• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Man, all this DQ stuff is making me want to try and play Dragon Quest 9 again. I think I stopped at some Heaven area or something, but I played that game a decade ago. Can’t remember **** dawg.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Cue a quick google search

Oh, uh...You uh- you all mean to me there is a character actually called 'Sol Badguy'? I uh- I thought we were talking about Nightmare...you know, the 'Soul (Calibur) bad guy'. I'm both embarrassed and kind of disappointed that I've been bested when it comes to claiming such a laughable name as my own.

-------------

Nemuresu Nemuresu

No change, really. I didn't buy any DLC fighters from Smash 4 as I knew they wouldn't interest me as standalone purchases (Even Roy, my Melee Secondary)...that and I had a theory that we'd get a new Smash to begin development near immediately after Smash 4 so...why bother? Now in Ultimate, I still haven't tried out any of the DLC fighters from Smash 4. So...As a Package Deal, the Fighter's Pack still means nothing to me.

On the individual character scale I have no love for the Persona (Barring the music) or Dragon Quest series, but I'm glad the former is getting a character and the latter is shaping up to get one once we get official confirmation.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The best way for me to accept Erdrick is if he has an Eight alt, and there's a solid chance due to Tansut's claim that Erdrick has male/female variations that that will Not Happen

Epic!!!

Calane

Smash Ace
So if I'm understanding all of this right, "Brave" is actually supposed to say "Hero", and it's some kind of codename for a DQ character found via data mining Smash Ultimate. That's the gist of it, right?

From what I've seen here, "Jack" is the name used for "Joker", so would it be logical to assume that "Brave"/"Hero" is just a codename and the character will actually be called "Erdrick" in-game? That, along with Luminary, is the name Verge and others have been hearing, right?

If Luminary almost always being mentioned alongside Erdrick actually means something, I would assume that Erdrick is using his "SNES Design", as Luminary wouldn't work as an alt otherwise.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
We’ll have to see if Erdrick has the Luminary and Anlucia(it however you spell her name) alts. If he does, it bodes well for the DOOM leak.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ugh, I'd much rather the Famicon design instead of Gohan in cosplay. Tho when it comes to Smash they've always been good at giving everyone their best designs for the most part. (You can be subjective about Zelda all you want, I won't hear it.)
You could still give Erdrick realistic proportions and make him not look like Gohan. Just look at him in DQMBRV.

DQMBRV_-_Hero_-_III.png

But eh, I suppose everyone has their preferences.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Can I ask why everyone is suddenly hopping on the Ryu/Doomguy/Steve leak? Is there any evidence other than having an already announced character and a guy that insiders call by far the most likely?
Aside from Erdrick basically being confirmed at this point and Vergeben saying that he's heard of DQ ports coming to Switch, not really.

The DQ ports seem like something you could guess, so I'm not sold, even though the leak has one of my most wanted characters (maybe you can guess who haha)
You could still give Erdrick realistic proportions and make him not look like Gohan. Just look at him in DQMBRV.

View attachment 185471

Forget the other two Erdrick designs, this one is clearly the best.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So if I'm understanding all of this right, "Brave" is actually supposed to say "Hero", and it's some kind of codename for a DQ character found via data mining Smash Ultimate. That's the gist of it, right?
The JP name for the class that Erdrick created is "Yuusha" Which directly translates to "Brave" and often localized as "Hero" (Can be seen in Fire Emblem's Hero Class) which is the localized name of the class in DQ.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So, be honest with me guys: how many of you have lost your optimism on the Pass with Erdrick's nigh-inevitable presence? Just asking out of curiosity.
If it's real, then I just made the DLC Fighter's Pass for me, tbh.
My original plan was to handpick the ones I wanted. But if Erdrick / DQ Hero is in, then I want as many interactions between him and the rest of the DQ cast.

I really hope we get Palutena's guidance for all DLC characters.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
de from Erdrick basically being confirmed at this point and Vergeben saying that he's heard of DQ ports coming to Switch, not really.

The DQ ports seem like something you could guess, so I'm not sold, even though the leak has one of my most wanted characters (maybe you can guess who haha)
Yeah, but that thankfully has nothing to do with the Doom Steve leak.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, be honest with me guys: how many of you have lost your optimism on the Pass with Erdrick's nigh-inevitable presence? Just asking out of curiosity.
I already bought the Pass last month anyway. If we are indeed getting a Dragon Quest character whether this is Slime, Erdrick, DQ8 Hero, or any other DQ Hero, I will be very happy with that. I love the Dragon Quest series.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm playing through Persona 5 right now and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite games. I bought the Fighter Pass on Joker alone. As a massive Dragon Ball fan, I'm pretty excited about seeing a Toriyama character realized in Smash.

So, doing pretty good over here.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Seriously! Like, where has this design been in the 151 pages that yall have been flaunting about with that Gohan cosplay image?

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, bring on the NES superdeformed version of Erdrick. Anything to make him more visually interesting and not have people mistake him for Fire Emblem.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Well, you're right. I discussed it over with somebody who i will not name and it's fine now. However, I will elaborate on this situation.

This has been known since base game, and "Brave" since 1.1. I can verify that @xenother knew about this before even I did. So credit to him. Anyways, this wasn't supposed to be public, but somebody posted about it on Twitter apparently, and then Jam1 decided to be open about it. Why is it so bad? Well, Kurogane himself went out of his way to ask his friends to not be open with it. And lo and behold, somebody went and spread it around in private. We don't know who it is, but this spread with ill intent. It's unfortunate, really. Ugh.
yeah this wasn't supposed to be public at all
Kurogane wanted to discuss this with a couple of insiders to see if this connects to whatever was rumored (like the 5ch rumor) or what's floating in their circles
now Nintendo is probably gonna catch wind and start hiding stuff again like the last time (see: Roy and Ryu)

i'm still wondering how the **** this came out so soon?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The funny thing is that SE has always been using that modern design of Erdrick in series cross-overs, and he looks less and less like Goku/Gohan in each appearance.

350px-DQMBR_Heroes.png

D

Deleted member

The funny thing is that SE has always been using that modern design of Erdrick in series cross-overs, and he looks less and less like Goku/Gohan in each appearance.

View attachment 185481
I know its probably supposed to be intentional, but I find it funny how it looks like the faces for the heroes are literally copy-pasted.

Calane

Smash Ace
Honestly, DQ was the only thing I really wanted out of DLC, so getting Erdrick would leave me completely satisfied with everything no matter who else got in. Needless to say, I'm more optimistic than ever if it actually happens.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Man, if Erdrick isn't in after all of this, I don't know if I'll ever be confident about something ever again lol. Although Brave is pretty ambiguous, after all the evidence in Erdrick's favor, it's quite obviously him. At least Nintendo tried to hide it I guess

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, DQ was the only thing I really wanted out of DLC, so getting Erdrick would leave me completely satisfied with everything no matter who else got in. Needless to say, I'm more optimistic than ever if it actually happens.
Sounds like Erdrick/Hero for you would be like Joker was for me. Happy for you if this comes to pass and I just picked up the DQ3 Android port to finally give this legendary series a shot thanks to you, liquidmetalslime, and the rest. Gotta say the DQ fans in this thread have been very gracious and fun to speculate with.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
If we're being honest here.....

Sora always seemed more like a Final DLC kind of reveal. There could still be something there.

D

Deleted member

yeah this wasn't supposed to be public at all
Kurogane wanted to discuss this with a couple of insiders to see if this connects to whatever was rumored (like the 5ch rumor) or what's floating in their circles
now Nintendo is probably gonna catch wind and start hiding stuff again like the last time (see: Roy and Ryu)

i'm still wondering how the **** this came out so soon?
Really dont get how the DLC is handed either, would expect them more careful due to my feeling that there are different departments managing fighter development and game patches. "Brave" should be revealed soon enough I think, and to credit of Nintendo if we hadn't heard about Erdrick we would be scrambling as to know who "Brave" is.

StormC

Smash Hero
If we're being honest here.....

Sora always seemed more like a Final DLC kind of reveal. There could still be something there.
They don't reveal characters last based on "who would be the most hype," this has never been a thing. Otherwise we wouldn't have started with Ridley and K. Rool and ended with Incineroar and Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
They don't reveal characters last based on "who would be the most hype," this has never been a thing. Otherwise we wouldn't have started with Ridley and K. Rool and ended with Incineroar and Piranha Plant.
You have a point. Just figured since they were so adamant on telling us to "trust them when deciding to purchase the Pass", you'd think they'd want to save something good for the end.

D

Deleted member

Please don't set yourself up for disappointment. I doubt we're getting Sora until at least wave two.
To be fair, what does one have to lose from hoping for unlikely characters? A brief disappointment?

D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai say at some point that he doesn't even consider excitement factor in character choices? I remember reading that in an interview.

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie

View attachment 185471

View attachment 185481
Erdrick's had a recent design tweak yet again for his recent Bring Arts figure:
https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero

His hair is a mix between his SNES redesign and Erdwin from Dragon Quest XI's hair (particularly the color) now.
Maybe the updated design for that figure will reflect his design on SSBU?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai say at some point that he doesn't even consider excitement factor in character choices? I remember reading that in an interview.
I’m pretty sure he said he didn’t consider surprise factor when picking Pirahna Plant and that he was chosen for other reasons.

Top Bottom