• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I... would actually be all for that. Or maybe Zidane or someone from FF12, since it's also being ported?
I have my doubts about this but I wouldn't discard it as impossible either.

I think they meant overall popularity than popularity within just the Smash community lol
He mean overall popularit-
Oh.
Ninja'd :ultgreninja:
Shoot me then, I will die
I still think Geno's more popular overall then people give him credit for these days

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't know if this has been talked about, but an interview with Reggie Fils-amie came out that has interesting implications for the square rep. Regarding the process of obtaining characters for smash bros. he said

"I personally have not been involved in those discussions, but as I have talked with Mr. Sakurai and others in the development area I’ve never heard of a story where we’ve been turned down as we pursued a particular character."

This isn't completely definitive, but it would seem to suggest that

a) the "Geno and Sephiroth are the finalists and Sora was turned down" thing is fake.
b) the reason Geno was not added in Brawl and Smash 4 was on Nintendo's end and not Sqaure's
and c) the whole "The company would want to push a different character" argument is pointless.

Link to the article

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't know if this has been talked about, but an interview with Reggie Fils-amie came out that has interesting implications for the square rep. Regarding the process of obtaining characters for smash bros. he said

"I personally have not been involved in those discussions, but as I have talked with Mr. Sakurai and others in the development area I’ve never heard of a story where we’ve been turned down as we pursued a particular character."

a) the "Geno and Sephiroth are the finalists and Sora was turned down" thing is fake.
b) the reason Geno was not added in Brawl and Smash 4 was on Nintendo's end and not Sqaure's
and c) the whole "The company would want to push a different character" argument is pointless.

Link to the article
Well why exactly would Sakurai tell Reggie "hey we actually got rejected trying to pursue this character you actually may not have even known we were trying to get"?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well why exactly would Sakurai tell Reggie "hey we actually got rejected trying to pursue this character you actually may not have even known we were trying to get"?
Because Reggie would know that kind of things as the CEO of Nintendo of America.

We know that NoJ do the selection and deal to get the DLC, but I'm sure they AT LEAST give something to NoA, like progress on deal etc. And maybe a quick check-up on the list of characters names

D

Deleted member

The narrative we got is that Square turned down X character before they even got put into consideration. If there were three Square characters to begin with, then they weren't even "pursuing a PARTICULAR character". Nintendo would be asking for just a general Square character and they'd be like, "Not this one though" before they could even properly begin negotiations.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm sure it wouldn't come up in casual conversation, but I'm sure as president of Nintendo of America he's about as informed of the development of the games as you can get without being a part of the actual dev team. If we take this statement at face value, then in order to keep believing the points I listed we have to assume we know more about what's been going on with characters in smash, especially regarding Geno and Sora, than Reggie Fils-amie does. That seems like a stretch to me.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Because Reggie would know that kind of things as the CEO of Nintendo of America.

We know that NoJ do the selection and deal to get the DLC, but I'm sure they AT LEAST give something to NoA, like progress on deal etc. And maybe a quick check-up on the list of characters names
See I'm just confused because he stated he's not involved in those decisions.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
See I'm just confused because he stated he's not involved in those decisions.
Not being involved with the deals is different than being UNAWARE of what is happening.

Dude probably know what DLC were choosen, or what deal was happening. Especially when you see that he was teasing the VGA as far as back as E3.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not being involved with the deals is different than being UNAWARE of what is happening.

Dude probably know what DLC were choosen, or what deal was happening. Especially when you see that he was teasing the VGA as far as back as E3.
Thanks for the clarification Nekoo.

D

Deleted member

I like to think Reggie got a USB drive with The Joker trailer and just a file called "METROID PRIME 4 DO NOT OPEN BEFORE THE GAME AWARDS" and that's how we got the Prime at TGA rumours.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I like to think Reggie got a USB drive with The Joker trailer and just a file called "METROID PRIME 4 DO NOT OPEN BEFORE THE GAME AWARDS" and that's how we got the Prime at TGA rumours.
10/10 are you a leaker?

D

Deleted member

I think this might be real... tell us the real info to be leaked!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm wondering exactly what sources saw that made them conclude there'd be no Smash, but something else entirely, at TVGA.
The best I can tell you, is imagine if Nintendo leave crumble of bread leading to Metroid there and there on stuff people close to it receive, and two days before the VGA they leave a BIG ASS NEON SIGN basically saying "YO SUP THIS IS METROID".

And at the end we get Smash.

That's the best way I can explain it to you without saying more. But basically, they were legitimately leaving stuff making people think Metroid would be shown.

D

Deleted member

The best I can tell you, is imagine if Nintendo leave crumble of bread leading to Metroid there and there on stuff people close to it receive, and two days before the VGA they leave a BIG *** NEON SIGN basically saying "YO SUP THIS IS METROID".

And at the end we get Smash.

That's the best way I can explain it to you without saying more. But basically, they were legitimately leaving stuff making people think Metroid would be shown.
This does in my mind make me think metroid trilogy could be happening. I’m not sure they would bait it so hard if they didn’t actually have something in the works.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
This does in my mind make me think metroid trilogy could be happening. I’m not sure they would bait it so hard if they didn’t actually have something in the works.
I mean, with what have been around. Metroid prime collection is Q1 of 2019.
we need to unveil the next generation of Pokémon, and Piranha plants DLC release alongside Jokers News.

A january/February Direct with all of that doesn't seems too crazy/

D

Deleted member

I mean, with what have been around. Metroid prime collection is Q1 of 2019.
we need to unveil the next generation of Pokémon, and Piranha plants DLC release alongside Jokers News.

A january/February Direct with all of that doesn't seems too crazy/
Oh yeah pokemon gen 8 is happening. That should be announced sometime in February to March in its own direct. Do think at least a mini direct in February is happening, at least to show off plant and Joker gameplay. Nintendo needs to make a strong start next year as 2018 hasn’t been the best for them minus smash, with only 2 major releases. At least when compared to 2017
(Side note: I feel a little vindicated for saying a reveal at TGA was happening)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

10/10 are you a leaker?
I think this might be real... tell us the real info to be leaked!
Simce my cover has been blown, I might as well say it:
The DLC Square character isn't amy of the Seven. It was all a ruse, it's actually Final Fantasy 7 itself, the whole game, as a playable character.
Square really wants to milk it as much as possible.

D

Deleted member

Simce my cover has been blown, I might as well say it:
The DLC Square character isn't amy of the Seven. It was all a ruse, it's actually Final Fantasy 7 itself, the whole game, as a playable character.
Square really wants to milk it as much as possible.
Still no new music tracks though.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
My guess is that Nintendo went with Joker first to throw people off with a genuine surprise and keep leakers on their toes.
But I legit believe that some of the stuff that is out there regarding the S-E rep is true.
It's just a matter of Nintendo postponing announcements. Remember that we aren't far from a megaton Direct. January Directs are usually heavy hitters

D

Deleted member

Still no new music tracks though.
Oh no, we still get a bunch of music tracks, double what we currently have! We're even getting a remix!
The first is "Final Fantasy VII Medley" which is much like Flat Zone, a bunch of sound effects from the game(all of the sound effects are from Cloud's Smash appearance though) thrown together to create a beaitiful melody.
The second is "Final Fantasy VII Medley(Death Metal ver.)" which is a Death Metal remix of the first.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Both Nintendo and DQ are gonna be at Jump Festa along with info on the DQ 11 Switch port. Might be something worth looking into.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_d...ash-bros-ultimate-east-and-west-japan-leagues

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/jf19/stage/

Note the "Special guest" bit. I don't think anything is likely but it's worth following at least.
I'm going to be laughing out loud so hard if the special guest is just Tetsuya Nomura standing there still. XD
I'm extremely hyped for this event. Both KHIII and DQXI S will be there!!!! :o

D

Deleted member

Both Nintendo and DQ are gonna be at Jump Festa along with info on the DQ 11 Switch port. Might be something worth looking into.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_d...ash-bros-ultimate-east-and-west-japan-leagues

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/jf19/stage/

Note the "Special guest" bit. I don't think anything is likely but it's worth following at least.
Probably just a coincidence but it's definetely worth keeping an eye on at least. if they did want to announce a DQ character it would make much more sense at a Japanese event, but it's not even a whole month after Joker's announcement so I have my doubts.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Probably just a coincidence but it's definetely worth keeping an eye on at least. if they did want to announce a DQ character it would make much more sense at a Japanese event, but it's not even a whole month after Joker's announcement so I have my doubts.
At the very least we can see what they added to DQ XI S. I'm kind of hoping some of the extra content of the 3DS version makes it in.
Or at the very least, they change those dumb wishes you get in Drustan's Trials.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Actually unless im wrong KH isn't gonna be there according to this article.

https://www.kh13.com/news/square-en...iii-and-final-fantasy-vii-remake-not-present/
Here is the lineup with its source. KHIII will be there with a trailer. I believe Nomura said there would be 3 more trailers before launch and gave an estimate of when they would drop. The second one seems to be around the time when Jump Festa takes place
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2018/12/square-enix-reveals-jump-festa-2019-lineup/

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone is really more likely than any other Square rep to be DLC I just know who I hope the Square rep is aka Sora...Obviously if my avatar didn't make that obvious enough.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
NEWSFLASH: Within the next 7 days we will be receiving a new update.
This means we could get new content in-game, including files that could hint at something!

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Here is the lineup with its source. KHIII will be there with a trailer. I believe Nomura said there would be 3 more trailers before launch and gave an estimate of when they would drop. The second one seems to be around the time when Jump Festa takes place
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2018/12/square-enix-reveals-jump-festa-2019-lineup/
ok so from what im reading KH is getting a trailer but not a full on stage spot. Hence it not being on the schedule.

NEWSFLASH: Within the next 7 days we will be receiving a new update.
This means we could get new content in-game, including files that could hint at something!
Source?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
After the announcement of Joker, I wonder if they're shooting for ALL shockers. And if that's the case, i'd have to ask, wat about Tidus from Final Fantasy 10? After all FF7, FF9, and FF10 are all being ported to Switch soon.
It would probably be Zidane, he’s pretty popular and Tidus kinda has a ton of people who didn’t play FFX but think he’s an annoying idiot because of the laugh scene.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
ok so from what im reading KH is getting a trailer but not a full on stage spot. Hence it not being on the schedule.

Source?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Sorry for the confusion.

And the source is this

It would probably be Zidane, he’s pretty popular and Tidus kinda has a ton of people who didn’t play FFX but think he’s an annoying idiot because of the laugh scene.
I would support for Zidane. You're not alone, but many people dislike him for being a bad character in general. Definitely my least favorite protag alongside Lightning.
Sad to say this, but not only in protag, but FFX only has its music and premise going for it, imo. Classic FF ended with IX, and I think Zidane being in would be a wonderful tribute to this.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

Link to the article
I can 100% confirm the "geno and sephiroth are finalists" thing is fake. The person who said that started saying a bunch of BS things lately that made it abundantly clear. That's why when I originally said the person came out of nowhere and I didn't trust them, I meant it. As we know, LinkedIn profiles aren't worth much considering they're public.

For context, the guy made a bunch of bogus claims within the past 3 days like "P5 Reload is going to be revealed in a few weeks and has better graphics than on the PS4. Also, my Enix employee did hear Joker, he just doubted it. Sakurai approached Atlus a couple months ago asking for Joker". Lol.

D

Deleted member

Yes, that's what I meant.
Sorry for the confusion.

And the source is this

I would support for Zidane. You're not alone, but many people dislike him for being a bad character in general. Definitely my least favorite protag alongside Lightning.
Sad to say this, but not only in protag, but FFX only has its music and premise going for it, imo. Classic FF ended with IX, and I think Zidane being in would be a wonderful tribute to this.
The FF rep I would want is Bartz, I know he probably isn't happening but in general he's my most wanted Smash character.
I think Gilgamesh would also be a good choice though, since he's the only recurring character that isn't a creature or named Cid.

timbo8

Smash Cadet
the jump festa trailer is the 18 5pm jst and here the trailer scheldure
https://twitter.com/khinsider/status/1071183910866903041

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I can 100% confirm the "geno and sephiroth are finalists" thing is fake. The person who said that started saying a bunch of BS things lately that made it abundantly clear. That's why when I originally said the person came out of nowhere and I didn't trust them, I meant it. As we know, LinkedIn profiles aren't worth much considering they're public.

For context, the guy made a bunch of bogus claims within the past 3 days like "P5 Reload is going to be revealed in a few weeks and has better graphics than on the PS4. Also, my Enix employee did hear Joker, he just doubted it. Sakurai approached Atlus a couple months ago asking for Joker". Lol.
Lmao wtf is that ****? How the **** he thought people would believe that last part?

Okay, sorry to asks, but would you mind giving us kinda like, "the chances" amongst insiders for the Characters? Are they all believing in DQ still?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This is clearly refreshing to the whole situation if true. Of course it doesn't get us any closer to knowing who it will be, but it definitely takes away the wrong belief of characters chances being super low based on the owner. If, so far, no one has been really stingy about the ones they have pursued, then this speaks very well on how these owners we have seen give their characters to smash, are with Nintendo in terms of relationship and lending their stuff to Sakurai. And this is after we have gotten characters like Cloud and Joker, so yeah… good news if anything.

Top Bottom