• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-Coco-

Smash Ace
The height could easily be a placeholder as well especially since we don't even have the model. Anything could happen.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Sorry I'm late on this but… music wise? Chrono Trigger baby.
But that was super hard because I'm in love with Yoko's music so Sora would also be great and of course more FFVII goodness would be awesome too…

D

Deleted member

Yeh I love DQ but it's not the greatest for music if it gets in. Not saying the music is bad, it's just some of the other SE games' music are almost masterpieces.
I'm playing through XI right now and loving it in regards to story and gameplay but gooooooddamn the soundtrack is just awful imo. I dunno what any of the other games in the series are like music wise but I was very unimpressed with this one. There are some gems though like I really enjoy the main theme but that's about it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm playing through XI right now and loving it in regards to story and gameplay but gooooooddamn the soundtrack is just awful imo. I dunno what any of the other games in the series are like music wise but I was very unimpressed with this one. There are some gems though like I really enjoy the main theme but that's about it.
A lot of DQXI's themes are reused from older games. Of the ones that are new, I really enjoy Ole Sylvando, Serena's Harp and the Cetacea theme. My opinion of DQ music is that the Sound tracks are not super amazing as a whole, but when it puts out a good song, it's really damn good.

GeorgeMV

Smash Rookie
Sorry I'm late on this but… music wise? Chrono Trigger baby.
But that was super hard because I'm in love with Yoko's music so Sora would also be great and of course more FFVII goodness would be awesome too…
Oh man i would love to hear some Smash Bros Style Remixes of the Chrono Trigger Soundtrack.
Even the fan covers are awesome:

D

Deleted member

A lot of DQXI's themes are reused from older games. Of the ones that are new, I really enjoy Ole Sylvando, Serena's Harp and the Cetacea theme. My opinion of DQ music is that the Sound tracks are not super amazing as a whole, but when it puts out a good song, it's really damn good.
Interesting. Serena's little harp jingle is also quite lovely. I've played a ton of SE games over the years and this is honestly my first DQ game I'm dabbling in. I guess I was just expecting something more considering DQ is one of their flagship franchises and was just left feeling a little disappointed. Is this all done by the same composer that's apparently really intolerant to LGBT folk? I haven't looked too deep into that specifically so I'm still a little ignorant on that subject.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Speaking about Crono
Here's mine.

Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever made, and in my wishlist I'd somehow have Cloud, Erdrick, Crono, and 2B all playable in Smash somehow, the former 3 for representing old Square Enix plus their legendary union project, the latter because it's a character from their newest masterpiece from the modern age (Geno and Mallow too but I count them as Mario characters when you put the rights issues aside).

...Man, Sega got 3 completely unique characters, I wonder if any company will ever get to 4, let alone stingy ol' Square Enix lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay with all this Talk of Chrono Trigger I want to ask a question if I may, After finishing up Mother 3 Should I play Chrono Trigger? Is it like a good game worth playing? What's good about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Interesting. Serena's little harp jingle is also quite lovely. I've played a ton of SE games over the years and this is honestly my first DQ game I'm dabbling in. I guess I was just expecting something more considering DQ is one of their flagship franchises and was just left feeling a little disappointed. Is this all done by the same composer that's apparently really intolerant to LGBT folk? I haven't looked too deep into that specifically so I'm still a little ignorant on that subject.
It's all the same guy. DQXI was sold as a love letter to the older DQ games. Which is why it reuses a lot of music (Might also have to do with the guy being old as ****). Truth be told, I think a lot of the older versions sound better. (Though I do enjoy several of the DQ3 songs in XI).

D

Deleted member

Okay with all this Talk of Chrono Trigger I want to ask a question if I may, After finishing up Mother 3 Should I play Chrono Trigger? Is it like a good game worth playing? What's good about it?
Its pretty much one if not the best SNES RPG and one in top 5 of all the time in my book, great music, characters, twists, just cant describe it.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Most of DQ's soundtracks are pretty good, though you have to enjoy that traditional orchestra style, and of course they usually sound much better in live recordings. They do all pretty much suffer from not having enough songs for how long the games are.

I'd say XI's the first game in the series where the original compositions are... not all bad, but you can really tell Sugiyama's 90 years old. Nobody can keep it up for that long and still be all there. It really doesn't help that the overworld theme is used so often and it's probably the worst track in the game, from a composer who's done a couple of all-time great overworld themes. It's unfortunate.

I learned recently that Manami Matsumae did the soundtrack to Dragon Quest Swords, and she does a pretty good facsimile of Sugiyama's style. I imagine his understudy will tag in for him once he retires or dies in the saddle, but it'd be fun to see Mega Man 1's composer take over Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Mother 3 is incredible, glad you're playing it!

Yes, Chrono Trigger is amazing. As for what's good about it, well, everything frankly.

The battle system is like Final Fantasy 4's since it has the system where turns are determined by a bar that fills up in real-time, but it adds combination attacks to the mix depending on who's in your party, which makes it fun to swap party members in and out.

All the party members are super well-written and have arcs that last the whole game.

The music is phenomenal, one of the best soundtracks of all time, which is amazing considering it was Yasunori Mitsuda's first work (he previously worked on sound effects), and also considering that the few tracks that Nobuo Uematsu contributed somehow pale in comparison. That's how good it is, a legendary composer's music isn't quite as good as Yasunori Mitsuda's.

The graphics remain beautiful examples of some of the best sprite art in video game history, just look at the kitchen in the house you start the game in.

The pacing is phenomenal, nothing ever goes on for too long or too short, so you're always wanting to play to see what happens next.

Finally, the story is about time travel, one of the coolest concepts ever, and it handles it extremely well.

The best ways to play it are either the SNES original or the DS port. I think the Steam version was fixed? I dunno, it was baaad when it launched.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ooooh, you're playing Mother 3?

You are going to love the rest of it.

And yeah, you should play CT after you finish Mother 3. I haven't played it yet, but I will eventually, and it was very well received

D

Deleted member

It's all the same guy. DQXI was sold as a love letter to the older DQ games. Which is why it reuses a lot of music (Might also have to do with the guy being old as ****). Truth be told, I think a lot of the older versions sound better. (Though I do enjoy several of the DQ3 songs in XI).
I see I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's pretty cool to see people talking about all these different SE games and things. It's such a cool realm.

For me DQ's music was never really a focus. It's alright. That's about it. It's just that the series is practically genre defining from its time, and it just especially hit hard in japan,.. that they would even have holidays for DQ. And I think it really kept and grew a lighter style, it's just fun. That's my take anyway.

What I'm surprised about is that Square Enix kept the same composer even after Enix was absorbed into Square. I felt like Square had higher standards for music.. but maybe it kept its bones because of copyrights or something else, I dont really know the full story, but I still love how the series continued and evolved.. :)

Last edited:

GeorgeMV

Smash Rookie
For me personally I loved the characters so much in the game, you really get to love each one of them, the battle system feels really good even if you dont get it at first you will learn it without a problem and to conclude the story its one of my favorites of all time just like the soundtrack its something that will stick with you for many years.
I recommed you the Ds version its really the best one in my opinion.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's pretty cool to see people talking about all these different SE games and things. It's such a cool realm.

For me DQ's music was never really a focus. It's alright. That's about it. It's just that the series is practically genre defining from its time, and it just especially hit hard in japan,.. that they would even have holidays for DQ. And I think it really kept and grew a lighter style, it's just fun. That's my take anyway.

What I'm surprised about is that Square Enix kept the same composer even after Enix was absorbed into Square. I felt like Square had higher standards for music.. but maybe it kept its bones because of copyrights or something else, I dont really know the full story, but I still love how the series continued and evolved.. :)
It's likely that they wanted to keep DQ as this massive collaboration project. Sugiyama was like the Japanese John Williams in his prime.

D

Deleted member

Yes

Yes

Yes
Yes

Its pretty much one if not the best SNES RPG and one in top 5 of all the time in my book, great music, characters, twists, just cant describe it.
Thanks for the Response, Appreciate it! I'm heavily considering playing it now after all the positive Responses about the game. What Sparked my curiosity is everybody saying it's one of the best RPG's on the SNES if not one of the best Ever. Plus from what I've seen in this thread the Music is apparently good. and I haven't accidentally Spoiled anything about the game unlike Mother 3 so I'd be going into the game with a free of Spoilers which all things considered is a hard thing to do in this day and age.

Mother 3 is incredible, glad you're playing it!

Yes, Chrono Trigger is amazing. As for what's good about it, well, everything frankly.

The battle system is like Final Fantasy 4's since it has the system where turns are determined by a bar that fills up in real-time, but it adds combination attacks to the mix depending on who's in your party, which makes it fun to swap party members in and out.

All the party members are super well-written and have arcs that last the whole game.

The music is phenomenal, one of the best soundtracks of all time, which is amazing considering it was Yasunori Mitsuda's first work (he previously worked on sound effects), and also considering that the few tracks that Nobuo Uematsu contributed somehow pale in comparison. That's how good it is, a legendary composer's music isn't quite as good as Yasunori Mitsuda's.

The graphics remain beautiful examples of some of the best sprite art in video game history, just look at the kitchen in the house you start the game in.

The pacing is phenomenal, nothing ever goes on for too long or too short, so you're always wanting to play to see what happens next.

Finally, the story is about time travel, one of the coolest concepts ever, and it handles it extremely well.

The best ways to play it are either the SNES original or the DS port. I think the Steam version was fixed? I dunno, it was baaad when it launched.
Nice! Thanks for the Response! I've constantly heard good things about it for years and still haven't gotten around to playing it but now I'll probably end up trying it at least.

Ooooh, you're playing Mother 3?

You are going to love the rest of it.

And yeah, you should play CT after you finish Mother 3. I haven't played it yet, but I will eventually, and it was very well received
Side note off topic of Chrono trigger for a second. Mother 3 is SO FREAKING GOOOOOOOOOOD! The Music, The Characters, The Story Everything is SO. FREAKING. GOOD. I love it, I freaking adore Mother 3 so far. Duster is my freakin' dude! Probably my favorite character so far.

D

Deleted member

Yes

Thanks for the Response, Appreciate it! I'm heavily considering playing it now after all the positive Responses about the game. What Sparked my curiosity is everybody saying it's one of the best RPG's on the SNES if not one of the best Ever. Plus from what I've seen in this thread the Music is apparently good. and I haven't accidentally Spoiled anything about the game unlike Mother 3 so I'd be going into the game with a free of Spoilers which all things considered is a hard thing to do in this day and age.

Nice! Thanks for the Response! I've constantly heard good things about it for years and still haven't gotten around to playing it but now I'll probably end up trying it at least.

Side note off topic of Chrono trigger for a second. Mother 3 is SO FREAKING GOOOOOOOOOOD! The Music, The Characters, The Story Everything is SO. FREAKING. GOOD. I love it, I freaking adore Mother 3 so far. Duster is my freakin' dude! Probably my favorite character so far.
It REALLY is.

Which is why
they need
to localize it

Duster is awesome too

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes

Well, as far as classics go, Chrono Trigger is a legend. Some stuff in it is dated, with how far rpgs have come all these years. But you know what, the quality of the detail they put in the game still shines even now. And compared to random encounter battles, it was awesome to feel like each battle had purpose, and there's more too, but if someone likes traditional rpgs, it's still one of the best. Mario RPG kind of fits a lot of that in the same way too... but great for the humor instead of the serious story (kinda simple but really good one).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel ya. I personally don't let the music ruin a game for me either. Like I said before, loving the gameplay and the story. I've always felt that a good soundtrack is a very integral part to making a good RPG considering a lot I've played have fantastic eargasming tunes. I'm a music guy though. When grinding and leveling up I just mute my TV and throw on a record or something.

All in all DQXI gets a thumbs up from me!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Another thing about CT that people seem to have overlooked, maybe it's not a big deal, but it definitely makes the combat deeper.

How your characters are aligned with the enemy change just how effective some tech skills/magic can be.

For example, there's a type of attack you can do that goes in a straight line. And you choose which opponent to aim it to. Since the enemies are scattered throughout the screen, you have to take advantage when they are randomly aligned so that your attack hits all of them. (There's also attacks in circular areas, where you take out enemies around you, etc).

So yeah. It's most definitely a game that feels like it was ahead of its time.

Reading all this praise and love for Chrono Trigger is making me ultra nostalgic rn. It was a big part of my childhood, my brother and I played the hell out of it, we're still making CT references to each other even to this day. Words cannot describe how much i love this game.

And since we're on the subject I'll take the opportunity to share this here (a wonderful orchestrated medley by l'Orchestre de Jeux Video):

Also Shishœ... you're missing the thread's hommage to CT.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Alright, super mad crazy theory time.
What if "Brave" is Quote from Cave Story?
The size checks out, zoner ability checks out, aerial speed could be because of the Booster, and as for the codename, Brave rhymes with Cave, so he's obviously the one /s

Seriously though I'd love Quote haha

Xigger

Smash Lord
All this amazing Chrono Trigger music is making me sad that I never had high hopes for Crono... Now I want a Bowser Jr. style character with Erdrick/Crono/Sora/Sephiroth, and that's saying something with a signature of 6 Geno icons.

D

Deleted member

Reading all this praise and love for Chrono Trigger is making me ultra nostalgic rn. It was a big part of my childhood, my brother and I played the hell out of it, we're still making CT references to each other even to this day. Words cannot describe how much i love this game.

And since we're on the subject I'll take the opportunity to share this here (a wonderful orchestrated medley by l'Orchestre de Jeux Video):

Also Shishœ... you're missing the thread's hommage to CT.
I have awakened in answer to this thread's call.
Play Chrono Trigger.
Frog is best boy.
Listen to RoboRoll

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Also not sure if this has been posted yet but I saw this a few days ago.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/446700965/#q446700965
Obviously fake, but I actually like the moveset idea it proposes here. Maybe a bit difficult to manage, but it sound like it could be interesting.
Hey hopefully it's okay to bring this back up after everyone moved on to music, but personally I'm not really a fan of a character have a self-heal that they can trigger on demand. Requiring you to do something challenging (catch a projectile, hit a close range grab) to trigger it makes it a risk/reward thing. If I can just run away and heal up that's a whole different thing.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Hey hopefully it's okay to bring this back up after everyone moved on to music, but personally I'm not really a fan of a character have a self-heal that they can trigger on demand. Requiring you to do something challenging (catch a projectile, hit a close range grab) to trigger it makes it a risk/reward thing. If I can just run away and heal up that's a whole different thing.
If we're using this concept, just make it have a huge MP cost and a long casting time that can be easily interrupted.

There's already an example of something like that in the game with Wii Fit's Deep Breathing

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
If we're using this concept, just make it have a huge MP cost and a long casting time that can be easily interrupted.

There's already an example of something like that in the game with Wii Fit's Deep Breathing
I always forget WFT has that skill, yeah I could see that working. Still wouldn't be my preference though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yes! I'm all in for a menu popping up where you can choose the Magic to cast. I wouldn't care that it takes up 2 Special buttons if the Magic is diverse enough.
And it consuming MP would be the obvious limitation.

Not saying I believe this random piggyback leak post, but yes I would love an MP and Magic menu mechanic.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Alright, super mad crazy theory time.
What if "Brave" is Quote from Cave Story?
The size checks out, zoner ability checks out, aerial speed could be because of the Booster, and as for the codename, Brave rhymes with Cave, so he's obviously the one /s

Seriously though I'd love Quote haha
As someone that played Cave Story multiple times during his childhood and supported Quote to be in Smash ever since Brawl, I'd love this. He also would've been the best pick for an Indie Rep, with Cave Story being quite popular in Japan and being considered the father of indie games.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
About the whole music topic, I've been seeing some underselling of DQ in that department. I just thought I'd jump in and post some great DQ music to show that the series does in fact have some amazing tracks:

The Ocean

Lively Village

Days of Sadness

Memories of a Lost World

Town Square Banquet

Mysterious Tower

A Quiet Village

Homeland

DQ's music has this unique, classical sound to it that I happen to really enjoy. Sure, it's not everybody's thing, but feel free to check some of these out if you're interested.

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Man, i haven't posted in a while. Things sure got...uh...interesting to say the least.

Also, so many people talking about Chrono Trigger and its music makes me happy :)

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Well now I want to try Chrono Trigger too, if just for the music. So many games, so little time.

Top Bottom