• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

I've been dead for quite some time since smash was leaked, and I will continue to be as I'm still playing it...
So I may be late to the party, and I'm likely only dropping by..

But have you discussed this?

The clicking the image will send you to the source article, if you're interested, but putting that aside for now...

What catches my eye is the second to last bit of what Reggie says, "These are characters that are new to the series..."
What do you all think he means by that?

Do you think he's referring to the obvious fact that these characters will be characters that have never been fighters in smash before?
Or do you all believe he's saying that the rest of the 4 DLC characters will be characters that have never appeared in any Smash in any shape or form before (Assist Trophies, Stickers, Trophies, Spirits, Cameo on a stage, cameo on a trophy, etc.)?

Would this be a blow towards Geno's chances of being in?
I really think people are looking too deep into it. It's just marketing jargon, of course the characters are going to be new FIGHTERS.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

The clicking the image will send you to the source article, if you're interested, but putting that aside for now...

What catches my eye is the second to last bit of what Reggie says, "These are characters that are new to the series..."

Do you think he's referring to the obvious fact that these characters will be characters that have never been fighters in smash before?
Or do you all believe he's saying that the rest of the 4 DLC characters will be characters that have never appeared in any Smash in any shape or form before (Assist Trophies, Stickers, Trophies, Spirits, Cameo on a stage, cameo on a trophy, etc.)?

This quote has been talked about at nauseam since the Game Awards, I think he just means characters that are new to the series that's never been represented before. Which still means in general, we don't know if it means, spirits that are used in the game (again this doesn't really say much for Spirit characters). We are still back at Square 1 when it comes to those that are just a spirit. I don't think it means anything when it comes to those guys.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But there's my question.

Sakurai has stated that he's wanted Geno since Brawl, and that he's a popular pick among fans. So then WHY is he not in the game already? What's blocking his inclusion? We assume that it's Square Enix, but what if it's Nintendo? If it is, then what reason would Nintendo have to block Geno?

>Thinking Sakurai would care about the small amount of community backlash he'd get for adding in a DQ Hero

If Sakurai cares about community backlash, he would've added Geno or Waluigi instead of Piranha Plant.
I think Sakurai, for all he loves Geno, is the kind of guy who really doesn’t want to be biased, so even if he likes the character he’ll go for the one that fits his vision of the game better; and it’s become clear that his vision for Smash is for it to be a crossover of the greats of gaming.

Plus, while he appears to acknowledge Geno’s popularity, maybe he’s not aware of the full extent of it? He certainly has shown a disconnect with what fans want.

Ah ha! Excellent! More Geno bashing! What argument are we on today fellas? Geno is irrelevant?
You got anything to actually say or are you just here to tell people to agree with you?
I've been dead for quite some time since smash was leaked, and I will continue to be as I'm still playing it...

It’s probably the latter.

I really think people are looking too deep into it. It's just marketing jargon, of course the characters are going to be new FIGHTERS.
He didn’t say new fighters, he just said new. If he meant new fighters he would have said so.

D

Deleted member

Slime is the most recognizable character of The Seven because it estabilished a whole type of video game mooks that extend beyond just Dragon Quest, being recreated in many games, including some represented in Smash such as Pokemon with Muk or Zelda with Chuchus. This is a feat that, out of those in the list, only Sephiroth can claim by naming the One-Winged Angel trope. While one could argue that Dragon Quest, and many other RPGs of its kind, doesn't focus on the enemies themselves, one can't deny they're one of the most important aspects of those games, as they serve as the first obstacles any player will face and their teachers from whom players learn the fundamentals of combat. And such role is one that no mook in any RPG could ever represent so well as Slime. In this essay I will--

D

Deleted member

Slime is the most recognizable character of The Seven because it estabilished a whole type of video game mooks that extend beyond just Dragon Quest, being recreated in many games, including some represented in Smash such as Pokemon with Muk or Zelda with Chuchus. This is a feat that, out of those in the list, only Sephiroth can claim by naming the One-Winged Angel trope. While one could argue that Dragon Quest, and many other RPGs of its kind, doesn't focus on the enemies themselves, one can't deny they're one of the most important aspects of those games, as they serve as the first obstacles any player will face and their teachers from whom players learn the fundamentals of combat. And such role is one that no mook in any RPG could ever represent so well as Slime. In this essay I will--
Dont forget about Rocket Slime now... lol

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If we go by iconess

-Slime (just like you said)
-Sephiroth (Tropes of the bad guy, One winged-Angel angel yadda yadda)
-Sora (Dude's the cloud of this generation)
-Crono
-Erdrick/Geno

That would be my ranking

TriggerX

Smash Ace

I had to rewatch the video just to confirm.....but yea, Im taking it as these characters are new to the series in general. If that is the case, kinda kills any chance for Geno being part of the 5 character pack. Kills a lot of theories tho. Porky? That Earthbound character would be a no go. Waluigi would be out. etc.

Idk, you cant always take interviews like this word for word. So many developers,artists, and directors can sometimes not know the game they are involved with 100%.

Now if we were to take his words as true, this doesnt really help narrow down the square character. It does let us know that Geno isnt going to be part of the original dlc that was planned. But I still have hopes on him being some kind of exception some how.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Now if we were to take his words as true, this doesnt really help narrow down the square character. It does let us know that Geno isnt going to be part of the original dlc that was planned. But I still have hopes on him being some kind of exception some how.
If we took his words as true, then my legendary PlayStation bois Crash and Spyro both have a really good chance.

D

Deleted member

It's 3 AM and I'm melting from the heat but this came to me in a vision
Seven_(movie)_poster_2.png

TriggerX

Smash Ace
If we took his words as true, then my legendary PlayStation bois Crash and Spyro both have a really good chance.
I wouldnt say their chances were really that low. Crash is iconic to representing the rivalry nintendo has and had with sony in the past.
And he has plenty of games on nintendo systems to justify his inclusion.

Problem I find with Crash right now, is that his rights I believe are held by Activision. Which is Blizzard. Which isnt a big deal, but now i feel like he'd be competing with Tracer from Overwatch. If Overwatch gets a switch port, then I dont think Crash stands a chance.

Tracer from Overwatch is pretty much what Joker is in my opinion.Unexpected, new to the series, and potentially some promotion could be synched with it.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Tracer from Overwatch is pretty much what Joker is in my opinion.Unexpected, new to the series, and potentially some promotion could be synched with it
If tracer got added then I will officially quit smash, as it seems mild autism will have finally leaked its way in. Smash Ultimate? More like Trash Ultimate at that point.

D

Deleted member

If tracer got added then I will officially quit smash, as it seems mild autism will have finally leaked its way in. Smash Ultimate? More like Trash Ultimate at that point.
God I'm hoping Tracer is in so badly right now

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Not at all that's how I feel about this list lmao.
Like I just don't want slime he's the only one unless its rocket but it's not gonna be it'll be slime I just think they could put every DQ protagonist In the game they basically all the same anyways lol

D

Deleted member

Tracer would be lame imo
Is it bad that I want them all lol
Nah that’s understandable. They’re all pretty cool in their own right. Of course, I’m biased so there’s some I wouldn’t be a super huge fan of but I can understand why people want them.

This is exactly what the community does, tho; they look into **** way too deeply. Assuming he didn't just simply mean new fighters is a large leap in logic.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Anything new regarding leaks/rumors?

I did see it said that, within insider circles, Sephiroth is seen as being on the same level as Sora (not going to be in), but I don't know if it's true or not.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Anything new regarding leaks/rumors?

I did see it said that, within insider circles, Sephiroth is seen as being on the same level as Sora (not going to be in), but I don't know if it's true or not.
No one is really taking leaks as seriously anymore especially since Nintendo kept Joker under wraps. I would highly advise not to trust leakers for this dlc season as it’s a different ballgame than base game.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I find the strange part of this whole thing that Vergeben knew of a Square Enix DLC character. As if they have been planned much earlier than expected. Certainly PP and Joker must have been in the works as well but the Square Enix character has at least been floating around or been agreed upon during the game's development cycle.

Do we even still take the 7 names being passed around as a sign? What about Sora being out and Geno not to be taken seriously? Is this character just a white elephant due to the Cloud being wanted as DLC talk? Where do we draw the line on what Insiders know and don't know regarding DLC.

Untouch

Smash Master
I find the strange part of this whole thing that Vergeben knew of a Square Enix DLC character. As if they have been planned much earlier than expected. Certainly PP and Joker must have been in the works as well but the Square Enix character has at least been floating around or been agreed upon during the game's development cycle.

Do we even still take the 7 names being passed around as a sign? What about Sora being out and Geno not to be taken seriously? Is this character just a white elephant due to the Cloud being wanted as DLC talk? Where do we draw the line on what Insiders know and don't know regarding DLC.
The fact that all the "leakers" don't know who's actually in, to me, suggests that the names on the list are characters Square Enix told to employees to try and flush out inside leakers.
I don't think the names mean TOO much, but I think it does say that Square Enix is one of the companies who has a character.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
It's 3 AM and I'm melting from the heat but this came to me in a vision
View attachment 182826
Sephiroth is gluttony, since FF7 is already in smash. Luminary is greed, advertising DQXI. Erdrick is sloth because his moveset is pretty much already in smash. Slime is wrath because "Really? A literal generic mook?" Sora is pride because tetsuya loves him and he's friends with sakurai. Geno is lust because he's been wanted for so long. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sephiroth is gluttony, since FF7 is already in smash. Luminary is greed, advertising DQXI. Erdrick is sloth because his moveset is pretty much already in smash. Slime is wrath because "Really? A literal generic mook?" Sora is pride because tetsuya loves him and he's friends with sakurai. Geno is lust because he's been wanted for so long. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.
That makes Chrono envy since a lot of people would want it to be their character of choice instead.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I still wonder how Sora can be so definitely out and why Geno shouldn't be taken seriously.
It just doesn't click for me. In some perspectives, that should even increase their chances-because if we ruled them out Squenix's trick worked.
But in others, that perspective is moronic and there's simply other factors ruling them out.

ugh.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I still wonder how Sora can be so definitely out and why Geno shouldn't be taken seriously.
It just doesn't click for me. In some perspectives, that should even increase their chances-because if we ruled them out Squenix's trick worked.
But in others, that perspective is moronic and there's simply other factors ruling them out.

ugh.
I absolutely believe that they're both the most likely candidate and Square-Enix played 4D Chess while Nintendo play real-life 8D chess

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

ugh.
Some transparency would be appreciated.

But transparency also costs people their jobs so we've just got to sit here and suffer until the Square Enix character is revealed.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I absolutely believe that they're both the most likely candidate and Square-Enix played 4D Chess while Nintendo play real-life 8D chess
...wait you do? Seriously?

Some transparency would be appreciated.

But transparency also costs people their jobs so we've just got to sit here and suffer until the Square Enix character is revealed.
Same with the box. I'm used to it, it's just that I hate that those two are singled out.

D

Deleted member

ugh.
Schrodinger’s Square-Enix characters. They are simultaneously in and deconfirmed. You won’t know if they’re truly playable or not until the trailer.
Honestly feeling the same. I doubt there’s no square character at all, cause there are so many rumblings from so many different people, and I think only the very upper level propel in Sqaure know who the character is. Office rumblings naturally create a bunch of different names, leading to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Alternatively: They're playing decadimensional chess and are going to add a character that isn't even one of the seven. Maybe Neku or someone from another FF game like Bartz (let me dream)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
...wait you do? Seriously?
Yup, I seriously do.
If Square-Enix would make this list believable, they wouldn't throw, or let people assumes that both Sora is out and Geno isn't serious.
At the very best we would be discussing Sora/Geno/DQ right now.

There is a chance that it's real. But with how Nintendo baited everyone with Metroid and kept Joker secret.

I can see them doing all of this on purpose to hide Sora and/Or Geno

Top Bottom