• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Is it on the Main site though?
I dont think any of the illustrations were posted in the main site. The CV one I remember it being on twitter, I'm searching for it. It had Ganondorf in place of Dracula and a bunch of the villains as well.

D

Deleted member

Even though I really don't like DQ as I always kinda thought it was bland and am still slightly salty about Geno being BTFO'd, I'm giving DQ a chance hopefully I can change my mind and maybe View DQ in a Positive light. We'll see, though I'm playing the GBC version as it's the most available and free option there's probably better ways to play it but Eh, I do encourage others who haven't given it a shot to do so like I am maybe we Geno fans could learn to appreciate DQ together. GG No ree DQ fans, GG.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Even though I really don't like DQ as I always kinda thought it was bland and am still slightly salty about Geno being BTFO'd, I'm giving DQ a chance hopefully I can change my mind and maybe View DQ in a Positive light. We'll see, though I'm playing the GBC version as it's the most available and free option there's probably better ways to play it but Eh, I do encourage others who haven't given it a shot to do so like I am maybe we Geno fans could learn to appreciate DQ together. GG No ree DQ fans, GG.
Are you starting from 1-3? If you find it bland from an outside perspective those won't be the ones to change your mind (though keep in mind they basically pioneered the genre so it's pretty understandable). If they don't stick for you I recommend trying 5, 8, or 11.

D

Deleted member

Are you starting from 1-3? If you find it bland from an outside perspective those won't be the ones to change your mind (though keep in mind they basically pioneered the genre so it's pretty understandable). If they don't stick for you I recommend trying 5, 8, or 11.
Would try 11 but No PS4, Same with 8 for DS I believe? I wanted to try 1-3 because if Erdrick is the character we're getting I'm interested in getting to understand his moveset and whatnot. Will take your advice and switch to another game if uninterested. Oh wow for how Uninterested and upset I was about Erdrick getting into Smash I was I'm kinda getting excited, Maybe I'll even become a fan of the series! who knows!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay so in my mission to also give various DQ games a shot, I'm trying the demo for Dragon Quest Builders and...back during the "Minecraft content" days there was a joke about how "what if the Minecraft content was actually DQ Builders content". It was apparently shot down by Verge's sources, but...

Well...

I'm playing it now and...you know how the leak said Erdrick's stage was "Alefgard"? Well, that's the name of the continent you rebuild in DQB. I know that's also the continent from DQ3 but...really makes you think.

D

Deleted member

Would try 11 but No PS4, Same with 8 for DS I believe? I wanted to try 1-3 because if Erdrick is the character we're getting I'm interested in getting to understand his moveset and whatnot. Will take your advice and switch to another game if uninterested. Oh wow for how Uninterested and upset I was about Erdrick getting into Smash I was I'm kinda getting excited, Maybe I'll even become a fan of the series! who knows!
5 and 8 have surprisingly good ports on mobile, only downgrade is that 8 doesnt have voice acting.
But, I'm glad that people are willing to give it a shot. Hope you enjoy dude!
Okay so in my mission to also give various DQ games a shot, I'm trying the demo for Dragon Quest Builders and...back during the "Minecraft content" days there was a joke about how "what if the Minecraft content was actually DQ Builders content". It was apparently shot down by Verge's sources, but...

Well...

I'm playing it now and...you know how the leak said Erdrick's stage was "Alefgard"? Well, that's the name of the continent you rebuild in DQB. I know that's also the continent from DQ3 but...really makes you think.
It's actually where DQ1 and 2 mainly take place, but part of 3 takes place there as well. But... you are onto something.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Well...

ahh
you mean
the fake leak

the leak that is fake
IT'S PERSONA 5 RUMBLE FLY, WE WENT OVER THIS, DIDN'T WE, MY BOY?

D

Deleted member

Well...

DQB takes place after an alternate ending of DQ1 so it makes sense to reuse it as a setting. Dunno really if the Minecraft content that Verge's sources was referring to DQB but I would see it difficult considering the models on DQB aren't blocky at all and supposedly Verge source saw a Minecraft boss.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
DQ1 at this point is pretty novel. It's short and the combat is pretty basic since there's no other party members. DQ3 is really groundbreaking with its party classes, the scale, and the second half of the game in general. It's best enjoyed after playing DQ1.

DQ2 is just brutal, or at least the NES version is. Just, my god.

I think 5 is great because like all DQ games it leans heavily on some tried-and-true JRPG tropes while subverting others in some really clever ways. It's certainly more story focused than the others. 11 and 8 are also great starting points.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Hopefully this tidbit about P5R(the current rumored remaining 3 lineup's strongest point) makes this rumor die now. The game was actually leaked as far back as in Summer 2017 by MysticDistance.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hopefully this tidbit about P5R(the current rumored remaining 3 lineup's strongest point) makes this rumor die now. The game was actually leaked as far back as in Summer 2017 by MysticDistance.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Amen to that. Man, this Mystic guy is just so damn reliable. Remember when he confirmed the Grinch leak for us?
Lol

We're assuming P5R to be a updated release far too quickly.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
ahh
you mean
the fake leak

the leak that is fake
IT'S PERSONA 5 RUMBLE FLY, WE WENT OVER THIS, DIDN'T WE, MY BOY?
LISTEN LADY DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER I WANT IT TO BE FAKE TOO ON THE JOKER STAGE SIDE BUT I'M HERE TO SPECULATE AND SPECULATE I SHALL

(gonna be real I really do hope it's proper Minecraft content because I enjoy that blocky art style more than this DQB art but-)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
After giving it some thought, i'm convinced that there are only two options for "brave". Those being Erdrick and friends as well as Yuri Lowell.

Amen to that. Man, this Mystic guy is just so damn reliable. Remember when he confirmed the Grinch leak for us?
Lol

We're assuming P5R to be a updated release far too quickly.
Mystic is known for his Persona/Atlus info. Of That he's got an amazing record. You can trust him on Atlus stuff at the very least.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
After giving it some thought, i'm convinced that there are only two options for "brave". Those being Erdrick and friends as well as Yuri Lowell.

Mystic is known for his Persona/Atlus info. Of That he's got an amazing record. You can trust him on Atlus stuff at the very least.
Honestly I just don't feel comfortable trusting him, did he have any clue about Joker in Smash?
P5R may very well not be an update. All I'm saying is an important fighting game figure quoting it with a vague message speaks volumes, as dumb as that may sound.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
One question:
Given the stats leaked, considering for a sec that Erdrick is not 100% confirmed yet, which characters from the seven of the Verge list fit the bill?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
One question:
Given the stats leaked, considering for a sec that Erdrick is not 100% confirmed yet, which characters from the seven of the Verge list fit the bill?
None of them.
Literally none of them except Erdrick can fit Brave like Eddy does.
Like, we can spin bull**** all day about how "WELL CRONO IS A /BRAVE/ HERO" but also that's stupid.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Mystic is a good dude who tends to assume a lot of stuff. He's not really gospel. I like him though.

I hope Brave isn't Yuri Lowell because I'd feel bad for DQ fans and because I'd much rather have Lloyd for the Tales rep but I'll get over it. Yuri is pretty and popular and maybe I can learn to enjoy Vesperia once I actually play it. I can't let an annoying fanbase hold me back because if I did that I'd never have started playing Minecraft. I will say though if the Direct really is the 10th things do point towards him just a little more.

That said, I absolutely feel that if Brave isn't DQ it in no way deconfirms DQ. It's just weird how we've heard so much about DQ and Square. I don't know man.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Mystic is a good dude who tends to assume a lot of stuff. He's not really gospel. I like him though.

I hope Brave isn't Yuri Lowell because I'd feel bad for DQ fans and because I'd much rather have Lloyd for the Tales rep but I'll get over it. Yuri is pretty and popular and maybe I can learn to enjoy Vesperia once I actually play it. I can't let an annoying fanbase hold me back because if I did that I'd never have started playing Minecraft. I will say though if the Direct really is the 10th things do point towards him just a little more.

That said, I absolutely feel that if Brave isn't DQ it in no way deconfirms DQ. It's just weird how we've heard so much about DQ and Square. I don't know man.
Oh yeah nothing personal against the dude he seems nice enough. Just don't feel comfortable putting 100% stokc in him.

Literally 0 feelings on Yuri ngl.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
None of them.
Literally none of them except Erdrick can fit Brave like Eddy does.
Like, we can spin bull**** all day about how "WELL CRONO IS A /BRAVE/ HERO" but also that's stupid.
I'm talking about stats, not the naming of the character.
And if I recall correctly, the framedata is nearly identical to joker's? Only his weight seems to be different? Someone correct me on this, pls.

Imho, the ones who fit the bill are 4 of the characters on the list, given the size, stats and framedata available.
Erdrick, Luminary, Sephiroth and Crono. I honestly think Erdrick is the one that better fits the bill, but I don't think it's impossible for any of the other characters to have such stats

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm talking about stats, not the naming of the character.
And if I recall correctly, the framedata is nearly identical to joker's? Only his weight seems to be different? Someone correct me on this, pls.

Imho, the ones who fit the bill are 4 of the characters on the list, given the size, stats and framedata available.
Erdrick, Luminary, Sephiroth and Crono. I honestly think Erdrick is the one that better fits the bill, but I don't think it's impossible for any of the other characters to have such stats
Oh I was mistaken.
Yeah, it'd have to be one of those 4.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Oh I was mistaken.
Yeah, it'd have to be one of those 4.
And if you want to spin bull**** for the other 3 characters (let's have some fun), it's quite easy. :4pacman:
- Luminary's ties with Erdrick are quite obvious, specially after playing DQXI.
- Sephiroth was the greatest SOLDIER to ever live, kinda like how Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader was seen as the greatest Jedi to ever live. And as a SOLDIER, he had a knack for that sort of thing. No odds stopped him before he realized his own origins.
- Crono is the definition of a brave character. He is a warrior that goes in an epic quest to save his friend from a time warp that to him couldn't be explained by what his time period perceived the world by.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And if you want to spin bull**** for the other 3 characters (let's have some fun), it's quite easy. :4pacman:
- Luminary's ties with Erdrick are quite obvious, specially after playing DQXI.
- Sephiroth was the greatest SOLDIER to ever live, kinda like how Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader was seen as the greatest Jedi to ever live. And as a SOLDIER, he had a knack for that sort of thing. No odds stopped him before he realized his own origins.
- Crono is the definition of a brave character. He is a warrior that goes in an epic quest to save his friend from a time warp that to him couldn't be explained by what his time period perceived the world by.
Thank ya Majora needed the laff

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Rex was too late for the base game, not DLC. 32 minute mark:

"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning had started." The video is accompanied by the caption "while Rex didn't quite make the roster..." which doesn't imply DLC.
have a picture version of that snippet i did a while ago
Rex couldn't make it.png
keep in dear mind
"titles like XB2" also includes stuff like ARMS, Star Allies, FE Echoes, FE3H, etc.
pretty much a lot of Switch/3DS stuff after late 2016/2017

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
have a picture version of that snippet i did a while ago
View attachment 185677keep in dear mind
"titles like XB2" also includes stuff like ARMS, Star Allies, FE Echoes, FE3H, etc.
pretty much a lot of Switch/3DS stuff after late 2016/2017
Which is still base roster. He's just a bonus DLC due to his popularity.

It's definitely not some clear case that DLC was planned super far hard in general(for the other 5), but he does make it clear that Rex was too late for the base roster. That's probably all he meant. Rex was probably the only DLC even remotely planned for a good while. PP might be otherwise at best. He didn't add to his original project plan or take away from it. So Rex was clearly planned from the start as a consolation prize. PP's in a different situation. There's no data till way later in development, so maybe he was base but pushed to DLC as a bonus option since many oddball characters have been met with dislike. Making him a free character but to also introduce DLC and try to show that unique/joke characters can be fun too, but still making it so he's not a necessary inclusion unlike the rest of the base roster. Any other Mario character of note likely had a hard role, or were ones like Geno, Square said no. And many weren't as feasible for a joke option either(King Boo is one of the few who would stick out. The thing that made PP work is it borrows from the rpg's and all kinds of related species, even summoning Petey). This might be why it got in over something like a Koopa Troopa(which was always very feasible. A Goomba likely is a bit too hard to make a fun moveset off of. A workable one is always doable for any character, but not always one that is fun to play and is interesting.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
Especially when those certain titles are fan translated and pretty darn good.
investigations 2 is one of my favorites in the series and it's japanese only, a fact that hurts me. please release it to the west so it can get the recognition it deserves lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom