• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Let's get back on track.
I haven't seen a whole lot of stage speculation in this thread so I'd like to bring it up; what stage do you think each character's stage would be?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Look man, I love ya but saying everyone has their opinions when people are trying to argue denying war crimes and calling LGBT people useless is just a "political opinion" is obviously not gonna come off the right way.

You could have simply told me that instead of laughing at my face as if it's a funny subject.

Really? I'm the one who needs to learn that? When it's you who can't seem to accept some people simply not wanting a video game to cross over with another? Or who can't accept people don't like bigots?
I'm the one who can't handle different opinions? I'm the one insulting and harassing someone else for not having the same opinions as me? God, get some self awareness.

Did you even read my ****ing post?
Uhh, the subject of Sugiyama isn't funny. Your narrow-minded attitude and how you repeat fake news that people programmed for you is.

Lmfao, where am I not accepting people's opinions? I'm debating, not shutting anyone down or saying their opinion shouldn't be expressed here. You can want whoever you like in the game, I really don't care. Have you read my post?
I need to repeat myself? I'm 100% pro-free speech. Me disagreeing with someone is not me unaccepting an opinion. It's debating.
If anything I said was harrassment, I think you should check how sensitive you really are, bc I never pointed a finger to anyone here claiming them to be something bad or offensive.

While I see what you mean, I don' think gaming journalist does. For the record, I lean to the left part of politics, but even I know and thinks that GJ is a bit... how should I put it... overdramatic? (And this is coming from someone living in Sweden where rightwing politics would be seen as communism in the US.)

But anyway, even if the music isn't a problem, there is the potential issue with Akira Toriyama. which is part of why I don't think Crono or DQ will happen. I just think there are big characters that Square has that would be far easier to obtain even if Square wants to push DQ.

For example, going outside the list. Nekku from world ends with you is a recent Square release that I'm fairly certain was a Switch exclusive. It's a fairly new franchise that has its fanbase, that I could see Square want to try and push... It's also a wacky character that I could see Sakurai see moveset potential in.
Thank you for being respectful and civilized in the conversation.

I understand your point, but why would Akira Toriyama be an issue? I'm asking this bc I have no idea really, and I wany yo inform myself of the topic.

Nekku would be absolutely hype!!!!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Uhh, the subject of Sugiyama isn't funny. Your narrow-minded attitude and how you repeat fake news that people programmed for you is.

Lmfao, where am I not accepting people's opinions? I'm debating, not shutting anyone down or saying their opinion shouldn't be expressed here. You can want whoever you like in the game, I really don't care. Have you read my post?
I need to repeat myself? I'm 100% pro-free speech. Me disagreeing with someone is not me unaccepting an opinion. It's debating.
If anything I said was harrassment, I think you should check how sensitive you really are, bc I never pointed a finger to anyone here claiming them to be something bad or offensive.

I understand your point, but why would Akira Toriyama be an issue? I'm asking this bc I have no idea really, and I wany yo inform myself of the topic.

"fake news'
Oh booooooooooooooooooy

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
I think it's worth discussing. It certainly could hold DQ back from getting into Smash.
Sure, but it's not going anywhere.

This thread is off the ****ing rails, and people are just rehashing the same points over and over again. Are you only here to argue against DQ?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Let's get back on track.
I haven't seen a whole lot of stage speculation in this thread so I'd like to bring it up; what stage do you think each character's stage would be?
Geno is going Forest's maze obviously, and sadly.
Sora is Traverse Town/Destiny Island/Twilight Town probably
Crono is the Trial room or End of time
No idea for DQ, I can't think of one really...Iconic place
Sephiroth is going to be Burning Town/ Mako reactor or Gold Saucer

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Drop the Sugiyama talk, please. It clearly just creates more turmoil and isn't worth it. It's also going too far into politics and is highly off-topic. Let's move on.
Sorry dude. Delete my post if you need to. I read your post after I posted my last comment.
Apologies for the trouble. I was just discussing an issue regarding DQ's inclusion and trying to defend myself from vague accusations.

D

Deleted member

If it is Geno I would much rather get Booster's Tower a stage, it would be a lot of fun... but yeah it probably would be the forest maze.
As for the DQ stage I think it would depend on who it is.
For Slime, it can be... basically anything. Maybe something from DQ1.
For Erdrick, I think something from DQ3's endgame map would be neat. Zoma's Castle is what I would pick.
For The Luminary, maybe a shifting stage with you riding around on Cetacea making stops in various regions from DQ11's world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Like I said earlier. He is said to be hard to work with, demanding that his creation is always taking front and center. Considering that every anime game crossover, DB is the main stars. in the TorikoxOne Piece x Dragon Ball Crossover, Mr. Satan was allowed to win the fight between the three at the end of that tournament along Goku getting the final blow against the "big bad" in the same one, among Fortune/Boom Street comes off like a Dragon Quest game with Nintendo character visiting instead of the opposite, I think it safe to say that there is something to that. That kind of mentality could be hard to work with considering the star aspect of Smash is the crossover factor and no real franchise (with the closest to a star aspect being Mario for obvious reasons)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think Toriyama is either DQ's or CT's biggwst problem. Don't even know where this thing about his ego came from.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't think Toriyama is either DQ's or CT's biggwst problem. Don't even know where this thing about his ego came from.
Something I've heard from various anime and manga forums. Could be broken telephone I admit, but considering examples I pointed out in my answer to MajoraMan, I do think there is something to that.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Yes, they are big franchises, but they are behind licensing issues with one of them being shared between them. Aka Bird Studio. Akira Toriyama isn't known for being the easiest to work with. Dragon Quest on top of having Bird Studio a controversial composer.

In case you didn't know, Nintendo removed a feather from Game & Watch because the angry reaction it got because (according to them) it "depicted a racial stereotype" against the native American. If they remove a feather because of this, What has this to do with Dragon Quest composer you might add? Well, some call him a downright Nazi, having extremely anti-LGBTQ opinions and denies the war crimes Japan did during WWII. With that in mind, you could imagine what would happen with today's gaming journalist. It would not be a good PR for Nintendo to say the slightest.
What are you taking about? Chrono is also owned by armor games too. So that's 3. Bird,SE, and Armor.

D

Deleted member

Something I've heard from various anime and manga forums. Could be broken telephone I admit, but considering examples I pointed out in my answer to MajoraMan, I do think there is something to that.
It probably is, honestly. I really doubt he would be dense should one of his characters be proposed for Smash.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What are you taking about? Chrono is also owned by armor games too. So that's 3. Bird,SE, and Armor.
Yes, Armor Studio owns both. But Armor Studio isn't said to be the problem in all this. Akira and DQs composer is.

D

Deleted member

I kind of feel like the issue of copyright for DQ is a bit overblown. Nintendo has worked with the necessary parties for DQ crossing over with Nintendo properties before with the Fortune Street/Itadaki Street games. I dont see why it cant happen again.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Character design should be considered as well. What I mean by this, is that the remaining 4 dlc characters probably wont all have that "anime" look to them.
It would just be boring from a developers perspective.

So a dlc roster like this would be unlikely

Joker
Lloyd
Sora
Goku
insert fire emblem character here

So that being said, I would say we are at least guaranteed some character thats not human based.

Thats kind of why Im thinking maybe Geno or Slime would be the characters chosen.

Namco will probably get some sort of further representation, and while I would prefer someone like klonoa, we are likely to get a "tales of" character.

These 6 factors are what I believe to be the most important when speculating a character. Unfortunately, I would say that how much weight is placed on each category changes from time to time.

-Character Design
-CopyRights/Licenses
-Controversies
-Cross Promotion
-Video Game History
-Fan Base
-Personal Reasons

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Character design should be considered as well. What I mean by this, is that the remaining 4 dlc characters probably wont all have that "anime" look to them.
It would just be boring from a developers perspective.

So a dlc roster like this would be unlikely

Joker
Lloyd
Sora
Goku
insert fire emblem character here

So that being said, I would say we are at least guaranteed some character thats not human based.

Thats kind of why Im thinking maybe Geno or Slime would be the characters chosen.

Namco will probably get some sort of further representation, and while I would prefer someone like klonoa, we are likely to get a "tales of" character.

These 6 factors are what I believe to be the most important when speculating a character. Unfortunately, I would say that how much weight is placed on each category changes from time to time.

-Character Design
-CopyRights/Licenses
-Controversies
-Cross Promotion
-Video Game History
-Fan Base
-Personal Reasons
Well Goku isn't happening no matter who the rest of the dlc are.

D

Deleted member

Don’t jinx it.

Well that got a bit political and heated all of a sudden didn’t it? Back on the Square stuff, I was banking on Sephiroth but now, after Joker? Im still thinking it’s Sephiroth. I feel as if his iconicity, his popularity, the shock of him getting in definitely makes him likelier. Sure music is an issue, however if he’s going to be DLC they could potentially give a percentage of the money earned by the DLC to the composers, sweeting the deal as it were. With Cloud already in, I think Sephiroth wouldn’t be much harder to negotiate. Those are just my two cents anyway. Should be worth at least five cents though.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Don’t jinx it.

Well that got a bit political and heated all of a sudden didn’t it? Back on the Square stuff, I was banking on Sephiroth but now, after Joker? Im still thinking it’s Sephiroth. I feel as if his iconicity, his popularity, the shock of him getting in definitely makes him likelier. Sure music is an issue, however if he’s going to be DLC they could potentially give a percentage of the money earned by the DLC to the composers, sweeting the deal as it were. With Cloud already in, I think Sephiroth wouldn’t be much harder to negotiate. Those are just my two cents anyway. Should be worth at least five cents though.
I was Sephiroth before Joker, and I'm still am as of right now because
A) He is one of the most iconic villains
B) He is arguably one of the easiest for Nintendo to get from Square
C) He could easily be the reason why there is so little FF content from the start.

But if it isn't Sephiroth, my guess would honestly be Nekku from The World ends with you for the reason I stated for Majorman. A newly revived franchise that I could see Square want to push, Switch exclusive, Has a ton of fans, and a wacky main character that has moveset potential

Also, there is no worries about jinxing it because we have a higher chance getting Master Chief, Sora, Crono, Dragon Quest, Banjo Kazooie, and Kratos as DLC together then Goku alone.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
One of the reasons why I would love to see Kingdom Hearts, it has so many options that you could pull from when it comes to stages, but I think the most logical one for a stage really would be Destiny Islands, since that's where the journey practically starts. Kingdom Hearts has so much original content to give for Smash, that it should be criminal.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
If it is Geno I would much rather get Booster's Tower a stage, it would be a lot of fun... but yeah it probably would be the forest maze.
As for the DQ stage I think it would depend on who it is.
For Slime, it can be... basically anything. Maybe something from DQ1.
For Erdrick, I think something from DQ3's endgame map would be neat. Zoma's Castle is what I would pick.
For The Luminary, maybe a shifting stage with you riding around on Cetacea making stops in various regions from DQ11's world.
I think a DQ stage would probably be on the World Tree, or at least have it as a backdrop.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
so I'm just gonna quote my topic on GameFAQS here while omitting some language to dodge mods. also mild WoL spoiler here so yeah.

So World of Light is pretty awesome with all the fanservice and Easter eggs of Spirits you can collect, but there is one controversial case-the Lack of Final Fantasy Spirits.

First thing's first though, the rumor that Cloud would not be in World of Light is bull. He does appear around midway as the guardian of the Master Sword in Ganon's Realm in the Dark World. having said that unlike the other 3rd Party reps he is the only one repping his own series.As a huge fan of FFVII this kinda pisses me off since the idea of Spirits based on characters like Aerith or The Turks getting in would have been pretty cool honestly. Or even Spirits as callbacks to other FF games like Terra or Cecil.

But this omission might actually be a blessing in disguise as I realized another(frustrating) trait about Spirits-the lack of Lore text. all you get is just the Spirit, and a brief description of what series they are from-that's all. But consider the following....

With these restrictions, Square might actually be able to put Sora as DLC. The biggest argument many have used against him was that because of his connections with Disney it would be complicated to add him to the game, but due to these Spirit limitations Square made that is not really an issue. Sora would be the only Spirit of his series to appear, Just like Cloud is, so no Disney character Spirits would be needed. likewise without any Lore texts they don't need to bring up his connections to Disney-I mean Ninty didn't need to worry about mentioning that time Little Mac fought Mike Tyson now did they? Also I've read in some areas that the decision of if Sora could get into Smash is down to Tetsuya Nomura, not Disney. And Nomura is very likely the reason why Cloud got into the game as well.

And let's face it: Sora is the most requested 3rd Party character in the world now, and usually in the Top 2 stateside(generally switching with Banjo-Kazooie for top bids among many.) On top of being the #1 Most wanted by ZeRo, who is recognized for his popularity at the Smash Invitationals. And we have Vergeben saying that a Square rep will be DLC and....well, put 2 and 2.

TLDR: Square's Restrictions on their IP, as well as Spirits lacking lore text, the character's popularity and Verge's leak mean that Sora is very likely due to dodging the Disney loophole.

D

Deleted member

I think a DQ stage would probably be on the World Tree, or at least have it as a backdrop.
That could be neat too. With the Luminary there's one thing they could do but it's a bit spoiler-y
Partway through the match, Jasper and Mordegon can show up, with either of them being stage hazards and the Tree eventually falling into ruin

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
so I'm just gonna quote my topic on GameFAQS here while omitting some language to dodge mods. also mild WoL spoiler here so yeah.
I'm very confused.

It was never about Spirits. It was about his moveset, his taunts, victory animations-all of that.
I'm not facing a thing. Geno is still just as requested, if not moreso, than Sora, with the Smash fanbase-specifically the core one this game seems directed at.
Sora is enjoying a boost, but with the Smash fanbase Geno's been just as big a deal, if not bigger, then he is for 10 years.
I won't deny Sora is one of THE most third popular parties but he isn't the most OVERALL.

Character popularity could work for basically all of the Squenix 7 except Luminary. I get Sora is incredibly popular, but please consider his competition as well. All the Squenix 7, except Luminary, are popular choices and some of them such as Geno are particularly heavily requested for Smash.

I understand why you feel Sora's the most likely but if you're gonna use the "Verge said we're getting an SE rep" you also must consider Verge heard Sora is 100% leakbait. Do I agree he is? I'm not entirely sure at this point with how Nintendo and Squenix are both capable of spreading misinfo like this. But it's important to bring up both points regarding Verge.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. We make these mistakes like "oh he's so popular he's basically confirmed" time and time again. Don't fall into the trick.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Lol I was just running out of anime looking characters when i threw out that list.
I could do without Goku myself, but he'd be a bit of a surprise. Well, he'd a surprise to people who considers themselves gamers when it comes to smash and get caught up on made up rules by fans.

Despite him being an anime character originally, he has a lot of history with nintendo in general.Keep in mind that the game is developed with a focus on a general audience too. And his addition would be well received by both western and japanese audiences. All video game publishing rights I believe are still owned by namco bandai. (could be wrong on this) Honestly, other than his manga origins Id say he is the perfect candidate.

Ofcourse Id rather see what they could do with Crono if they wanted to go with that art direction. But the point Im trying to make is that most characters have a chance, even if sakurai has issues with it.

I could see Nintendo wanting Sora as their first choice. Story wise, he seems to be a perfect fit for this game. Not only that, but in terms of newer franchises created after 2000 he is probably one of the most well knowm characters.
Unfortunately negotiating for a character like Sora may come at too high of a cost. It means getting Disney involved, and potentially hiring his original voice actor. And while I do believe Disney would be on board with this, at the end of the day are they still making a profit?

As far as his popularity vs a character like Geno. I would say Sora is much more popular and way more well known. We keep talking about this unofficial ballot as if it carries all the weight on character selection. Even if Geno beat out Sora on some unofficial poll, you really have to consider the demographic participating in said poll and does that sample really accurately represent the population of people buying the game? Probably not.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
Star Hill also seems very appropriate for Geno. Especially with the lack of Rainbow Road.

I also think the difference between Little Mac's ties with Mike Tyson and Sora's ties with Disney is the fact that Little Mac is and has been a character that can sustain past Mike Tyson. Mike Tyson's likeness is not a necessity for Little Mac's existence. They even remade and reworked games moving forward that do not have Mike.

Sora is essentially ingrained with Disney and cannot be properly represented without Disney characters. While not a major thing, it is to the point where even his weapon has the mouse ears enigma on them.

You cannot just continue Sora's legacy without any of the Disney characters and even if they did at this point, he is still going to be known as the anime kid with the Disney characters.

To an extent Little Mac is known as the guy from Mike Tyson as well but this was easily reworked to not be fully centered around Mike Tyson. The same cannot be said about Sora with Disney.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I also think the difference between Little Mac's ties with Mike Tyson and Sora's ties with Disney is the fact that Little Mac is and has been a character that can sustain past Mike Tyson. Mike Tyson's likeness is not a necessity for Little Mac's existence. They even remade and reworked games moving forward that do not have Mike.

Sora is essentially ingrained with Disney and cannot be properly represented without Disney characters. While not a major thing, it is to the point where even his weapon has the mouse ears enigma on them.

You cannot just continue Sora's legacy without any of the Disney characters and even if they did at this point, he is still going to be known as the anime kid with the Disney characters.

To an extent Little Mac is known as the guy from Mike Tyson as well but this was easily reworked to not be fully centered around Mike Tyson. The same cannot be said about Sora with Disney.
You mean he can't be represented without the presence of Disney characters?
Bc all of his guest appearances in FF spinoff titles featured only him, with no Donald or Goofy to be seen

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm a huge Disney fan; so seeing Sora without any semblance of Disney properties worked in would be extremely odd to me, and kind of why I don't want him. You can't even have Goofy and Donald in a Triple Finish-esque Final Smash, which is like my bare minimum request. I'm one of those people who likes Kingdom Hearts FOR the Disney stuff and less everything else.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
You can mean he can't be represented without the presence of Disney characters?
Bc all of his guest appearances in FF spinoff titles featured only him, with no Donald or Goofy to be seen
The only one I am aware of is the chibi looking one and I think him being only a limited time thing is a dangerous game for Sakurai to play as well.

What other spin offs has he been in and does he not have the mouse ears on his keyblade?

D

Deleted member

You guys never played KH3D? It was the only KH game I played so let me tell you the Disney characters are certainly not a necessity for Sora's character to be properly represented.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Again, I say if you people still think Disney characters are actually needed for Smash, that tells me you haven't played the series in it's entirety, or just don't know much about it to think that those elements are actually needed for Smash Bros. I keep hearing this argument and honestly, the "Disney argument" keeps falling apart for me as time goes on, to the point where it doesn't make sense anymore.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The only one I am aware of is the chibi looking one and I think him being only a limited time thing is a dangerous game for Sakurai to play as well.

What other spin offs has he been in and does he not have the mouse ears on his keyblade?
The other time he showed up is actually in a future collab with FF Brave Exvius. And he doesn't seem to be a temporary addition, unlike WoFF.

Again, I say if you people still think Disney characters are actually needed for Smash, that tells me you haven't played the series in it's entirety, or just don't know much about it to think that those elements are actually needed for Smash Bros. I keep hearing this argument and honestly, the "Disney argument" keeps falling apart for me as time goes on, to the point where it doesn't make sense anymore.
Agreed with you there, but I must say, Sora in Smash could definitely open a can of worms

Last edited:

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
After the announcement of Joker, I wonder if they're shooting for ALL shockers. And if that's the case, i'd have to ask, wat about Tidus from Final Fantasy 10? After all FF7, FF9, and FF10 are all being ported to Switch soon.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Lol I was just running out of anime looking characters when i threw out that list.
I could do without Goku myself, but he'd be a bit of a surprise. Well, he'd a surprise to people who considers themselves gamers when it comes to smash and get caught up on made up rules by fans.

Despite him being an anime character originally, he has a lot of history with nintendo in general.Keep in mind that the game is developed with a focus on a general audience too. And his addition would be well received by both western and japanese audiences. All video game publishing rights I believe are still owned by namco bandai. (could be wrong on this) Honestly, other than his manga origins Id say he is the perfect candidate.

Ofcourse Id rather see what they could do with Crono if they wanted to go with that art direction. But the point Im trying to make is that most characters have a chance, even if sakurai has issues with it.

I could see Nintendo wanting Sora as their first choice. Story wise, he seems to be a perfect fit for this game. Not only that, but in terms of newer franchises created after 2000 he is probably one of the most well knowm characters.
Unfortunately negotiating for a character like Sora may come at too high of a cost. It means getting Disney involved, and potentially hiring his original voice actor. And while I do believe Disney would be on board with this, at the end of the day are they still making a profit?

As far as his popularity vs a character like Geno. I would say Sora is much more popular and way more well known. We keep talking about this unofficial ballot as if it carries all the weight on character selection. Even if Geno beat out Sora on some unofficial poll, you really have to consider the demographic participating in said poll and does that sample really accurately represent the population of people buying the game? Probably not.
I don't know how more clear I can make Geno's popularity then saying "he literally got a Mii Costume and a namedrop twice for how supported he was"
Can we stop acting like Geno's some unknown echo chamber want because he simply isn't at this point and his overall popularity in the SMASH FANDOM at least overpowers Sora's.

If this comes off as aggressive, apologies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After the announcement of Joker, I wonder if they're shooting for ALL shockers. And if that's the case, i'd have to ask, wat about Tidus from Final Fantasy 10? After all FF7, FF9, and FF10 are all being ported to Switch soon.
I... would actually be all for that. Or maybe Zidane or someone from FF12, since it's also being ported?
I have my doubts about this but I wouldn't discard it as impossible either.
I don't know how more clear I can make Geno's popularity then saying "he literally got a Mii Costume and a namedrop twice for how supported he was"
Can we stop acting like Geno's some unknown echo chamber want because he simply isn't at this point and his overall popularity in the SMASH FANDOM at least overpowers Sora's.

I think they meant overall popularity than popularity within just the Smash community lol

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

He mean overall popularit-
Oh.
Ninja'd :ultgreninja:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Something I thought was interesting that I haven’t seen many bring up is that in the reddit poll, Geno went up against Sora in one of the later rounds, and won at 4147 votes to 3450 votes. According to the guy who ran the poll, geno vs sora was the matchup that had the most off-site voting ie the most votes from sides other than reddit, with the matchup being spread around a bunch of social media sites. Granted, this is a pretty small sample size and is targeting only the hardcore fan base who know who Geno is, but it does show that Geni has risen in popularity after Sakurai’s comments on him. Now thinking about Joker, based on previous comments I think it’s likely that Sakurai only chose Joker after playing his game which came out in September 2016 and liking it. Consider again that while Geno only really rose again in popularity back in February 2016 when Sakurai said he wanted him, this would matchup with the likely timeframe Joker was chosen. This doesn’t mean anything really, but I just wanted to bring it up. Could be an interesting discussion.

Top Bottom