• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Joke is on everyone and Sega pulls this dude

Last edited by a moderator:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I really hope Brave is someone who's completely unaffiliated with Square at this point. A friend of mine proposed it being Arthur from Ghosts n Goblins.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don’t see Smash helping Dragon Quest gaining too much popularity in the West; there’ll definitely be some new fans, but it won’t ever become as big as Final Fantasy unless they really change the formula. The series has been out in the West for a while & has remained niche; its not like Fire Emblem which never had a Western release prior to Melee.
DQ is not going to change fórmula. Otherwise, it will just be copying FF and just be another action-RPG from the many already out there.

Not sure what's wrong with keeping it traditional. Pokémon is traditional. Sure they add at least one new feature every game. But so does DQ.
1: Basic gameplay
2: Party members
3: Classes
4: Wagon System
5: Monster recruiting
6: Improved class System
7: Perfected class System
8: Tension System & weapon+Natural skills, Alchemy Pot (3DS marrying System)
9: CaC for Hero and party members. & Something similar to Limit Break.
10: MMO
11: Combination skills. You can run over opponents on the field if you ride a horse.

Also... Hasn't Fire Emblem stuck to traditional gameplay as well?

Meanwhile, the majority of the west is wanting characters only they know about in Smash completely ignoring Japan's reaction to them. What a sad world we live in.
I can testify to this.
I was searching Japanese forums for the topic of a DQ character in Smash (way before the leaks). And it's amazing how they hold western appeal in high regard. A lot of the comments were like:
"Oh yeah! It would be cool having Yuusha in smash. But the west don't know him so we probably get Sora or Geno."

"I think Slime is more well known in the west. Then again, that's the case here too".

D

Deleted member

Guys, we found out who Brave is.
As someone who grew up with Digimon, I would much more prefer a digivolved Digimon. Agumon might be the mascot, but I think moveset wise he'd feel like Pikachu, and I'm not the biggest fan of Pikachu. Maybe they'll make it like Digimon Rumble Arena 2 where you digivolve in battle and regress when you lose a life.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To be really honest… FE had success becoming popular on the west which DQ did not manage to do, that's the difference. As to why, well who knows, they handled the games in different ways, FE succeeded, DQ still struggles. It's not 100% about the formula.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I have been joking about this with my friends ever since we realized that one of the Digimon battle tracks was named Brave Evolution or something like that. I swear if this is the timeline where Graizen won I will laugh for centuries.
If Graizen gets his way I'm gonna be the first to pat him on his back.

That man has put up with a lot.

Sure he's overzealous, but damn you can't deny he'd deserve it if the outcome was that Agumon ended up in Smash Bros.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Man talk about Sega getting all the love when they get Sonic in brawl, Bayonetta as DLC last game, Joker as DLC this game and then there is a chance for a 2nd DLC Sega rep like tails.
I'm not on the team of seeing Joker as a SEGA character. Sure, SEGA owns ATLUS, but the latter has so much of their own personality, corporate philosophy and characters, that it's silly to associate it. Heck, at the very end of the DLC trailer you see them add the ATLUS name to the copyright holders of the game because of Joker's Addition to the cast.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t see Smash helping Dragon Quest gaining too much popularity in the West; there’ll definitely be some new fans, but it won’t ever become as big as Final Fantasy unless they really change the formula. The series has been out in the West for a while & has remained niche; its not like Fire Emblem which never had a Western release prior to Melee.
There exists a wide range between “niche” and “Final Fantasy levels of popular.” You do realize FF is one of the biggest global video game series ever right? Of course it won’t be as big.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
And those who keep repeating that DQ doesn't get the global appeal bc of the game itself have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. If you followed S-E's history, including pre-S-E era, you'll realize that a lot of the game's failures in getting that mass appeal was the company's own practices with PR.
The game has everything that can hype up a person that has a decent admiration of RPGs. It sadly got overshadowed by other priorities of the company's western HQ. Imagine Nintendo's PR for the Wii U, but for a series of videogames. That's kinda the picture. DQVIII blew up more bc of FFXII's demo on the disc and the fact that the game that accompanied it happened to have Akira Toriyama's art. And no XI, as much as there was some PR, S-E didn't push hard enough. The game couldn't come to the US with a complete soundtrack (again, due to S-E not wanting to pay royalties that they always did bc of their financial troubles), the ads weren't out in the open (I only got to see it if I kinda searched for it, in the sense that I had to visit familiar places to even get to see it). It was marketed as a normal new game, not a juggernaut of an RPG. So, given that S-E sucks at trying to show people what DQ actually is (just check out how many people in this very thread never played or knew what DQ was actually about.. there are some who even started playing it and actually enjoyed the experience), Smash Bros would put the series on the map for everyone. So now, people would actually pay attention to when a mainline DQ game launches worldwide.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Dragon Quest was ever destined to be Final Fantasy big over here, but it really hasn't had a fair shot. Square Enix's support for DQ outside Japan over the years has been pretty half-hearted, with a few earnest attempts (DQVIII and the FFXII demo disc, etc.) interspersed with periods of basically ignoring the series completely. Like, not counting DQX, DQXI, Joker 3 Pro or the Erdrick trilogy ports, there were seven Dragon Quest games on 3DS, and of those only two were localized: the remake of VII (three and a half years late) and the remake of VIII (a year and a half late, and two months before the Switch came out), and Nintendo had to publish those themselves. That was DQ's home for a while, and SE just fell asleep at the wheel.

...maybe I'm a touch bitter. They have been doing better lately, but that stretch of years wasn't fun, and it wasn't the first time.

Another part of the problem is that Dragon Quest is so well-known in Japan that it produces the kind of games that make sense for an established brand, but not for a market where it's relatively niche. Like, Dragon Quest X was never gonna get the support it needed over here. A lot of the Heroes games' value (like Hyrule Warriors) comes from recognizing the characters, which Joe Q. Western Gamer probably won't. Builders is a great stand-alone game, but if you don't know what DQ is it kind of looks like a cash-in.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think I'm starting to get the bigger picture now. This isn't even fully about just having Dragon Quest in smash. This is all about the game finally getting the recognition it deserves in the West as SE did a terrible job trying to so it themselves. And Smash might be the only vehicle to do that.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I don't think Dragon Quest was ever destined to be Final Fantasy big over here, but it really hasn't had a fair shot. Square Enix's support for DQ outside Japan over the years has been pretty half-hearted, with a few earnest attempts (DQVIII and the FFXII demo disc, etc.) interspersed with periods of basically ignoring the series completely. Like, not counting DQX, DQXI, Joker 3 Pro or the Erdrick trilogy ports, there were seven Dragon Quest games on 3DS, and of those only two were localized: the remake of VII (three and a half years late) and the remake of VIII (a year and a half late, and two months before the Switch came out), and Nintendo had to publish those themselves. That was DQ's home for a while, and SE just fell asleep at the wheel.

...maybe I'm a touch bitter. They have been doing better lately, but that stretch of years wasn't fun, and it wasn't the first time.

Another part of the problem is that Dragon Quest is so well-known in Japan that it produces the kind of games that make sense for an established brand, but not for a market where it's relatively niche. Like, Dragon Quest X was never gonna get the support it needed over here. A lot of the Heroes games' value (like Hyrule Warriors) comes from recognizing the characters, which Joe Q. Western Gamer probably won't. Builders is a great stand-alone game, but if you don't know what DQ is it kind of looks like a cash-in.
Heck, we barely weren't even going to get 7 and 8 over here, it seemed like for a while there, even Square was almost ready to give up on making it have any kind of traction over here by not localizing the games over here! Then again, 7 and 8 came out around the time of the 3DS/Wii U era. It still was like, they were ready to give up again. When it comes to Dragon Quest and the west popularity, barely anyone would give it a chance outside of the already established fanbase it does have over here in the West.

When XI was coming around I really hoped that it would put the series in the public eye, with how many had their eyes on that game. XI did give Dragon Quest some bit of steam, but it wasn't the kind of steam that Square was probably hoping for. They probably thought that this game would do what Monster Hunter World did for Monster Hunter over here in the West.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think I'm starting to get the bigger picture now. This isn't even fully about just having Dragon Quest in smash. This is all about the game finally getting the recognition it deserves in the West as SE did a terrible job trying to so it themselves. And Smash might be the only vehicle to do that.
For our side of the world I think that's one way to look at it. The Wii U analogy is pretty much spot on, they were absolutely incompetent with marketing the series for pretty much as long as the series has existed outside of Japan.
So, it's not like they've tried to force it to stick and that this is them pulling all the stops to do that. It's that they barely even tried to make it stick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thankfully Dragon Quest 11 has some of the best sales for the series up to now. It's also got a score of 92% on steam which is freakin great.
I haven't played it myself yet, but I'm glad for the series.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Sounds a lot like why much of us Ace Attorney fans campiagn for Phoenix Wright in Smash. ALbeit, it's more so a bout of convincing Capcom to actually try better with the series in the west as it has it's notable fanbase, but we get bottlenecked with what we actually get these days.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I find it really sad that Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 isn't just not coming to the west right now, but that it's region locked so I cant even order the japanese version.
I'd have to get the japanese 3ds :/ Unless someone knows another solution.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It is worth mentioning that the actual quality of DQ's localizations (when they happen) has been pretty great, and somebody obviously cares a whole lot about getting things right. The 3DS version of DQVIII was in a similar situation to Tales of Vesperia where there were new lines that needed to be voiced, and instead of cheaping out like Bamco did, they got almost the whole original cast back for the new lines, and re-dubbed Jessica from scratch when they couldn't get her actress back. That's real dedication for such a low-key release.

Sounds a lot like why much of us Ace Attorney fans campiagn for Phoenix Wright in Smash. ALbeit, it's more so a bout of convincing Capcom to actually try better with the series in the west as it has it's notable fanbase, but we bottlenecked with what we actually get these days.
I'm only vaguely familiar with Ace Attorney, but it seems like a similar situation to me. Of course, I mainly want a DQ character in Smash because... I want to play as a DQ character in Smash (as far back as Brawl, baby), and I think the series genuinely deserves it, but if it got enough of a recognition boost that we could avoid another localization drought that'd be pretty great too.

The real key to getting DQ to be more successful is just to keep the games coming consistently, to get them out a bit faster, and maybe to lean on Final Fantasy a bit, since there's some audience overlap. They had that opportunity with the PS4 Fortune Street that we never got, ha ha ha, but some kind of full-on crossover would be a big deal.

Last edited:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Square has already partnered in terms of characters, as in Cloud as well as Slime in some other nintendo games.
Disney is an extra layer of challenge to go through.
but disney isn't really a "challenge" if they've already worked with Nintendo to the extent they have before.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Kinda off topic but, Decidueye was almost picked for Smash Ultimate over Incineroar.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Square has already partnered in terms of characters, as in Cloud as well as Slime in some other nintendo games.
Disney is an extra layer of challenge to go through.
Also, I'm so sick of this excuse that people use for Sora. We know his situation but, it's not that complicated as people try to make it out to be. :rolleyes: BTW, Nomura is Sora's creator too just like Cloud, so what's your point? If anything he has more of a say for that situation than Disney does.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
but disney isn't really a "challenge" if they've already worked with Nintendo to the extent they have before.
Also, I'm so sick of this excuse that people use for Sora. We know his situation but, it's not that complicated as people try to make it out to be. :rolleyes:
All I said is that it's an extra layer of complication. In that they'd have to work with SE & Disney at the same time, rather than just SE.
I wasn't even going to debate against sora, so you're bringing this on yourself..People have also said that Disney is strict on copyrights and likes to control projects. Nintendo likes to be in control too, so it's just to say there's possible challenges whether or not they worked on a few things. Also, Nintendo partners much more with Universal, which is in competition with Disney.

So, think of it how you will, I'm not saying it can't happen, simply that it can be a bit more complicated.

Last edited:

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
All I said is that it's an extra layer of complication. In that they'd have to work with SE & Disney at the same time, rather than just SE.
I wasn't even going to debate against sora, so you're bringing this on yourself..People have also said that Disney is strict on copyrights and likes to control projects. Nintendo likes to be in control too, so it's just to say there's possible challenges whether or not they worked on a few things. Also, Nintendo partners much more with Universal, which is in competition with Disney.

So, think of it how you will, I'm not saying it can't happen, simply that it can be a bit more complicated.
Nintendo themselves only have to work with Disney... Sakurai would work with Nomura. This has been said for the way it goes. Also which people have said Disney take control over projects? Because they sure didn’t do that with sonic all stars, Fortnite, WoFF, FFRK or FFBV. That just sounds like more paranoia than anything. Also Nintendo working with Universal on something Disney rarely does (giving Licenced IPs their own full area in theme parks) doesn’t mean Disney would go an Anti-buisness route of not co-operating with Nintendo out of a grudge

D

Deleted member

Regarding Disney, I say its just like working with any other company. Only block I could potentially see is if there is any push by Disney for Disney related stuff but its unlikely considering the other crossovers.

Only thing is that music could be a 2 track situation considering SE :b
Kinda off topic but, Decidueye was almost picked for Smash Ultimate over Incineroar.
Interesting, glad they went with the cat though, Incineroar has a lot of personality.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

Doing this to ourselves? Your the one taking it to another level that shouldn't even be discussed when talking about a sole video game! We just said it wouldn't be that difficult as you and many people are trying to make it out to be. As said, Sakurai only has to work with Nomura which he has already done before. It's only Nintendo who deals with licensing and stuff for third parties, Sakurai just work with the creators of the characters. Why do people bring Universal into any of this, it's a video game, Smash isn't a theme park! Some of you are thinking way too much when it comes to licensing!

So, basically we didn't get Decidueye, because Masuada was out here playing favorites. Damn it! At least, he's in Pokken, even though I barely play that anymore.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nintendo themselves only have to work with Disney... Sakurai would work with Nomura. This has been said for the way it goes. Also which people have said Disney take control over projects? Because they sure didn’t do that with sonic all stars, Fortnite, WoFF, FFRK or FFBV. That just sounds like more paranoia than anything. Also Nintendo working with Universal on something Disney rarely does (giving Licenced IPs their own full area in theme parks) doesn’t mean Disney would go an Anti-buisness route of not co-operating with Nintendo out of a grudge
A lot of people seemed to think it'd be hard to get disney on board, but hey who knows maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

Doing this to ourselves? Your the one taking it to another level that shouldn't even be discussed when talking about a sole video game! We just said it wouldn't be that difficult as you and many people are trying to make it out to be. As said, Sakurai only has to work with Nomura which he has already done before. It's only Nintendo who deals with licensing and stuff for third parties, Sakurai just work with the creators of the characters. Why do people bring Universal into any of this, it's a video game, Smash isn't a theme park! Some of you are thinking way too much when it comes to licensing!

So, basically we didn't get Decidueye, because Masuada was out here playing favorites. Damn it! At least, he's in Pokken, even though I barely play that anymore.
My point was a simple one, and I was just handling what someone said about a post i made. (maybe i shouldn't have quoted you along too before). I don't feel like debating along this line, so let it go or talk it out with someone else.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Fine, how about the interview? I find it pretty interesting that they were indeed paying attention to the ballot. It seesms like Ridley, K.Rool, and Simon were the real winners that came from the ballot. At least that's what I got from Push's tweet thread. They did say that they were going to choose the newcomers for Ultimate from there. I think some people expected a lot of newcomers this time around, but instead, this ended up being the lowest amount of newcomers for Smash we've got from base game.

D

Deleted member

Fine, how about the interview? I find it pretty interesting that they were indeed paying attention to the ballot. It seesms like Ridley, K.Rool, and Simon were the real winners that came from the ballot. At least that's what I got from Push's tweet thread. They did say that they were going to choose the newcomers for Ultimate from there. I think some people expected a lot of newcomers this time around, but instead, this ended up being the lowest amount of newcomers for Smash we've got from base game.
I feel that the veterans ranked pretty well too, thats why we got "Everybody's Here". Also from Smash 4 DLC we have Cloud and Bayo which had a lot of votes as well.

I think that the most interesting part is that while they mention the ballot, they don't exactly mention the characters places on it.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If there is one thing you don't wanna do. It's announce a character was almost a thing. But then another character stole that spot. Imagine if later they are like "yeah it was almost Geno but we went with piranha plant instead" lol

Decidueye was by far the more popular choice for Pokemon. So that is going to annoy quite a few people.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The new source gaming one? I wonder if the full thing is going to be an article soon.
The question is, which SE character got the most votes.. and actually.., is nintendo even going to base themselves on that for dlc.. :/

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Seeing Decidueye being nearly chosen is kinda disheartening, as someone that thought Lycanroc had the better shot. :p

If there is one thing you don't wanna do. It's announce a character was almost a thing. But then another character stole that spot. Imagine if later they are like "yeah it was almost Geno but we went with piranha plant instead" lol

Decidueye was by far the more popular choice for Pokemon. So that is going to annoy quite a few people.
If we consider the scenario that the Pokemon newcomer was chosen around Sun/Moon and 2017, Decidueye's popularity likely would accounted to his near consideration. Man...

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I feel that the veterans ranked pretty well too, thats why we got "Everybody's Here". Also from Smash 4 DLC we have Cloud and Bayo which had a lot of votes as well.

I think that the most interesting part is that while they mention the ballot, they don't exactly mention the characters places on it.
I'm pretty sure that a good bit of vets were placed pretty highly on the ballot. As far as Cloud even goes, Sakurai did mention Terra and Bartz in that Sakurai and Nomura interview, they had to have done somewhat decently well enough in the ballot to have even been mentioned. It makes me wonder what other Square character was placed in the ballot. I know people will bring up Geno did well, but again I think a good bit of Square characters were placed pretty decently well. Again, Square just has so many great options of characters that would mesh so well with Smash, it should be a crime!

Seeing Decidueye being nearly chosen is kinda disheartening, as someone that thought Lycanroc had the better shot. :p

If we consider the scenario that the Pokemon newcomer was chosen around Sun/Moon and 2017, Decidueye's popularity likely would accounted to his near consideration. Man...
Oh, it's already annoying people! Have you not seen the replies in that thread? Half of them are about Decidueye! So, yeah people are still not really over it! Decidueye is that popular, and it sucks that we didn't get him, mostly because Masuda was out here playing favorites apparently! I also thought Lycanroc and even Mimikyu had a better shot over Incineroar even, just because of how popular they are! Nope, the real contenders for the Pokemon slot really was between either Incineroar and Decidueye!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Where on earth is Masuda related to this? All we know is Sakurai wanted Incineroar more because he wanted a Wrestling archtype. If anything, isn't it Sakurai playing favorites? Masuda isn't mention in these interviews. Going to need some context/citations here.

D

Deleted member

...Where on earth is Masuda related to this? All we know is Sakurai wanted Incineroar more because he wanted a Wrestling archtype. If anything, isn't it Sakurai playing favorites? Masuda isn't mention in these interviews. Going to need some context/citations here.
I feel that many times when people don't have concrete information of something, they just try to find a reason with the most logical stuff they can think of. Masuda seems to be biased towards the cat so for some fans they just think that it was a decision by him and the Pokemon Company rather than Sakurai, when in reality there are probably quite a few reasons behind why a character is chosen rather than a single reason.

Top Bottom