• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is no different from the arguments of "there's no way they'd leave just Incineroar and Ken to be revealed in the final Direct!". You keep saying it makes no sense to follow up with another RPG character disconsidering the other factors that would make a DQ character reveal sensible.
Gurl, wut?

I legitimately said I believe it to be Erdrick, but I'm not and will never be a 100 percent certainity kind of guy/gal. I leave open and think of things that others will not and sometimes call me stupid or overreaching for, but I do it because I'm not blindly accepting things and trying to look at things from every possible and considerable angle.

The angle of them considering that maybe Erdrick or someone of his nature would be better suited for character 3 or 4 to show a bit more variety in the DLC fighters first is not unrealistic, however as I've also said it's not like Nintendo is the best at marketing in the first damn place, so it could very well not be an issue as you are saying.

I will end on however I find it's rather silly to be 100 percent certain it's Erdrick just because of Square/DQ rep rumors on the name ''Brave." and speed stats alone.

Lots of game characters can go by the ''Brave" codename as well as even other Square characters. All I'm simply arguing is for the possibility it's not Erdrick or Erdrick might even come later on.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I've seen people often bring up the comparison to Fire Emblem in Melee, trying to argue that Dragon Quest could benefit by being in Smash due to the 'Fire Emblem effect' thanks to the marketing boost. My experiences as detailed above are why I don't think that comparison makes much sense. It's two different scenarios. Fire Emblem was completely untested in the west when Melee came out, so people saw the two randos (in the base roster, and I'll get to this later) and were interested. Dragon Quest has already had a few chances to find its footing in the west and has had a hard time doing so. I don't think that a Dragon Quest character being in Smash is going to magically make Dragon Quest a hit here. It'll definitely draw in new fans, sure, I wouldn't deny that, but I don't know if it's going to have the effect that people are hoping for.
Gotta agree with this. I think i already said it way many pages ago, but DQ isn't gonna get that much more of new attention on the west just for having a character in smash. Whatever new fans it brings, it won't be that many if people aware of the franchise already don't care about it.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't hate the franchise, but I don't really like it either. I don't harbor ill feelings towards it, I just personally don't really care about it. I tried out a few of the series' games some years ago and didn't really hate 'em but didn't like them either. I found them to be a bit generic and not really as charming or endearing as most of Square's other series. My earliest memories of the series go back to some time in the '00s, I had a subscription to the monthly Shonen Jump magazine back then and one of the issues came with a demo disc for...I think it was DQ VIII? Don't really remember. I was excited to try it out because the art was done by Akira Toriyama. I remember not really enjoying it THAT much though. My reaction at the end was basically 'that was neat'. And then I never touched that demo disc again. I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere in my basement. Some years later, into the 2010's, I tried out a couple of the other games - some of the older ones - and again didn't enjoy them that much. My feeling towards the series has pretty much always been indifference.

I've seen people often bring up the comparison to Fire Emblem in Melee, trying to argue that Dragon Quest could benefit by being in Smash due to the 'Fire Emblem effect' thanks to the marketing boost. My experiences as detailed above are why I don't think that comparison makes much sense. It's two different scenarios. Fire Emblem was completely untested in the west when Melee came out, so people saw the two randos (in the base roster, and I'll get to this later) and were interested. Dragon Quest has already had a few chances to find its footing in the west and has had a hard time doing so. I don't think that a Dragon Quest character being in Smash is going to magically make Dragon Quest a hit here. It'll definitely draw in new fans, sure, I wouldn't deny that, but I don't know if it's going to have the effect that people are hoping for.

Especially since - these characters aren't going to be in the base roster, like Marth and Roy were for Melee. I have to imagine that if Marth and Roy were released in a separate "expansion pack" for Melee back then rather than having them in the base roster, the impact may have been different. As a young lad back then, I know I probably wouldn't have been willing to ask my parents to buy me a Fire Emblem expansion pack if I didn't even know what Fire Emblem was. A Mario one? Sure, awesome. A Pokemon one? Fantastic, sign me up. However, since Marth and Roy were in the base roster, I played around with them, had fun, and became interested in trying out their series that I had never heard of before. If a Dragon Quest character was in the base roster of Ultimate, I probably would have played around with them a bit, but ultimately would not have been interested in picking up any other Dragon Quest games as I already know that I don't like them.

And since a Dragon Quest character ISN'T in the base roster of Ultimate, I definitely won't be interested in buying the DLC. Again, if they were base roster, I would have played around with them once or twice since they're there, but if I have to pay extra for them, nah I'm good. I know people are going to shout at me for "are you crazy?? you want LESS content?", but I don't really feel like spending money, even if it's just a few bucks, for a piece of content that I'm never going to use. For reference, I also never bought Bayonetta or Corrin in Smash 4. Even in Ultimate, I unlocked them, used them once for Classic mode and then that was it. I also never bought any of the Mii character costumes aside from the K. Rool/Geno costumes to show support for those characters, as I never used the Mii fighters so it would have been wasted money IMO. I definitely plan on buying the DLC piece by piece rather than going all in on the full fighter pack.

Anyways, I kind of got way off my original point, so sorry for the long winded post...I tend to go off on long posts like this. I hope that some people can see where I'm coming from with all of this, even if they don't agree. I'm not trying to come off as overly negative or like I'm trying to put anyone down - I just tried to make a simple post at the start and then it got kind of long...I spent a bit of time typing all that out so I don't feel like deleting it lol. All that said, I would be happy for DQ's fans if Erdrick got in. It's a video game and there's no reason to be petty or anything. I hope everyone gets what they want. I hope that Dragon Quest fans can be happy they got their character. I definitely wouldn't be mad if Erdrick got in or anything. I'm way too old to be getting mad at characters in a video game...and as I said I don't DISLIKE Dragon Quest, I just like most other Square Enix series way more, and would prefer Crono or Neku or something. While a Dragon Quest character would be the least hype Square Enix character rep for me, I do think all signs are pointing toward one being the likely SE choice, and I understand one would be really hype for other people and I'm cool with that. While my personal reaction to Erdrick would be "nah I'm not buying this", it would be with a laugh and a smile on my face because I'm still playing this game and enjoying the characters that already are in the game and getting excited for the DLC characters that I DO enjoy. Also I don't really frequent this thread so apologies if most of what I've said has already been repeated ad nauseam before.

Although I will admit that back in the Brawl days I thought that Slime would be a really funny character choice in the vein of a Goomba or something so I unironically supported him for a while. Slime's design also always reminded me of Gooey from Kirby so I like him because of that. I still think that if any Dragon Quest character were to get in, I would prefer it to be Slime. Although we already got Piraña Plant for the 'random enemy' character so it's probably not happening.

anyways, to get back to the original question, i feel like there's a part of me that resents dragon quest simply because whenever i see people initialing it as DQ i read it as dairy queen and i love dairy queen so i get hungry whenever i see people do that
That was a real adventure of a read.

Power to you dude.

D

Deleted member

I don't hate the franchise, but I don't really like it either. I don't harbor ill feelings towards it, I just personally don't really care about it. I tried out a few of the series' games some years ago and didn't really hate 'em but didn't like them either. I found them to be a bit generic and not really as charming or endearing as most of Square's other series. My earliest memories of the series go back to some time in the '00s, I had a subscription to the monthly Shonen Jump magazine back then and one of the issues came with a demo disc for...I think it was DQ VIII? Don't really remember. I was excited to try it out because the art was done by Akira Toriyama. I remember not really enjoying it THAT much though. My reaction at the end was basically 'that was neat'. And then I never touched that demo disc again. I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere in my basement. Some years later, into the 2010's, I tried out a couple of the other games - some of the older ones - and again didn't enjoy them that much. My feeling towards the series has pretty much always been indifference.

Especially since - these characters aren't going to be in the base roster, like Marth and Roy were for Melee. I have to imagine that if Marth and Roy were released in a separate "expansion pack" for Melee back then rather than having them in the base roster, the impact may have been different. As a young lad back then, I know I probably wouldn't have been willing to ask my parents to buy me a Fire Emblem expansion pack if I didn't even know what Fire Emblem was. A Mario one? Sure, awesome. A Pokemon one? Fantastic, sign me up. However, since Marth and Roy were in the base roster, I played around with them, had fun, and became interested in trying out their series that I had never heard of before. If a Dragon Quest character was in the base roster of Ultimate, I probably would have played around with them a bit, but ultimately would not have been interested in picking up any other Dragon Quest games as I already know that I don't like them.

And since a Dragon Quest character ISN'T in the base roster of Ultimate, I definitely won't be interested in buying the DLC. Again, if they were base roster, I would have played around with them once or twice since they're there, but if I have to pay extra for them, nah I'm good. I know people are going to shout at me for "are you crazy?? you want LESS content?", but I don't really feel like spending money, even if it's just a few bucks, for a piece of content that I'm never going to use. For reference, I also never bought Bayonetta or Corrin in Smash 4. Even in Ultimate, I unlocked them, used them once for Classic mode and then that was it. I also never bought any of the Mii character costumes aside from the K. Rool/Geno costumes to show support for those characters, as I never used the Mii fighters so it would have been wasted money IMO. I definitely plan on buying the DLC piece by piece rather than going all in on the full fighter pack.

Anyways, I kind of got way off my original point, so sorry for the long winded post...I tend to go off on long posts like this. I hope that some people can see where I'm coming from with all of this, even if they don't agree. I'm not trying to come off as overly negative or like I'm trying to put anyone down - I just tried to make a simple post at the start and then it got kind of long...I spent a bit of time typing all that out so I don't feel like deleting it lol. All that said, I would be happy for DQ's fans if Erdrick got in. It's a video game and there's no reason to be petty or anything. I hope everyone gets what they want. I hope that Dragon Quest fans can be happy they got their character. I definitely wouldn't be mad if Erdrick got in or anything. I'm way too old to be getting mad at characters in a video game...and as I said I don't DISLIKE Dragon Quest, I just like most other Square Enix series way more, and would prefer Crono or Neku or something. While a Dragon Quest character would be the least hype Square Enix character rep for me, I do think all signs are pointing toward one being the likely SE choice, and I understand one would be really hype for other people and I'm cool with that. While my personal reaction to Erdrick would be "nah I'm not buying this", it would be with a laugh and a smile on my face because I'm still playing this game and enjoying the characters that already are in the game and getting excited for the DLC characters that I DO enjoy. Also I don't really frequent this thread so apologies if most of what I've said has already been repeated ad nauseam before.

Although I will admit that back in the Brawl days I thought that Slime would be a really funny character choice in the vein of a Goomba or something so I unironically supported him for a while. Slime's design also always reminded me of Gooey from Kirby so I like him because of that. I still think that if any Dragon Quest character were to get in, I would prefer it to be Slime. Although we already got Piraña Plant for the 'random enemy' character so it's probably not happening.

anyways, to get back to the original question, i feel like there's a part of me that resents dragon quest simply because whenever i see people initialing it as DQ i read it as dairy queen and i love dairy queen so i get hungry whenever i see people do that
This is am interesting view and fun read. That point on Fire Emblem is interesting though, I haven’t seen anybody else bring that up.
Also who’s to say we aren’t actually talking about Dairy Queen when we say DQ.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I do find the speed stats more compelling and damning for a lot of characters than just the Brave codename.

You can sort of narrow down even potential Square reps with those stats. Like if it's certainly not Geno or Sora unless Sakurai just took liberties because both of them would be probably be a little more speedier than that speed state implies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just a random thought, it's so refreshing to see someone make actual points against dragon quest while actually being civil about it lol

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I do find the speed stats more compelling and daming for a lot of characters than just the Brave codename.

You can sort of narrow down even potential Square reps with those stats. Like if it's certainly not Geno or Sora unless Sakurai just took liberties because both of them would be probably be a little more speedier than that speed state implies.
Geno was the fastest character in SMRPG, so if it is not faster than his party members, it's likely not him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Geno was the fastest character in SMRPG, so if it is not faster than his party members, it's likely not him.
I mean I don't know Mario, Bowser, and Peach's speed stats because I typically don't pay attention to that kind of stuff as a Smash fan myself.

I just do recall that he was indeed the speediest team member in Super Mario RPG.

And Sora is a very agile, speedy fighter in his source game as well, so...

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
This is am interesting view and fun read. That point on Fire Emblem is interesting though, I haven’t seen anybody else bring that up.
Also who’s to say we aren’t actually talking about Dairy Queen when we say DQ.
Wait we were talking about Dragon Quest this entire time I was talking about Dairy Queen forget erdrick we can put the Blizzard in there (I hope I got the name right)

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
There's a lot of things to talk about here, but I just want to say that "DQ enemies are only visible during combat" is incorrect if you meant every single game is like that in the main series.
One of the big changes in Dragon Quest XI is that you can see all the enemies roamin' around now. You have the choice to trigger battle with them or not by walking into or pre-emptive striking them.
However, if you're not higher level than the certain enemy types that are aggressive, they'll spot then run towards you to try and start battle by chasing after you.
They did this so you can choose who you actually want to fight, whether you want to, and if there are enemies you specifically want to farm on.
The person I was arguing with was against using later games in the franchise as a reference, stating that DQ was the start of random encounters and all of the best/most well-known games used them or because it was the biggest influence. It's not like I didn't know anything you were talking about (Heck, the first and only DQ game I've ever played was IX), but since I knew (s)he was against using later games in the argument, I decided to avoid it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Would they really give Joker a 2nd trailer after he already got a fully animated one? If he did, it would probably be an in-engine trailer, so Erdrick wouldn’t get a CGi trailer. Can’t really see it happening tbh.
Doesn't have to be an RPG themed specifically. You're thinking too much about it. It could be a DLC themed direct segment.
Gameplay footage of PP and Joker, and then the surprise reveal.

Also, didn't Simon come right after Ridley? Haven't seen anyone confused saying the roster is full of metroidvania characters.

D

Deleted member

I think that the situation with Dragon Quest is more akin to MH pre-World than anything else, it had a few million seller successes in the west with VIII and IX, XI seems in a good track, and few entries sell decently in the west but still Japan is its most important market.

That said, I don't think that Smash in particular is a huge push in sales to any series. FE in particular only got really popular in the west when Awakening was released about 10 years later of the series western debut. Most of the relationship I see between Smash and the franchises that are represented is one of synergy of each part reminding yourself of the other part instead of one part promoting the other in particular, which is why I think Sakurai at some point mentioned that he likes to normally add franchises that still have releases.

If anything for DQ becoming a decent success in the west requires consistency in the releases (as we normally have to wait a few years in between releases here), decent marketing (DQXI seems to be selling well despite a bit lousy marketing), and finding a public that likes the style of DQ (which I believe exists considering the successes of previous entries and other recent turn based JRPGs like BD and Octopath).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Doesn't have to be an RPG themed specifically. You're thinking too much about it. It could be a DLC themed direct segment.
Gameplay footage of PP and Joker, and then the surprise reveal.

Also, didn't Simon come right after Ridley? Haven't seen anyone confused saying the roster is full of metroidvania characters.
I’m mostly playing devil’s advocate. A DLC themed direct section seems likely yeah. Although simon was revealed with Rool so I don’t think that’s a valid comparison.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
i gotta ask cuz I've always wondered why do you want Phoenix so much I'm curious
Oh a multitude of reasons.

First off, he's my most-wanted. He's amongst my absolutely favorite video game protagonists. Most of my others have already gotten in.

But yeah, Phoenix, I feel, deserves some more recognition. It's also a matter of how high it could raise his series in the public eye.

Hopefully enough so that Capcom can treat it better and actually start localizing certain titles.

That's the summarization of it generally.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

First off, he's my most-wanted. He's amongst my absolutely favorite video game protagonists. Most of my others have already gotten in.

But yeah, Phoenix, I feel, deserves some more recognition. It's also a matter of how high it could raise his series in the public eye.

Hopefully enough so that Capcom can treat it better and actually start localizing certain titles.

Especially when those certain titles are fan translated and pretty darn good.

Untouch

Smash Master
  1. Joker
  2. Erdrick
  3. Ryu
Ahh too many JRPGs this is awful!

1. Joker
  2. Ryu
  3. Erdrick
Ah much better.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Especially when those certain titles are fan translated and pretty darn good.

Oh, and of course, I also support Phoenix Wright because he lends himself to a spectacularly wide range of moveset potential. Mustn't forget that part! XD

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1546577247/

lol reading 2ch's thoughts on the leak, they still think it won't be dragon quest because it isn't popular enough in the west and they know the western audience will be angry
Should come out of Dragon Quest
Too much too late
Impact on Japanese games is immeasurable
Old games makers who were affected by such games

Even if foreigners are not interested, it's a respectable series. Dragon Quest is
This guy gets it

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know what's funny.

Even if Brave meant someone else, let's Say Yuri, or Agnes, or even Sora due to his Brave Exvius appearance if we grasp at straws.
Every known Character that's related to the Word "Brave". They're still all from jRPGs.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You know what's funny.

Even if Brave meant someone else, let's Say Yuri, or Agnes, or even Sora due to his Brave Exvius appearance if we grasp at straws.
Every known Character that's related to the Word "Brave". They're still all from jRPGs.
Even my jokey "bravery -> determination" Undertale conspiracy theory would lead to an RPG rep. It's pretty funny.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You know what's funny.

If Yuri or Sora happened, I'd still think all characters will be promotional third-parties.

It could be almost any DQ protagonist. Most of them are proportionally similar, with a couple exceptions.
It could not be Erdrick, but instead another DQ heroe.
There's always the possibility we'll get multiple heroes as alt costumes (i mean not just recolors but actual models à la Koopalings) with Erdrick being the 'main' costume (like Bowser Jr.).

Not saying it's likely (there's no reason to believe so) but it would be a dream scenario imo.

It would make a lot of DQ fans happy and it would be a great way to represent a big chunk of DQ's legacy in one character.

Also, what if...
He's a HERO too!! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

:p
If Erdrick is our rep (very likely), modders will make it happen, mark my words ;)

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
There's always the possibility we'll get multiple heroes as alt costumes (i mean not just recolors but actual models à la Koopalings) with Erdrick being the 'main' costume (like Bowser Jr.).

Not saying it's likely (there's no reason to believe so) but it would be a dream scenario imo.

It would make a lot of DQ fans happy and it would be a great way to represent a big chunk of DQ's legacy in one character.

Also, what if...
He's a HERO too!! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

:p
If Erdrick is our rep (very likely), modders will make it happen, mark my words ;)
Lets get Saiyaman into DBZF first.
Seriously where is he Namco?

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I think the really interesting part will be seeing the artstyle in the smash style, making such a distinct look fit in with the rest.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I would've preferred to see Sora in Smash, but I admit getting him would be a miracle. I never touched Dragon Quest, but I wouldn't be too upset to send angry phone calls to Nintendo's offices. The most I'll probably do is post that Colbert Balloon gif and maybe make a prequel meme

I am rather curious in how the Dragon Quest content is gonna be handled. Are we gonna get the bare minimal like with Final Fantasy, or a giant love letter to Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

I would've preferred to see Sora in Smash, but I admit getting him would be a miracle. I never touched Dragon Quest, but I wouldn't be too upset to send angry phone calls to Nintendo's offices. The most I'll probably do is post that Colbert Balloon gif and maybe make a prequel meme

I am rather curious in how the Dragon Quest content is gonna be handled. Are we gonna get the bare minimal like with Final Fantasy, or a giant love letter to Dragon Quest.
It could honestly go either way, but I doubt that it would be as ****ed as FF in terms of content. Nintendo has been working with SE as well as the three main rights holders for DECADES on DQ related things, I'm very confident we would at least get a fair share of content got it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think the really interesting part will be seeing the artstyle in the smash style, making such a distinct look fit in with the rest.
This is one of the many key factors of why o want a DQ Hero in Smash.

I'm just upset he didn't make it to Smash 4, where everyone got a poster drawn by the og artist.
We @$&+$ng missed it!
Mario, C.Falcon, DK, Link, and Peach drawn by Akira Toriyama!
=( No way in this Timeline that this will ever happen now.

Minik

Smash Journeyman

I'm just upset he didn't make it to Smash 4, where everyone got a poster drawn by the og artist.
We @$&+$ng missed it!
Might get something randomly, doesn't have to be a poster for the website. Maybe an animated trailer.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I do find the speed stats more compelling and damning for a lot of characters than just the Brave codename.

Well from my memory of playing kingdom hearts I don't think sora was particularly fast, using the roll ability and other such skills made you move faster. Sora's air movement is vastly speedier than his walking/running speed. Still that said I don't think Spra is the 'brave' that the datamine is referring to.

D

Deleted member

We @$&+$ng missed it!
Castlevania got a picture mocking the original game cover and I believe Persona got an Illustration, we might be in luck.

D

Deleted member

We @$&+$ng missed it!
Joker and Inkling got art at least, so maybe it could happen.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Might get something randomly, doesn't have to be a poster for the website. Maybe an animated trailer.
Ooooh I hope we get an animated trailer! Done by bird studio or toei, not sure which one does animation (I think it's Toei)

Castlevania got a picture mocking the original game cover and I believe Persona got an Illustration, we might be in luck.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Is it on the Main site though?

Joker and Inkling got art at least, so maybe it could happen.
Hmm I hope so.
I've only seen the Inkling one.

Top Bottom