• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So the guy who posted it claimed it was a reddit leak posted before Joker’s reveal? Seems fishy, he could’ve at least posted the link.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Interesting.
The Doom leak text I used to translate and copy pasted was not the actual original but edited one. I should’ve check the original thread. My bad.

The part deleted is saying, “Looks like there was a leak overseas. Nobody believed it before Joker though”.
Then the leak part comes. This part is the same.

After the post somebody asked him where did you get this leak and he answered “reddit”.

Now if this guy was saying the truth then the Doom leak was originated from reddit overseas and he brought it to 5chan.
Or he was completely lying to make his “leak” a little convincing. I mean hey leaks always come from the west you know.

You can also interpret that he was referring to another leak. The part was just a reply to the OP.
But I don’t know. It has always been but something is very fishy to me.
Have you translated the "Hero Party" leak?

The one with Leon, Sol Badguy, and Tracer?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Never heard of it.
Do you have the original text?
It's the same thread where the Erdrick and Joker leak was.
Link: https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544370354/
Original Text:
レオン.S.ケネディ(バイオハザード)
トレーサー(オーバーウォッチ)
勇者パーティー(ドラゴン・クエスト)
ソル・バッドガイ(ギルティ・ギア)

とりあえず妄想とか言われて、このスレすぐ落ちるかもしれないけど、何か心に引っかかった人は保存しといて
本当にマジのリークだから

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
They do have the same ID.
I said someone asked him but actually the leaker posted saying “the source is on reddit” right after. Listing format difference.
Interesting. Was it only with Doomguy that they say they got the information second hand from reddit?

Anything similar with only hearing about Erdrick, Ryu and Steve from similar locations as well?

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I really doubt that the codename Brave is some 4D chess situation, I think even Jack might've just been leftover name, maybe from Jack frost but they just never bothered to change it since a filename in the game isn't high priority.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To add to the discussion.

In the Anime Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, that I watch in spanish, it always seemed odd to me that they refer to the Hero class, and the Hero that defeated the great evil (it all hints at being based post-events of DQ3) as "valiente" (Brave) instead of "heroe" (Hero).

So yeah, I do believe the word brave has a strong connection to DQ.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To add to the discussion.

In the Anime Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, that I watch in spanish, and ir always seemed odd to me that they refer to the Hero class, and the Hero that defeated the great evil (it all hints at being based post-events of DQ3) as "valiente" (Brave) instead of "heroe" (Hero).

So yeah, I do believe the word brave has a strong connection to DQ.
To add to this: Dai no Daibouken isn't a minor thing. Its manga sold 50m+ copies and is one of Toei's most successful anime series, just behind the heavy heavy hitters like Dragon Ball and Hokuto no Ken.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Also I doubt Smash is gonna call him Erdrick, they don't call Pokemon Trainer Red and Leaf, who also have male and female versions. Hero does fit a lot better when its a Bowser Jr situation, don't have to deal with the awkward naming DQ has for some heroes.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
It's the same thread where the Erdrick and Joker leak was.
Link: https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544370354/
Original Text:
レオン.S.ケネディ(バイオハザード)
トレーサー(オーバーウォッチ)
勇者パーティー(ドラゴン・クエスト)
ソル・バッドガイ(ギルティ・ギア)

とりあえず妄想とか言われて、このスレすぐ落ちるかもしれないけど、何か心に引っかかった人は保存しといて
本当にマジのリークだから
Ah this one.
Nothing special tbh.

Translation:
Leon S Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Yuusha party (Dragon Quest)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)

I know people gonna say it’s a delusion and this thread won’t last long but if anyone get interested better save it.
Cuz it’s legit leak.

StormC

Smash Hero
Also I doubt Smash is gonna call him Erdrick, they don't call Pokemon Trainer Red and Leaf, who also have male and female versions. Hero does fit a lot better when its a Bowser Jr situation, don't have to deal with the awkward naming DQ has for some heroes.
“Hero” is too generic of a name though. “Dragon Hero” or something might work. It’d be like if Wii Fit Trainer or Pokemon Trainer were just called “Trainer.”

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
we can try to find a similar rumor on reddit at least
unless he's saying that to dissipate connections or he got it via a DM, but i really doubt that.

speaking of, is it possible to get around the IP barrier for an overseas user to post on 5ch?

D

Deleted member

That's my point. He's likely because of the insiders. Brave isn't evidence for it. It just fits with our current narrative of what's coming.
Brave as a word applies to many characters, but like we have seen on the thread applies a lot to the DQ heroes due to the Kanji and that they are referred as such.

I understand skepticism due to how SE handles leaks, but info from their games has leaked in the past and in a surprising manner. FFXIV major content updates were leaked and looking back SE technically leaked the first Switch titles: Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI
To add to this: Dai no Daibouken isn't a minor thing. Its manga sold 50m+ copies and is one of Toei's most successful anime series, just behind the heavy heavy hitters like Dragon Ball and Hokuto no Ken.
Dai no Daiboken is surprisingly successful in LatAm and parts of Europe, why they didn't promote DQ more linking it to the manga makes me wonder if publishers are aware of what they have.
we can try to find a similar rumor on reddit at least
unless he's saying that to dissipate connections or he got it via a DM, but i really doubt that.

speaking of, is it possible to get around the IP barrier for an overseas user to post on 5ch?
You can, if you spoof your IP address with a Japanese one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
“Hero” is too generic of a name though. “Dragon Hero” or something might work. It’d be like if Wii Fit Trainer or Pokemon Trainer were just called “Trainer.”
What about Villager?

StormC

Smash Hero
What about Villager?
There are only a small handful of Smash fighters who you could mistake with the name “Villager” honestly. Without specifying they’re from Dragon Quest, it doesn’t tell you much by saying “there’s a Smash character called Hero.”

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, if there are no other characters referred to as "Hero" then I'm sure it's fine.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have three suggestions.

Either go for Valiant which is basically Brave.

I think they're pushing the Luminary title as the new Hero.

Or, my personal favorite, "Dragon Warrior".
If he's called Yuusha in Japan, I would love for the Hero class to be called Dragon Warrior in the west, for reasons. And would sound epic coming from the announcer.

Last edited:

hinode

Smash Cadet
Thing is that Erdrick is already a title, in-universe, not a proper name. One with a lot of significance to it both in- and out-of-universe, but I'll need spoiler tags to cover this properly.

The first two DQ games take place in the world of Alefgard, starring descedents of the legendary hero Erdrick. In DQ3, by contrast you start off as the son or daughter of famed adventurer Ortega, in a world loosely based on the real world. Initially, there's no indication that it is actually related to its two predecessors.

It's only after you beat the supposed big bad that you find out a second world exists, the World of Darkness (yep, DQ3 popularized that trope in Japanese videogames, 3 years earlier than even A Link to the Past), one that happens to look very familiar to Dragon Quest vets. It is only over time that the player gradually realizes that they are reenacting (or, more accurately speaking, enacting in the first place) the deeds of the famous hero spoken of so reverently in the original games. It's only once you beat the game that the game explicitly confirms this, as the King of Alefgard confers on you the highest honor possible in his realm, the title of Erdrick. You are the legendary hero so central to the series' lore, and it is something you through the heroic deeds of saving two worlds from evil. By 1988 Famicom standards, this was about as brilliant as videogame storytelling got.

Moreover, in retrospect it was a huge deal that you had the option of selecting a female hero if you liked. This was a first for the series and quite possibly JRPGs as a genre (though there might be some obscure game I'm not aware of that did it earlier). Not only could you play as a female protagonist if you wanted to, you could make the legendary savior of Alefgard spoken of so reverently in previous Dragon Quest games a girl. I have no idea if 1988 Enix thought about all the implications of giving this particular Dragon Quest game a gender select option, but from a modern perspective it was an extraordinarily forward thinking one, both for the series and for the genre as a whole.

D

Deleted member

I'd agree but Erdrick was the name insiders heard of, it's in the list for a reason

Untouch

Smash Master
Of course this isn't concrete, but I tried to find any mention of both DQ and P5R on Reddit before Joker was revealed (using google search) and couldn't find anything.

For the record, I can find the noatesty post by searching "Incineroar" and "Piranha Plant" at the same time.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Of course this isn't concrete, but I tried to find any mention of both DQ and P5R on Reddit before Joker was revealed (using google search) and couldn't find anything.

For the record, I can find the noatesty post by searching "Incineroar" and "Piranha Plant" at the same time.
Were you able to at least see if there was any reddit post with the five characters before the 5chan post (as in, not necessarily before Joker was revealed, just before December 9th)?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Robin went with Robin, I'm sure Erdrick is fine.
Pretty much. Unless it's something like intended to be the first actual character(Erdrick's descendant) as the main costume, Erdrick makes more sense. Being Loto/Roto in the Asian regions likewise.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'd bet on Erdrick over Hero or any other name. DQXI isn't shy about throwing Erdrick's name around, so there's an easy touchstone there for anyone who wanted to jump straight from Smash to a DQ game. Builders mentions Erdrick a lot too, actually, and I have to assume there are mentions in Builders 2 as well.

Untouch

Smash Master
Were you able to at least see if there was any reddit post with the five characters before the 5chan post (as in, not necessarily before Joker was revealed, just before December 9th)?
Can't find anything, anything mentioning Joker and any of the other characters on the list was made after the 7th, I don't think this post was ever made.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Can't find anything, anything mentioning Joker and any of the other characters on the list was made after the 7th, I don't think this post was ever made.
So it was either just an attempt at gathering attention or reddit mods deleted a topic like that (because they also have that habit). Sounds like fake.

D

Deleted member

Thing is that Erdrick is already a title, in-universe, not a proper name. One with a lot of significance to it both in- and out-of-universe, but I'll need spoiler tags to cover this properly.

The first two DQ games take place in the world of Alefgard, starring descedents of the legendary hero Erdrick. In DQ3, by contrast you start off as the son or daughter of famed adventurer Ortega, in a world loosely based on the real world. Initially, there's no indication that it is actually related to its two predecessors.

It's only after you beat the supposed big bad that you find out a second world exists, the World of Darkness (yep, DQ3 popularized that trope in Japanese videogames, 3 years earlier than even A Link to the Past), one that happens to look very familiar to Dragon Quest vets. It is only over time that the player gradually realizes that they are reenacting (or, more accurately speaking, enacting in the first place) the deeds of the famous hero spoken of so reverently in the original games. It's only once you beat the game that the game explicitly confirms this, as the King of Alefgard confers on you the highest honor possible in his realm, the title of Erdrick. You are the legendary hero so central to the series' lore, and it is something you through the heroic deeds of saving two worlds from evil. By 1988 Famicom standards, this was about as brilliant as videogame storytelling got.

Moreover, in retrospect it was a huge deal that you had the option of selecting a female hero if you liked. This was a first for the series and quite possibly JRPGs as a genre (though there might be some obscure game I'm not aware of that did it earlier). Not only could you play as a female protagonist if you wanted to, you could make the legendary savior of Alefgard spoken of so reverently in previous Dragon Quest games a girl. I have no idea if 1988 Enix thought about all the implications of giving this particular Dragon Quest game a gender select option, but from a modern perspective it was an extraordinarily forward thinking one, both for the series and for the genre as a whole.
So are all the DQ games within the same universe? I know apparently DQXI has connections to previous games.

Untouch

Smash Master
I have a feeling people are overreacting when it comes to the amount of DQ music we would get.
If Erdrick is someone that Square Enix wants, they'd probably be WAY more willing to part with their content.
Sakurai mentioned that Square Enix wanted him to go with another Final Fantasy character so they many not have thought they were getting much out of the deal.

hinode

Smash Cadet
DQ 1-3 are linked pretty closely.

DQ 4-6 are linked pretty weakly.

The goddess Rubiss appears in 2,3, 6, and apparantly was mentioned in the mobile port of 1. It's not clear if DQ6 Rubiss is the exact same character as the one from the original trilogy though, or if she really links them together in any way.

I haven't played any of the games past 6 so I'm not the best person to ask about any intra-series connections with those.

D

Deleted member

So are all the DQ games within the same universe? I know apparently DQXI has connections to previous games.
Only 1-3 + 11, and 4-6. The latter being much looser connected than the former.
I have a feeling people are overreacting when it comes to the amount of DQ music we would get.
If Erdrick is someone that Square Enix wants, they'd probably be WAY more willing to part with their content.
Sakurai mentioned that Square Enix wanted him to go with another Final Fantasy character so they many not have thought they were getting much out of the deal.
It's up to the composer not just SE in general.

Oddball

Smash Lord
If they're going to go that route, then the name is obvious.

Dragon Warrior.

D

Deleted member

I see. So it’s kinda like a multiverse? Where do the spin-offs fit in?
It's an anthology series like Final Fantasy, they're all in their own worlds as well, with a few exceptions. There's multiple spinoffs that have party members from various DQ games, mainly the Monsters games but there's a couple others.

Top Bottom