• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

rhan

Smash Hero
Well..... I just called my mom. She's off somewhere with my stepdad and I asked her when she'll be back and she just kept saying a "little while". Dumb blonde.

I'm about to see if my grandma will possibly either give me gas money for my car or let me borrow her car. Of course if I take a car out, I'll have to be back probably before 9.

D0N

Smash Ace
So I decided im not bringing my wii. Kinda forgot I can't bring a tv lol.

KADAJ: You can use it until I get back. DO NOT HACK IT!!!!!!!!! Ill give it to a friend who lives in Newport News and you can call/get it from him. Ill pm you about it.

EDIT: Buy some batteris, mine died. Just a heads up

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Don't trust Craig he'll Hack it up so he can play some TvC.
No he actually won't hack your wii.
H4x when will you try to go to kadaj's House if so hit me up on teh cell 240-3422 so I can go over there and whoop your *** in some brawl ;D. Nah lets just get some practice for you so when you go to herb you **** any Pit player there!

Ether

Smash Ace
Big thanks to everyone who came tonight! 'Twas really fun, everyone was chill, and I got to see and take part in some pretty sweet matches. Everyone seemed hyped about the fest, so I plan on throwing more in the future, maybe biweeklies.

The guys in S.T.A.R.S. are really tough. I like it.

KP and S-Man, you two are ridiculously good, as I thought. haha, but I didn't anticipate the hundreds of lasers from S-Man!!! S-Man, you're one of my favorite smashers ever. I can now see why toasty said he could never take a match with you seriously. Just too funny.

Sorry for the people who got lost... I heard Mapquest and Google Maps gave out wrong directions thanks to the construction on Diamond Springs, but fortunately everyone got to get some games in.

IV - our set was interrupted, but next time, for sure. And we make a great team!!! You did just what I needed--kept one guy away so I could 1v1 the other. But lol @ our grab combos.

Speaking of teams... The Douggggggggg is still too good.

Family Feast...lol. :lick:

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
So time for another one of my epic posts.

Basically, we went to ethers and I got to play two sets against ether and one 1 set and 1 match against doug.

First set against doug, I didn't get much off my throws and didn't really know what to do with peach...it felt like i was getting fair strings but i could never finish and get a kill. The next match i just played stupid with fox since my tech skill with fox was off; but then the third match I thought I was playing well except that again I didn't get any finishing kills. As I remember I comboed doug for 60-80% twice, yet I still lost. Getting him high on damage if he DIs the fairs just seems to make it even harder to land a kill move.

So yeah I need to know how to kill peach. Better edgegaurding maybe? I can't honestly tell myself that the issue was just comboing unless there are new combos i need to learn. basically he would just DI combos up and away until I was forced to upair him, and then he would come down with various mixups to make it hard to land a fsmash as he landed. I got it once, but it's not easy.

against ether first match he was winning, but then he gimped himself once, then I gimped him 3 times off fthrows. I think all my kills were below 50% or something ridiculous. Meanwhile he took 2 of my stock anyways; so I knew inside that I would lose if he went marth again. IT was pretty funny to be sitting there happy when he went sheik instead;p that's the first time I"ve ever thought that since i became a marth main.

Beat his sheik mostly because he jabbed too much; also had some pretty neat combos.

Then i played doug's sheik. I lost this but didn't feel too bad about it. Main differences I saw between his sheik and ether's was that he didn't jab me on the ground; he also got some ridiculous combos. I believe he ran off aplatform and falling upair into jab into ftilt into dash attack into fair on me..which made it kind of hard to come back.

the clencher was on the 3rd stock when he CC my aerial on and gimped me at low percent.

Finally i played ether's marth again in a set, and he won with ease..I say ease even though I got it down to one stock, because I could always tell when he was in control of the stage and space, which was about 60-70% of the time if not more. That was a good match though. Same things that killed him the first match didn't work because he DId better. I did get one ridiculous kill combo using a platform for the fsmash, but it still didn't compare to his run off fair into reverse up B gimp. Just didn't see the run off fair happening at that moment. Mainly because i was kind of high and because in those situations i usually wd back and space a fsmash in case the marth tries to fair back. IF the marth fairs what i do would work, but if the marth doesn't fair then what ether did works so much better. If i had faired we would have traded, but since i didn't it was just gg

then I tried to go fox vs ether, that was just GG...so much spacing. I think i needed to camp. I forgot. I have a bad habit of forgetting to camp when i play better players. When you play weaker players you can get away without camping and then you sometimes forget how the matchup really goes.

but yeah, my two desires for the night are to learn how to finish peach and how ether was shieldgrabbing a lot of dash attacks. I don't think I woudl do a dash attack from a position in which he could react, therefore I have decided he probably did one of two things.

either 1. he dashdances into shield sometimes and then goes from there just to bait hte shield grab.

or 2. He uses more wd in between his dashing and then stands there waiting at a longer spacing to react to what I do. The thing is it is still surprising since usually marths time dash attacks when the opponent is dashing backwards, so wd out would not have you facing the right direction to shield grab.

It really makes me wish I had those matches recorded.

Ether

Smash Ace
Man, I wish I could remember about the shieldgrabbing. =\

As for Peach, stay under her.

If you dtilt a recovering Peach that has used their second jump, the Peach must up+b immediately, and you can edgehog easily. If the Peach delays up+b'ing, she will sink below the stage by the time she drifts over. So that's a good finisher.

If a Peach turnip spams, you can try to be flashy and catch the turnip in the air with Z, and then immediately hit Z again to drop it, then waveland toward Peach. I'm pretty sure I invented this one. but *sigh* I probably didn't.

rhan

Smash Hero
I wish I didn't get lost.......... I could have saved a good 3 hours of play time lol. Thank you so much Lisa and Doug for finding me!!!!!!! I <3 you both!!!!

Ether: You're too good. I didn't win. But I did learn so much after playing you. Host more!!!!11!1!

Doug: The rumors are true. You're amazing even though you haven't played in forever. I got lucky in most of the matches we did. We need to play more! Vs Donley was pretty fun. Hehe....

JWolf: It was awesome to see you. We still didn't play 1v1 though..... *Sadface* :(

Malco: Always a pleasure playing against you! Can't wait until next time! :)

The guy with JWolf.... (Justin?): You're a pretty chill guy. It would be shweet if we hung out and played more. :)

Bats: **** Peach.... lol. My Sheik is so bad. I feel like I should have gone YLink in the draft crew.... Good **** though. You've improved since the last time we played.

S.T.A.R.S: Y'all rock.

rhan

Smash Hero
You sure mommy will let you out?

Shaeman: And please take the bakura pic, its an inside joke between us. u had to be there.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Hmmm I rather not comment your ignorance Rhan. Since Shaden said please I might change my avatar. Bah I'm bored of that British guy that never won a duel to save his life. P.S Sorry for not "being" there I fawkin hate My folks right now atm. Trying to bribe with the movies instead of melee on the 25th. Im fawkin Pissed as I dont know what. Get this my folks are like, "We know your mad because your not going to North carolina, Its just that we dont feel safe for you going." (BS) Instead of going to there you can go to the movies instead, with your friend (girl who they know i like since mid school) cause she invited you. So I guess its a win/lose situation. I dont go to North Carolina with my crew to **** some people, But i go to the movies with My middle school crush.
The Bro's b4 Hoes thing, i Dont feel it for this one. I think i should just be happy that im gonna hang out with her.
Oh and Ether We still need to Play i need my grudge match from last time that 3 stock **** aint happening again lol.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I just worked a 20 hour shift.....

WTF Im sore as hell
jesus boy, what do you do and where? just be thankful that's not a regular thing [like my 12-15 hour work days XD]
Oh and Ether We still need to Play i need my grudge match from last time that 3 stock **** aint happening again lol.
LOL that's what you think XD

Meanwhile: I got Chops to his last stock in a tourney Falco ditto yesterday. My tech skill is garbage but at least I'm smart ^_^...and at least he wasn't straight givin me the business like he did the next match [UGH Dreamland against a good Falco. I'm not a good Falco. I got doodoo'ed on so hard.]

OMG H4X

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rustytotallypwns
ya pitzer ill let you know. i just dont have a working car right now, and craigs seems like a far bike ride.

youll know if i can work something out

Aurora

Smash Rookie
I'd like to second what Ether said and say thanks for everyone who came out last night. I never imagined we'd be able to squeeze about a dozen people in our apartment though, lol, but I think it worked out alright.

Sorry you got so lost Rhan, I should have jus come and got you to begin with. You were really lost for 3 hours though?? It's all good though. Good matches against you, I'd say were about even. I need to play more people like you instead of getting my *** handed to me every night by Ether, lol.

Doug! Good seeing you again, man. I have to agree with KP though, your Peach is pretty hard to kill. Sheik/Marth matches were pretty fun, I can't even remember if I won any of those, but it doesn't really matter too much I guess. You've definitely gotta come over more though!

Wow, too many other shout-outs to list.. let's jus sum it up here. Good games for everyone I played against, you know who you are. Too bad I couldn't be a part of the final crew battle, even though I guess I didn't do too hot in the other ones I was a part of >_>

OMG though was it nice to play other people, it's been months!! We'll definitely have to throw these more often, it's too fun.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Sorry rhan i thought you were dogging on me. Toasty it ain't happening again mark my words. *magically plays like shadens falcon* Oh shiz i think i Got this. :/ lol Well remember My falcon has its moments and it loves marth. :D

toasty

Smash Hero
LISA! happy belated bday! :)

@ SoVa:
I miss the days of fests with shoutouts...

I remember back in the day, the community was sooo tight...then again, that's because all the people who COULD get together and play were relatively close by and all very active. we were all so eager to improve and help SoVa become...well, GOOD. Mannnn I could spend forever reminiscing...

Green Greens tourneys stick out the most...

Little Debbie Peach's Dunkin D-Smash Sticks AKA Diabetes *****aaa

rofl

those were the days [back before people figured out how to beat my low tiers XD]

~RiKu~

Smash Cadet
The next tourney SoVA need's to do is King Of Green Greens tourney.
**** brings out the ignorance of anyone :laugh:.

Ether

Smash Ace
I just worked a 20 hour shift.....

WTF Im sore as hell
wow, sorry man. Can you take a vacation soon? :ohwell:

LISA! happy belated bday! :)

@ SoVa:
I miss the days of fests with shoutouts...

I remember back in the day, the community was sooo tight...then again, that's because all the people who COULD get together and play were relatively close by and all very active. we were all so eager to improve and help SoVa become...well, GOOD. Mannnn I could spend forever reminiscing...

Green Greens tourneys stick out the most...

Little Debbie Peach's Dunkin D-Smash Sticks AKA Diabetes *****aaa

rofl

those were the days [back before people figured out how to beat my low tiers XD]
LOL, I can't believe you remembered those death sticks. That **** was straight diabetes wrapped in plastic.

The next tourney SoVA need's to do is King Of Green Greens tourney.
**** brings out the ignorance of anyone :laugh:.
Lol, sounds good. Sounds tough, actually. I may throw this in the near future. It's a $1 entry fee, with Peach's D-Smash Sticks (AKA Diabetes *****aaaa) and prize money as the reward. As well as the title King of Green Greens.

Best of 3 / best of 5 sets, only Green Greens allowed, counterpicking still applies to characters.

rhan

Smash Hero
Sorry you got so lost Rhan, I should have jus come and got you to begin with. You were really lost for 3 hours though?? It's all good though. Good matches against you, I'd say were about even. I need to play more people like you instead of getting my *** handed to me every night by Ether, lol.
It already takes about an hour and 45 minutes from Gloucester just to hit VA Beach (Traffic-less). The bridge held me back an hour. And getting lost added about another hour... either way I left at 4:30-ish and got there at 8.... I fail.....

I guess I sorta exaggerated on how lost I was. But hey! If y'all decide to host another I won't be late! :chuckle:

Sorry rhan i thought you were dogging on me. Toasty it ain't happening again mark my words. *magically plays like shadens falcon* Oh shiz i think i Got this. :/ lol Well remember My falcon has its moments and it loves marth. :D
It's all bro love.

And just so you know. Even Shaden's Falcon had MAJOR trouble against him. Still fun matches to watch though. I'll get to those videos ASAP. Might be able to have them up before HERB if I/we can get to my dad's house Friday or so.

~RiKu~

Smash Cadet
I remember those death sticks too Ether. Come to think of it, that was also when I met u for the first time.

I also remember the team Green Greens tourney Toasty threw. **** was hilarious hearing Kitsune yelling' "It's A ****in TRAP!!!!"

BTW STARS-wut's with the YuGiOh avatars? ya'll tryin to play some yugimoz or somethin?

Ether

Smash Ace
And just so you know. Even Shaden's Falcon had MAJOR trouble against him. Still fun matches to watch though. I'll get to those videos ASAP. Might be able to have them up before HERB if I/we can get to my dad's house Friday or so.
If you can make me laugh as much as S-Man does when he tries and succeeds at the crazy **** he does as Falcon, I can almost guarantee you the win.

rhan, I can't believe you came from so far away. I really appreciate it, man.

CStick

Smash Lord
shotusies:

Doug: you're obviously rusty, but still too good.

Ether: you're obviously not rusty, and got even more too gooder than last time. Glad you hosted.

S-man: **** you! I can knee dammit! Stop making me laugh!

J-wolf: you've gotten ridiculously good. Your bro Justin was pretty good, too.

Aurora: Holy crap. Even if Ether keeps crushing your spirit, it is definitely helping, because you keep getting more and more on-point when I play with/against you.

Dmon: last time I saw you, you couldnt even wavedash, let alone l-cancel. Now, you can do both, even if you still got a ways to go. Keep working on it and you'll be there in another couple months i.e. in time for some tourneys.

everyone else: sorry, but i had to leave early. Next time, though...

also, Toasty: I don't care what Otis says, but "Falcon Hero" song needs to go public. Easily one of the top three best moments in SoVA history.

JWolf

Smash Cadet
Yesterday was fun as hell, good practice. I'm definitly trying to play again before herb 2 though. I might be willing to take a trip.

Ether: your too good, I need a lot more matches with you soon. It was really fun, and ill attend anything you throw in the future. Good **** on throwing the ****.

C-stick: don't give up totally on ganon. He's too beast. Your cf was doing work in teams though.

Aurora: you've gotten a lot better since the last time I played you at Uki's house. Also, thank you so much for the pizza, that **** was banging. Family fests!

Doug: get back into it, your too good not to. We should play again before herb and you should look into going.

Stars: good **** we need to play more, yall kept playing when everyone stopped and its definitly showing.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
There comes a time in every marth's life when he makes a realization, THE realization. For me that time was today thinking about ether's marth last sat. I realized that my spacing was good, TOO GOOD. In fact, it occurred to me that part of why I struggle so much is that I am always trying to maintain tipper spacing. Always; constantly, never considering the disadvantage of always trying to play from the same spacing. In short, I have realized that I need to appreciate that opponent's can't CC indefinitely and that eventually I can go for closer spacings safely. This means that I can punish camping. But yeah, there was a tech skill that Arcnatural once told me to practice, but I never understood what use a marth would have for it. However, ether used it like mad last night. Could I have CC his closer spacing some more? Probably a few times, but everyone shields occasionally, and at high percent I couldn't have punished at all.

I mean there is still an issue with overshot fairs against sheik and marth at low percents, but that's why you need to play the first 30% of their life extra careful as marth. Just remember, eventually the CC will stop. The pain will disappear, if only for a minute.

And with that I conclude my short rant. I just find it amusing taht I always got complimented on perfect spacing..but then trying to always be at tipper distance is a very good way to get outcamped and predicted. Sometimes you just have to go for a slightly unsafe approach just to mix things up so they can't anticipate you as well.

/rant off

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
man, Otakon was mad fun. BOOOOOSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE

me and the Cdot McJohnson were getting it in when the game room opened :D
now i'm kinda fiending for melee >_> might actually try to play sometime this week. someone host.

toasty

Smash Hero
Re: KP's post [hah, I remember when Ether was like "...I'm gonna call you KP" and then it just stuck hah]

one of my bigger problems, in general, is forgetting that people will invariably CC certain approaches up to a certain percent. It's one of the main reasons I get effed up in Fox dittos [plus, I never think about going for the grab which is practically the crux of the matchup, at least at early percents].

ANYWAY WHOOOO am I seeing at HERB?!?! I'm trying to leave work early so I can get there in time for singles babyyyy

OH OH OH CABOOSE I NEED TO CALL YOU...OR...YOU CAN CALL ME WHEN YOU WAKE UP!

I may [probably do] have a ride for you to HERB!!!!

You should totally come through! SpeedYoshi is probably going in the same car [with JCaesar] but it may require you to get to a convenient spot near a highway exit

just PM JCaesar007 if you're interested. If you're not, also let him know [and say your name is Caboose, plx, since that's the name I told him] so he can take you off the waiting list.

He will be leaving Friday late afternoon.

G-reg will be in the car as well and there will be a Melee setup, I believe. It's an Expedition with 8 seats, lmao

I'll find you housing but honestly, it shouldn't be hard. The venue is a hotel and there will be tons of rooms with at least a Buddha's worth of floor space XD May cost a tiny bit of money but I don't think you're interested in TO5 [whaaaaat] since it's a 9+ hour drive from SoVa this part of GA

anyway.

yeah.

come to HERB.

come to TO5.

We all better go to Pound 4 at the very least.

SOVA BABY!

YES YES YES KITS!!!!

also!

"Falcon Hero" will definitely make an appearance on the global scene sooner than later.

I just gotta add captions so you can understand the lyrics because wow they are WAY too good lmao

rhan

Smash Hero
If you can make me laugh as much as S-Man does when he tries and succeeds at the crazy **** he does as Falcon, I can almost guarantee you the win.

rhan, I can't believe you came from so far away. I really appreciate it, man.
It's no big deal. I use to live in Newport News my entire life. Leaving Gloucester is a blessing. :)

Also guys who are going to HERB: Make a list of the **** y'all are bringing. If you lose **** there you ain't getting it back.

I'm taking 3 setups! :chuckle:

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
when is anyone playing again? kits? i couldn't go to ether's fest. =/. car accident johns. right before the fest too.

Malco!!!

Smash Apprentice
Jwolf and I are going!
Rhan who exactly are you driving?
I ask cause Im driving aswell but would like to drive together....not to lessen the chances of getting lost but to make funny faces at you while driving 60 to 70 miles per hour on the highway! :]
*Being serious^*

Oh and Toasty your PM needs to be checked!

rhan

Smash Hero
when is anyone playing again? kits? i couldn't go to ether's fest. =/. car accident johns. right before the fest too.
I was wondering where you was at. Sucks bro. :(

Jwolf and I are going!
Rhan who exactly are you driving?
I ask cause Im driving aswell but would like to drive together....not to lessen the chances of getting lost but to make funny faces at you while drive 60 to 70 miles per hour on the highway! :]*Being serious^*

Oh and Toasty your PM needs to be checked!
HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's too good.

I wouldn't mind driving y''all over there. G-Mon's going to be the only other guy in my car. My little bros are riding with my Dad. Shaeman and KP are riding with Crystalnite. But the whole thing about that is if my dad would let y'all ride with me. It's legal if y'all are over age 18 but he's the ultimate decision maker.

BTW STARS-wut's with the YuGiOh avatars? ya'll tryin to play some yugimoz or somethin?
Can't believe I missed this post.

We just like old school Yu-Gi-Oh. I still got my deck. It's pretty bad but it's purely put together by me. No structure decks. Next time we meet I'll be sure to have my deck on me.

I just need better traps.... :(

Malco!!!

Smash Apprentice

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's too good.

I wouldn't mind driving y''all over there. G-Mon's going to be the only other guy in my car. My little bros are riding with my Dad. Shaeman and KP are riding with Crystalnite. But the whole thing about that is if my dad would let y'all ride with me. It's legal if y'all are over age 18 but he's the ultimate decision maker.
Hmmm I wasnt even thinking of you driving, but good spit!!!. Well Jwolf and I are both over the age of 18, but I know daddys rule! How much gas money do you charge per person? And I was just pretty much asking if we can leave together.

rhan

Smash Hero
Ah, well if y'all ride with me I'll just ask for $10 each. Just on the way. I'll cover the way back on my own.

We're probably going to leave really early Saturday, but I'm trying to get in contact with my dad to see if he wants to leave Friday. That way we all get a good rest before the actual tourney.

If y'all can't ride with me, I'm sure my dad wonldn't care if y'all followed us. We're probably going to just be following him the entire time anyway. He's got the GPS in his car...hehe....

JWolf

Smash Cadet
I got GPS on my phone haha, and that's the only reason why we didn't get lost going to ethers house. Well, the detour ****ed us over for a second, but after i turned around once I didn't care and went through it. I honestly had no idea where i was because i was just listening to my phone say turn left over and over again. And that's why i couldn't give you directions to ether's Malco.

Also, Who is trying to play sometime this week before this trip? I can't host myself, i got a small room, but I'm willing to make a trip out somewhere to play for a few hours.

Top Bottom