• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All the Castlevania monsters who appear in the Dracula's Castle stage are bosses though.
Except Kid Dracula but he doesn't really count.
Who also appears in tons of Dungeons you're in in most cases. That was my point. They fit the game series just fine. They aren't proof of anything.

...I mean, if anything, that's exactly what I think fits DQ best for what the stage does. So... I guess thanks for giving an example of what I believe is most logical?

D

Deleted member

Who also appears in tons of Dungeons you're in in most cases. That was my point. They fit the game series just fine. They aren't proof of anything.

...I mean, if anything, that's exactly what I think fits DQ best for what the stage does. So... I guess thanks for giving an example of what I believe is most logical?
I was just pointing out because you were arguing as if they were normal enemies. Don't really know what you two are arguing over but I guess it's kind of an OCD for me to see something I know isn't right and having to correct it. I'd bet there's a name for that but I wouldn't be aware of it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was just pointing out because you were arguing as if they were normal enemies. Don't really know what you two are arguing over but I guess it's kind of an OCD for me to see something I know isn't right and having to correct it. I'd bet there's a name for that but I wouldn't be aware of it.
Well, my bigger point was that the genre doesn't care much about that anyway. Enemies appear on stages all the time. Bosses or otherwise.

But yeah, thank you for pointing that out. I forgot they were solely bosses.

My point was that Bosses and Enemies in the game that most influenced gaming aren't identical, and I feel they should be treated differently.

D

Deleted member

Well, my bigger point was that the genre doesn't care much about that anyway. Enemies appear on stages all the time. Bosses or otherwise.

But yeah, thank you for pointing that out. I forgot they were solely bosses.

My point was that Bosses and Enemies in the game that most influenced gaming aren't identical, and I feel they should be treated differently.
I think it depends on just what's more memorable. I mean, Slime is a common enemy but it's more well known than any other DQ boss.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it depends on just what's more memorable. I mean, Slime is a common enemy but it's more well known than any other DQ boss.
It itself can't fill out the stage alone. Because it's most memorable, I feel an AT(if it's not playable) fits better. There's tons of other enemies and bosses alone that would work otherwise. The Mascot being a minor cameo seems silly. He's pretty much the most notable character in the series. Giving it a bigger role makes sense.

D

Deleted member

It itself can't fill out the stage alone. Because it's most memorable, I feel an AT(if it's not playable) fits better. There's tons of other enemies and bosses alone that would work otherwise. The Mascot being a minor cameo seems silly. He's pretty much the most notable character in the series. Giving it a bigger role makes sense.
I know that but DLC won't get assists which is why Slime would certainly appear in a DQ stage if it had any cameos. I think mainly of the most recent 3rd Party stages who have all been full of cameos, even Midgar despite the known issues with Square.
Though I think Slime would be more of a Tingle in that he just kind of goofs around in the back and maybe gets blown up by the bosses.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I think Erdrick makes sense for a lot of reasons when talking about a DQ character. They're the quintessential Dragon Quest hero from one of the most popular games in the series. People are probably more familiar with the image of Slime, but DQ is experienced through the heroes.

My personal pick would probably be Abel/Madason from DQ5, or a party member from 8 like Angelo/Yangus. Still, pretty much any character could offer something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know that but DLC won't get assists which is why Slime would certainly appear in a DQ stage if it had any cameos. I think mainly of the most recent 3rd Party stages who have all been full of cameos, even Midgar despite the known issues with Square.
Though I think Slime would be more of a Tingle in that he just kind of goofs around in the back and maybe gets blown up by the bosses.
We don't know that DLC won't get assists, actually. Slime being added separately is still possible. Not as part of that pack, but I don't see it not being in a bigger role. It's too important to reduce to a tiny stage cameo. It's probably going to be part of the taunts/victory screens then if Erdrick is in. It just sounds too small for the mascot. Midgar is kind of a different thing. It just has some known summons from FFVII, and one uses its FFVIII design(Ifrit). None of those summons are major characters or the de facto mascot of the series, so, they're easy cameos.

Though the way they could use Slime sounds realistic enough. It's also the canonical punching bag for Heroes and Monsters. Even though it can be hyper strong too.

D

Deleted member

We don't know that DLC won't get assists, actually. Slime being added separately is still possible. Not as part of that pack, but I don't see it not being in a bigger role. It's too important to reduce to a tiny stage cameo. It's probably going to be part of the taunts/victory screens then if Erdrick is in. It just sounds too small for the mascot. Midgar is kind of a different thing. It just has some known summons from FFVII, and one uses its FFVIII design(Ifrit). None of those summons are major characters or the de facto mascot of the series, so, they're easy cameos.

Though the way they could use Slime sounds realistic enough. It's also the canonical punching bag for Heroes and Monsters. Even though it can be hyper strong too.
They're definitely not releasing new assist trophies.

I don't think a stage cameo would be disrespectful to Slime either. Tails and Death are just stage cameos and the summons are some of the most important bosses in all of FF, especially Bahamut. It's just working with what they have. If Slime isn't playable, a stage cameo is the only way to represent it in some gameplay form(so not including Spirits).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They're definitely not releasing new assist trophies.

I don't think a stage cameo would be disrespectful to Slime either. Tails and Death are just stage cameos and the summons are some of the most important bosses in all of FF, especially Bahamut. It's just working with what they have. If Slime isn't playable, a stage cameo is the only way to represent it in some gameplay form(so not including Spirits).
There's nothing to suggest they aren't releasing new AT's. Sorry, but that's just a silly assumption.

Also, we're definitely getting more Spirits. That's been confirmed. That works too for what it can have. We don't actually know other small things in the pack. We know every character will have a spirit, yet it's not mentioned. That means we can easily get other things.

I still say an AT is not only possible, but is a far better representation here. Not saying it can't happen, but a stage cameo for the biggest Dragon Quest character feels a bit underwhelming.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There's nothing to suggest they aren't releasing new AT's. Sorry, but that's just a silly assumption.

Also, we're definitely getting more Spirits. That's been confirmed. That works too for what it can have. We don't actually know other small things in the pack. We know every character will have a spirit, yet it's not mentioned. That means we can easily get other things.

I still say an AT is not only possible, but is a far better representation here. Not saying it can't happen, but a stage cameo for the biggest Dragon Quest character feels a bit underwhelming.
I don't think it's too silly honestly

Did we get ANY new AT's for Smash 4 during DLC?
No. But we got a Bayo Assist Trophy in Ultimate's base game.

There's pretty good reason to think we won't get AT's.

Spirits, obviously we're getting though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think it's too silly honestly

Did we get ANY new AT's for Smash 4 during DLC?
No. But we got a Bayo Assist Trophy in Ultimate's base game.

There's pretty good reason to think we won't get AT's.

Spirits, obviously we're getting though.
We also have no rules for DLC because we had one time. We also have quite a few cut AT's that probably will come back for DLC anyway(free most likely). The game was rushed. Some things weren't finished yet. We also had Mii costumes cut for no reason other than the possibility the 3rd parties want more on it.

It's a silly assumption because there's too many things done differently than expected. That's still assuming with nothing strong to back it up. Nobody knew of any Mii costumes till later on beyond obvious Rex, who was Fighter's Pass only. Etc. Nobody knows what's happening with the other modes. We might not get any. I could go on. It's a whole new game and there's too many variable. It's pretty silly to assume all DLC will be pretty identical to Smash 4's rules, especially when it's the first game to even attempt DLC proper.

D

Deleted member

I didn't say Spirits wouldn't be happening because they definitely are. They're just not gameplay representation.

Also, ATs can't be in the Fighter Packs because otherwise that means:
A) there's content in all Fighter Packs the clients are not aware of
B) one of the packs has more content than the others despite being advertised as identical

If released outside of them then:
If it's free: Why release it for free when Nintendo gets nothing out of it?
If it costs money: literally who woupd buy it?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We also have no rules for DLC because we had one time. We also have quite a few cut AT's that probably will come back for DLC anyway(free most likely). The game was rushed. Some things weren't finished yet. We also had Mii costumes cut for no reason other than the possibility the 3rd parties want more on it.

It's a silly assumption because there's too many things done differently than expected. That's still assuming with nothing strong to back it up. Nobody knew of any Mii costumes till later on beyond obvious Rex, who was Fighter's Pass only. Etc. Nobody knows what's happening with the other modes. We might not get any. I could go on. It's a whole new game and there's too many variable. It's pretty silly to assume all DLC will be pretty identical to Smash 4's rules, especially when it's the first game to even attempt DLC proper.
LST unrelated but I've seen you mention that the game was rushed; whaddya mean by that?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I didn't say Spirits wouldn't be happening because they definitely are. They're just not gameplay representation.

Also, ATs can't be in the Fighter Packs because otherwise that means:
A) there's content in all Fighter Packs the clients are not aware of
B) one of the packs has more content than the others despite being advertised as identical
I didn't even say it would be part of the Fighter Packs. I said it could happen separately, and it'd make sense.

If released outside of them then:
If it's free: Why release it for free when Nintendo gets nothing out of it?
If it costs money: literally who woupd buy it?
Anybody who wants everything. People buy Mii costumes for the same reason. And other stuff separately. Throw in anything like that, and it will see sales. That said, possibly not as much as Mii costumes.

As for free, sure why not. They are making more than enough money. It's probably the best way to add AT's, so we can easily assume any AT is from a company who is already having paid DLC at least.

LST unrelated but I've seen you mention that the game was rushed; whaddya mean by that?
Just that. Ultimate is heavily rushed. It's really really buggy, full of glitches, has tons of stuff that needed to be removed to make the deadline. Spirits aren't just there because they can add more alone, it's because it was the only way to add tons of content. The game is only barely finished, and as the bugs show, has a lot of issues functioning properly at times. Some of the modes weren't cut just cause. They had no time. It's no coincidence that Robin's FS isn't changed. It's not just the fact it still works, but it's not like they remotely had time to change it up at all.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If random encounters are a part of Dragon Quest’s legacy we’re choosing to represent...

Maybe I don’t want DQ anymore...

My childhood self is still scarred by the thousands of Zubats Pokémon forced me to see... i mean I guess it was realistic in the sense we had a **** ton of bats... but oh GOD NO.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Has there been anything new going around?

Been enjoying the game and going through another play through of Persona 5. Getting pumped for the DLC!

So are we divided on the whole "Playable State" of Joker? Looking through a bit, that is my understanding.

Anyhoo, Seems like Erdrick is certain to a lot of people in the know.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Been enjoying the game and going through another play through of Persona 5. Getting pumped for the DLC!

So are we divided on the whole "Playable State" of Joker? Looking through a bit, that is my understanding.

"A lot" and "certain" is a big statement.

Xenother seems pretty sure on it.
PolarPanda has a lot of reason to think it's Erdrick but seems to believe it's still anyone's game
Verge may be leaning towards Erdrick but has yet to outright say so
Hitagi doesn't **** with Smash much lately so not sure what to tell you there

Outside of there, I've rarely seen any actual insiders state they think it's Erdrick. There's your "big 4" for Smash spec and their opinions; I can't recall anyone else.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
That's not what I said. I said it didn't make sense for Dragon Quest monsters to appear on stages because of what the series is known for. You mistook the point entirely. You can't really expect Castlevania to be an example when monsters appear on all the stages all the time anyway as a normal part of the game. They used some more well known ones, sure, but that's still a theme of the game. As I said before, I know nothing of Bayonetta. So the example doesn't much work if you can't explain it well enough.
DQ is known for random enemy encounters, but it doesn't make sense to use the Castlevania stage as an example despite the fact that the enemy encounters on that stage are random? It doesn't make sense for DQ monsters to randomly appear on a DQ stage despite the fact that it's what DQ enemies are known for?

I honestly don't know why I have to explain the Bayonetta stage since you can look it up, but if I must:
Mid-battle, the stage enters Purgatorio and angles fly about as cameos. One of the bosses pops up then flies away. While it isn't random, it is still a prime example of enemies making harmless cameo appearances.

This... is not like that point at all. Final Fantasy isn't the one who completely made RPG's what they are. Dragon Quest is. That was the point of it. Also, Cloud's Limit is specifically just that, an RPG mechanic he has. You also cannot incorporate turn-based into Smash. Some stuff is realistic. Having it so only the bosses appear while the regular monsters are taunts/spirits/AT's/victory screens is very reasonable and fits the thematic of the DQ series fine as well.
You're basing the argument around what the series is known for and how it should be represented because of what it's known for. Whether it's FF or DQ, if the core of your argument is "They would or should do things this way because that's what the series s known for/ That's the standard this RPG series set", then it's exactly like that point.

Why, that might be because those monsters appear all the time in the stages you go through. As normal. Them appearing as cameos is... entirely accurate. It's not an RPG. It's an action adventure game. The stage is pretty much more or less what happens. Besides that, it wasn't just about RNG just because. Either I never said it to you, or you entirely misread the point behind why Bosses make more sense to appear on a DQ stage while being faithful to the original series.
What was the point here? When you say stages, did you mean that Smash stage or the levels from their game? I hope you meant the levels from their games since that would justify the statement, kinda. Not really. Not after bringing up RPGs or action games. Not after saying that it would make sense not to fight the cameo monsters in Smash despite the fact that you fight those monsters in Castlevania. Not after saying that it wouldn't make sense to have DQ enemies become harmless cameos on a DQ stage. And definitely not after understanding that Castlevania monsters are always on screen and yet these monsters just randomly appear as cameos.

Dragon Quest isn't just an rpg. It's the rpg that influenced many rpg's to come. The random encounters is a thing it created. I think that should be important to a degree. This is why I feel the stage itself should use the bosses instead, who all normally appear within Dungeons onscreen, while saving the monsters for some kind of summon mechanic. Now I could see it work kind of akin to Midgar, but otherwise, they make a ton of sense as AT's and Spirits(and Taunts) while being highly faithful to the game itself. The Castlevania cameos are highly faithful to begin with. They also have some Sonic characters move around Green Hill Zone, which is highly faithful to what actually happens during the game. Even if it has kind of an odd one in Silver, anyway.
Again, it's what you want to see vs. what would more likely happen... If it happens. Assuming we get a DQ rep at all. Heck for all we know, we might just end up with an un-eventful castle town or something of that nature. I don't know and I don't care, all I DO know is that Smash bros. has clear-cut examples of 3rd party stages having enemies harmlessly appearing in the background and that the same could easily happen to a Dragon Quest stage, and that would still count as properly representing the series.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Vergeben is apparently leaning towards Erdrick like everyone else.
P5R was teased and everyone is afraid because it wasn't an explicit Switch announcement (and forced a guy out of Twitter because of that).
And we got a nice sneak-peek on what rumours the Japanese fans talk about.

^this post has now been enhanced with its own soundtrack^
I've nothing to add, i'm just trying to plug CT music whenever i can.
If random encounters are a part of Dragon Quest’s legacy we’re choosing to represent...

Maybe I don’t want DQ anymore...

My childhood self is still scarred by the thousands of Zubats Pokémon forced me to see... i mean I guess it was realistic in the sense we had a **** ton of bats... but oh GOD NO.
Zubat related PTSD is very common with Gen I players... it creates a high level of anxiety and anger towards random encounters in unrelated video games...

... Don't worry now, you're going to be all right, the Zubats are gone now.
:041: Well except for this one :p

AugustusB

Smash Champion
"A lot" and "certain" is a big statement.

Xenother seems pretty sure on it.
PolarPanda has a lot of reason to think it's Erdrick but seems to believe it's still anyone's game
Verge may be leaning towards Erdrick but has yet to outright say so
Hitagi doesn't **** with Smash much lately so not sure what to tell you there

Outside of there, I've rarely seen any actual insiders state they think it's Erdrick. There's your "big 4" for Smash spec and their opinions; I can't recall anyone else.
Hmmmm Interesting. What a wild ride this Square Rep has been. Going from 'Who knows' to 'There were 7 being heard of!?' 'Yo I could see Crono' 'Its between Sephiroth and Geno' 'Wait, that was a troll!' 'Oh its Erdrick!? Cool?' 'Wait Joker is not player ready?' 'That leak is dead!?'

Seriously, what a weird ride gang.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hmmmm Interesting. What a wild ride this Square Rep has been. Going from 'Who knows' to 'There were 7 being heard of!?' 'Yo I could see Crono' 'Its between Sephiroth and Geno' 'Wait, that was a troll!' 'Oh its Erdrick!? Cool?' 'Wait Joker is not player ready?' 'That leak is dead!?'

Seriously, what a weird ride gang.
It's mentally exhausting is what it is haha.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
It's mentally exhausting is what it is haha.
Yeeeeah I get ya Madam Prez.

Kind of why I am not on here as much. It has been refreshing, but I do miss a good handful of y'all.

I am still wagering that no one knows 100% who the Square Rep is. Could have a strong inkling as to who they are through rumors and murmurs, but it would just seem odd to me that we would know who they are in this stage of the game.

Just like Nekoo Nekoo I would welcome any Square Rep with open arms.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
DQ is known for random enemy encounters, but it doesn't make sense to use the Castlevania stage as an example despite the fact that the enemy encounters on that stage are random? It doesn't make sense for DQ monsters to randomly appear on a DQ stage despite the fact that it's what DQ enemies are known for?
...Because that's not what they're known for. No, bosses are known for being visible in the castles. Honestly, I don't think you're reading what I actually mean here whatsoever.

I honestly don't know why I have to explain the Bayonetta stage since you can look it up, but if I must:
Mid-battle, the stage enters Purgatorio and angles fly about as cameos. One of the bosses pops up then flies away. While it isn't random, it is still a prime example of enemies making harmless cameo appearances.
No, that's not what I mean. Are they known for showing up on the battlefield in Bayonetta as well? Because that's what I was confused by. I don't get the example because you didn't explain how it applies similarly in representing how the demons show up in Bayonetta itself.

You're basing the argument around what the series is known for and how it should be represented because of what it's known for. Whether it's FF or DQ, if the core of your argument is "They would or should do things this way because that's what the series s known for/ That's the standard this RPG series set", then it's exactly like that point.
I didn't realize that a FF game, which did not set up things to come, is the same as DQ, which did. No, doesn't work that way. You can't use examples and say they apply when they blatantly don't. FF isn't being represented that way nor has random enemies show up just for the sake of it. That's not what Midgar is. What happens is monster that are Summons only get Summoned. Just like the actual series. It's only an example if you're talking about being hard faithful.

What was the point here? When you say stages, did you mean that Smash stage or the levels from their game? I hope you meant the levels from their games since that would justify the statement, kinda. Not really. Not after bringing up RPGs or action games. Not after saying that it would make sense not to fight the cameo monsters in Smash despite the fact that you fight those monsters in Castlevania. Not after saying that it wouldn't make sense to have DQ enemies become harmless cameos on a DQ stage. And definitely not after understanding that Castlevania monsters are always on screen and yet these monsters just randomly appear as cameos.
Yeah, at this point you aren't even trying to understand the argument in any way.

Those dungeons in Dragon Quest specifically only have the Bosses visible. I feel, due to the fact that Bosses are always visible, they should be the stage hazards because they actually work that way. While saving Monsters for stuff like Spirits and AT's. The reason why is this is something very specific that the Dragon Quest series created as a design. Also, the reason your FF doesn't work is that they aren't even representing any random FF stage or game. They're explicitly representing FFVII and only one stage, Midgar, that only has monsters appear in a very specific fashion. That's exactly how I think it should be, an accurate depiction of the first few Dragon Quest games for the stage. There's not actually a lot of easy Monster choices. But if you only use the bosses, you have a very strong selection of excellent stage hazards that you would see in these kind of castles visually in your typical DQ game. The later games just aren't as well known, so it makes sense for the stage to be based upon the older more iconic games that have had a huge gaming impact.

And to note the fact about Midgar; it's a FFVII stage. It only does things that makes sense to FFVII's situation. It only has monsters appear that are supposed to appear like that. It does nothing random and is extremely faithful to how Summons work. You need crystals to do so. That's what it's based upon. They are not cameos for the sake of it. It's an actual proper representation of how those Monsters work. Just throwing in any old monster into a DQ stage doesn't take any thought. You either use the most iconic, or the bosses. Both are valid, but the bosses do visually represent what the original DQ games were more accurately. I feel that's the best way to go about it. I wouldn't care as much if this isn't the thing they set up in gaming history to come. This formula has appeared countless times. Pokemon has done it too, and still does. The "bosses" are usually just trainers. It however does other things, like having Pokemon everywhere visibly like in the anime. With Pokemon based upon the anime, not the games alone, it has a different design to it and doesn't do something similar for a reason. It has a different reason for how it works. What I suggest how a DQ stage should work, I'm using a very specific reasoning. And it's a reasoning that has quite a bit of logic to it. Make it feel as just like the most iconic game(DQ1) was, with only bosses visible on the stages. It's fine if you don't agree with it, but can we stop acting like it doesn't make sense here.

Again, it's what you want to see vs. what would more likely happen... If it happens. Assuming we get a DQ rep at all. Heck for all we know, we might just end up with an un-eventful castle town or something of that nature. I don't know and I don't care, all I DO know is that Smash bros. has clear-cut examples of 3rd party stages having enemies harmlessly appearing in the background and that the same could easily happen to a Dragon Quest stage, and that would still count as properly representing the series.
I never once suggested it was the most likely to happen. Which is why that's not even remotely related to my argument. You can keep comparing them to other 3rd party stages, but that's an extreme generalization that ignores the actual argument being made and frankly doesn't explain why they chose them that way. Thus? I don't see the argument as valid because it doesn't do anything to invalidate why Bosses from DQ, who are important to the series respectively, don't make good stage hazards. You haven't given an actual reasoning why it wouldn't work at all. "It doesn't because other 3rd party stages don't do it" isn't real reasoning. Following patterns for the sake of it isn't a great idea. Besides that, all those stages work differently. Some strictly use bosses. Some strictly don't use either enemies or bosses. Some don't use either. They don't share the same narrative for the 3rd party stages. The cameos they have all vary because tons of thought was put into it.

And I put tons of thoughts into why I believe bosses are a good way to represent a Dragon Quest stage for hazards. Agree to disagree, but you're still trying to dismiss the entire thing while using really poor examples of why things aren't as simple as you make it.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
As a DQ fan I do get why Erdrick, Slime and Luminary are the rumored ones, but with my personal bias and seeing how Smash just picks protags from the more popular games of a franchise, i'll still be sad Eight didn't get in.
DQ8.gif

Pictured above, Eight watching leak discussion.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
As a DQ fan I do get why Erdrick, Slime and Luminary are the rumored ones, but with my personal bias and seeing how Smash just picks protags from the more popular games of a franchise, i'll still be sad Eight didn't get in.
View attachment 184922
This is how I felt catching up lol.

This is accurate. Now we just need the other Square Reps in by Eight.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 184922
Eh, it's more like it picks a game with the most popular mascot instead. It doesn't just pick protagonists in general. Every single one that is the first representative of the series is a mascot of the series or its own game. This is why they should never pick protagonists for the sake of it. They need to be important characters to represent their series well. The mascot has always made sure of that.

Erdrick is the mascot of DQ3, and Eight is the mascot if DQ8. They both apply. Though yeah, I guess there was no faith in DQVIII? I honestly still wonder if Luminary is only there cause 'lollatestgame". Which definitely doesn't make him an obvious contender at all. They want the icons first. That's important for 3rd parties. Which are also always the mascots.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Eh, it's more like it picks a game with the most popular mascot instead. It doesn't just pick protagonists in general. Every single one that is the first representative of the series is a mascot of the series or its own game. This is why they should never pick protagonists for the sake of it. They need to be important characters to represent their series well. The mascot has always made sure of that.

Erdrick is the mascot of DQ3, and Eight is the mascot if DQ8. They both apply. Though yeah, I guess there was no faith in DQVIII? I honestly still wonder if Luminary is only there cause 'lollatestgame". Which definitely doesn't make him an obvious contender at all. They want the icons first. That's important for 3rd parties. Which are also always the mascots.
Joker is...not really the mascot.
That'd be Yu, I'd say. Joker is definitely emerging as his successor though.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Joker is...not really the mascot.
That'd be Yu, I'd say. Joker is definitely emerging as his successor though.
I feel like Joker is more of a mascot than Yu is. While Persona 5 has less sales it has only been out for 2 years and it has almost outsold Persona 4 (original) and P4G altogether. Persona 4 has been out for 10 years and persona 5 pretty much took the throne in 2 years.

I only say this because of growth though, Persona 5 is a little more modern and more casual gamers are into Persona 5 because the previous titles were more niche. Persona 4 barely broke that barrier for the persona games.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Of P5 or Persona in general? Cause there's a difference in that.
Persona. P5, yea, indisputably the mascot but not the series.

I feel like Joker is more of a mascot than Yu is. While Persona 5 has less sales it has only been out for 2 years and it has almost outsold Persona 4 (original) and P4G altogether. Persona 4 has been out for 10 years and persona 5 pretty much took the throne in 2 years.

I only say this because of growth though, Persona 5 is a little more modern and more casual gamers are into Persona 5 because the previous titles were more niche. Persona 4 barely broke that barrier for the persona games.
Well there ya go
It's been out for 2 years
Joker hasn't had too much time to ascend to mascot
P4 became a series of its own
Joker is going to surpass Yu but not quite yet

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Persona. P5, yea, indisputably the mascot but not the series.
You might've missed some of my message then. I said the first character has always been the mascot of the series or of their own game.

So far, the pattern holds true. I won't pretend it's an ironclad thing, but it has been accurate so it should be kept in mind.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I think the only time a series' first Smash character was a mascot instead of the main protagonist, when those two entities were distinct, was Pokémon. It took 2 whole Smash games for us to finally get a Pokémon Trainer (and, by proxy, Charizard, the most popular Pokémon outside of Japan). Even then it arguably makes sense because the point of the Pokémon games is, well, raising the Pokémon. Just like in Smash, you never directly control the Pokémon Trainer in battle, just whatever Pokémon they own.

The Smash team also doesn't seem to care too consistently about including the first protagonist of a series before anyone else. In Smash 64 we got Ness instead of Ninten (to this day they're the only EarthBound protagonist missing), in Smash 4 we got Cloud instead of Warrior of Light or a series mascot like Chocobo, Moogle, or Black Mage, and in Smash Ultimate we got Joker instead of the Persona 1 guy, the SMT 1 guy, Akemi Nakajima from Digital Devil Story / Megami Tensei 1, or Jack Frost.

This is why I'm very skeptical that Slime would get in over a Dragon Quest protagonist. They'd either come together (Slime is part of a protagonist's moveset, stage, taunts, victory animations, or any combination of those things) or not at all. You almost never directly control any of the Dragon Quest monsters in battle aside from DQ5 and the DQ Monsters spin-off series.

Just my two cents.

Calane

Smash Ace
I sort of feel like people are misusing the term "mascot". There's a difference between "protagonists" and "mascots", right?

For example, wouldn't Morgana be considered the "mascot" of Persona 5, while Joker is the "protagonist"? Just being the main character doesn't mean you're also the mascot. At least, I don't think it does. (I don't know much about Persona 5, or Persona in general, so forgive me if I'm mistaken here).

It's protagonists that are usually chosen first to represent their series in Smash, unless we're talking Pikachu who is a pretty unique case. Mario and Sonic are the mascots of Nintendo & Sega respectively, so I guess they count? The point is that it's usually protagonists that get picked first over everyone else, which Mario and Sonic also happen to be despite also being mascots for their companies.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure being the protagonist doesn't automatically make you the mascot or vice versa. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
God I love Bowser's personality. It's probably the main reason why Inside Story is in my top 5 favourite games of all time.
Favorite game in the entire M&L franchise and a game I hope they take some cues from in terms of characters for the upcoming Mario movie that Illumination does

A question to you guys:
Trying to use the info we have and slight speculation, what would be the S-E rep if Erdrick wasn't the S-E rep in the end?
Stated before that I find Sephiroth most likely and I stand by it. I think it's too many cooks in the kitchen and one snobby one (Akira Toriyama said to be a "my creation takes front and center.. and with several things proving towards it and nothing that really disprove that rumor I'm firm to believe that) at that for Dragon Quest to happen so easily as some claims. Sephiroth biggest hurdles unless I've missed anything is a sick composer which shouldn't be that hard to work with. I would have said, Geno if it wasn't for that Spirit he had which makes me a sceptic of his chances no matter who the Square characters....

I'm not saying that Dragon Quest is impossible, nor do I say that I disbelieve the leakers.. But something feels off about the whole Dragon Quest rumor in general

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the only time a series' first Smash character was a mascot instead of the main protagonist, when those two entities were distinct, was Pokémon. It took 2 whole Smash games for us to finally get a Pokémon Trainer (and, by proxy, Charizard, the most popular Pokémon outside of Japan). Even then it arguably makes sense because the point of the Pokémon games is, well, raising the Pokémon. Just like in Smash, you never directly control the Pokémon Trainer in battle, just whatever Pokémon they own.

The Smash team also doesn't seem to care too consistently about including the first protagonist of a series before anyone else. In Smash 64 we got Ness instead of Ninten (to this day they're the only EarthBound protagonist missing), in Smash 4 we got Cloud instead of Warrior of Light or a series mascot like Chocobo, Moogle, or Black Mage, and in Smash Ultimate we got Joker instead of the Persona 1 guy, the SMT 1 guy, Akemi Nakajima from Digital Devil Story / Megami Tensei 1, or Jack Frost.

This is why I'm very skeptical that Slime would get in over a Dragon Quest protagonist. They'd either come together (Slime is part of a protagonist's moveset, stage, taunts, victory animations, or any combination of those things) or not at all. You almost never directly control any of the Dragon Quest monsters in battle aside from DQ5 and the DQ Monsters spin-off series.

Just my two cents.
In every case, the protagonist of that game is also the mascot of the series or game in question.

Joker pretty much is treated as Persona 5's Mascot. The jury is out on that one, admittedly. It isn't with the other games, though. Ness is pretty much the mascot of EarthBound(A.K.A. Mother 2). He's the main guy you know of.

There was no special instances there. The main playable character happened to also be the mascot. Joker is the only one remotely questionable, and the fact it's very mixed already shows that people cannot even figure out that one.

Mascot isn't being used loosely either, of course. The problem is you're thinking it's only Mascot of the series in general. That is definitely not the case. They chose Cloud but also pretty much treat him as the Mascot of FFVII(which is accurate), and many would argue he's the actual mascot of the series as a whole at this point. That's how big and recognizable he is.

Just remember;

Mascot of the Series is not necessarily the Mascot of the a specific Game. They are different things. The only thing that has been in common is for the most part, every first franchise entrant can be considered a Mascot of the Series, or the Mascot of the Game they're representing. This does not apply to later characters by any means, but they can sometimes be(See: Isabelle, Pichu. Actually, thinking about it, they might be the only two proper examples as is. Isabelle is the new AC mascot, as Pichu is the mascot of Gen II. Otherwise, uh... there might not be another example. The rest are always secondary characters or lesser characters).

Top Bottom