• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I wonder if Slime would be allowed to be the smallest character because a Slime being as big as or bigger than Kirby would be pretty strange I think. Obviously wouldn't be much smaller than Kirby height but enough to be notable.
I mean in Mario Sports Mix you can see he's pretty close to Toad's height which is about the same as Pichu in game. He'd probably be small but I don't think he has to necessarily be the smallest fighter or anything.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I mean again, yes they can't change but we haven't seen them change that drastically before so we can at least start discussing what we can see from what we have.

Again the data is the most concrete thing we have right now so if we're saying there is no point in talking about them we might as well just all pack it up and go home.
The data is pretty much the only concrete evidence we have right now.

But even with that, the biggest piece we can really take from that is "Brave".

Height, as many people (including myself) have said, is not a good depiction of in-game height.

You can try to make guesses as to who could fit, but you're using something that's not necessarily accurate to make those predictions.

I'm not saying you can't make predictions, but you can't really make accurate predictions based of off inaccurate info, outside of a general estimate (small/medium/large size etc).

Calane

Smash Ace
I mean we know it stands for how many times they scaled it so again, its not nothing. There are just too many possibilities for what it could mean with no real indication that it could be one over another.

It sounds like semantics but the difference is that one way you could never talk about height because it truly has no meaning and the other you can see if other data fits with the height data we have.

For example, one reason a character could need to be scaled more while not ending up at that same height (i.e. not actually being as tall as Ness) would be if they were short and fat. So if I know this and I put that with other things I observe I could say, maybe Slime fits the data because he probably wouldn't be as tall as Ness but since he is short and fat he might have needed to be scaled higher than other of the same height.

Now that doesn't mean the height shows it has to be someone who is short and fat but it could. It could also mean that they used another character as a reference and scaled them accordingly, i.e. Ridley and Samus having the same height. So you could also look at other characters of the same height and wonder who might be designed with their size in mind.

It's all speculation and none of it is in any way FACT but it's not irrelevant data.
Okay, I guess. It doesn't seem all that important to me, but if you want to speculate about it, then be my guest.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Height, as many people (including myself) have said, is not a good depiction of in-game height.

You can try to make guesses as to who could fit, but you're using something that's not necessarily accurate to make those predictions.

I'm not saying you can't make predictions, but you can't really make accurate predictions based of off inaccurate info, outside of a general estimate (small/medium/large size etc).
The data can be useful, but it doesnt mean the character is short at all. can we settle there? lol

I wonder if Slime would be allowed to be the smallest character because a Slime being as big as or bigger than Kirby would be pretty strange I think. Obviously wouldn't be much smaller than Kirby height but enough to be notable.
Kirby is supposed to be much smaller anyway. Im sure they'd end up making it look fine.
I would take a hero over slime, but it'd be pretty interesting to see too :D

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Honestly I feel like code name speculation is much less concrete because we only have two known data points for it, and they're different.

Plant = Piranha Plant is so on the nose it almost doesn't even count as a code name.
Jack = Joker is much more vague and could point to any number of things, Jack Frost the Atlus mascot, the Jack-of-all-trades nature of Joker's character, or the Jack also being a playing card like the Joker.

Since we don't really have enough data to make any real conclusions about their naming system its hard to try and use it to point to any one character, just kinda say this one could fit. This is evident by every single support thread trying to figure out how Brave could mean their character.

So at best its about as vague as "height" is.
Okay, I guess. It doesn't seem all that important to me, but if you want to speculate about it, then be my guest.
It's not all that important honestly, you're 100% right that its mostly useless data because there are just too many possibilities, but frankly I'm just tired of everyone claiming that looking at the data is pointless while they talk about which text based "insider" they believe more. At the end of the day they could blow us all out of the water and shock everyone, I just don't want people who are looking at the data to constantly be told that there is no point.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly I feel like code name speculation is much less concrete because we only have two known data points for it, and they're different.

Plant = Piranha Plant is so on the nose it almost doesn't even count as a code name.
Jack = Joker is much more vague and could point to any number of things, Jack Frost the Atlus mascot, the Jack-of-all-trades nature of Joker's character, or the Jack also being a playing card like the Joker.

Since we don't really have enough data to make any real conclusions about their naming system its hard to try and use it to point to any one character, just kinda say this one could fit. This is evident by every single support thread trying to figure out how Brave could mean their character.

So at best its about as vague as "height" is.

It's not all that important honestly, you're 100% right that its mostly useless data because there are just too many possibilities, but frankly I'm just tired of everyone claiming that looking at the data is pointless while they talk about which text based "insider" they believe more. At the end of the day they could blow us all out of the water and shock everyone, I just don't want people who are looking at the data to constantly be told that there is no point.
I was also a bit turned off by how many people jumped the gun about what 'brave' could point to. It'd fun to speculate but you would think the grinch leak has taught people something about making assumptions.
That said, I dont think dragon quest hero is a bad guess, it's just the strongest possibility at the time, and even then it may just be 10% or something, considering alll the other possibilities.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've been thinking, wouldn't it be funny if the names of "brave" and "jack" were actually switched. It would make a lot of the assumptions go out of the window.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I was also a bit turned off by how many people jumped the gun about what 'brave' could point to. It'd fun to speculate but you would think the grinch leak has taught people something about making assumptions.
That said, I dont think dragon quest hero is a bad guess, it's just the strongest possibility at the time, and even then it may just be 10% or something, considering alll the other possibilities.
If I'm being honest my personal belief is that its about 50/50 Erdrick or Slime, maybe 60/40. I think there are good arguments on both side, but I think Dragon Quest is probably getting this slot.

D

Deleted member

Seems like the past hours were a bit rough in here...

...might be a good idea to cleanse the thread with some blessed Chrono Trigger music:

I really love this music. I haven't played CT yet, and as a huge fan of SMRPG and the Mother series, this sounds like a combination of music from those two games/series, and I love it

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If I'm being honest my personal belief is that its about 50/50 Erdrick or Slime, maybe 60/40. I think there are good arguments on both side, but I think Dragon Quest is probably getting this slot.
I think it's only 15% for dragon quest (12 for hero, 3 for slime). Might be a bit low, but that's because I think 'brave' might not even be for square.

Dragon Quest is a super strong series tho, so if there's an SE slot, I do think it's over 50% for it. There's great square series' to pick from tho, including max from Life is Strange (jk)

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think it's only 15% for dragon quest (12 for hero, 3 for slime). Might be a bit low, but that's because I think 'brave' might not even be for square.

Dragon Quest is a super strong series tho, so if there's an SE slot, I do think it's over 50% for it. There's great square series' to pick from tho, including max from Life is Strange (jk)
I think there are just way too many things working in Dragon Quest's favor to give it less than 50% SE slot or no. Long Nintendo history, huge popularity (yes even in the West IX sold over a million copies), an icon of the genre, and one that I'm sure SE is very excited to try and promote.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think there are just way too many things working in Dragon Quest's favor to give it less than 50% SE slot or no. Long Nintendo history, huge popularity (yes even in the West IX sold over a million copies), an icon of the genre, and one that I'm sure SE is very excited to try and promote.
Well, when they said dlc characters are going to be new to the series, it could also mean new companies(developpers), so possibly no other SE rep. That's just an idea tho, I dont put too much into it. Persona is an rpg too, and I kind of feel like they may want to diversify the dlc, so that the second one wouldnt be from an rpg too. I mean, that may not really matter, but i also just feel like nintendo is weird sometimes, and i'm just not willing to say that it's going to be the popular thought.

Either way I'm really looking forward to what will actually turn up. :)

NB96

Smash Rookie
Is there a reason that everybody is assuming "Brave" is the Square representative? As far as I can tell, literally the only reason is that Vergeben said there would be one, and since it wasn't the first character everybody is guessing it's the second. People saying it's Erdrick, Sora or Geno but to me it's more likely to be Tales' Yuri than anybody else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Apparently PolarPanda is saying that there will be one on Thursday
This is not true, I'll take more care before spreading misinformation. My apologies to Polar.
Is there a reason that everybody is assuming "Brave" is the Square representative? As far as I can tell, literally the only reason is that Vergeben said there would be one, and since it wasn't the first character everybody is guessing it's the second. People saying it's Erdrick, Sora, Geno but to mee it's more likely to be Tales' Yuri than anybody else.
In Dragon Quest games, the Hero class is called "Yuusha", which literally translates to "Brave", so it's kind of a put two and two together situation. However, this could just be a coincidence as well and it could be someone totally different like you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Is there a reason that everybody is assuming "Brave" is the Square representative? As far as I can tell, literally the only reason is that Vergeben said there would be one, and since it wasn't the first character everybody is guessing it's the second. People saying it's Erdrick, Sora or Geno but to me it's more likely to be Tales' Yuri than anybody else.
I think most of it comes from the leakers but it's somewhat backed by the Brave connection to Dragon Quest being the "strongest" connection anyone has found.

That said you're right, Brave could be anyone else still.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I never know where to post new things I learned, so I'll just drop this info here... I'm sure you remember the SNES datamine from a few days ago? Well, I looked thru the NSO Dec. 12th code and took notes of many things. First and foremost:
-All 22 games have an English programmable object. For instance:
_S_Breathoffire2_e, where the e stands for English. However, they just aren't used.

-Only one game has an English description, Super Mario World. 19 of the other games only have Japanese descriptions, but Super Mario World has both English and Japanese. So, it seems as though SMW is the first SNES game they wrote an English description for. Here it is:

" "META_TITLE_COMMENT_S_SuperMarioWorld_e": "There's no time for vacation when Bowser™ and his Koopalings are up to no good.\n\nDuring a vacation in Dinosaur Land, Princess Toadstool gets kidnapped and a spell is cast on the inhabitants of the island. When they stumble upon Yoshi™, a young dinosaur, Mario™ and Luigi™ learn that Bowser™ is responsible for the terrible misdeeds. Now, Yoshis are trapped in magical eggs that Bowser has hidden throughout seven castles. Many hidden paths aid Mario in making his way to Bowser's castle, completing 74 areas, and finding all 96 exits. Discover items, including a feather that gives Mario a cape that allows him to fly and a flower that lets him shoot fireballs, in layers upon layers of 2-D scrolling landscapes. You can even ride Yoshi and swallow your enemies!", "

-Super Mario All Stars and Stunt Race FX only have a single Japanese character, which translates to "Temporary". This makes me think that these 2 games will come later after the SNES gams first release. Here is an example from the code:

1. "META_TITLE_COMMENT_S_SuperMarioAllStars_j": "仮",
  2. "META_TITLE_COMMENT_S_SuperMarioAllStars_e": "S-SuperMarioAllStars_e",
-The NES originally launched with about 20 games. So my hypothesis is that the SNES will launch with the 20 games that each have descriptions already in Japanese at least, and Stunt Race + SM All Stars will come later.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I never know where to post new things I learned, so I'll just drop this info here... I'm sure you remember the SNES datamine from a few days ago? Well, I looked thru the NSO Dec. 12th code and took notes of many things. First and foremost:
_S_Breathoffire2_e, where the e stands for English. However, they just aren't used.

-Only one game has an English description, Super Mario World. 19 of the other games only have Japanese descriptions, but Super Mario World has both English and Japanese. So, it seems as though SMW is the first SNES game they wrote an English description for. Here it is:

" "META_TITLE_COMMENT_S_SuperMarioWorld_e": "There's no time for vacation when Bowser™ and his Koopalings are up to no good.\n\nDuring a vacation in Dinosaur Land, Princess Toadstool gets kidnapped and a spell is cast on the inhabitants of the island. When they stumble upon Yoshi™, a young dinosaur, Mario™ and Luigi™ learn that Bowser™ is responsible for the terrible misdeeds. Now, Yoshis are trapped in magical eggs that Bowser has hidden throughout seven castles. Many hidden paths aid Mario in making his way to Bowser's castle, completing 74 areas, and finding all 96 exits. Discover items, including a feather that gives Mario a cape that allows him to fly and a flower that lets him shoot fireballs, in layers upon layers of 2-D scrolling landscapes. You can even ride Yoshi and swallow your enemies!", "

-Super Mario All Stars and Stunt Race FX only have a single Japanese character, which translates to "Temporary". This makes me think that these 2 games will come later after the SNES gams first release. Here is an example from the code:

-The NES originally launched with about 20 games. So my hypothesis is that the SNES will launch with the 20 games that each have descriptions already in Japanese at least, and Stunt Race + SM All Stars will come later.
Does it change anything about codenames?

D

Deleted member

I have no Idea what this means, if this has something to do with SMRPG being on the SNES or Dragon quest or something.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think it's either of these things, I think its just an info dump for the SNES. Looks like it suggests some games might come later.
Maybe the general discussion thread is a bit more appropriate for that. Unless some people were looking forward to some SE games on it or something :p

Here's something I'm wondering about codenames. Were there other codenames in the data for non-dlc characters? I know there probably isn't, but what if they had some for before the official release or something. That or some for the smash 4 dlc. it could give some hints as to how they name things.

D

Deleted member

Well there was a datamine for Mario Tennis Aces that indicated upcoming content(Link is apparently joining) as well.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Well there was a datamine for Mario Tennis Aces that indicated upcoming content(Link is apparently joining) as well.
I'm pretty sure that was already debunked, the Isaac thread was talking about it earlier.

Maybe the general discussion thread is a bit more appropriate for that. Unless some people were looking forward to some SE games on it or something :p

Here's something I'm wondering about codenames. Were there other codenames in the data for non-dlc characters? I know there probably isn't, but what if they had some for before the official release or something. That or some for the smash 4 dlc. it could give some hints as to how they name things.
I think (and I'm about to start running my mouth without being 100% certain which is when I usually get in trouble) that the rest of the characters just use their name as there isn't really a need for code names. I believe the only reason the DLC this time has code names is because Roy and Ryu didn't last time and that was how they got leaked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is there gonna be a Direct on Thursday? I saw that Fatman thinks there might be one on Thursday, People have been saying Polar said there would be one on thursday, etc.

edit: Lemme Rephrase that, Do you guys believe there will be a Direct on thursday?

D

Deleted member

Well, only thing going for a direct on Thursday is the SNES leak as the Mario Tennis datamine ended up being false info.

D

Deleted member

Well, only thing going for a direct on Thursday is the SNES leak as the Mario Tennis datamine ended up being false info.
Hmm... I'm kinda doubting there's gonna be a Direct this month now. January usually has a direct but if not this week there's really only two-ish weeks left in January for a direct to happen.

ZelDan

Smash Master
You know, one thing I find kind of surprising when I really think about it is, for as long as we've heard about a SE character being in Ultimate, that I've rarely if ever seen anyone bring up a Secret of Mana rep. From what I know that game has a huge following and a crapload of people who have fond and nostalgic memories of it like other games/franchises people hope to see in Smash, and it has always been one of those games that gets brought up when the topic of classic SNES games or RPGS is brought up.

Secret of Mana also isn't even that "irrelevant" with how there was that Secret of Mana remake on Sony systems and how in Japan there was some Mana collection for the Switch. SoM was even put on the SNES classic, along with FFVI (or FFIII US), Earthbound, and SMRPG.

Now I'm sure a big reason why we haven't seen talk of SoM in recent times is thanks to the Leaked list of 7 leaked SE characters and SoM isn't on it. Even then though I think I've occasionally ran across people hoping to see characters not on the list, like 2B or Neku, but not once a SoM rep.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm gonna be really critical of Mizumi right now, but I don't really want to sound rude. I think he is causing confusion by saying the height stat doesn't matter, because it certainly does. If you line up characters by their height stat, they go in order of tallest to shortest. Isabelle is the only character who is actually barely taller than her height stat. Captain falcon is size 18, and luigi is size 15, actually. I don't know where he is getting these fake values, but it's misinforming a lot of people. Height has always been a perfect way to gauge a character's size, lol.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You know, one thing I find kind of surprising when I really think about it is, for as long as we've heard about a SE character being in Ultimate, that I've rarely if ever seen anyone bring up a Secret of Mana rep. From what I know that game has a huge following and a crapload of people who have fond and nostalgic memories of it like other games/franchises people hope to see in Smash, and it has always been one of those games that gets brought up when the topic of classic SNES games or RPGS is brought up.

Secret of Mana also isn't even that "irrelevant" with how there was that Secret of Mana remake on Sony systems and how in japan there was some Mana collection for the Switch. SoM was even put on the SNES classic, along with FFVI (or FFIII US), Earthbound, and SMRPG.

Now I'm sure a big reason why we haven't seen talk of SoM in recent times is thanks to the Leaked list of 7 leaked SE characters and SoM isn't on it. Even then though I think I've occasionally ran across people hoping to see characters not on the list, like 2B or Neku, but not once a SoM rep.
Please feel free to visit the Secret of Mana support thread, it hasn't really been seen much:
https://smashboards.com/threads/randi-primm-the-legends-and-secret-of-mana-for-smash.458008/

It's one of my favorite series' of all time :)
A lot of Square games are, actually.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm gonna be really critical of Mizumi right now, but I don't really want to sound rude. I think he is causing confusion by saying the height stat doesn't matter, because it certainly does. If you line up characters by their height stat, they go in order of tallest to shortest. Isabelle is the only character who is actually barely taller than her height stat. Captain falcon is size 18, and luigi is size 15, actually. I don't know where he is getting these fake values, but it's misinforming a lot of people. Height has always been a perfect way to gauge a character's size, lol.
That's very strange then. It makes me wonder if height really does matter more than what Mizumi is giving off. @ryumo definitely has more of an insightful view on the matter, and in the end, while I take height parameters with a grain of salt, it should still be considered, at least minutely.

Calane

Smash Ace
From what I understand, Mizumi is basically saying that the height stat only sizes an existing model up or down. It doesn't actually tell us how tall or short the model actually is.

I guess to make it more simple, the height stat only seems to make a model grow bigger or smaller, but it doesn't tell us what the model in question actually looks like. That's what it sounds like he's saying, anyway.

Untouch

Smash Master
The whole "height" argument could be put to rest by actually straight up demonstrating what changing the value does.
I'd like to see a bunch of characters at "15" height, not just one character.

If I was to make an uneducated guess, the height is a default value, that may scale the character based on something else, maybe picking up a mushroom?

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
From what I understand, Mizumi is basically saying that the height stat only sizes an existing model up or down. It doesn't actually tell us how tall or short the model actually is.

I guess to make it more simple, the height stat only seems to make a model grow bigger or smaller, but it doesn't tell us what the model in question actually looks like. That's what it sounds like he's saying, anyway.
I don't think it's a very good argument. Yes it affects the models, but it's always pretty consistent. A character at size 13 is going to be even with another character at size 13, and really at any other size. The only exception really is Isabelle, and she's only barely taller than size 12. Basically, yes it impacts models, but that's the point. It consistently affects models. If Brave is size 13, expect them to be about as tall as Ness or Lucas.

I understand what he's trying to get at, but in a way it's a sort-of non-point because height does tell us how tall the model is going to be. If you can't imagine a character being as short as Ness or Lucas, and shorter than Mario slightly, then it's probably not them.

D

Deleted member

Posted this in the brave speculation thread polar, the height value seems to be a indicating how many times the model got its size increased as some values to my knowledge seem a bit off. Bowser stat to my knowledge indicates he should be bigger than stated, also some characters have a .5 value added but others that have a slight difference in height as well don't have this extra .5 value.

My main guess has to do more about the work area and, that working on a set area for every character, smaller characters would end up being increased less and bigger characters would need to be increased more. This explanation gives why characters can be lined up but also can explain a bit of the inconsistencies.

I think that a stat that directly states the size of a character would be a bit inefficient during development time if you have multiple people working on different models at the same time. Character can be the size of Lucas or Ness but a slight variance could be expected.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think it's a very good argument. Yes it affects the models, but it's always pretty consistent. A character at size 13 is going to be even with another character at size 13, and really at any other size. The only exception really is Isabelle, and she's only barely taller than size 12. Basically, yes it impacts models, but that's the point. It consistently affects models. If Brave is size 13, expect them to be about as tall as Ness or Lucas.

I understand what he's trying to get at, but in a way it's a sort-of non-point because height does tell us how tall the model is going to be. If you can't imagine a character being as short as Ness or Lucas, and shorter than Mario slightly, then it's probably not them.
Well, see now we're back with this. It was talked about a bit in the brave thread, but I'm still wondering about it. Do you happen to know the height number for all the characters? When mizumi showed falcon and ike, what's your take on it?

Calane

Smash Ace

Well now I'm just confused. I guess Mizumi doesn't know what he's talking about?

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't we find out how height works by setting multiple characters to the same value and then doing a height comparison?

Like, take Mario's height and then apply that to several very different characters and see if they're the exact same height.
(Also if you do do this, please provide images of all of them so we don't have to go by word-of-mouth alone)

Top Bottom