it as a game that really influenced him growing up, and here’s a column where he talks about AoS https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/02/16/if-you-had-fun-you-won/

This would support DQ, considering he’s talked about X and builders and has even interviewed people involved in the series. Would also explain the amount of castlevania content in smash.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Hmm, all the more neat that he's talked up a good game about Ace Attorney too then. Interesting. Akin to DQ, he has met with the creator of Phoenix Wright in 2016 as he did with Hori in 2016.

D

Deleted member

What other games has Sakurai mentioned loving multiple times that are not represented in Smash?

Untouch

Smash Master
oh my god i literally saw somebody using Rex against this, different situation.
also i should save up for Builders
Err if anything Rex would help this since Sakurai pretty explicitly stated that he wanted Rex in but he was revealed too late...?

D

Deleted member

Okay, I'm gonna try and play DQ one more time as the first one was not for me whatsoever. What DQ game should I play? mind you I can't play any of the ones for 3ds, IOS/Android (Unless there's alternative versions for the IOS/Android games) or Playstation.

D

Deleted member

Just imagine if we do get a DQ character and to everyone's surprise we get like 20 songs.
Really he's only stingy over orchestral music, we would just be getting midis. It's not ideal but it's better than two.
Okay, I'm gonna try and play DQ one more time as the first one was not for me whatsoever. What DQ game should I play? mind you I can't play any of the ones for 3ds, IOS/Android (Unless there's alternative versions for the IOS/Android games) or Playstation.
Going from your experience that you posted in the Geno thread I would recommend DQ5 on DS. Fantastic story with it's own unique gameplay mechanic, you can capture monsters and use them as party members.

D

Deleted member

Really he's only stingy over orchestral music, we would just be getting midis. It's not ideal but it's better than two.

Going from your experience that you posted in the Geno thread I would recommend DQ5 on DS. Fantastic story with it's own unique gameplay mechanic, you can capture monsters and use them as party members.
Thanks for the Response Liquidmetal!

Teeb147

Smash Legend

If you like class systems then III, VI or VII. I love class systems so I just have to at least mention it :)

III might be a 'bit' too retro, but then you'd get to know erdrick. Personally I'd recommend a later one just because of that. Depends what you like.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love that this list is getting fans to try each other's favorite games and expand their horizons. Before this thread DQ was the only series I hadn't tried on the list and now that I've played a few it's amazing to see how it's influenced things I have played and enjoyed like GameCenter CX or RPG Maker 2.

It's nice that generally speaking most people understand the strength that each choice can bring to Smash.

Also, saw people talking Chrono Trigger earlier! Wonderful! That game is just so good. I'd adore Crono in Smash and it has hands down one of the best soundtracks of all time. Absolutely classic. Play it if you haven't. It just works on every single level.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
That would kind of feel like a kick in the teeth, as a Final Fantasy fan.
I'd say as a final fantasy fan at least your songs sound good we ain't getting orchestral versions where getting midis that vary in quality and @ShotoStar 5 is a great place to start but also give 8 a look also a good place in my opinion and i think one that's catered to the west a little other then 11

Looma

Smash Journeyman
(Since everyone's recommending SE games, I feel inclined to plug The World Ends With You despite it not being on this list)

Also the music thing unfortunately gives me pause on most of Square's catalogue. I'd love to see Crono in the game among others (Neku pls), but I still barely even feel Cloud's presence with how little of it there is. Final Fantasy is technically there, but it sure doesn't feel like it. What's even the point if they're not allowed to bring all these great tunes with them? That's half the fun of getting into Smash!

Top Bottom