• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Maybe it's time the Geno fans move from requesting him for Smash to requesting him in general.

Operation Starfall anyone?
As someone who really didn't support Geno for Smash, I'd love to show support for Geno for appearing again.

I think the Mario series has a lot to gain with Geno (and Mallo), and I'd love it if he made some more guest appearances., be it a mainline game, sports, or even another RPG.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wish I could believe you Fatman but I just don't think I can. This is the "over" for me.
If Squenix was so uncooperative that Erdrick was pulled from base I don't think I can believe they'll also throw in Geno as DLC.
I still say it's apples and oranges. Dragon Quest is a **** salad with extra ranch liscensing wise. It would have been complicated no matter how you slice it. On the other hand, Geno's already in the game in multiple forms. Still, people can believe what they want but I'm seeing how things play out and won't be totally doneski until all 5 have been revealed, the Mii costume comes back, and/or it's outright confirmed there isn't going to be a Season 2.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's funny to me how we're coming together specifically to hold up the Geno fans
I think it's because out of everyone on the list he has the least amount of a future
Crono's got every single port in existence haha, and besides those two everyone else on that list is basically thriving

Heartwarming imo
I think the uncertainty has just been washed away. Now that we know who is likely in, people are now focusing on other matters of Square related value.
Still heartwarming though. And kinda funny, considering Geno and Erdrick are the only two characters that are ever talked about ad nauseam here, so naturally we would move onto Geno when Erdrick gets confirmed.

D

Deleted member

As someone who really didn't support Geno for Smash, I'd love to show support for Geno for appearing again.

I think the Mario series has a lot to gain with Geno (and Mallo), and I'd love it if he made some more guest appearances., be it a mainline game, sports, or even another RPG.
This is pretty much how I feel as well. By introducing him to the general, causal audience that would ease him into Smash much more in my opinion.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Perhaps straying more off of the topic, but if I were to, say, start a topic on Operation Starfall ( DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon with you being cited for credit, I am totes ganking that), where would be the best place? Nintenzone in the Mario universe section or what?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
All I ask is that Erdrick looks like this in Smash. Sakurai, please, please do not go with that awful chibi design that SE wisely moved on from since 1996, because if you want to make Dragon Quest appealing to the West, Erdrick has to look "cool".

300px-Hero3male.png

Also I really want Female Erdrick in Smash because I used her in my first DQ3 playthrough.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Square’s also set up a division entirely dedicated to Switch games and just a few months ago released a well-selling switch exclusive.
And Square has noted their desire to make full blown remakes of their old games.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
To be fair, this is more the fault of leakers than Nintendo themselves.
For that long?? That would suggest that DLC was decided on for quite some time.

Something about this codename.

The codename does leave some things to the imagination. Could be DQ, any hero, could be from Bravely Default, could be Sephiroth. Could be anyone hidden under that codename. They'd be the only one who needs a hidden codename as the other two are already known officially.
Joker was in 0.9, btw. He was found as early as November 29th when people were pirating the game, interestingly enough. His stats have remained mostly unchanged. Brave was added in 1.1, though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
All I ask is that Erdrick looks like this in Smash. Sakurai, please, please do not go with that awful chibi design that SE wisely moved on from since 1996, because if you want to make Dragon Quest appealing to the West, Erdrick has to look "cool".

View attachment 185450

Also I really want Female Erdrick in Smash because I used her in my first DQ3 playthrough.
I must concur! Let us go with the design with the colors as tacky as that one Pit alt color

Lol, I just gotta joke about Erdrick now that he's basically confirmed

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I must concur! Let us go with the design with the colors as tacky as that one Pit alt color

Lol, I just gotta joke about Erdrick now that he's basically confirmed
I want this design because it would likely have a fem alt, which is a design that I like more than all the rest.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing the leaks that list more than DQ and Joker just lied after those 2? Claiming Tracer is gonna be in smash, especially this early with no hard evidence. Seems like they could've had this info and been like "if they know i have actual legit info then i can mix a few lies in here too"

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Joker was in 0.9, btw. He was found as early as November 29th when people were pirating the game, interestingly enough. His stats have remained mostly unchanged. Brave was added in 1.1, though.
Fascinating. That could suggest that we have another reveal due soon given the past proximity to Joker's reveal.

Would be funny if this "Brave" person is Phoenix Wright after all, Edea Lee, Agnes or Sephiroth.

Untouch

Smash Master
Just a heads up, you cannot look into stats to determine who the character is, it is incredibly inconsistent.

Run Speed:
Brave - 1.74
Megaman -1.602
Lucario - 1.705

Weight:
Brave - 101
Megaman - 102
Lucario - 92

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I have a few questions here and I'm going to attempt to be as respectful as possible

For the fans of Dragon Quest and supporters of Erdrick/Hero/Whoever I'd really like to know what your ideal playstyle of the character would be and what exactly would make them unique in the context of Smash Bros.

I've played a few Dragon Quest games (original trilogy), none to completion but certainly enough to know what sort of games they are, and how the player character operates. My interpretation of the Dragon Quest series is essentially the archetypal RPG, a kind of translation of a table top game to a video game with enough aspects changed to streamline the experience. The player character being an avatar with no real personality that the player is supposed to project themselves on.

As for combat, it's barebones turn-based, with the player character really primarily being a physical attacker, using a sword, with a few mostly status affecting spells (but with very powerful offensive and healing spells as you progress).

When I think of a character whose primary function is to swing a sword and be a vehicle to move the story along, I think Link. But unlike Link, the DQ protagonists don't really seem to associated with a variety of weapons and items. You'd be hard pressed to find any promotional material of the heroes from DQ I-III using any of the whip or boomerang weapons, for example. And since he's limited to the sword in that regard, is there really anything that would set the character apart from a Mii Swordsman moveset?

I ask because I struggle to see what would encourage people to purchase the character who aren't already fans of Dragon Quest. I'm really not seeing any unique niches that could only be filled by a Dragon Quest hero. Piranha Plant is incredibly unique, Joker brings a lot to the table, but what sets a DQ hero apart from any other sword character?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

New to Smashboards but Congrats to the DQ fans for getting representation in Smash I may not like it one bit but DQ does have quite a Legacy and influenced a lot about current RPG's and the Genre in General. Also R.I.P To the beautiful Doll Boy himself Geno, He would've been great but I guess it's just not our time to shine.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...I don't know why the forums alerted me to this thread after I unwatched it, but- That's a mighty spicy rumor you've got going around. Only the future can really verify it at this point, I reckon.

D

Deleted member

I have a few questions here and I'm going to attempt to be as respectful as possible

For the fans of Dragon Quest and supporters of Erdrick/Hero/Whoever I'd really like to know what your ideal playstyle of the character would be and what exactly would make them unique in the context of Smash Bros.

I've played a few Dragon Quest games (original trilogy), none to completion but certainly enough to know what sort of games they are, and how the player character operates. My interpretation of the Dragon Quest series is essentially the archetypal RPG, a kind translation of a table top game to a video game with enough aspects changed to streamline the experience. The player character being an avatar with no real personality that the player is supposed to project themselves on.

As for combat, it's barebones turn-based, with the player character really primarily being a physical attacker, using a sword, with a few mostly status affecting spells (but with very powerful offensive and healing spells as you progress).

When I think of a character whose primary function is to swing a sword and be a vehicle to move the story along, I think Link. But unlike Link, the DQ protagonists don't really seem to associated with a variety of weapons and items. You'd be hard pressed to find any promotional material of the heroes from DQ I-III using any of the whip or boomerang weapons, for example. And since he's limited to the sword in that regard, is there really anything that would set the character apart from a Mii Swordsman moveset?

I ask because I struggle to see what would encourage people to purchase the character who aren't already fans of Dragon Quest. I'm really not seeing any unique niches that could only be filled by a Dragon Quest hero. Piranha Plant is incredibly unique, Joker brings a lot to the table, but what sets a DQ hero apart from any other sword character?
I'd like for them to be a jack of all trades character; incorporating all sorts of weapons and magic into their moveset, since that's basically what the protagonist of nearly every Dragon Quest game does.
So they could use not only a sword but a spear for some moves, an axe for other moves, etc. as well as various offensive magic like Crack (bolts of ice), Sizz (rolling wave of fire), and Zap (a large thunderbolt).
New to Smashboards but Congrats to the DQ fans for getting representation in Smash I may not like it one bit but DQ does have quite a Legacy and influenced a lot about current RPG's and the Genre in General. Also R.I.P To the beautiful Doll Boy himself Geno, He would've been great but I guess it's just not our time to shine.
Welcome! If you take a look back a few pages there's been a lot of discussion to get Geno back into the Mario franchise, you should get in on that for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
...I don't know why the forums alerted me to this thread after I unwatched it, but- That's a mighty spicy rumor you've got going around. Only the future can really verify it at this point, I reckon.
It just really wanted you to know this new info. It's sentient like that.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Would be funny if this "Brave" person is Phoenix Wright after all, Edea Lee, Agnes or Sephiroth.
All of which, are plausible, I must admit.
Just a heads up, you cannot look into stats to determine who the character is, it is incredibly inconsistent.

Run Speed:
Brave - 1.74
Megaman -1.602
Lucario - 1.705

Weight:
Brave - 101
Megaman - 102
Lucario - 92
Let's not forget how Ridley, the biggest fighter, is of lighter weight than expected as well.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think the Geno community has a bit of a fear of spreading the support thin.

Edit: I support the idea, I am just thinking aloud about what I may have noticed as a whole.
Then move your support.

It's obvious if Geno doesn't get in now, he'll never get in unless something changes.

So make something change.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’ll still keep supporting for Geno if I were you.

Sakurai knows his popularity, Nintendo most likely knows his popularity, and now SE knows his popularity if they deliberately used Geno in leaks.

Geno is very close to the tipping point because everyone that would be responsible for his inclusion knows how strong Geno’s support is at this point. There’s just one thing that Geno needs at this point that finally tips the scale and make him into a fully playable character.

Whether that be making him appear in more Mario crossovers, or something else, Geno has been closest he’s been to getting a go ahead, and stopping now will only make that dream go away.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I

View attachment 185450

I really do hope that this is the design for Erdrick they chose for him. I've always loved this design whenever I think of Erdrick. He just looks completely badass. If were to go off on other older character designs, for MegaMan its completely the NES sprite also the same goes for Simon Belmont. Its the NES desgin just uprgraded in HD, I really hope that they give Erdrick this same treatment.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
EarlTamm EarlTamm

It was, at the very least, an amusing read yes.

...especially I was currently analyzing the wierd connection that Custom Robo and Dragon Quest have...I didn't knoww that NOISE made some sort of Overseas DQ mobile game.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
The thing that a few or many people who are unaware of DQ is that..

Nintendo is also the producer of DQ alongside SE

Strengthening the chance as having a better relationship towards Nintendo than many SE franchises.

If Nintendo is the one who decides which SE must be allowed as DLC, they will chose DQ instead.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So, if I understand the **** storm happening, a character exists deep in the game’s code that is known as Brave and has certain attributes.

And we’re just assuming Dragon Quest is this Brave because of supposed other information and the translation?

As long as it’s not a Bravely character, I don’t really mind since that’s my personal worst case scenario for a Square rep.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Then move your support.

It's obvious if Geno doesn't get in now, he'll never get in unless something changes.

So make something change.
I don't think that is the outright solution. It's clear that this current game plan can work(Look at Ridley and K.Rool), it just needs varying amounts of time. Plus, we should just not abandon Smash support all together, as that has been this community's backbone and motivator for over a decade. We just need to do more outside the Smash community.

D

Deleted member

I for some reason feel that Erdrick's design will end up being an updated NES design, like the new style Toriyama has been using by IX.

That said, while I'm not too keen on Geno, I seriously like the Starfall idea and a potential SMRPG2 or SMRPGHD. If it ends up happening I hope to warm more to Geno.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hmm... very interesting.

I do have one question though...

What were those extra stats found in the previous datamine relating to if they weren’t for Piranha Plant?

The data I’m referring to had a weight of 94, run speed of 1.12, and an air speed of 1.

I wouldn’t normally pay attention to this, but I know for a fact that no character, including Joker or “Brave” has a run speed of 1.12. (I made threads of all the weight, run speed, and air speed prior to Ultimate’s release)

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
So, be honest with me guys: how many of you have lost your optimism on the Pass with Erdrick's nigh-inevitable presence? Just asking out of curiosity.

Top Bottom