• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We talking about spreading misinformation? I thought about posting this here but decided not to, but if it's pertinent to the conversation, I'll post this for y'all's reading pleasure.
We Never Saw It Coming: The Game Awards as a Case Study for Doubt

Hello everyone, and welcome to the second in a series of speculation posts written by your's truly. Last time I wrote about the hot buzz surrounding a potential Square Enix character joining the fight, and this time I'll be writing about The Game Awards (in much less words) and arguing that we should all be more critical towards insider information regardless of how reputable a given insider is. So, lets get right into it!
  • I feel that before I write anything I should first voice that in writing this I do not intend to demean or slander anyone's character. If I come across that way, then it's nothing more than a failure of my writing and not an outright attack.
  • Of course, this is speculation. I am not an absolute authority nor will I ever be. I'm simply a fan with a good mind for speculation who likes to put that to use.
To sum it briefly, Doritos Pope delivered:

In more detail:
June 16, 2018
Reggie and Geoff Keighley play Mario Tennis at E3 2018, and Reggie hints at a special reveal at The Game Awards 2018 (first 20 seconds of the Twitter video).

September 26, 2018
Reggie wears a Metroid shirt under his suit in a picture with Geoff Keighley. The picture is posted on Twitter with the caption "See you in December!" Fans speculate that Metroid Prime 4 will be shown off at The Game Awards.

October 24, 2018
In the midst of the Grinch Hoax, Spawn Wave drops a hint about Sora being revealed for Smash Bros. at The Game Awards. Fans speculate that a Smash Bros. reveal may occur at The Game Awards.

November 1, 2018
In the Final Smash Bros. Direct, Piranha Plant 5 unknown DLC fighters are announced. Fans begin to speculate who the unknown fighters could be.

~November 2, 2018
Reputable Leaker Vergeben states that the Square Enix character will be the first DLC character revealed. (Source 2)

November 6, 2018
Sakurai confirms on Twitter that the DLC fighter selection is complete, saying that "This time the selection (of characters) was made entirely by Nintendo." Fans begin to despair about what this could mean.

November 14, 2018
Reputable Leaker Spawn Wave teases an upcoming Metroid Prime reveal. Fans assume that this means a Metroid Prime 4 trailer at The Game Awards.

November 25, 2018
Spawn Wave hints again at Metroid Prime being revealed at The Game Awards.

November 26, 2018
Spawn Wave drops another hint about an upcoming Metroid Prime reveal.

Concurrently, our own PolarPanda begins to drop information about the Square Enix character. He, Fatmanonice, and Rummy continue to drop details leading up to The Game Awards with the assumed payoff that the Square Enix rep will be the first character revealed there.

November 30, 2018
@BoundaryBreak posts a clip of the June 16 video to Twitter. Fans begin to hype up.

December 4, 2018
Spawn Wave continues to hint at a Metroid Prime reveal.

Swedish retailer Inet lists a Metroid Prime Trilogy for Nintendo Switch on their store front. People take it as a soft confirmation; Metroid Prime at The Game Awards is all but confirmed.

December 5, 2018
Spawn Wave drops one final hint towards a Metroid Prime reveal at The Game Awards.

Fatmanonice, privy to the same information as PolarPanda and his sources, tells the Geno thread not to expect a Smash Bros. reveal at The Game Awards.

Reputable insider Ryce says not to expect a DLC reveal "for another month or two."

December 6, 2018
Joker from Persona 5 is revealed as a playable character at The Game Awards, and Metroid Prime does not make any appearance.

Following the Game Awards, PolarPanda remarks that what was implied to happen to his source did not happen.
The idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is one that I helped popularize to the point where it became a main point for the Grinch Hoax ("Incineroar is leak bait!") and I regretted it. It's a hypothetical scenario that's difficult to prove, but I believe that the scenario surrounding The Game Awards proves that, at the very least, the idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is on the table.

Spawn Wave was known for a perfect streak of leaks, and Panda's source was verified by multiple Smashboards moderators and veteran community members, proving that they have actual insider information. For all intents and purposes, they should've have had correct information, but they didn't. Everything pointed towards Metroid Prime, yet instead we get Joker in Smash Bros. Essentially, this shows that Nintendo is capable of spreading misinformation, and more importantly, they know where to spread misinformation. Therefore, regardless of how many sources a person has, their conjecture should be taken as that until proven otherwise

Granted, the Video Game Awards is an event that Nintendo is a part of and not something run by Nintendo, so the misinformation could've been due to Geoff Keighly and co. instead of Nintendo, similar to the circumstances surrounding the Square Enix rep, but this is the third known use of misinformation during Smash Bros. DLC speculation (the first being the Square Enix rep, and the second being the fake list of characters obtained by Hitagi and co.). As Poet Jade Ivy said:
Smash Bros. DLC speculation is a different beast from main speculation entirely. We don't have playtesters to leak everything, nor can we truly rely on insiders to give us information. I believe its time we break the cycle of speculation wherein we engage with different insiders (Vergeben, loz18, Spawn Wave, PolarPanda and co., etc.), take their word as gospel, and then cast them to the side when their time in the light is finished. Instead, I encourage a return to speculation wherein insiders are treated more as potential points in an argument moreso than otherworldly beings speaking the word of God. PolarPanda has been doing a good job of creating an environment wherein this is true, but I believe that we as a community ought to step it up ourselves, as I see Polar's words being misconstrued and fit to other narratives even when he makes a point to discourage that.

At this point, DLC is anyone's game, and it seems that even insiders are along for the ride with us. So how about instead of worrying, we just all enjoy the ride?

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Nah youre fine. Im the type of person that believes most characters definitely have a chance. And I think Geno has been hyped up too much by nintendo to not have at least his costume back in there. I see big things for Geno happening, if not this year then next.

But at the end of the day, Im going to have to give Sora the most popular character award. Simply because most people who dont really play games are more likely to know who sora is over Geno.

Lol either way, with a character like Joker being confirmed for dlc I would say it really doesnt matter who is more popular or not. I think we'll find out eventually that theres some cross promotion going on there tho.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know if this has been talked about, but an interview with Reggie Fils-amie came out that has interesting implications for the square rep. Regarding the process of obtaining characters for smash bros. he said

"I personally have not been involved in those discussions, but as I have talked with Mr. Sakurai and others in the development area I’ve never heard of a story where we’ve been turned down as we pursued a particular character."

This isn't completely definitive, but it would seem to suggest that

a) the "Geno and Sephiroth are the finalists and Sora was turned down" thing is fake.
b) the reason Geno was not added in Brawl and Smash 4 was on Nintendo's end and not Square's
and c) the whole "The company would want to push a different character" argument is pointless.

Link to the article
I considered the first possibility (the rumor was fake anyways though), but didn't consider the other two at all. B is the most interesting idea, given that Sakurai has voiced how he wants to have Geno in the game. While most think Square Enix simply doesn't want to play, what if it's actually Nintendo? I doubt that, however, as Nintendo largely lets Sakurai do as he pleases with Smash Bros., so they likely wouldn't veto Geno.
I don't know how more clear I can make Geno's popularity then saying "he literally got a Mii Costume and a namedrop twice for how supported he was"
Can we stop acting like Geno's some unknown echo chamber want because he simply isn't at this point and his overall popularity in the SMASH FANDOM at least overpowers Sora's.

If this comes off as aggressive, apologies.
I was going to argue against this, but then I took a serious look at this and realized that this is all true and I can't argue against it.

Geno is truly the oddest case of a character for Smash Bros.. I hope Sakurai writes about him in his biography if he makes one.

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
We talking about spreading misinformation? I thought about posting this here but decided not to, but if it's pertinent to the conversation, I'll post this for y'all's reading pleasure.
We Never Saw It Coming: The Game Awards as a Case Study for Doubt

Hello everyone, and welcome to the second in a series of speculation posts written by your's truly. Last time I wrote about the hot buzz surrounding a potential Square Enix character joining the fight, and this time I'll be writing about The Game Awards (in much less words) and arguing that we should all be more critical towards insider information regardless of how reputable a given insider is. So, lets get right into it!
  • I feel that before I write anything I should first voice that in writing this I do not intend to demean or slander anyone's character. If I come across that way, then it's nothing more than a failure of my writing and not an outright attack.
  • Of course, this is speculation. I am not an absolute authority nor will I ever be. I'm simply a fan with a good mind for speculation who likes to put that to use.
To sum it briefly, Doritos Pope delivered:

In more detail:
June 16, 2018
Reggie and Geoff Keighley play Mario Tennis at E3 2018, and Reggie hints at a special reveal at The Game Awards 2018 (first 20 seconds of the Twitter video).

September 26, 2018
Reggie wears a Metroid shirt under his suit in a picture with Geoff Keighley. The picture is posted on Twitter with the caption "See you in December!" Fans speculate that Metroid Prime 4 will be shown off at The Game Awards.

October 24, 2018
In the midst of the Grinch Hoax, Spawn Wave drops a hint about Sora being revealed for Smash Bros. at The Game Awards. Fans speculate that a Smash Bros. reveal may occur at The Game Awards.

November 1, 2018
In the Final Smash Bros. Direct, Piranha Plant 5 unknown DLC fighters are announced. Fans begin to speculate who the unknown fighters could be.

~November 2, 2018
Reputable Leaker Vergeben states that the Square Enix character will be the first DLC character revealed. (Source 2)

November 6, 2018
Sakurai confirms on Twitter that the DLC fighter selection is complete, saying that "This time the selection (of characters) was made entirely by Nintendo." Fans begin to despair about what this could mean.

November 14, 2018
Reputable Leaker Spawn Wave teases an upcoming Metroid Prime reveal. Fans assume that this means a Metroid Prime 4 trailer at The Game Awards.

November 25, 2018
Spawn Wave hints again at Metroid Prime being revealed at The Game Awards.

November 26, 2018
Spawn Wave drops another hint about an upcoming Metroid Prime reveal.

Concurrently, our own PolarPanda begins to drop information about the Square Enix character. He, Fatmanonice, and Rummy continue to drop details leading up to The Game Awards with the assumed payoff that the Square Enix rep will be the first character revealed there.

November 30, 2018
@BoundaryBreak posts a clip of the June 16 video to Twitter. Fans begin to hype up.

December 4, 2018
Spawn Wave continues to hint at a Metroid Prime reveal.

Swedish retailer Inet lists a Metroid Prime Trilogy for Nintendo Switch on their store front. People take it as a soft confirmation; Metroid Prime at The Game Awards is all but confirmed.

December 5, 2018
Spawn Wave drops one final hint towards a Metroid Prime reveal at The Game Awards.

Fatmanonice, privy to the same information as PolarPanda and his sources, tells the Geno thread not to expect a Smash Bros. reveal at The Game Awards.

Reputable insider Ryce says not to expect a DLC reveal "for another month or two."

December 6, 2018
Joker from Persona 5 is revealed as a playable character at The Game Awards, and Metroid Prime does not make any appearance.

Following the Game Awards, PolarPanda remarks that what was implied to happen to his source did not happen.
The idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is one that I helped popularize to the point where it became a main point for the Grinch Hoax ("Incineroar is leak bait!") and I regretted it. It's a hypothetical scenario that's difficult to prove, but I believe that the scenario surrounding The Game Awards proves that, at the very least, the idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is on the table.

Spawn Wave was known for a perfect streak of leaks, and Panda's source was verified by multiple Smashboards moderators and veteran community members, proving that they have actual insider information. For all intents and purposes, they should've have had correct information, but they didn't. Everything pointed towards Metroid Prime, yet instead we get Joker in Smash Bros. Essentially, this shows that Nintendo is capable of spreading misinformation, and more importantly, they know where to spread misinformation. Therefore, regardless of how many sources a person has, their conjecture should be taken as that until proven otherwise

Granted, the Video Game Awards is an event that Nintendo is a part of and not something run by Nintendo, so the misinformation could've been due to Geoff Keighly and co. instead of Nintendo, similar to the circumstances surrounding the Square Enix rep, but this is the third known use of misinformation during Smash Bros. DLC speculation (the first being the Square Enix rep, and the second being the fake list of characters obtained by Hitagi and co.). As Poet Jade Ivy said:
Smash Bros. DLC speculation is a different beast from main speculation entirely. We don't have playtesters to leak everything, nor can we truly rely on insiders to give us information. I believe its time we break the cycle of speculation wherein we engage with different insiders (Vergeben, loz18, Spawn Wave, PolarPanda and co., etc.), take their word as gospel, and then cast them to the side when their time in the light is finished. Instead, I encourage a return to speculation wherein insiders are treated more as potential points in an argument moreso than otherworldly beings speaking the word of God. PolarPanda has been doing a good job of creating an environment wherein this is true, but I believe that we as a community ought to step it up ourselves, as I see Polar's words being misconstrued and fit to other narratives even when he makes a point to discourage that.

At this point, DLC is anyone's game, and it seems that even insiders are along for the ride with us. So how about instead of worrying, we just all enjoy the ride?
You pretty much summed up basically everything I already thought about the whole speculation of DLC compared to the base game as well as the credibility of anything from anyone regarding DLC, which I always suspected no one actually knew anything about. Even after the whole Verge "leak" list debacle since they had to use a "list" to begin with if they actually knew anything there wouldn't be a list it'd be narrowed down to one character. What I'm saying is that the leak lacked confidence in itself as apposed to previous leaks that were pretty straight forward and to the point. The whole thing screamed less insider know how and more speculative thought on who it could be. All of which was confirmed to me when Joker was announced if they truly knew anything regarding the DLC at this point they would have predicted him but not a single "credible" leaker did. That in my opinion proves no one actually knows what's gonna be in DLC for Ultimate and anything anyone says is probably speculation and or baiting for 10 seconds of internet fame.

Untouch

Smash Master
Both Nintendo and DQ are gonna be at Jump Festa along with info on the DQ 11 Switch port. Might be something worth looking into.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_d...ash-bros-ultimate-east-and-west-japan-leagues

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/jf19/stage/

Note the "Special guest" bit. I don't think anything is likely but it's worth following at least.
As someone who thinks DQ will be DLC, this is likely Toriyama, Jump is a Manga/Anime festival afterall.
Bringing Sakurai out would be too obvious.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
As someone who thinks DQ will be DLC, this is likely Toriyama, Jump is a Manga/Anime festival afterall.
Bringing Sakurai out would be too obvious.
Yeah, as much as it would make sense, it just seems way too obvious of a place to reveal something Smash related there. Besides, we all thought that DQ would get revealed at the Game Awards and look at how that turned up, and Dragon Quest was nominated for a category this year, it would've made sense there too.

I doubt anything Smash is going to come from there. The only news I can see happening at that event is maybe a release date for DQ XI for Switch would be nice to reveal, I would be fine with that.

Last edited:

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
I put all of 0% value to "leaks", so many "credible" sources were all over the internet, not a single one predicted that Joker was going to be the first dlc or even in the game. But i'm more and more doubtful of any of these as each day passes.

Crono and/or Geno would be freaking sweet, Crono with the card saga wars moveset would be perfect.
But for Crono, people would complain "Oh great, another anime sword wielder...."

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
Personally, I think Slime has the biggest chances for another Square rep. He's ridiculously well-known in Japan. Not many people there don't know the character, believe it or not. It would make the perfect push for DQ in the west, and it's also been a mainstay on Nintendo consoles. Square would likely push this series the most, and could even be less stingy this time around (Don't hold your breath though). DQ has also crossed over with Mario in that board game for the Wii (Not sure of the title for you Americans, but over here it was called Boom Street).

Overall, a famous gaming icon that can stand out in the crowd with a variety of moves to pull from has a great chance to make it to the roster. The only issue is popularity.

Had it my way though, we'd get Sora.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Personally, I think Slime has the biggest chances for another Square rep. He's ridiculously well-known in Japan. Not many people there don't know the character, believe it or not. It would make the perfect push for DQ in the west, and it's also been a mainstay on Nintendo consoles. Square would likely push this series the most, and could even be less stingy this time around (Don't hold your breath though). DQ has also crossed over with Mario in that board game for the Wii (Not sure of the title for you Americans, but over here it was called Boom Street).

Overall, a famous gaming icon that can stand out in the crowd with a variety of moves to pull from has a great chance to make it to the roster. The only issue is popularity.

Had it my way though, we'd get Sora.
Sakurai's not going to go for a mook/mascot over a main character. If we got Moogle or Chocobo instead of Cloud there'd be an argument, but we got Cloud so there's no precedent for something like this.

I'm telling ya'll we'll get a character named "Hero" that draws from all of the Dragon Quest games.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That interview with Reggie saying he never head of anyone saying no when they pursue a certain characters and Sakurai talking about how Smash went beyond the "Nintendo-All Star" limits really makes me think that Sora and Sephiroth might actually have a legit chances.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That interview with Reggie saying he never head of anyone saying no when they pursue a certain characters and Sakurai talking about how Smash when beyond the "Nintendo-All Star" limits really makes me think that Sora and Sephiroth might actually have a legit chances.
It bodes well for any "unlikely" third party really.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It bodes well for any "unlikely" third party really.
What it also shows is that they never pursued for Geno too. Because if they did, he would be in the game, which really put him in an interesting perspective

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
Sakurai's not going to go for a mook/mascot over a main character. If we got Moogle or Chocobo instead of Cloud there'd be an argument, but we got Cloud so there's no precedent for something like this.

I'm telling ya'll we'll get a character named "Hero" that draws from all of the Dragon Quest games.
Sakurai recently said in an interview the reason he added Piranha Plant was because the roster had too many protagonists/main role characters. I feel choosing, say, Erdrick may cause community backlash because "No more weebs Sakurai" is apparenty a growing argument. I just think he'll favour something more iconic, Slime being that character.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What it also shows is that they never pursued for Geno too. Because if they did, he would be in the game, which really put him in an interesting perspective
But there's my question.

Sakurai has stated that he's wanted Geno since Brawl, and that he's a popular pick among fans. So then WHY is he not in the game already? What's blocking his inclusion? We assume that it's Square Enix, but what if it's Nintendo? If it is, then what reason would Nintendo have to block Geno?
Sakurai recently said in an interview the reason he added Piranha Plant was because the roster had too many protagonists/main role characters. I feel choosing, say, Erdrick may cause community backlash because "No more weebs Sakurai" is apparenty a growing argument. I just think he'll favour something more iconic, Slime being that character.
>Thinking Sakurai would care about the small amount of community backlash he'd get for adding in a DQ Hero

If Sakurai cares about community backlash, he would've added Geno or Waluigi instead of Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But there's my question.

Sakurai has stated that he's wanted Geno since Brawl, and that he's a popular pick among fans. So then WHY is he not in the game already? What's blocking his inclusion? We assume that it's Square Enix, but what if it's Nintendo? If it is, then what reason would Nintendo have to block Geno?
Geno doesn't really promote anything new. He's been in only one game: a somewhat obscure SNES game.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Geno doesn't really promote anything new. He's been in only one game: a somewhat obscure SNES game.
But why would Nintendo care about that when characters such as Ice Climbers or Pit* only have one game (*Pit only had one at the time of Brawl)? Or Snake, who promoted a series primarily on a competitor's console?

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
>Thinking Sakurai would care about the small amount of community backlash he'd get for adding in a DQ Hero

If Sakurai cares about community backlash, he would've added Geno or Waluigi instead of Piranha Plant.[/QUOTE]

Okay, but the interview details? A DQ hero would definitely please the fans, but how many of them are in the Smash community? Would it really outnumber the attention raised by Slime? Sakurai can be a fan pleaser, but I dont think he'd go THAT obscure and left-field. I feel more people could be pleased/intrigued by Slime, especially on the Japan side.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But there's my question.

Honestly, probably Nintendo.

However, Geno, in all interview, it was said he was a popular pick among fans AND OLD CHARACTERS which really means that MAYBE Geno's popularity is here, but in a niches spot of "Old characters"
But then you can say that K.Rool is in and fulfill that role too. Yes but, apparently, K.Rool's support in the ballot was so big (ah, get it?) that it literally gave him a free pass from Sakurai's interview.

Why would Nintendo put a characters with no future except to please the fan?
What would they win in terms of marketing?
Heck, it's not even a question of marketing anymore with the inclusion of Joker (except if P5 is on switch)
It's a question of gaming history.
But if you look at the list of 7, who hold more history than Geno?
More gaming history in general?
Literally everyone besides him

The past few interview really makes me think that, actually, it won't be a question of JUST fan demands, but Wide appeals AND Gaming history as a whole.

>Sell 2million
>Somewhat Obscure
>A mario game
>Somewhat obscure

That's not it chief

Counter point, Joker was choosen to be the Atlus/SMT/Persona rep and not jack-frost.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Counter point, Joker was choosen to be the Atlus/SMT/Persona rep and not jack-frost.
Considering Crash Bandicoot has been on the switch and is far more popular in general than Joker, I’m concerned where the rest of dlc is headed.

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
While that is a solid argument, I believe Joker was added for his high relevance and rivalry to Breath of the Wild at the previous Game Awards. That's simply my speculation though.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Considering Crash Bandicoot has been on the switch and is far more popular in general than Joker, I’m concerned where the rest of dlc is headed.
Take a big gun first to surprise everyone.
Keep the whole weaponry for last.

The DLC's needs "legs" to make sure we keep talking about Smash bros. Joker is extremely famous and have wide appeal now. But it wouldn't be logical to bring the "big surprise" already. I fully expect someone bigger than Joker at E3, or near the end of the Fighter pass.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
There's a really huge chance Joker is able to summon at least 2 more demons other than Arsene in his moveset

And Jack Frost is a likely candidate for one of them

Huge missed opportunity to not hit two mascots with one stone

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Geno is a fan favorite. That's it. Adding him would only please hardcore Smash fans.

D

Deleted member

Take a big gun first to surprise everyone.
Keep the whole weaponry for last.

The DLC's needs "legs" to make sure we keep talking about Smash bros. Joker is extremely famous and have wide appeal now. But it wouldn't be logical to bring the "big surprise" already. I fully expect someone bigger than Joker at E3, or near the end of the Fighter pass.
Honestly I’m starting to think Banjo might be announced at E3.
On the big gun thing, what’s interesting to me is that they chose Joker to be the one at TGA. He likely isn’t the biggest name in the pack, but what it does seem to imply to me at least is that the second character might be a bit less popular/obscure. If we’re to think Square is the second character, then that might bode well for Geno and maybe Crono and DQ

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wouldn't be surprised if the Square Enix character is our E3 reveal. It just fits.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Geno is a fan favorite. That's it. Adding him would only please hardcore Smash fans.
Yeah the "hardcore Smash fans" who loved him enough to get him a Mii costume, a Spirit, an Icon, numerous name-drops by Sakurai
I'm tired of it. I am SO tired of this "HE'S NICHEEEE" bull****. Can we just cut it out and accept that Geno is actually popular? I bought this up last night and I'm going to keep bringing it up.

Honestly, probably Nintendo.

However, Geno, in all interview, it was said he was a popular pick among fans AND OLD CHARACTERS which really means that MAYBE Geno's popularity is here, but in a niches spot of "Old characters"
But then you can say that K.Rool is in and fulfill that role too. Yes but, apparently, K.Rool's support in the ballot was so big (ah, get it?) that it literally gave him a free pass from Sakurai's interview.

Why would Nintendo put a characters with no future except to please the fan?
What would they win in terms of marketing?
Heck, it's not even a question of marketing anymore with the inclusion of Joker (except if P5 is on switch)
It's a question of gaming history.
But if you look at the list of 7, who hold more history than Geno?
More gaming history in general?
Literally everyone besides him

The past few interview really makes me think that, actually, it won't be a question of JUST fan demands, but Wide appeals AND Gaming history as a whole.

>Sell 2million
>Somewhat Obscure
>A mario game
>Somewhat obscure

That's not it chief

I dunno man. Nintendo has never really restrained Sakurai from what I understand. They seem to know he knows what he's doing and let him play, and it works.
Plus wouldn't that still fall under Sakurai not getting a character he was pursuing?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I think it's because all of the Squenix 7 (really 4, maybe 5 if you count Sora) are E3 worthy in their own rights.
Yeah, but didn’t Verge say square would be first for dlc? Hasn’t he never been wrong before in this smash speculation cycle? I’ll let that sink in along with the fact that him being wrong is basically saying there won’t be another square rep.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, but didn’t Verge say square would be first for dlc? Hasn’t he never been wrong before in this smash speculation cycle? I’ll let that sink in along with the fact that him being wrong is basically saying there won’t be another square rep.
I'ma let it sink in that Verge is one of countless people saying there's a Squenix rep lol

D

Deleted member

TONS of leakers/insiders are saying something about a SE rep, though it was likely all calculated if you consider how long the Joker trailer probably took to make.
I wouldn't throw the possibility out just yet. I also believe that SE will want a DLC character as payback for having Cloud in the base game lol

Untouch

Smash Master
I have to wonder if Joker was picked as the first character so he could promote and encourage people to buy the pass, and if the rest of the DLC is going to be a bit more "controversial" (not bad. just how people reacted to Piranha Plant).

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Ah ha! Excellent! More Geno bashing! What argument are we on today fellas? Geno is irrelevant?
Haha...well, jokes on you, because people have actually been defending his chances in the last page. How about you read the posts instead of assuming what you may think is going on. It just seem like you just skim when it comes to this thread. I know your iffy on people and their thoughts on Geno, but you need to calm down. Every time you come on here, you're always so sensitive! Defend him, defend his pros and cons like everyone else is doing, don't just respond to the negative ****! Come debate, that's what this whole thread is for!

As long as you believe in his chances, no one else opinions should really matter to you, but everytime you come on this thread you always go off on other Square characters chances, but have a foot on someone who seems to "slander" Geno. It's a GENERAL DISCUSSION on EVERY Square character that was on the list. They all should have their pros and cons to be talked about. It's not a bash Geno/or go off on every Squrare character thread! :rolleyes:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I am glad to see that Geno and Sora are the highest voted character's in the poll above, as those two are who I believe it's down to, all things considered.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
But why would Nintendo care about that when characters such as Ice Climbers or Pit* only have one game (*Pit only had one at the time of Brawl)? Or Snake, who promoted a series primarily on a competitor's console?
Okay, but here's the thing.

Ice Climbers and Pit are first-party Nintendo characters, meaning there aren't any real barriers to getting them into Smash since they're all owned by Nintendo.

Geno is not. He is 100% a third-party character, and from a company that has proven itself to be notoriously stingy with its content representation in regards to Smash.

Third-party characters are on a completely pedestal when compared to first-party characters.

NineS

Smash Lord
I've been dead for quite some time since smash was leaked, and I will continue to be as I'm still playing it...
So I may be late to the party, and I'm likely only dropping by..

But have you discussed this?

The clicking the image will send you to the source article, if you're interested, but putting that aside for now...

What catches my eye is the second to last bit of what Reggie says, "These are characters that are new to the series..."
What do you all think he means by that?

Do you think he's referring to the obvious fact that these characters will be characters that have never been fighters in smash before?
Or do you all believe he's saying that the rest of the 4 DLC characters will be characters that have never appeared in any Smash in any shape or form before (Assist Trophies, Stickers, Trophies, Spirits, Cameo on a stage, cameo on a trophy, etc.)?

Would this be a blow towards Geno's chances of being in?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Do you think he's referring to the obvious fact that these characters will be characters that have never been fighters in smash before?
Or do you all believe he's saying that the rest of the 4 DLC characters will be characters that have never appeared in any Smash in any shape or form before (Assist Trophies, Stickers, Trophies, Spirits, Cameo on a stage, cameo on a trophy, etc.)?

Would this be a blow towards Geno's chances of being in?
My bois Sceptile and Crash are still in this, let’s go! But if that’s what he meant then rip Shantae, Tetra, Impa, Leon Powalski, Flygon, Tom Nook, and tons of my other favorites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom