• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RandomAce

Smash Champion
On this episode of OptimisticStrifer hates Dragon Quest, he disregards the legacy of a series that's been firmly established and uses apostrophes and semi-colons incorrectly. More news at 11.

Just saying that if Joker can represent the legacy of Shin Megami Tensei, Luminary could represent the legacy of Dragon Quest in the same way.
TBH. He did admit DQ’s legacy now with his last sentence, even though it was stated negatively. Your slowly changing him TP, I can sense it.

Honestly, I don’t think Luminary and Joker are comparable in the same way. The latter is extremely popular and his game isn’t connected with the other titles, and there really wasn’t any clear cut character to choose from (unless you want to go with Yu who isn’t nearly as discussed as Joker), where as the former not so much and Erdrick still was a component in DQ11 and other titles.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
It's not about Erdrick either. It's not about one little thing. Honestly, the lore just doesn't translate to Smash. You need way more than that. Slime isn't just the mascot but a huge representation of the series too because yes, it does matter. A lot. The game is meaningless without monsters. The adventures mean nothing without the antagonists or who they face in general. The spells matter too. The items and equipment are extremely important to the accuracy just as much. You can translate everything but lore to Smash these days. What that means? Remove the lore, see how you can translate the entire series well and represent the franchise. And then you realize Edrick and Slime are on 100% equal grounds in doing that. You can also cannot represent the party members in Smash very well either in gameplay. Either they're spirits or final smashes. The hero, whoever may be chosen, can't even properly have alts of other heroes due to too many different designs. Erdrick somewhat decently represents it, but he can't bring all you ask. Not any better than Slime can. Slime can do everything he can but have equipment, that is actually relevant. People need to stop acting like the lore will matter. It won't. You can't represent lore through the spirits any better regardless of the playable choice. It doesn't work that way. As long as Trophies are gone, things like party members and lore are pretty worthless in trying to represent correctly. And for the record, DQ wasn't about party members in the first place. That didn't matter. It was all 1-on-1. That's a newer thing that isn't what made DQ take the world by storm anyway. What actually made it matter is that it took the style of DnD and translated it into a game with sprites and pictures, but it also capitalized on every important aspect of DQ. Saying the monsters aren't important(which is beyond ridiculous) is completely taking away why people cared about it. Everything mattered. Every. Little. Thing.
I was basically saying that when you play a Dragon Quest game, you are playing as the heroes and their party members. Them and their stories are the focus of the series. Monsters are a part of that, but we don't play as them (unless it's DQ5, or some other game with a similar mechanic), we fight them on our adventure.

Erdrick represents the heroes, you know, the main characters that we actually play as in every main series game.

DQ is best represented by the heroes, and Erdrick is the favorite and most iconic of the bunch. He should be the one to do it.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Tbh I feel like Slime would probably be the least exciting pick of the bunch if only because it’d cheapen Piranha Plant’s status as Smash’s main generic mook character. I’d rather they let Plant have its unique status instead of trying to make lightning strike twice with another generic enemy so soon.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
On this episode of OptimisticStrifer hates Dragon Quest, he disregards the legacy of a series that's been firmly established and uses apostrophes and semi-colons incorrectly. More news at 11.

Just saying that if Joker can represent the legacy of Shin Megami Tensei, Luminary could represent the legacy of Dragon Quest in the same way.
The Joker has built up a well established fanbase though; correct?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was basically saying that when you play a Dragon Quest game, you are playing as the heroes and their party members. Them and their stories are the focus of the series. Monsters are a part of that, but we don't play as them, we fight them.

Erdrick represents the heroes, you know, the main characters that we actually play as in every main series game.

DQ is best represented by the heroes, and Erdrick is the favorite and most iconic of the bunch. He should be the one to do it.
Party Members weren't a thing till the second game. That's not why it took the world by storm. It took the world by storm with the first game alone. Just having the hero was enough to matter. They mattered, but not as much as one hero.

And you entirely ignored the point. It doesn't matter who you play as. It matters to show off every aspect of the game possible. If you don't show off the monsters, who are still to the gameplay as well, why bother even trying to represent Dragon Quest, the most influential RPG of all the time. The one that has everything that made for a proper rpg. Even ignoring levels alone, you had Heroes, Monsters, Lore, Items, Equipment, and Spells. Every tiny thing still matters. You can't leave out a key aspect of the gameplay and say it represents it right. The Hero and Monsters are extremely important to what the gameplay is.

Also, then we must cut Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, and tons of others cause "you can't play as them". You also couldn't play as any Pokemon itself, so they need to be cut too, right? That's the flaw with your reasoning. No, it does not make for a clear cut strong representation of the series just because it's the player character. That just isn't enough. You need more than that to represent such an influential rpg. Pretending the monsters hold no importance is honestly misrepresenting why DQ mattered. Yes, they matter. And always will.

I don't believe I asked you about the spin-offs thing though. I think that was another user. But if no Hero was ever used for a spin-off(stuff like Itakeki Streett), then it makes it pretty clear that being the Hero doesn't mean you properly represent Dragon Quest. It's clearly more than that.

Calane

Smash Ace
Party Members weren't a thing till the second game. That's not why it took the world by storm. It took the world by storm with the first game alone. Just having the hero was enough to matter. They mattered, but not as much as one hero.

And you entirely ignored the point. It doesn't matter who you play as. It matters to show off every aspect of the game possible. If you don't show off the monsters, who are still to the gameplay as well, why bother even trying to represent Dragon Quest, the most influential RPG of all the time. The one that has everything that made for a proper rpg. Even ignoring levels alone, you had Heroes, Monsters, Lore, Items, Equipment, and Spells. Every tiny thing still matters. You can't leave out a key aspect of the gameplay and say it represents it right. The Hero and Monsters are extremely important to what the gameplay is.

Also, then we must cut Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, and tons of others cause "you can't play as them". You also couldn't play as any Pokemon itself, so they need to be cut too, right? That's the flaw with your reasoning. No, it does not make for a clear cut strong representation of the series just because it's the player character. That just isn't enough. You need more than that to represent such an influential rpg. Pretending the monsters hold no importance is honestly misrepresenting why DQ mattered. Yes, they matter. And always will.

I don't believe I asked you about the spin-offs thing though. I think that was another user. But if no Hero was ever used for a spin-off, then it makes it pretty clear that being the Hero doesn't mean you properly represent Dragon Quest. It's clearly more than that.
Dude, Slime and other monsters could be perfectly represented in DQ's stage. I believe I already said something like that before.

I'm saying that Erdrick should be the playable DQ rep. There are plenty of other ways to show off Slime and the series' other monsters besides being playable. Being in DQ's stage would work perfectly, and it's a role that makes much more sense for them when you really think about it.

Also, your point about the Zelda characters is "flawed". I would say that they shouldn't be in before Link, but we already have Link, so they're free to add whatever Zelda characters they want now. Since we can only have one DQ character, it should be Erdrick for the reasons I mentioned, in my opinion.

That's all I'm trying to say. We can agree to disagree if you like.

Also, the heroes were used in spin-offs:

Itadaki-box.jpg

Skip to around 1:10.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Side note it is literally so weird seeing your messages because there's a frequent user on another thread with your exact same icon and he's a nice dude but English is his second language so this is like seeing said user suddenly ascending and mastering English and typing
I can change my profile pic to different Ridley x K.Rool stuff if you want but not in that way

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Just curious. Are there anyone here that's gonna pick up the FF ports that are going to appear on the Switch next year? I've decided to pick up all of them as a surprise for my sis that has gone crazy with JRPGs recently
Getting VII and IX to show support for sure. And for my future self to 100% them again. Two of the top 3 best FFs of all time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dude, Slime and other monsters could be perfectly represented in DQ's stage. I believe I already said something like that before.
You don't see this in the games. You see NPC's. Monsters aren't about appearing randomly in stages. They're summons. AT's I could see make some sense to represent them correctly. But they're awful as Stage Hazards alone. Not actual main series bosses make sense like Dragonlord. Or Dragon showing up if it's a Dungeon-place.

I'm saying that Erdrick should be the playable DQ rep. There are plenty of other ways to show off Slime and the series' other monsters.
That's not plenty of ways. That's one way that doesn't really represent the fact that they strictly face the heroes. AT's are way better than stage hazards, though. Only bosses actually are on the stages.

Also, your point about the Zelda characters is flawed. I would say that they shouldn't be in before Link, but we already have Link, so they're free to add whatever Zelda characters they want now. Since we can only get one DQ character, it should be Erdrick for the reasons I mentioned, in my opinion.
No, it's not flawed. Here's the problem with that. We got the mooks before anyone else in Pokemon. Yes, Pikachu is just as much of a mook as a mascot. You can't say they don't work. I don't see any reason to believe that Erdrick works magically better than Slime at all. They're still equal in representation. You can have the Heroes just as equally show up on the stages too. It makes even more sense since they actually have on-screen sprites and show up outside of battle. They also actually fit super well as Spirits. Which all of them should be bar maybe the playable one(if they don't choose Slime, which has a strong chance of happening. It's 50/50 at this point)

That's all I'm trying to say. We can agree to disagree if you like.
When Erdrick is a literal who across seas to quite a few people, I'd say they're at least 50/50 for sure. The mascot VS the hero.

Also, the heroes were used in spin-offs:

View attachment 184879
...And so was Slime.

And that's why I asked. Though it doesn't change at all what I said that you need to represent as many aspects to properly show what DQ is. Spirits, AT's, the playable character, spells, items, equipment. Lore and Equipment are the least necessary. Everything else is extremely key to the series and why it's important.

Also, you're going to need to explain that one a bit. I get they're in a few crossovers. But has any Hero had their own specific spin-off? As in a game starring themselves? Slime and Chocobo do. Hell, Cloud kind of does since FFVII is one of the few FF games to even have spin-offs. That's what I mean. Their own non-mainline story. Does any Hero have that too?

Skip to around 1:10.
Assume my media player is broken for a moment. What am I seeing? Just give me a quick summary, please. Every time I try to watch a video, they always give a very inaccurate impression of the point. I'd rather have it explained, since you're honestly good at giving that information.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Tbh I feel like Slime would probably be the least exciting pick of the bunch if only because it’d cheapen Piranha Plant’s status as Smash’s main generic mook character. I’d rather they let Plant have its unique status instead of trying to make lightning strike twice with another generic enemy so soon.
Sure, because Piranha Plant’s got so much prestige out of being the sole generic mook.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
And regarding the least wanted SE pick, I'll just rank my most wanted of the 7 from the list for me:

1) Sephiroth
2) Erdrick
3) Sora
4) Crono
5) Geno
6) Luminary
7) Slime

And just a reminder, I love all of them. But the top 2 are way up there for me.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The Joker has built up a well established fanbase though; correct?
Joker (not the Joker, who is Batman's archnemesis) never had an established fanbase, unless you count the 4-5 people on the Joker thread and myself as a "well established fanbase." His fans were scattered to the wind, similar to how Dragon Quest's are. He was often discredited as unlikely and tossed aside in discussion everywhere; I remember being laughed at for simply suggesting him.
TBH. He did admit DQ’s legacy now with his last sentence, even though it was stated negatively. Your slowly changing him TP, I can sense it.

Honestly, I don’t think Luminary and Joker are comparable in the same way. The latter is extremely popular and his game isn’t connected with the other titles, and there really wasn’t any clear cut character to choose from (unless you want to go with Yu who isn’t nearly as discussed as Joker), where as the former not so much and Erdrick still was a component in DQ11 and other titles.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181206006089/en/Joker-Persona-5-Joins-Super-Smash-Bros.
The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tenseifranchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems.
Joker is connected to the entire Shin Megami Tensei and Persona franchises. Similarly, Luminary would be connected to the entire Dragon Quest series.

He'll still likely be an alt for Erdrick though so I don't know why we're discussing this.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sure, because Piranha Plant’s got so much prestige out of being the sole generic mook.
That's not even its niche.

The Pokemon are all generic mooks.. Even Pokemon Trainer is designed to be generic. Every single one of them bar Mewtwo at best are playable species. And mooks in the exact same way. Pokemon did this well before Mario did. No point in acting like it isn't a thing.

Piranha Plant's real niche is being a unique creature that you see every time you play Super Mario Bros., and it shows up all across the series in all kinds of different forms, getting in the way of the hero. It's the wacky crazy joke iconic character. That's its real niche.

Calane

Smash Ace
You don't see this in the games. You see NPC's. Monsters aren't about appearing randomly in stages. They're summons. AT's I could see make some sense to represent them correctly. But they're awful as Stage Hazards alone. Not actual main series bosses make sense like Dragonlord. Or Dragon showing up if it's a Dungeon-place.

That's not plenty of ways. That's one way that doesn't really represent the fact that they strictly face the heroes. AT's are way better than stage hazards, though. Only bosses actually are on the stages.

No, it's not flawed. Here's the problem with that. We got the mooks before anyone else in Pokemon. Yes, Pikachu is just as much of a mook as a mascot. You can't say they don't work. I don't see any reason to believe that Erdrick works magically better than Slime at all. They're still equal in representation. You can have the Heroes just as equally show up on the stages too. It makes even more sense since they actually have on-screen sprites and show up outside of battle. They also actually fit super well as Spirits. Which all of them should be bar maybe the playable one(if they don't choose Slime, which has a strong chance of happening. It's 50/50 at this point)

When Erdrick is a literal who across seas to quite a few people, I'd say they're at least 50/50 for sure. The mascot VS the hero.

...And so was Slime.

And that's why I asked. Though it doesn't change at all what I said that you need to represent as many aspects to properly show what DQ is. Spirits, AT's, the playable character, spells, items, equipment. Lore and Equipment are the least necessary. Everything else is extremely key to the series and why it's important.

Also, you're going to need to explain that one a bit. I get they're in a few crossovers. But has any Hero had their own specific spin-off? As in a game starring themselves? Slime and Chocobo do. Hell, Cloud kind of does since FFVII is one of the few FF games to even have spin-offs. That's what I mean. Their own non-mainline story. Does any Hero have that too?

Assume my media player is broken for a moment. What am I seeing? Just give me a quick summary, please. Every time I try to watch a video, they always give a very inaccurate impression of the point. I'd rather have it explained, since you're honestly good at giving that information.
You're exhausting me, my dude.

1: I wasn't necessarily suggesting that the monsters be stage hazards, but rather background elements you see walking around and whatnot. Sure, some of them could hop out and attack you, but the point is that you face these monsters along your journey, so having them represented within DQ's stage just makes the most sense for their roles in actual DQ games. They're monsters that roam dungeons and overworlds, so seeing them in the stage would actually be pretty cool.

2: There are plenty of ways. The monsters could be spirits, Slime could be DQ's symbol, they can appear in the stage, maybe Slime could appear in Erdrick's moveset in someway (I don't like this idea, but whatever), maybe Slime could be in one of Erdrick's victories or taunts, etc. They don't have to be playable to be represented.

3: Are you seriously telling me that Link is not the best choice to represent the Zelda series with? If we could only get one Zelda character in Smash, would Link not be the one best suited for the role? The heroes of DQ are like what Link is to the Zelda series; the main heroes that we play as in every game. Erdrick represents the heroes the best, so he should be the one to represent DQ in terms of being a playable character, in my opinion. Especially since we can only get one playable rep at this time.

4: As for the rest, you literally claimed that the heroes are never used in spin-offs. I was just showing you that they were.

The heroes don't need their own spin-offs, their games are the main series games.

The video was just showing the hero of DQ1 making an appearance in a spin-off game called "Dragon Quest Rivals". That was all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's not even its niche.

The Pokemon are all generic mooks.. Even Pokemon Trainer is designed to be generic. Every single one of them bar Mewtwo at best are playable species. And mooks in the exact same way. Pokemon did this well before Mario did. No point in acting like it isn't a thing.

Piranha Plant's real niche is being a unique creature that you see every time you play Super Mario Bros., and it shows up all across the series in all kinds of different forms, getting in the way of the hero. It's the wacky crazy joke iconic character. That's its real niche.
Piranha Plant wasn’t playable in any game before Ultimate, which is interesting to note.

The character also inspired me to support the idea of a playable Baby Metroid in Smash.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon I understand you don't like me; but must you be so nitpicky? It really serves nothing to the conversation but to seemingly try to rile me up; and that's already hard enough to prevent as it is. Don't do it for me; do it for the rest of the thread. Please?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon I understand you don't like me; but must you be so nitpicky? It really serves nothing to the conversation but to seemingly try to rile me up; and that's already hard enough to prevent as it is. Don't do it for me; do it for the rest of the thread. Please?
"I know I act vehemently toxic and take a dogmatic approach to judging others and their sense of morality by who they want to see in a video game, but can you think of my feelings?"

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't see how TPC was nitpicky in a particular way to you. TPC is generally a more nitpicky and argumentative figure in the thread (which, for the record, I think is a good thing and inspires a lot of thought!), and it's towards everyone who has an argument to present. I don't see them going out of their way to be particularly and pointedly strict with you. If you post something that can be debated, people will debate. That's the whole point of a forum. I think TPC makes a lot of great posts and gives a lot of food for thought. They're blunt and to the point, but that's not a negative quality unless it's used with ad hominem and lack of tact, which I haven't seen them resort to.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
What did he nitpick about though?
He is replying to stuff you post, which is, quite honestly, quite hard to give it a pass.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't see how TPC was nitpicky in a particular way to you. TPC is generally a more nitpicky and argumentative figure in the thread (which, for the record, I think is a good thing and inspires a lot of thought!), and it's towards everyone who has an argument to present. I don't see them going out of their way to be particularly and pointedly strict with you. If you post something that can be debated, people will debate. That's the whole point of a forum. I think TPC makes a lot of great posts and gives a lot of food for thought. They're blunt and to the point, but that's not a negative quality unless it's used with ad hominem and lack of tact, which I haven't seen them resort to.
The stuff about correcting me on how to correctly address Joker, and criticizing my use of punctuation really doesn't add anything except a reason to add a slight little jab at me. Let's try to stay focused and not get stuck on pedantic things.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
God I love Bowser's personality. It's probably the main reason why Inside Story is in my top 5 favourite games of all time.
A little personal fact.

It's thanks to Bowser's inside story that I became such a fan of DQ.

I was burnt out of jRPGs, when I felt like giving that game a go, in order to complete the M&L Trilogy (at that point).
I loved it SO MUCH. That it single handedly reinvigorated my love for the genre. Permanently I think. I even gave FF3 (nes/DS) one of my least favorites in the series, another chance. And I finished it, becoming one of my favorites.

So yeah. Really cool game. And using Bowser was my favorite part of the whole game. And I usually don't do villains, but now I appreciate them as well.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
The stuff about correcting me on how to correctly address Joker, and criticizing my use of punctuation really doesn't add anything except a reason to add a slight little jab at me. Let's try to stay focused and not get stuck on pedantic things.
You're missing the part where TPC talks about Joker's fanbase, which was the main point he brought up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A little personal fact.

It's thanks to Bowser's inside story that I became such a fan of DQ.

I was burnt out of jRPGs, when I felt like giving that game a go, in order to complete the M&L Trilogy (at that point).
I loved it SO MUCH. That it single handedly reinvigorated my love for the genre. Permanently I think. I even gave FF3 (nes/DS) one of my least favorites in the series, another chance. And I finished it, becoming one of my favorites.

So yeah. Really cool game. And using Bowser was my favorite part of the whole game. And I usually don't do villains, but now I appreciate them as well.
Give me a game where i play as a cool villain, and i will eat the whole thing.
Bowser’s Inside Story was a game that i loved mostly for that alone.

I loved to play Dragon Quest 8 as a kid too.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Well, it's funny to see you complain about a comment detailing something you have mistaken bc of your lack of knowledge of a particular series and fanbase (which is harmless in itself), when you've acted so much worse in this thread. The guy is not harrassing you. He is correcting you and argumenting his point. From what I've read from you in this and other topics, I assume it must be hard for you as a person to accept opposition as something natural and legitimate, but the world isn't full of flowers and pure pc stuff. People have the right to disagree and call you out on what they think might have been a misstep from your part.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Give me a game where i play as a cool villain, and i will eat the whole thing.
Bowser’s Inside Story was a game that i loved mostly for that alone.
I don't know if you intended that pun, but...

That was fine. That was absolutely fine. You are a man of culture and taste.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
But the Pokémon ARE the important aspects, it’s even the series namesake.

This isn’t the case with DQ. This time, the Heroes and party members are the main focus, not the creatures.

Tbh, I see a lot of flaws with your arguements on why Slime is on the same level as Erdrick. You can argue about how the lore doesn’t matter in Smash, but it doesn’t change the fact that series protagonists were always chosen in Smash because the lore and stories told in games shape them up to be the important aspects in the first place, and in the case of Pokémon, the main character was a slateless avatar to insert yourself since the game is mainly about the experiences you have with the Pokémon you meet and it’s centered around them.

You bring up spin offs and how Slime appears constantly in all the games, but that’s simply because Slime is a common enemy that was marketable due to it’s cutesy aesthetic for it be a mascot. And even then the DQ cast does appear in a lot of spin offs as well so that isn’t unqiue solely to Slime.

To be honest, I really doubt Slime was something Sakurai considered for DQ. If anything, it’s the Heroes he would’ve looked at since they are what are central to the games, and Erdrick is the biggest over all the others and would most likely be the one chosen. If anything, I honestly think Sakurai and his team would’ve wanted to work on Erdrick more than Slime.

Joker is connected to the entire Shin Megami Tensei and Persona franchises. Similarly, Luminary would be connected to the entire Dragon Quest series.

He'll still likely be an alt for Erdrick though so I don't know why we're discussing this.
And that’s as far as it goes tbh. Can Luminary even work as an alternate for Erdrick though?

Did the leak mention Luminary as an alternate option, or just a color scheme? Because I honestly see him more as an echo. I feel that it would like making Richter an alternate to Simon and not an echo.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
They enjoyed BIS, of course they have taste!
I can't believe I just jabbed at their pun with my own unintentional pun and you brought it to the forefront and

This is a crazy train I never want to get off of. This is why I love you, Square thread.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But the Pokémon ARE the important aspects, it’s even the series namesake.

This isn’t the case with DQ. This time, the Heroes and party members are the main focus, not the creatures.

Tbh, I see a lot of flaws with your arguements on why Slime is on the same level as Erdrick. You can argue about how the lore doesn’t matter in Smash, but it doesn’t change the fact that series protagonists were always chosen in Smash because the lore and stories told in games shape them up to be the important aspects in the first place, and in the case of Pokémon, the main character was a slateless avatar to insert yourself since the game is mainly about the experiences you have with the Pokémon you meet and it’s centered around them.

You bring up spin offs and how Slime appears constantly in all the games, but that’s simply because Slime is a common enemy that was marketable due to it’s cutesy aesthetic for it be a mascot. And even then the DQ cast does appear in a lot of spin offs as well so that isn’t unqiue solely to Slime.

To be honest, I really doubt Slime was something Sakurai considered for DQ. If anything, it’s the Heroes he would’ve looked at since they are what are central to the games, and Erdrick is the biggest over all the others and would most likely be the one chosen. If anything, I honestly think Sakurai and his team would’ve wanted to work on Erdrick more than Slime.

And that’s as far as it goes tbh. Can Luminary even work as an alternate for Erdrick though?

Did leak mentioned Luminary as an alternate costume, or just a color scheme, because I honestly see him more as an echo, similar to how Richter is an echo to Simon.
You would think if they would work as an Echo they'd work as an alt costume

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
A question to you guys:
Trying to use the info we have and slight speculation, what would be the S-E rep if Erdrick wasn't the S-E rep in the end?

D

Deleted member

All the DQ characters on the list represent the series fine, Erdrich the best imo. Slime’s the mascots, Erdrick’s the most popular and prominent hero, and Luminary is the new face. I don’t think you can really compare Luminary to Corrin, cause DQXI is out worldwide and from what I can tell, the game has been received rather well among DQ fans compared to the more mixed reception Fates got from FE fans. It’s not as blatant a shill pick if you get me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom