• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I hate to sound potentially dumb here, but what exactly are the height stats actually for?
The amount of height the character would look standing up completely? How far they can stretch?
I would go check out this post here by Ryumo, it (and the ones after because I'm dumb and couldn't understand what he was saying) gives a super comprehensive look at what that is talking about and what that means for Brave.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

honestly While Erdrick is by and far the most likely character to be "Brave" we shouldn't become an echo chamber of Erdrick while shunning and throwing other ideas out the window, We made Fatman who seems like a genuinely nice guy leave just cause he was skeptical of Erdrick being "Brave". Come on guys we're better than this. I'm not pointng fingers either We just might not want to become an Echo chamber just in case Erdrick isn't the character and we all get BTFO'd plus it entices more Interesting Conversations instead of regurgitating the same points over and over again.
I wholeheartedly agree. I think it's been difficult to have some of those discussions though because of some arguments coming from a place of outright aggression (you know who i'm talking about), however as long as we're all chill there's absolutely discussion to be had.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to sound potentially dumb here, but what exactly are the height stats actually for?
The amount of height the character would look standing up completely? How far they can stretch?
I think I can answer this. I've messed around with Melee/Brawl files before. I'm not sure it's the same thing, but there are similar numbers in the code that seem to resize the model of the specific character.

Calane

Smash Ace
Question, if Slime got in and it turned out Erdrick was "leaked" because he is in his final smash and victory pose like Chrom and Robin would the Erdrick fans be upset or are most Erdrick fans mostly Dragon Quest fans and you'd be happy just to get a Dragon Quest fighter?
I would genuinely be upset, yeah. I just...really don't like the idea of Slime being DQ's sole playable representation in Smash for multiple reasons. That's not to say that I hate Slime or anything, it's just that it doesn't fit how I personally want to see DQ represented. I know this isn't a very popular opinion, though.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I would genuinely be upset, yeah. I just...really don't like the idea of Slime being DQ's sole playable representation in Smash for multiple reasons. That's not to say that I hate Slime or anything, it's just that it doesn't fit how I personally want to see DQ represented. I know this isn't a very popular opinion, though.
As someone who doesn't know a ton about DQ, I'm curious - would you feel this way if it was one of the named Slimes like Rocket or the Slime Knight I've heard about? Or is it just that you personally want a Hero? I'm curious to learn more about the DQ fandom's views here.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
All of this talk about Dragon Quest is chipping away at my defenses slowly but surely and I'm getting the urge to try the game out. Might have to break out my old 3DS and check out the eStore sometime soon, though I have no idea where I'll find the time to play (busy schedule and still need to beat Dark Souls, plus looking at also getting Tales of Vesparia, I just need a year-long vacation to play all the games I want to!)

Calane

Smash Ace
As someone who doesn't know a ton about DQ, I'm curious - would you feel this way if it was one of the named Slimes like Rocket or the Slime Knight I've heard about? Or is it just that you personally want a Hero? I'm curious to learn more about the DQ fandom's views here.
I would feel this way if it were any monster at all, honestly. Name, or no name. My views obviously don't reflect the rest of the fandom, however.

The main reason I feel this way is because, if DQ were to get in Smash, it really should be the main series games that get represented over any spin-offs. Slime, while the mascot of the series, is really not the focus of the main games and would paint an inaccurate picture of what those games are actually like. The only DQ characters I would maybe accept over a Hero would be one of the series' various party members, like Alena of DQ4 for example.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Question, if Slime got in and it turned out Erdrick was "leaked" because he is in his final smash and victory pose like Chrom and Robin would the Erdrick fans be upset or are most Erdrick fans mostly Dragon Quest fans and you'd be happy just to get a Dragon Quest fighter?
I wouldn’t say I’m an Erdrick fan as much as I am a DQ fan who loves DQ3 and its characters, but I would totally prefer Slime to Erdrick. I like third party characters to be iconic, plus I will always cherish Rocket Slime:

If the Slime was specifically called Rocket I think this would be even more hype than Joker for me.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
What's to appreciate? It's just mindless theorycraft, like the scribblings of a homeless man high on coke on a coffee stained McDonald's napkin. Just the ramblings of a ******* with too much time on his hands. Literally who cares? Does it add anything? No. It just pisses people off because apparently I'm deliberately being contrarian or a Devil's advocate. Nevermind the implications of being delusional simply for bringing up arguments against the status quo. Why be everyone's idiot? It's not worth it. Like, I'm burnt out but I don't have anything better to do, especially at a job where I'm busy maybe half my shift on a good day. It's just genuinely whatever at this point. Can we just get this ****ing character confirmed already? Please and thanks.
I look forward to your posts because you consistently think through things really thouroughly and aren't blinded by bias like most. You admit when you're wrong, which makes your thoughts much more trustworthy than most because it shows you are really looking for the truth and not just trying to be right. I think of you, Luigi The President Luigi The President , DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , and PolarPanda PolarPanda as the four here with the highest quality posts and the most trustworthy ideas and arguments. With so many people completely on the Erdrick train, you're the only person of the four who still makes arguments against him. It really adds to the discussion and keeps it from being an echo chamber. Plus your posts make sceptics not look like the flat Earth Grinch leak repeaters that some make us out to be. I would really urge you not to let bad few people ruin it for everyone. If it's burning you out and really bothering you then I won't bug you to stay. Real life comes first, and you shouldn't let this affect you so much out of obligation to us. Just know that the thread will be lesser for it and many of us will miss your posts

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I would take Erdrick a thousand times before Slime. Something about its stupid face irks me and it's not one I'd want to see for a Smash contender.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
If the size of Brave is shorter than Luigi and the two characters that fit the description is Kid Erdrick and Crono is it possible that Geno could fit the describtion as well? He would be around Mario's height. (I'm sure he's not going to be the Brave character, but it's worth a shot). Or maybe a Bravely Default character since they're chibi.
I forgot to mention that I believe Geno fits this size as well. Kid erdrick, crono, geno.

Calane

Smash Ace
I forgot to mention that I believe Geno fits this size as well. Kid erdrick, crono, geno.
There's nothing indicating that "Brave" is shorter than Luigi. Nothing.

Mizumi has explained this multiple times at this point.

Edit: I apologize if this came off rude. I'm just getting a little tired of seeing this misconception thrown around.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Watch this thread once the height debate is totally destroyed by Brave just being an even bigger Ridley. :drwtf:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I look forward to your posts because you consistently think through things really thouroughly and aren't blinded by bias like most. You admit when you're wrong, which makes your thoughts much more trustworthy than most because it shows you are really looking for the truth and not just trying to be right. I think of you, Luigi The President Luigi The President , DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , and PolarPanda PolarPanda as the four here with the highest quality posts and the most trustworthy ideas and arguments. With so many people completely on the Erdrick train, you're the only person of the four who still makes arguments against him. It really adds to the discussion and keeps it from being an echo chamber. Plus your posts make sceptics not look like the flat Earth Grinch leak repeaters that some make us out to be. I would really urge you not to let bad few people ruin it for everyone. If it's burning you out and really bothering you then I won't bug you to stay. Real life comes first, and you shouldn't let this affect you so much out of obligation to us. Just know that the thread will be lesser for it and many of us will miss your posts
I wish I could double like this post.

Now on the topic of "Brave's" height:
It's not a good indicator of what body shape or size the character would have.

The Captain Falcon/Luigi comparison pretty much shows that it's not an accurate depiction of how tall the character will appear in-game.

So the height value doesn't really add evidence in favor of any character.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
>Me returning to this thread after two days of life
xaog72y9fu521.jpg

I swear this thread...
So, you're saying that this is really anyone's game?

I still believe in Erdrick though.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
200 pages :O. Well, Square Enix is pretty great so makes sense :)

We talked about the height issue on this page: https://smashboards.com/threads/brave-new-character-datamined.470443/page-2

It's looking like we can't say much about the height thing for now, since the model makes a big difference, apparently :/

Edit: I apologize if this came off rude. I'm just getting a little tired of seeing this misconception thrown around.
It's kind of hard to understand the height thing, I don't even 100% understand it myself, so it's better to just explain as best you can or point to the mizumi post (maybe the one about sora)

I like your avatar :)

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
"Zoner": character who's based around keeping distance from the opponent through projectiles or long-range weapons. Do I get a cookie?
A long range weapon is usually classified more as a disjoint instead of a fighting style. A sword user's character type is based on many different variables Like Ike is considered a heavyweight more than a zoner.

The Links and Robin are the only sword characters that I really see as zoners. Young Link and Toon Link feel the closest to Brave's stats which is why a lot of people are pointing towards either Kid Erdrick or someone completely different. Mizumi made a video showcasing Brave's stats with Ike to give an idea of how a character plays. However, I think Ike looks stupid with those stats and will not come even close to the final product.

My wish is that he would try using Brave's stats with other characters. My recommendation would be Mario, Toon Link and Mega Man to get a feel for not just characters close to that size but also three different play styles.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

I don't even get why people even bring the height thing up, its not like it really proves anything for any of these characters on here. As said before, the stats can change. The Captain Falcon/Luigi comparison in the Tweet shows that it's not an accurate of how tall the character will appear in-game. So, height doesn't matter as Mizumi has been saying. Why do we keep brininging it up?!

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm baffled by this persistent notion that Crono is closer in height to NES Erdrick than SNES Erdrick, or that he counts as short at all. You've seen Crono, right?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I don't even get why people even bring the height thing up, its not like it really proves anything for any of these characters on here. As said before, the stats can change. The Captain Falcon/Luigi comparison in the Tweet shows that it's not an accurate of how tall the character will appear in-game. So, height doesn't matter as Mizumi has been saying. Why do we keep brininging it up?!
Because we're running out of things to talk about regarding "Brave".

As a result, we keep bringing up points that don't really give a good indication as to who "Brave" could be.

And that's ignoring the fact that these stats can change in the future.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
It's kind of hard to understand the height thing, I don't even 100% understand it myself, so it's better to just explain as best you can or point to the mizumi post (maybe the one about sora)

I like your avatar :)
I guess I just figured that someone else had already posted it not too long ago. I mean, it's right at the top of the page in someone's reply.

Oh, and thanks! I like yours too!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wow 200 pages, anyways if theres a direct soon Im making a bingo card with "leaks" and predictions I find :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking. It's actually possible for a slime to show up. Nintendo's already showed favor to it in the past, kind of as a mascot, and it would fit with a character that slides more.

MarioSportsMix_Slime.jpg

I guess I just figured that someone else had already posted it, so I didn't really have to. I mean, it's right at the top of the page in someone's reply.

Oh, and thanks! I like yours too!
What I mean is that it's understandable for some people to not get it, especially after a lot of people talked about the height value as if it meant brave was going to be short-ish. Anyway :)

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I mean it's not like it means nothing, it means something we just don't know what yet. We can attempt to make some educated guesses based on what we do know but that's all, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth talking about. If we're saying we can't talk about things that aren't concrete then we might as well shut down the thread.

Because we're running out of things to talk about regarding "Brave".

As a result, we keep bringing up points that don't really give a good indication as to who "Brave" could be.

And that's ignoring the fact that these stats can change in the future.
I mean again, yes they can't change but we haven't seen them change that drastically before so we can at least start discussing what we can see from what we have.

Again the data is the most concrete thing we have right now so if we're saying there is no point in talking about them we might as well just all pack it up and go home.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I would be fine with Erdrick, a Knight on a Slime, Crono or basically any Dragon Quest's monster. Or the protagonists of Dragon Quest Monster Jokers (underrated games).

Of course, Geno is my most wanted Square rep, but I don't believe in his chances anymore. I predicted the DLC to be 3rd party juggernauts and it seems that this is what we're going to get.

The only character that I don't want is Sora. He's a big name, blabla, yeah sure, but I don't give a **** about him at all.

Calane

Smash Ace
I mean it's not like it means nothing, it means something we just don't know what yet. We can attempt to make some educated guesses based on what we do know but that's all, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth talking about. If we're saying we can't talk about things that aren't concrete then we might as well shut down the thread.
The point is that the "height" thing tells us nothing about how tall or short "Brave" actually is. It's basically meaningless without the actual model. It probably won't even be useful information once we do have the model, honestly.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

I mean again, yes they can't change but we haven't seen them change that drastically before so we can at least start discussing what we can see from what we have.

Again the data is the most concrete thing we have right now so if we're saying there is no point in talking about them we might as well just all pack it up and go home.
Because it is meaningless, it's not like we have anything else to go buy other than the numbers. Height doesn't really tell us how tall or short Brave actually is. It's not we have any model to go off by. Which is why its basically useless when we don't actually have an official model of the character, and even then it's useless cause its basically what's the point when the character gets revealed.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The point is that the "height" thing tells us nothing about how tall or short "Brave" actually is. It's basically meaningless without the actual model. It probably won't even be useful information once we do have the model, honestly.
I think shocktarts wasnt really talking about the height thing, but the stats in general.

Because it is meaningless, it's not like we have anything else to go buy other than the numbers. Height doesn't really tell us how tall or short Brave actually is. It's not we have any model to off by. Which is why its basically useless when we don't actually have an official model of the character, and even then it's useless cause its basically what's the point when the character gets revealed.
A lot can change but that doesnt stop from making whatever good guesses we can. Those that 'believe' the guesses might get dissapointed or surprised, but that's about it. It can be fun to look at possibilities.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I mean we know it stands for how many times they scaled it so again, its not nothing. There are just too many possibilities for what it could mean with no real indication that it could be one over another.

It sounds like semantics but the difference is that one way you could never talk about height because it truly has no meaning and the other you can see if other data fits with the height data we have.

For example, one reason a character could need to be scaled more while not ending up at that same height (i.e. not actually being as tall as Ness) would be if they were short and fat. So if I know this and I put that with other things I observe I could say, maybe Slime fits the data because he probably wouldn't be as tall as Ness but since he is short and fat he might have needed to be scaled higher than other of the same height.

Now that doesn't mean the height shows it has to be someone who is short and fat but it could. It could also mean that they used another character as a reference and scaled them accordingly, i.e. Ridley and Samus having the same height. So you could also look at other characters of the same height and wonder who might be designed with their size in mind.

It's all speculation and none of it is in any way FACT but it's not irrelevant data.

Because it is meaningless, it's not like we have anything else to go buy other than the numbers. Height doesn't really tell us how tall or short Brave actually is. It's not we have any model to go off by. Which is why its basically useless when we don't actually have an official model of the character, and even then it's useless cause its basically what's the point when the character gets revealed.
Well then lets just shut down the whole thread because any speculation is meaningless before the announcement comes.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Slime would be allowed to be the smallest character because a Slime being as big as or bigger than Kirby would be pretty strange I think. Obviously wouldn't be much smaller than Kirby height but enough to be notable.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
PolarPanda PolarPanda someone said you're saying there's a direct on Thursday. I thought I'd ask you to make sure that's true before I believe it because I know how your words tend to get bent sometimes.

Top Bottom