• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This post is soooooo long, my dude. I don't feel like reading through any of this nonsense anymore. Have you ever seen DQ11 or the 3DS remakes of DQ7 and DQ8? You can see the monsters roaming the world. They would work great being in the background of DQ's stage.
Later games that didn't influence gaming as a whole. It's the older games that matters. It makes more sense to use that style. Also, no. Because I, like many other people, don't know many DQ games besides the first two at best, and the rare few who also know the original DQ Monsters. Just remember that a lot of these later games are not very known worldwide. Both are viable styles, but the original style for DQ as well as the one Erdrick starred in is proper random encounters. Not the roaming monsters. They aren't nearly as faithful as the more recognize games' styles are.

Honestly, we both know Dragon Quest 1 influenced gaming the most. It makes sense to use that as a strong indicator of how to represent the series. Even if you use DQ3 for Erdrick, the point still stands. They have a far more used style. Also, I don't think it was DQ that even started the roaming monsters thing? I'm not sure which game did. Might've been the original Tales of possibly.

Like Ness represented Earthbound/Mother as the series' first playable character, I think Erdrick should do that for DQ. He's the favorite and most iconic hero in the series, it just makes sense. You don't have to agree, and you clearly don't, but I'm not going to drag this on with you. I have things that I want to do today.
That's not really accurate. He represents the game by using the PSI abilities of his teammates while being the mascot of the series. Mostly cause Ninten wasn't available to use due to not being worldwide, so he was the only option. If the point was first playable character, they would've gone with Ninten. It's not that simple.

Also, I'm writing pretty fast, so please forgive me if my wording is a little messed up. People make mistakes.
It's why I noted it but also said I knew exactly what you meant. It was clear it was a typo. No worries. I'm not harping on it. I was actually saying that it's no problem. I was however correcting over you heavily misreading a lot of my statements.

I think Erdrick is the best DQ rep. You think Slime is the best DQ rep. We're not going to agree on this, so let's just drop it here, please.
Fair enough.

D

Deleted member

Cannot stop laughing because this is literally just the list except "**** Crono"
Crono is just the quiet guy who knows he has no chances with the hot and popular Smash so he never hits on them.
But then Smash sends him a letter telling him to come Smash at their place

D

Deleted member

Improper grammar undermines what could be a serious point. For example, I have two sentences with different grammar:

Same point, but one looks much better and is taken much more seriously. Using proper grammar, even in an informal setting such as this, is important.
I feel like im being called out here.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I feel like im being called out here.
Nah. Your grammar is never egregiously bad. If it's a larger post and the mistake is small I either don't acknowledge it or change it in the quote for my own sake. I've never felt the need to point out your grammar, so don't worry. I guess I'll keep an eye out now though lol.

D

Deleted member

Nah. Your grammar is never egregiously bad. If it's a larger post and the mistake is small I either don't acknowledge it or change it in the quote for my own sake. I've never felt the need to point out your grammar, so don't worry. I guess I'll keep an eye out now though lol.
ACTUALLY
Fixed some grammar. It's disconfirm instead of deconfirm, and periods go inside of quotes if you end sentences with them.
I’ll never forget this mockery. Deconfirmed all the trust I had in you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
What's the general consensus on PP getting a stage? Yes or no?
Listen; I just want PP to bring Rainbow Road back.
Piranha Plant is definitely is not getting a stage. As much as I’d love to see Rainbow Road in HD, it’s not happening now.

Damn you got me lol. Pulling out the receipts and all that.

It's disconfirm instead of deconfirm...hhhhhnnnnnnnggggg
Please my dude. I’m on break from college. The last thing I want this thread to talk about are spalling n’ grummetical errurs... ;)

Calane

Smash Ace
Later games that didn't influence gaming as a whole. It's the older games that matters. It makes more sense to use that style. Also, no. Because I, like many other people, don't know many DQ games besides the first two at best, and the rare few who also know the original DQ Monsters. Just remember that a lot of these later games are not very known worldwide. Both are viable styles, but the original style for DQ as well as the one Erdrick starred in is proper random encounters. Not the roaming monsters. They aren't nearly as faithful as the more recognize games' styles are.

Honestly, we both know Dragon Quest 1 influenced gaming the most. It makes sense to use that as a strong indicator of how to represent the series. Even if you use DQ3 for Erdrick, the point still stands. They have a far more used style. Also, I don't think it was DQ that even started the roaming monsters thing? I'm not sure which game did. Might've been the original Tales of possibly.

That's not really accurate. He represents the game by using the PSI abilities of his teammates while being the mascot of the series. Mostly cause Ninten wasn't available to use due to not being worldwide, so he was the only option. If the point was first playable character, they would've gone with Ninten. It's not that simple.

It's why I noted it but also said I knew exactly what you meant. It was clear it was a typo. No worries. I'm not harping on it. I was actually saying that it's no problem. I was however correcting over you heavily misreading a lot of my statements.

Fair enough.
I said I was done, and I am, but I just want to say my final words on this subject.

Random encounters simulate the idea that there are dangerous monsters roaming the areas that you are exploring. So even if you couldn't see them on screen in the original games, it's still implied that they're there. You can visibly see the monsters in the games nowadays, but it's really not all that different from what the original games were trying to convey. Perilous dungeons crawling with monsters and such. Personally, I think that could be represented in a stage rather well, which is where I feel Slime and the others best belong.

Ness is the main character of Earthbound, but I'm not sure he could really be called its mascot. That would probably be...I don't know, Mr. Saturn or something? My point was basically that the main series Dragon Quest games are about the heroes, they're the main characters, so they should represent their own series. Erdrick is the favorite and most iconic of the bunch, so he naturally fits as the hero to pick.

I don't mean to drag this on, so I'll quit for real now. Agree to disagree and all that.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well I can safely say that nobody’s gonna bed that grammer.

should probably get back on-topic though
Since when has this thread ever been on topic?

*laugh track*

Anyways, here's a question I have for everyone here: Would you be okay with a sequel to Super Mario RPG if it means Geno doesn't get into Smash? I've been thinking about the rumor that Square Enix was concerned with Geno becoming a Smash Bros. character and was wondering what y'all think.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

*laugh track*

Anyways, here's a question I have for everyone here: Would you be okay with a sequel to Super Mario RPG if it means Geno doesn't get into Smash? I've been thinking about the rumor that Square Enix was concerned with Geno becoming a Smash Bros. character and was wondering what ya'll think.
God almighty, I'd trade Geno in Smash for a sequel to SMRPG with Geno in it any day. A revival is pretty much the best thing about Geno getting into Smash for me, so this would be the very thing I'm hoping for in a more direct manner.

D

Deleted member

Frankly I see the Slime vs Erdrick argument a matter what you think its more iconic for the series. For one I would love having the legendary hero Erdrick fighting with or against the legendary hero Link.

D

Deleted member

*laugh track*

Anyways, here's a question I have for everyone here: Would you be okay with a sequel to Super Mario RPG if it means Geno doesn't get into Smash? I've been thinking about the rumor that Square Enix was concerned with Geno becoming a Smash Bros. character and was wondering what ya'll think.
Oh definitely.
Well, as long as it’s good. Don’t want a monkey’s paw situation.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
If FF7 can't play nice with music or Spirits for the base game, why do we expect Sephiroth to be any better. Unless it was intended that Sephiroth as DLC had held off all the FF7 goodies for the sake of getting us to purchase them. That would be just plain scummy.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Well damn, I've missed a lot.

That Hayabusa/Steve/Doomguy leak is almost definitely fake, but that would be a pretty nice DLC roster; it's got a nice mix of retro and modern stuff.

I've seen a few people mention something about a "female fighter leak." Could somebody fill me in on that?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I said I was done, and I am, but I just want to say my final words on this subject.

Random encounters simulate the idea that there are dangerous monsters roaming the areas that you are exploring. So even if you couldn't see them on screen in the original games, it's still implied that they're there. You can visibly see the monsters in the games nowadays, but it's really not all that different from what the original games were trying to convey. Perilous dungeons crawling with monsters and such. Personally, I think that could be represented in a stage rather well, which is where I feel Slime and the others best belong.
Eh, roaming monsters aren't honestly interesting in comparison. They're just a way to make games easier while ignoring why the RNG encounters still worked fine. Also, tons of games still use the regular RNG style. It's what the series actually created. Doesn't matter what it stimulated. The point was that what it actually brought to gaming history was Random Encounters. You didn't answer my other question though. Did DQ even start the roaming monster thing? If not, then it's not what it's known for and really shouldn't be referenced if you want to represent what DQ brought to gaming history.

Keep it to the bosses, really. They make way more sense to show up on stages as is. They're what you would expect to see. They're the meaty guys. The big ones that are recognizable. They're also more used for spin-offs at times. So they overall fit great as stage hazards.

Ness is the main character of Earthbound, but I'm not sure he could really be called its mascot. That would probably be...I don't know, Mr. Saturn or something? My point was basically that the main series Dragon Quest games are about the heroes, they're the main characters, so they should represent their own series. Erdrick is the favorite and most iconic of the bunch, so he naturally fits as the hero to pick.
Nah, he's definitely the Mascot of the series. Mr. Saturn isn't as recognizable by any means. Ness is the big gun of the game itself. It's why the protagonists are similar. He's the game's Link, who is also the mascot of the Zelda series. There's really no examples of non-mascots being the first playable character. At best, they're the mascot of their game itself. Besides that, Ness is strictly from EarthBound, so he's meant to be its mascot too. Not saying this couldn't change, but it's held true so far for every first playable character. It's very likely to hold true now. If Erdrick gets in, he's likely to saying he's from DQ3 specifically. Just like with Joker, who is petty much the mascot of Persona 5.

I don't mean to drag this on, so I'll quit for real now. Agree to disagree and all that.
That's fine. You don't have to reply today only, after all. If you want to drop it, you can also just say so. Thing if, if you respond to my points, you clearly are trying to continue it. And that's fine. The debate is healthy. You aren't doing anything wrong by continuing it.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I've seen a few people mention something about a "female fighter leak." Could somebody fill me in on that?
It's just some random Japanese twitter post saying someone saw an "Akira Toriyama character" and a "female fighting game character" in Smash. We discussed a bit, and by that, I mean that I said that character could be Katalina and then the whole conversation devolved into a discussion on whether mobile games should be in Smash.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
It's just some random Japanese twitter post saying someone saw an "Akira Toriyama character" and a "female fighting game character" in Smash. We discussed a bit, and by that, I mean that I said that character could be Katalina and then the whole conversation devolved into a discussion on whether mobile games should be in Smash.
Alright, thanks.

The Toriyama character would obviously be Goku tho

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Since we’re bringing this back up. If a leak did hint towards a “female fighting game character”, it would probably reference a character that originated from a fighting game (Chun-Li, Morrigan, Mai etc.).

Although Katalina is technically a fighting game character, she’s first and foremost a mobile RPG character.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

*laugh track*

Hate this question LOL

I...hm...yes.
I'd not only get a ton more Geno the character, but the return of Mallow too, as well as potentially Booster, the Axem Rangers, even little Jinx. Also my guy the Captain.
There could be even more party members, and I know it'd look absolutely gorgeous.

Wait, why did I hate this question? Of course I'd want SMRPG 2 over Geno in Smash!

Also, for a grammar lover...it's y'all, not ya'll, TPC!

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
If FF7 can't play nice with music or Spirits for the base game, why do we expect Sephiroth to be any better. Unless it was intended that Sephiroth as DLC had held off all the FF7 goodies for the sake of getting us to purchase them. That would be just plain scummy.
Knowing S-E, I really don't think it's hard to imagine this happening.
I would pay good money for that content though, idc

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Since we’re bringing this back up. If a leak did hint towards a “female fighting game character”, it would probably reference a character that originated from a fighting game (Chun-Li, Morrigan, Mai etc.).

Although Katalina is technically a fighting game character, she’s first and foremost a mobile RPG character.
I know, but it still wouldn't be surprising if she were taken as such, considering there's a good chance that Granblue fighter will become mainstream. Though I could see Chun happening if only because it's still possible to make a character pack with her.

D

Deleted member

grammer is for stupids
How would you know that ther was a ‘female fighting game character’ without knowing who they were anyway? It’s not like there’s a specific look or art style to them, they would just have the style of the series their from. Surely you could recognise at least what game they were form if you recognised they were a fighting game character.

D

Deleted member

I would think that the post was too vague with the Toriyama character as well.
So a SMRPG2 right? I wouldn't mind, wonder if the game would feature a new cast considering Nintendo likes to create new ones for their other Mario RPG series (Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi series).

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hate this question LOL

I...hm...yes.
I'd not only get a ton more Geno the character, but the return of Mallow too, as well as potentially Booster, the Axem Rangers, even little Jinx. Also my guy the Captain.
There could be even more party members, and I know it'd look absolutely gorgeous.

Wait, why did I hate this question? Of course I'd want SMRPG 2 over Geno in Smash!

Also, for a grammar lover...it's y'all, not ya'll, TPC!
>Corrects my grammar

Blocked for defying your god-emperor /s it's a joke you guys hahahaha I know it's not funny but please laugh anyways :(

Alternate caption:

...am I the one with poor grammar?

Jokes aside, I don't understand why people clamor for a sequel to Super Mario RPG more than clamoring for Geno in Smash. I think that's where y'all should start. Get an Operation Rainfall sized campaign to lobby for it and then worry about Geno in Smash.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Jokes aside, I don't understand why people clamor for a sequel to Super Mario RPG more than clamoring for Geno in Smash. I think that's where y'all should start. Get an Operation Rainfall sized campaign to lobby for it and then worry about Geno in Smash.
God, yeah, I agree completely. Whenever Geno for Smash gets brought up, I always try to push for a SMRPG revival before I push for him in Smash. Geno in Smash would definitely make a revival that much more likely, and I see the appeal of championing him for Smash to get there (as I also do, don't get me wrong), but pushing for a revival for SMRPG as a whole is even more important.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
God, yeah, I agree completely. Whenever Geno for Smash gets brought up, I always try to push for a SMRPG revival before I push for him in Smash. Geno in Smash would definitely make a revival that much more likely, and I see the appeal of championing him for Smash to get there (as I also do, don't get me wrong), but pushing for a revival for SMRPG as a whole is even more important.
Operation Starfall

BAM you got yourselves a name right there. You're welcome. Make sure I'm credited in Super Mario RPG 2.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
>Corrects my grammar

Blocked for defying your god-emperor /s it's a joke you guys hahahaha I know it's not funny but please laugh anyways :(

Alternate caption:

...am I the one with poor grammar?

I suppose it's that...
With how hard just getting GENO IN SMASH is...
...imagine getting the entire ****ing cast and setting all licensed.

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
God almighty, I'd trade Geno in Smash for a sequel to SMRPG with Geno in it any day. A revival is pretty much the best thing about Geno getting into Smash for me, so this would be the very thing I'm hoping for in a more direct manner.
I'd personally like a SMRPG sequel in the style of octopath. Wouldn't that be interesting? It could be a fresh new start for Geno and company.

D

Deleted member

Wasn't this kind of a point in one of the previously mentioned japanese leaks? I think its quite a good point not only for Geno, but for many other popular requests like Waluigi. While I don't know how legit this leak is, I feel that at times, some of these requests we see seem to be more like a meme of wanting a character to get in rather than caring the series or the characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Those series aren't also about an influential RPG where it had a pretty set way of doing things. It's not the same thing. The monsters and how they appeared in the game are a huge part of what makes the game work. It's also why we have Random Encounters. So it's a lot more important to be accurate here because it's part of what they gave to gaming history.

That said, RNG encounters within the stage could be interesting. But I honestly think it makes way more sense that monsters don't randomly appear. It's not really how the game works and is honestly inaccurate. Cameos should not be for the sake of it. They should be faithful as much as possible. There's a ton of bosses(and a tiny slew of mini-bosses, or elite mooks if you will) that have on-world sprites that make way more sense than just enemies in general. They already work fine and represent it accurately. That's why AT's and Spirits exist. We can put the rest in there, where they would be more faithful.

...Casltevania monsters appear on stages all the time, though? I can't speak on Bayonetta, but when is that game about random encounters? Cause that was the point. AT's represent the random encounter aspect that's integral to DQ's gameplay better than just any old stage hazard.
The reason I brought this up in the first place was because you mentioned that enemies never appeard randomly in stages, which they do. Your argument just sounds more like what you wish to see vs. what we're likely to see if they ever decided to make enemies randomly appear on a stage.

Your RNG argument doesn't make much sense to me since Final Fantasy, or more specifically FF7, also uses an RNG set-up which is never referenced in Smash. It's like saying that a turn-based menu needs to be incorporated into Cloud's moveset because that's a core part of FF history. It's not necessary to incorporate it at all.

Castlevania isn't about random encounters, and yet those same monsters appear randomly as harmless Cameos who end up doing their own thing in Smash bros.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The reason I brought this up in the first place was because you mentioned that enemies never appeard randomly in stages, which they do. Your argument just sounds more like what you wish to see vs. what we're likely to see if they ever decided to make enemies randomly appear on a stage.
That's not what I said. I said it didn't make sense for Dragon Quest monsters to appear on stages because of what the series is known for. You mistook the point entirely. You can't really expect Castlevania to be an example when monsters appear on all the stages all the time anyway as a normal part of the game. They used some more well known ones, sure, but that's still a theme of the game. As I said before, I know nothing of Bayonetta. So the example doesn't much work if you can't explain it well enough.

Your RNG argument doesn't make much sense to me since Final Fantasy, or more specifically FF7, also uses an RNG set-up which is never referenced in Smash. It's like saying that a turn-based menu needs to be incorporated into Cloud's moveset because that's a core part of FF history. It's not necessary to incorporate it at all.
This... is not like that point at all. Final Fantasy isn't the one who completely made RPG's what they are. Dragon Quest is. That was the point of it. Also, Cloud's Limit is specifically just that, an RPG mechanic he has. You also cannot incorporate turn-based into Smash. Some stuff is realistic. Having it so only the bosses appear while the regular monsters are taunts/spirits/AT's/victory screens is very reasonable and fits the thematic of the DQ series fine as well.

Castlevania isn't about random encounters, and yet those same monsters appear randomly as harmless Cameos who end up doing their own thing in Smash bros.
Why, that might be because those monsters appear all the time in the stages you go through. As normal. Them appearing as cameos is... entirely accurate. It's not an RPG. It's an action adventure game. The stage is pretty much more or less what happens. Besides that, it wasn't just about RNG just because. Either I never said it to you, or you entirely misread the point behind why Bosses make more sense to appear on a DQ stage while being faithful to the original series.

Dragon Quest isn't just an rpg. It's the rpg that influenced many rpg's to come. The random encounters is a thing it created. I think that should be important to a degree. This is why I feel the stage itself should use the bosses instead, who all normally appear within Dungeons onscreen, while saving the monsters for some kind of summon mechanic. Now I could see it work kind of akin to Midgar, but otherwise, they make a ton of sense as AT's and Spirits(and Taunts) while being highly faithful to the game itself. The Castlevania cameos are highly faithful to begin with. They also have some Sonic characters move around Green Hill Zone, which is highly faithful to what actually happens during the game. Even if it has kind of an odd one in Silver, anyway.

-------------

Anyway, rates of who you want in;

1. Slime. Not even a contest. Easily represents tons of Dragon Quest stuff alone. A lot of other stuff is easy to show off in the Stage(which'll have many notable bosses), Spirits(for every Hero, at least), Taunts(especially Erdrick should show up that way. Or at least the Victory Screens. Might as well have the two icons share the screen at times), AT's(mostly for Monsters. Though some enemies could work in Slime's moveset, as noted some time back)
2. Geno. I loved Super Mario RPG. He sounds really fun. I didn't use him nearly as much as Bowser, so he's not nearly as important to me.
4. Sephiroth. Him and Aerith are my two favorites FFVII characters. Easy pick. A major disjoint could make for a wildly interesting character.
4. Crono. I only own Chrono Cross, but I appreciate the character for what he is.
5. Erdrick. I mean, I appreciate Dragon Quest for what it is, but I appreciate it way more for the impact in gaming than just a hero that shows up in a later game. Great guy, but he doesn't interest me that much.
6. Katalina. Only cause I know more about Granblue Fantasy than later Dragon Quest games.
7. Luminary. I can't care about a character I know next to nothing of.

Took me a bit to remember them all, but that's my list. Just because I think Granblue Fantasy would be neat to be more worldwide doesn't mean I can care about the character I know almost nothing about either. You know?

D

Deleted member

That's not what I said. I said it didn't make sense for Dragon Quest monsters to appear on stages because of what the series is known for. You mistook the point entirely. You can't really expect Castlevania to be an example when monsters appear on all the stages all the time anyway as a normal part of the game. They used some more well known ones, sure, but that's still a theme of the game. As I said before, I know nothing of Bayonetta. So the example doesn't much work if you can't explain it well enough.

This... is not like that point at all. Final Fantasy isn't the one who completely made RPG's what they are. Dragon Quest is. That was the point of it. Also, Cloud's Limit is specifically just that, an RPG mechanic he has. You also cannot incorporate turn-based into Smash. Some stuff is realistic. Having it so only the bosses appear while the regular monsters are taunts/spirits/AT's/victory screens is very reasonable and fits the thematic of the DQ series fine as well.

Why, that might be because those monsters appear all the time in the stages you go through. As normal. Them appearing as cameos is... entirely accurate. It's not an RPG. It's an action adventure game. The stage is pretty much more or less what happens. Besides that, it wasn't just about RNG just because. Either I never said it to you, or you entirely misread the point behind why Bosses make more sense to appear on a DQ stage while being faithful to the original series.

Dragon Quest isn't just an rpg. It's the rpg that influenced many rpg's to come. The random encounters is a thing it created. I think that should be important to a degree. This is why I feel the stage itself should use the bosses instead, who all normally appear within Dungeons onscreen, while saving the monsters for some kind of summon mechanic. Now I could see it work kind of akin to Midgar, but otherwise, they make a ton of sense as AT's and Spirits(and Taunts) while being highly faithful to the game itself. The Castlevania cameos are highly faithful to begin with. They also have some Sonic characters move around Green Hill Zone, which is highly faithful to what actually happens during the game. Even if it has kind of an odd one in Silver, anyway.
All the Castlevania monsters who appear in the Dracula's Castle stage are bosses though.
Except Kid Dracula but he doesn't really count.

Top Bottom