• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I wondered how Luminary would work as an alt but I later found a figurine of Luminary with the same sword and shield.
http://thefwoosh.com/2018/11/square-enix-bring-arts-dragon-quest-xi-luminary/

Since the size and parameters of Erdrick could depend based on his size, maybe we can just compare him to Luminary instead. They should be pretty much the same for alts to work. I can personally see a mix between Marth and Link stats.

D

Deleted member

tbqh I have no idea. Never played a DQ game and don't know too much about the characters.
Hmm..Okay.

It depends. He's got normal sized proportions in the PS4 release and chibi proportions in the 3DS.
But his normal look is WAY more Iconic to him, which apparently Sakurai always chooses the more Iconic design. That's why he went with Classic Mega-Man for Example.

Also Comparing the sizes of Luminary just based off of his Artwork he looks around Link height I would say. https://dragon-quest.org/images/2/2d/DQXI_Hero_art.png https://www.fanbyte.com/wp-content/...2672762687_7608455026364645376_o-1024x576.jpg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wondered how Luminary would work as an alt but I later found a figurine of Luminary with the same sword and shield.
http://thefwoosh.com/2018/11/square-enix-bring-arts-dragon-quest-xi-luminary/

Since the size and parameters of Erdrick could depend based on his size, maybe we can just compare him to Luminary instead. They should be pretty much the same for alts to work. I can personally see a mix between Marth and Link stats.
Well that's presuming the whole "PK Kid height" thing doesn't come in the final version.

Both Erdrick and the Luminary are pretty tall and lean people.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Well that's presuming the whole "PK Kid height" thing doesn't come in the final version.

Both Erdrick and the Luminary are pretty tall and lean people.
Yeah that's the only part that doesn't fit in. Can't think of many characters that can possibly fit that height, weight, and other parameters.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Been playing a bit of catch-up with Brave speculation. Is the "party mechanic" still part of Brave's moveset or was that just a rumor? If it is, perhaps Brave is Euden from Dragalia Lost?

main-character.png

D

Deleted member

Been playing a bit of catch-up with Brave speculation. Is the "party mechanic" still part of Brave's moveset or was that just a rumor? If it is, perhaps Brave is Euden from Dragalia Lost?

I Personally haven't heard anything about a Party Mechanic, as Nobody brought it up. So it's likely to be a Rumor.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Verge: has not thrown in on Erdrick, that is misinfo
Xenother: One leaker, don't know much on his belief regarding Erdrick
Tansut: Was who I was implying by leakers that believe it for reasons beyond the codename
The 5chan leak and Brave are the essential components here.
Brave stuff aside, let me extend some of that

Verge: hasn't personally called Erdrick yet asides the DQ ports stuff, the "unfortunately leaked" compiled S-E list had Erdrick as the most mentioned, also shot down Sora.
Tansut: calls on Erdrick and says he's not even far on development, backs partially of the 5channel rumor due to the character and genderswap costumes, can't say for the pallet swaps or the Alegard stage
GameXplain: Jon Cartwright thinks its 100% true with a gut feel, others are 90-95% or thinks Steve/Erdrick are happening.
SpawnWave: says Erdrick was talked in insider circles for a good while
LeakyPandy: tweeted about DQ a while ago, made claims about the DLC updates and TGAs, days later before the TGAs Leaky said most of the TGAs stuff fell apart.
Imran: not sure about the 5ch rumor, but provided an Tecmo-related interview he did with Shimbori dodging a question about Smash.
Xenother: backed Erdrick, also provided evidence him hearing and discussing about Erdrick to Hitagi many weeks ago prior.
Hitagi: had his own S-E name list as well, said it was looking to be a Dragon Quest newcomer. Later on said the S-E rep being DQ "is looking good"

other insider folks like Liam, Emily, king_zell, etc. have yet to say anything about the rumor

regardless what they say, we still don't know if Brave is really Erdrick. Tansut's claims feels very close to Brave's situation, but of course its not really convincing the skeptical public

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Brave stuff aside, let me extend some of that

Verge: hasn't personally called Erdrick yet asides the DQ ports stuff, the "unfortunately leaked" compiled S-E list had Erdrick as the most mentioned
Tansut: calls on Erdrick and says he's not even far on development, backs partially of the 5channel rumor due to the character and genderswap costumes, can't say for the pallet swaps or the Alegard stage
GameXplain: Jon Cartwright thinks its 100% true with a gut feel, others are 90-95% or thinks Steve/Erdrick are happening.
SpawnWave: says Erdrick was talked in insider circles for a good while
LeakyPandy: tweeted about DQ a while ago, made claims about the DLC updates and TGAs, days later before the TGAs Leaky said most of the TGAs stuff fell apart
Imran: not sure about the 5ch rumor, but provided an interview he did with Shimbori dodging a question about Smash.

regardless what they say, we still don't know if Brave is really Erdrick. Tansuit's claims feels very close to Brave's situation, but of course its not really convincing the skeptical public
Source for LeakyPandy stating VGA stuff fell apart

https://twitter.com/LeakyPandy/status/1062435913677107206

Just providing additional sources for you.

D

Deleted member

You literally just described the opposite of tunnel vision.

Tunnel vision is focusing down one thing and only one thing.

Opening Brave up to multiple possibilities and not trying to fit Erdrick at any means necessary?

That's not tunnel vision.

Tunnel vision however is? The constantly changing landscape of the scenario and mystery at hand and no matter what happens you have people going with no doubt in their heads that it's Erdrick because the word of leakers mostly and nothing else.

It was Erdrick when you guys thought this character was going to be a straight up swordsman.

It was Erdrick when you guys thought this character was going to be a zoner.

It suddenly became Chibi Erdrick (and it was always sooooo obvious that Sakurai would use this look btw) when you guys saw the stats might not fit the more recognizable Bigger Erdrick model.

If anyone has tunnel vision. It's the 100 percent certain Erdrick people, because all you're focusing on is shoving him into an almost finished puzzle at any means necessary just because ''The leakers say so." and ''But the codename!"
Tunnel vision is focusing on one piece of evidence instead of putting it all together.
The list, the leaks, the insiders and the codename all point to Erdrick.
The only thing one can argue does not are the stats but those can be changed constantly and are way too subjective to deduce from.

The codename could be applied to other characters but none of them have been supposedly leaked, are in the list Verge had or are backed up by insiders. Erdrick is the one who's in the middle of all these crossroads.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It was Erdrick when you guys thought this character was going to be a straight up swordsman.

It was Erdrick when you guys thought this character was going to be a zoner.

It suddenly became Chibi Erdrick (and it was always sooooo obvious that Sakurai would use this look btw) when you guys saw the stats might not fit the more recognizable Bigger Erdrick model.
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen anyone say any of these things. I've only actually seen Erdrick detractors use the stats to say what "Brave" is or isn't.

DQ has some rumor stuff that fits with the Brave thing, and that's really the most we have to go on. It's premature to say it's DQ for sure.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Tunnel vision is focusing on one piece of evidence instead of putting it all together.
The list, the leaks, the insiders and the codename all point to Erdrick.
The only thing one can argue does not are the stats but those can be changed constantly and are way too subjective to deduce from.

The codename could be applied to other characters but none of them have been supposedly leaked, are in the list Verge had or are backed up by insiders. Erdrick is the one who's in the middle of all these crossroads.
I mean counting the list, leaks, and insiders as three separate points seems like a stretch since they are more or less all the same thing. On top of that the biggest difference is the data is tangible and the leaks are not, the data is physically in anyone's game to go get and look at if you have the skills while the leaks require faith in someones info they got from someone, which in the whole history of video games the percentage of leaks who have been true vs false is not great. Finally the code name is about the least helpful argument anyone could make because we have no idea how their naming system works since we only have two code names to base off of and they're both really different.

So when I look at it I see Data vs Leakers with code names being a solid neutral since the unknown nature of it means both sides could probably argue it supports them.

Now my personal opinion? I trust data I can see and "touch" way more than a glorified game of telephone.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The code name is about the least helpful argument anyone could make because we have no idea how their naming system works since we only have two code names to base off of and they're both really different.
One of which they were aware they'd reveal before launch anyway, so realistically we only have one data point on how they'd codename fighter pass characters.

I wouldn't say the data is against the insiders though, to me it's similarly neutral, but each to their own.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
One of which they were aware they'd reveal before launch anyway, so realistically we only have one data point on how they'd codename fighter pass characters.

I wouldn't say the data is against the insiders though, to me it's similarly neutral, but each to their own.
Agreed on your point about the code name, Plant is so on the nose it could very well be his actual name and not coded at all.

I say the data vs. leakers because that's about the state of the thread at the moment. I still think the data could support Erdrick, possibly even an "adult" Erdrick, but since the data seems like it might point to others more it does kind of make it a versus situation.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay so in my mission to also give various DQ games a shot, I'm trying the demo for Dragon Quest Builders and...back during the "Minecraft content" days there was a joke about how "what if the Minecraft content was actually DQ Builders content". It was apparently shot down by Verge's sources, but...

Well...

I'm playing it now and...you know how the leak said Erdrick's stage was "Alefgard"? Well, that's the name of the continent you rebuild in DQB. I know that's also the continent from DQ3 but...really makes you think.
I would be okay with this. I really enjoyed Dragon Quest Builders.

D

Deleted member

I mean counting the list, leaks, and insiders as three separate points seems like a stretch since they are more or less all the same thing. On top of that the biggest difference is the data is tangible and the leaks are not, the data is physically in anyone's game to go get and look at if you have the skills while the leaks require faith in someones info they got from someone, which in the whole history of video games the percentage of leaks who have been true vs false is not great. Finally the code name is about the least helpful argument anyone could make because we have no idea how their naming system works since we only have two code names to base off of and they're both really different.

So when I look at it I see Data vs Leakers with code names being a solid neutral since the unknown nature of it means both sides could probably argue it supports them.

Now my personal opinion? I trust data I can see and "touch" way more than a glorified game of telephone.
Data is inconclusive, leaks are not.
We can argue all day whether Brave's (unfinished) stats fit a character or not but saying it can't be Erdrick because of those is ignoring all the other evidence.

Sure, "Brave" could be a Bravely Default character... but they're not on the list.
Sure, those stats could fit Geno or whoever else... but they aren't ever called "Brave".
It feels way too much reaching to find someine who fits less than someone who has been on our face this entire time.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Data is inconclusive, leaks are not.
I mean they're inconclusive in that you can't be certain the leaker has good info or isn't making stuff up.

We can argue all day whether Brave's (unfinished) stats fit a character or not but saying it can't be Erdrick because of those is ignoring all the other evidence.
Never said it couldn't be Erdrick, in fact have multiple times said I think it could still be pointing at Erdrick, but its weird/different enough from what we would have expected that its worth considering other people that it might fit better.

Sure, "Brave" could be a Bravely Default character... but they're not on the list.
Sure, those stats could fit Geno or whoever else... but they aren't ever called "Brave".
It feels way too much reaching to find someine who fits less than someone who has been on our face this entire time.
You could probably argue that Brave = Erdrick is almost too good to be a code name as it doesn't really obscure anything. That's the problem we have no idea how they were trying to use the code name, are they trying to throw everyone off? Was it just a placeholder that wasn't supposed to ever go beyond internal development? Until we see how more code names work we can't really say for sure.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
What Square Enix based mii costumes do you guys think we might get? Obvious to return Geno and Chobobo hat but maybe they could even squeeze in some new FF things like Black Mage. As for an outlandish one I could see them doing 2B as a Mii costume (if they cover her legs up like Mythra).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm not sure how stats work, but Brave still seems to be a short Fighter according to... Well, everyone? Then why is it that when Mizumi gave Ike Brave's stats, he became only slighlty shorter than Lucina?

That's still pretty big. In fact, shorter than Lucina is how I'd envision the newest render of Erdrick from Battle Road Víctory.
A character in his mid-late teens. Also, how I'd picture Crono's height being.

D

Deleted member

What Square Enix based mii costumes do you guys think we might get? Obvious to return Geno and Chobobo hat but maybe they could even squeeze in some new FF things like Black Mage. As for an outlandish one I could see them doing 2B as a Mii costume (if they cover her legs up like Mythra).
Gimme Cid from VII. Lit cigarette in all its glory. Lara Croft would be cool too, and maybe buddy from Just Cause. Primrose from Octopath maybe?

D

Deleted member

I dont really think you need to cover a 2B Mii costume as long as you use her Default one and not the one after she self destructs.

I would like a Moggle one, some based on Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh, Bahamut, and some based on FFVII party members.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I dont really think you need to cover a 2B Mii costume as long as you use her Default one and not the one after she self destructs.

I would like a Moggle one, some based on Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh, Bahamut, and some based on FFVII party members.
lol I had to look up what you were talking about with the self-destruct thing and that't very goofy, why does blowing up only affect her skirt?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
And so the prophecy has been fulfilled.......partially. This place seems fine still despite no announcement. Meh.
ANGRY

NINTENDO WHY NO DIRECT

WHERE IS MY DIRECT, NINTENDO

WHERE IS IT!?!?

MY LIFE IS OVER.

There, I fulfilled the prophecy for ya. Glad to be of service! :drflip:

D

Deleted member

Tifa and Barret seemed like they would be obvious ones lol

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how stats work, but Brave still seems to be a short Fighter according to... Well, everyone? Then why is it that when Mizumi gave Ike Brave's stats, he became only slighlty shorter than Lucina?

That's still pretty big. In fact, shorter than Lucina is how I'd envision the newest render of Erdrick from Battle Road Víctory.
Ok, this is what happened, or at least my working theory:

“Height” does not change. Brave’s height is 13, the size of Ness and/or Lucas and/orb ice Climbers. This is a known fact.

However, there is a fighter value called “scale”, and Brave’s default “scale” is 0.96. If this is the height scalar, then Ike becoming shorter than Lucina makes sense - it scaled their model down slightly.

As such, the character is actually probably even smaller than we think.

Also Kefka Mii Costume, please and thank you.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Honestly the answer is, no one is really sure.

While like PolarPanda PolarPanda was saying height is clearly important as it directly correlates with their final size in almost every case but when people try to make it the same it doesn't actually make people the same (see the earlier post with Pichu and Ridley). I think @ryumo probably has about the best guess of anyone that its a scaling thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The thing is that unless someone verifies what the stat does we cant be sure what it does. My idea was mostly on assumption that it is the parameter controlling height but as of this moment, we cant really tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'd love a 2B Mii costume if it makes them look like the adorable 2B plush I bought the other day.

MVIMG_20190116_092214.png

Any 2B in Smash would be wonderful, even if playable is my dream.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Mii costumes? Oh if only SE was generous...

FF series:
- Chocobo
- Moogle
- Black Mage
- White Mage
- Ninja
- Low Poly Barret
- Low Poly Tifa

DQ series:
- Descendant (DQ1 hero)
- Dragonlord (DQ1 final boss)
- Slime stack and Slime hat.
- Chibi Erdrick's armor
- Builder Male and female
- Celestrian outfit
- Chibi Terry outfit and hat

Chrono Trigger
- Crono outfit and wig
- Lucca outfit and helmet
- Magus outfit and hair
- Frog outfit and mask
- Ayla outfit and wig
- Robo helmet and suit

Tomb Raider
- Low Poly Lara Croft costume and wig

And:
- Bravely Default
- Geno costume
- Mallow costume
- Secret of Mana costume

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Mizumi's numbers were completely wrong. He claimed luigi had a higher height stat than falcon but... falcon actually is 3 height values taller than luigi. It seems he deleted his tweet now. No idea why he's spreading misinformation, but I will say it seems like he's trying really hard to say the height stat doesn't matter. Faking information is not a good way to make a point, though.
And what about Bowser being "taller" than Ridley?
I'm saying that Occam's Razor is in effect here.
Funnily enough, back during the Grinch leak, people were claiming Occam's Razor in favor of said leak being real. You may be heading down a similar path here.
The last time people decided leakers were wrong and tried to argue in favor of who they wanted, Incineroar was labeled as leak bait.
Then again, Joker and the lack of Metroid at the 2018 VGA, proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the leakers can get spectauraly bamboozled. I'd say people are well within rights to have their doubts.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
The leaked developer build screenshot/photo of Ken had a larger Pichu. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the size of fighter models and perhaps their height stat isn't necessarily final until they're, well, final.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm saying that Occam's Razor is in effect here.
Several sources are claiming Erdrick for whatever reason. Simplest solution is that they're most likely correct in saying Erdrick, just like with Incineroar prior.

Why should people who want to stay the course be ridiculed for it?
We're not ridiculing people for believing Erdrick is the most likely candidate. Most people here, including myself, would agree with that sentiment.

But when people 100% believe that Erdrick has to be Brave and they don't consider any other alternative, that's when people, like myself, start pushing back against the idea.

Just because we have the Incineroar example doesn't mean that every similar scenario we get in the future is going to yield the same results.

The simplest solution does not equal the correct solution in every scenario.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wish I had the confidence to believe Erdrick is a 100% likely at this point.
I would be incapable of feeling any other emotion other than absolute bliss for who knows how long.

Top Bottom