• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Pepole are saying Erdrick will be his Chibi Version as his numbers are very similar to Young Link:

"Run Speed = 1.74
That means "Brave" is between Young Link (1.749) and Kirby (1.727)

Weight = 101
That means that "Brave" is between Megaman (102) and Mii Sword Fighter (100)

"Brave" cannot wall jump, which may imply a non-acrobatic body shape

"Brave" does not have a jab combo

"Brave" is classified as a medium sized character (i.e. Kirby, Young Link, Megaman, ect)
Hope it's Chibi Erdrick and not... Gen.. Forget it

D

Deleted member

I like both of Erdrick’s designs, but I’d slightly prefer the SNES version in smash cause I think it would look cooler next to Link and Cloud. Out of smash I prefer NES though.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Is everyone else basically getting this stuff from Twitter right now? I haven't seen so many people scrambling for Smash info like this since Roy and Ryu got leaked!

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
To be honest, I’m kinda more interested in the stats of the characters rather than who the character is.

Also Piranha Plant seems to play very differently than initially expected.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Bravely could be a possibility which would be fun. I'm really thinking it's Hero or Hero Party. That said, if it's Hero Party, maybe that would explain why Slime "appears onscreen with a skill" - didn't Eight raise and train monsters? I've never played DQ so correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, it's true, but I'd love to hear your detective work still Ace Attorney. XD
You want Phoenix as badly as I do, Leon is a Capcom rep so that'd mean he was "picked over" Phoenix, Phoenix is your most-wanted so you'd see any Capcom rep as lesser than him. It's simple logic, your honor.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
To be honest, I’m kinda more interested in the stats of the characters rather than who the character is.

Also Piranha Plant seems to play very differently than initially expected.
Y'know, if PP's stats contradict the stats he supposedly had from that site, not an actual data mine, that could prove the idea that he was a cut base fighter wrong! :D

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
It's on Twitter though. I think the secret's out. Not to mention, other threads have gotten ahold of it. Again, if this stuff is so dangerous, I'll never understand why leakers even play with this fire.
Well, you're right. I discussed it over with somebody who i will not name and it's fine now. However, I will elaborate on this situation.

This has been known since base game, and "Brave" since 1.1. I can verify that xenother xenother knew about this before even I did. So credit to him. Anyways, this wasn't supposed to be public, but somebody posted about it on Twitter apparently, and then Jam1 decided to be open about it. Why is it so bad? Well, Kurogane himself went out of his way to ask his friends to not be open with it. And lo and behold, somebody went and spread it around in private. We don't know who it is, but this spread with ill intent. It's unfortunate, really. Ugh.

D

Deleted member

Bravely could be a possibility which would be fun. I'm really thinking it's Hero or Hero Party. That said, if it's Hero Party, maybe that would explain why Slime "appears onscreen with a skill" - didn't Eight raise and train monsters? I've never played DQ so correct me if I'm wrong.
In DQ8 you can tame special monsters over the map and have monsters perform a special attack during combat. Adding monsters to the party is a recurring ability of some of the protags.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thanks Nintendo for leaving this in and continuing to prove to me why not to trust people when they say "WELL WOULD NINTENDO REALLY SCREW SMASH UP AND SPOIL THE SURPRISE" as if box didn't already **** that over lol

D

Deleted member

Well, you're right. I discussed it over with somebody who i will not name and it's fine now. However, I will elaborate on this situation.

This has been known since base game, and "Brave" since 1.1. I can verify that xenother xenother knew about this before even I did. So credit to him. Anyways, this wasn't supposed to be public, but somebody posted about it on Twitter apparently, and then Jam1 decided to be open about it. Why is it so bad? Well, Kurogane himself went out of his way to ask his friends to not be open with it. And lo and behold, somebody went and spread it around in private. We don't know who it is, but this spread with ill intent. It's unfortunate, really. Ugh.
Shame about that happening.
Honestly though I’m impressed it took this long for it come out, after weeks of knowing about it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
In DQ8 you can tame special monsters over the map and have monsters perform a special attack during combat. Adding monsters to the party is a recurring ability of some of the protags.
Interesting indeed...

I mean, I still hope the leak is wrong just because Mementos has the potential to not be a very exciting stage unless they go completely nuts with it but it does possibly lend some credence to the Joker/Erdrick 5ch post.

D

Deleted member

Sorry about this happening, didn't expected to be delicate info but rather the usual leak based on data dumps.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Thanks Nintendo for leaving this in and continuing to prove to me why not to trust people when they say "WELL WOULD NINTENDO REALLY SCREW SMASH UP AND SPOIL THE SURPRISE" as if box didn't already **** that over lol
Well unlike the box, this was not something you couldn't immediately find without doing some hard digging.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
To be fair, this is more the fault of leakers than Nintendo themselves.
This has been known since base game, and "Brave" since 1.1.
For that long?? That would suggest that DLC was decided on for quite some time.

Something about this codename.

The codename does leave some things to the imagination. Could be DQ, any hero, could be from Bravely Default, could be Sephiroth. Could be anyone hidden under that codename. They'd be the only one who needs a hidden codename as the other two are already known officially.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

So another Krono XIV it is. I lament that it had to happen. Hope it doesn't get worse and that you get to hunt down whoever leaked it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Nintendo never learned, this a repeat of Ryu/Roy all over again, except if Roy was revealed before this came out.

But if this happened, then that means the other three won’t get leaked!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well good that he's sort of heavyish? Since he wears armor, it sounds reasonable.

Not worried about him being chibi. Toriyama chibis = best chibis. Do prefer the modern take, but going super oldschool with the chibi style is ok too. I can respect that.

Run speed seems ok. As long as he's faster than Simon.

My phone is overheating from not giving it a rest.

I don't know about "Brave". But I understand Yuusha. As that's what I called Luminary before he was called that way (or Eleven) but seems like Yuusha la every Hero protagonist. So .. Dang. Hype Levels really high.

Gotta step out for a while.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

I actually feel bad for you guys and I feel like I should apologize (even though, I didn't do anything), I just feel bad. You tried warning us in the best way possible, but then this crap happens. If anything I'm surprised it took this long for it come out, after almost months of knowing about it, but even back then we at least weren't completely sure about the character and was able to freely speculate. We just knew that a Square character was coming. Datamining is just, well it's out there now. No, point into not talking about the inevitible.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be fair, this is more the fault of leakers than Nintendo themselves.

Something about this codename.

The codename does leave some things to the imagination. Could be DQ, any hero, could be from Bravely Default, could be Sephiroth. Could be anyone hidden under that codename. They'd be the only one who needs a hidden codename as the other two are already known officially.
Nintendo left it in the data. I am comfortable blaming both leakers and Nintendo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can confirm that this all has been known for about a month but we were under strict orders not to openly share it. Like I said, this is the equivalent of breaking into someone's house and showing people a personal photo album. Just because it was in game doesn't mean it was supposed to be shared. Basically people had to dig deep in order to get the info so it's not like it was right on the surface either. This was less about Nintendo being careless and people picking a lock that took a decent amount of tech skill to unlock. In other words, basically only professionals would have been able to find it with the assumption that said professionals wouldn't openly share it. You can argue that this was naive of Nintendo but it's pretty telling of the situation that all it took was one person shrugging off an unspoken code of honor to get it out in the open.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's so fun watching us just put a shotgun to Geno's already dead and mangled corpse
Sometimes I miss those beautiful days we thought Sora AND Geno would be in
Sometimes I do

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It’s been decided for some time.

This isn’t speculation, it’s just the fact that it takes time to get the rights to third party characters and make plans on how they will work and release their DLC characters.

Like, I don’t want to shame, but a lot of people assumed that DLC was in the back burner for a while.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Well, Sakurai mentioned that the selection was "finalized" around November so that means that most of the DLC could've been decided long before that.
I'd always imagined such, but if we're getting confirmation that choices, some or all, were judged, finished and made at a certain point, then this adds more evidence to the game at hand of speculation.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I can confirm that this all has been known for about a month but we were under strict orders not to openly share it. Like I said, this is the equivalent of breaking into someone's house and showing people a personal photo album. Just because it was in game doesn't mean it was supposed to be shared. Basically people had to dig deep in order to get the info so it's not like it was right on the surface either. This was less about Nintendo being careless and people picking a lock that took a decent amount of tech skill to unlock. In other words, basically only professionals would have been able to find it with the assumption that said professionals wouldn't openly share it. You can argue that this was naive of Nintendo but it's pretty telling of the situation that all it took was one person shrugging off an unspoken code of honor to get it out in the open.
Talk about honor among thieves

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Don't blame the quality safe, blame the good lock picker.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Well...

Now I know why all the insiders were pretty confident with Erdrick.

It’s unfortunate that this information was leaked in this manner.

But this at least makes me much less skeptical of Erdrick/DQ Rep.

Still not 100% on board, but I’m at least more inclined to believe it’s true than false.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Talk about honor among thieves
Again, this really isn't something to blame Nintendo for. Especially considering the brute force shiel the leakers had to do to steal the info via the datamine. Even Square themselves aren't invulnerable to such leaks.
It’s been decided for some time.

This isn’t speculation, it’s just the fact that it takes time to get the rights to third party characters and make plans on how they will work and release their DLC characters.

Like, I don’t want to shame, but a lot of people assumed that DLC was in the back burner for a while.
Amen to that on the assumptions.

Oh, this is good info. This is very, very, very gooood. So good.

D

Deleted member

Well this is certainly illuminating. It’s unfortunate that someone went behind your backs and spread the info, but I guess we can finally put the Square discussion to rest.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Again, this really isn't something to blame Nintendo for. Especially considering the brute force shiel the leakers had to do to steal the info via the datamine. Even Square themselves aren't invulnerable to such leaks.
Amen to that on the assumptions.

Oh, this is good info. This is very, very, very gooood. So good.
I don't know why you responded with that argument was just making a joke about that one Uncharted subtitle due to the leakers being the "thieves" and having a code of "honor"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, this thread is likely going to be reaching it's conclusion soon. Once our Square character gets in, I imagine this thread will become a lot more quiet, even if there is people out there who believe in the possibility of a secound Square rep. Kinda sad, considering how massive and active this thread has become, but that was kinda the expected ending. Just wish the reveal was not so backhanded.

Edit: I know there is a chance this character is not who we think it is, but the chances are very much in his favor.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well, this thread is likely going to be reaching it's conclusion soon. Once our Square character gets in, I imagine this thread will become a lot more quiet, even if there is people out there who believe in the possibility of a secound Square rep. Kinda sad, considering how massive and active this thread has become, but that was kinda the expected ending. Just wish the reveal was not so backhanded.
As someone who's been here since Day 1 (hell, day 0 really) this is the most bittersweet end I could picture

Top Bottom