• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Isn't that obvious who is?
I mean, obviously we have to wait but, there's nothing to discuss about
Not quite. The descriptions of the stats with the lack of a jab could point at it being soneone else. And "Brave" as a codename can still point to numerous options as I pointed out earlier.

I want it to be Erdrick so much to for several reasons, but I can't just throw caution to the wind on this blindly, no matter how much it may help Erdrick and Phoenix Wright's chances. The evidence still is at hand, giving credence to multiple potential spanners in the works.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The order of events of this leak apparently according to my friends in the mimique server:

November 29th: Kurogane and others see "jack" listed in the games source code. This datamined version of the game was version 0.9. They decide not to spread it further to avoid getting nintendos attention.
Post-VGAs: they find out that jack = joker. by logical assumption.
After the day 1 patch on december 5th (version 1.0), "brave" gets added in as another fighter codename. they all agree to not make this publically known. A Couple weeks ago: somebody dm's vergeben pretending to be kurogane and tells him about this, it's quickly discarded at the time
Today: jam1, a popular modder, goes public with it all, and confirmed by other dataminers.

Also my thoughts on the datamine, assuming brave is erdrick and packun is PP, it's certainly interesting that the other DLC fighters have not yet been in development. Seems like they're developing three at a time, and when one character is fully complete, perhaps one will be developed the next. So in future patches, we'll probably see one character coding come up, assuming Nintendo doesn't change the way coding works (but they probably will change it.)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What I can tell you right now is that it isn't a Bravely Default rep

You don't name the BD rep "Brave" you name it something else related to BD or the character.
Just like with Joker their name was "Jack" in the files as it was a Jack Frost ref.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's so fun watching us just put a shotgun to Geno's already dead and mangled corpse
Sometimes I miss those beautiful days we thought Sora AND Geno would be in
Sometimes I do
Ah geeze, it's not over until it's over, guy. Honestly, like I've been saying, everything has been pointing to this being planned ages ago and that it probably predated all the other DLC if we've been sitting on this info for six months and still nothing to show for it aside from the coding equivalent of a smashed Lego set. I've gone into it before but it's a false dichotomy to say Geno and Erdrick were ever direct competitors, if anything, Erdrick could have honestly been decided as far back as 2016 based on bits and pieces we've been getting since August. "Well ****, I ate dinner last month, guess I can't eat dinner tonight." That sort of thing.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Not quite. The descriptions of the stats with the lack of a jab could point at it being soneone else. And "Brave" as a codename can still point to numerous options as I pointed out earlier.

I want it to be Erdrick so much to for several reasons, but I can't just throw caution to the wind on this blindly, no matter how much it may help Erdrick and Phoenix Wright's chances. The evidence still is at hand, giving credence to multiple potential spanners in the works.
The Stats and the nojab would work with NES Erdrick and G.. yep, it's Erdrick,

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

You don't name the BD rep "Brave" you name it something else related to BD or the character.
Just like with Joker their name was "Jack" in the files as it was a Jack Frost ref.
If Agnes was revealed, that would be a dope reveal. But yeah, I agree.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ah geeze, it's not over until it's over, guy. Honestly, like I've been saying, everything has been pointing to this being planned ages ago and that it probably predated all the other DLC if we've been sitting on this info for six months and still nothing to show for it aside from the coding equivalent of a smashed Lego set. I've gone into it before but it's a false dichotomy to say Geno and Erdrick were ever direct competitors, if anything, Erdrick could have honestly been decided as far back as 2016 based on bits and pieces we've been getting since August. "Well ****, I ate dinner last month, guess I can't eat dinner tonight." That sort of thing.
Wish I could believe you Fatman but I just don't think I can. This is the "over" for me.
If Squenix was so uncooperative that Erdrick was pulled from base I don't think I can believe they'll also throw in Geno as DLC.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
The lack of a rapid jab doesn't mean much
Marth, Roy and Chrom don't have rapid jabs.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Not yet we can't. Not until we know for sure whi the "Brave" character is.
Seriously. :rolleyes:

Look, I commend you for being skeptic, but at this point, the writing is on the wall that it's Dragon Quest. Also, it just makes sense for both on the Nintendo/Square front for this to be their choice of a character decision. The franchise always had a great history with Nintendo, and Square has been wanting for Dragon Quest to be popular over here in the west for years now, what better way to do it than put a character in Smash Bros. It's the same story with Fire Emblem.

D

Deleted member

You know, in regards to Geno, I could totally see him making some kind of return in the future to the Mario series. Not Necessarily in Smash Bros., but in a Mario spinoff in the future I believe it's totally possible.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know, in regards to Geno, I could totally see him making some kind of return in the future to the Mario series. Not Necessarily in Smash Bros., but in a Mario spinoff in the future I believe it's totally possible.
I think if they can't even wrangle him for Smash where he's been requested for over a decade that it honestly isn't.

D

Deleted member

I think if they can't even wrangle him for Smash where he's been requested for over a decade that it honestly isn't.
I think it has to do with the fact that there's so many other potential candidates from SE OTHER than Geno is why that's the case. In a Mario spinoff that wouldn't be an issue.

D

Deleted member

I will say, don’t give up hope. The only way to ensure your character doesn’t get in is to stop asking for them, stop campaigning for them.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I keep telling Geno's fans that's what we've gotta fight for, maaaaaaaaang.

I think Geno in Smash is extremely unlikely at this point and that this is the best course of action like

y'aaaaaaaall

Square's probably still up for producing Mario crossovers

And now that they know Geno and Mallow are characters that are wanted for revivals, I seriously wouldn't be surprised if that happened in a Square-developed crossover

Y'aaaaaaaaall we gotta refocus our efforts.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think it has to do with the fact that there's so many other potential candidates from SE OTHER than Geno is why that's the case. In a Mario spinoff that wouldn't be an issue.
I mean Geno has made no sort of appearance in any Mario spinoff to date (superstar doesnt ****ing count) even as he began becoming more and more requested for Smash. If they haven't seen the fan demand for the past 4 years I have no reason to think he'll return now.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
A Young Link sized sword fighter with no rapid jab and a party mechanic? You sure we're not talking about Crono? :4pacman:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Why you gotta crush my hopes and dreams Prez?

Although I do think a DQ Rep is much more likely, the only other possible alternative I can see that’s still reasonably possible is a Bravely Default Rep.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Aw thanks Jovah
You're welcome ma'am. I hate to see pronoun trouble afflicting someone.
I mean Geno has made no sort of appearance in any Mario spinoff to date (superstar doesnt ****ing count) even as he began becoming more and more requested for Smash. If they haven't seen the fan demand for the past 4 years I have no reason to think he'll return now.
All the more reason to campaign for him getting into other stuff first before Smash, like with Isaac.
Seriously. :rolleyes:

Look, I commend you for being skeptic, but at this point, the writing is on the wall that it's Dragon Quest. Also, it just makes sense for both on the Nintendo/Square front for this to be their choice of a character decision. The franchise always had a great history with Nintendo, and Square has been wanting for Dragon Quest to be popular over here in the west for years now, what better way to do it than put a character in Smash Bros. It's the same story with Fire Emblem.
Again, given how well it makes things, I actually want Erdrick to be the one if it's not Sephiroth. But I've seen too many cases first seemed certain only to get tripped up at the finish line with this series.

There is still room for doubt and we can't be too careful until we see an official confirmation or even more solid proof.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Why you gotta crush my hopes and dreams Prez?

Although I do think a DQ Rep is much more likely, the only other possible alternative I can see that’s still reasonably possible is a Bravely Default Rep.
Because mine have been crushed every single day for months, Psy. Love ya though.

You're welcome ma'am. I hate to see pronoun trouble afflicting someone.
All the more reason to campaign for him getting into other stuff first before Smash, like with Isaac.
Again, given how well it makes things, I actually want Erdrick to be the one if it's got Sephiroth. But I've seen too many cases first seemed certain only to get tripped up at the finish line with this series.

There is still room for doubt and we can't be too careful until we see an official confirmation or even more solid proof.
Definitely, as a trans chick especially it means a lot, thanks again Jov.

You make a very good point though, one I've seen Oval making. I think that I indeed have been focusing far too much on Geno in Smash and less, well...Geno, because I also really want to see Mario RPG resurrected and Geno return with that colorful cast in tow.

Just not sure how to go about it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I personally think there is still a shot for Geno, as I do agree with what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice says on the subject. And I don't imagine the Geno community will die because of Erdrick, quite the opposite actually. At least Square is still putting stuff in the game.

D

Deleted member

Maybe it's time the Geno fans move from requesting him for Smash to requesting him in general.

Operation Starfall anyone?
I agree wholeheartedly, and from what I've seen from a lot of Geno fans they seem to feel the same way with Smash more or less being the ideal outcome for them.
Hopefully this includes Mallow too

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe it's time the Geno fans move from requesting him for Smash to requesting him in general.

I think the Geno community has a bit of a fear of spreading the support thin.

Edit: I support the idea, I am just thinking aloud about what I may have noticed as a whole.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I agree wholeheartedly, and from what I've seen from a lot of Geno fans they seem to feel the same way with Smash more or less being the ideal outcome for them.
Hopefully this includes Mallow too
DAMN STRAIGHT IT INCLUDES MY BEAUTIFUL BOY MALLOW

But yeah, let's do this, guys! I'd love to help spearhead this campaign with y'all! I can lend my art skills, time, and writing to all of this, too, if need be! Gosh darn it, I have a Wacom Bamboo, Square, and I'm not afraid to use it!!

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Oof, sucks this wasn't kept secret. Looks like Erdrick is the likely Square rep. Not my number 1 pick (R.I.P. Geno), but hey I don't mind. Been trying some Dragon Quest and it's quite fun. I'm actually excited to see what he'd look like in action. Assuming it is Erdrick that is.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Because mine have been crushed every single day for months, Psy. Love ya though.

Definitely, as a trans chick especially it means a lot, thanks again Jov.

You make a very good point though, one I've seen Oval making. I think that I indeed have been focusing far too much on Geno in Smash and less, well...Geno, because I also really want to see Mario RPG resurrected and Geno return with that colorful cast in tow.

Just not sure how to go about it.

For sure, getting Geno at least on the status level of being a recurring Mario character would help significantly. Get him in at least one mainstream game, and he's looking as good as Daisy who did indeed get in.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I keep telling Geno's fans that's what we've gotta fight for, maaaaaaaaang.

I think Geno in Smash is extremely unlikely at this point and that this is the best course of action like

y'aaaaaaaall

Square's probably still up for producing Mario crossovers

And now that they know Geno and Mallow are characters that are wanted for revivals, I seriously wouldn't be surprised if that happened in a Square-developed crossover

Y'aaaaaaaaall we gotta refocus our efforts.
Hey that's the spirit! I'm not a big Geno fan, but I do it would be great to see him in an actual Mario RPG spin off game, like put him in a new possible Paper Mario game or even Mario Kart. Putting him in those games first would be a great stepping stone for him. It would put him back in the public eye again. Letting him at least be a somewhat recurring Mario character would definitely help him out in the long run. It would nice to see him back in the Mario world first.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
For sure, getting Geno at least on the status level of being a recurring Mario character would help significantly. Get him in at least one mainstream game, as he's looking as good as Daisy who did indeed get in.
I wonder what the best way of doing that would be though? It would probably need to be something a bit bigger than what the Geno community has been doing. Something positive and creative, I imagine.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, you're right. I discussed it over with somebody who i will not name and it's fine now. However, I will elaborate on this situation.

This has been known since base game, and "Brave" since 1.1. I can verify that @xenother knew about this before even I did. So credit to him. Anyways, this wasn't supposed to be public, but somebody posted about it on Twitter apparently, and then Jam1 decided to be open about it. Why is it so bad? Well, Kurogane himself went out of his way to ask his friends to not be open with it. And lo and behold, somebody went and spread it around in private. We don't know who it is, but this spread with ill intent. It's unfortunate, really. Ugh.
Well... Dang just read this.
What an awful friend. I hope there's no serious consequences for this info getting leaked.

I knew we we're getting way too much info regarding the SE character way too fast. This was bound to happen, and I'm sad it did. Personally I was prepared to wait at least half a year.
I just hope he doesn't lose his job. Or get sued.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's funny to me how we're coming together specifically to hold up the Geno fans
I think it's because out of everyone on the list he has the least amount of a future
Crono's got every single port in existence haha, and besides those two everyone else on that list is basically thriving

Heartwarming imo

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If Jack is for Joker and isn't just a code name for him himself, what if Jack is just Jack Frost as a persona and the other is another Persona over Joker's?

Just an idea. Probably a stupid one.

Do gotta say this does look good for Erdrick though.

D

Deleted member

Listen, if Nintendo can work out a deal with Bamco to get Kos-Mos in Xenoblade? They can work out a deal with Square to get Geno in Mario again.

Top Bottom