• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
toasty: too freaking good

and at ken?! just. WOW. lawlled in the comp lab

toasty ill be bringing your wii + tv. should i bring the cube as well for afterwards or stick with the wii? slash wrote down a list of equipment bringers and it seems we have 10 full setups or so

and where the hell is CNU? they coming to this schoolie?

famous: ive always played wario, falcon, and ike. def not tourny players but everyone else is either boring, not my style, or just plain gay. i probably wont be in the winner's circle anymore

edit: i uh...i need a ride >_> someone probably already assumed i was going with them but just confirming

rhan

Smash Hero
Ken was tricked onto survivor.

They told him that they was hosting a huge SSBM tourney and he was invited. All expense paid and everything. You bet he looked pretty stupid in the face when he looked around and noticed that he was the only one with a gamecube controller....

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
!@$#!@##@%R@#$@!$!@!$!@%#!@#!@#

Boose: I can drive you to the tourney...I'll be taking you, Dean, and Glenn. We'll be leaving earlier than I thought though. Like...10? So be ready :) And yayuhhz we'll bring the Cube too! ^_^

now...about chairs/tables >_> ****. I'll see what I can do...

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a partner either. As far as Saturday goes, I'll mainly be around 4 teams only.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
yea i dont have a partner but...riku's a noob

:D

frills though id be up for it since everyone else is taken and BLKG's coming late. just know that i tend to be incredibly aggressive in teams

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
I hope you at least enter, Riku :) Not makin fun, just sayin...don't think you've entered a Brawl tourney in a long long time
yeah, it has been a while. and yes i plan on playing in teams.
boose, i don't mind teamin up.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
yeeyahz. this weekend's going to be so freaking sweet. you going to O-NO's on friday? we can get practice there if i can get a ride. slash?

Jwolf: get a match in with me this weekend before brawl makes me sad again.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
yeeyahz. this weekend's going to be so freaking sweet. you going to O-NO's on friday? we can get practice there if i can get a ride. slash?

Jwolf: get a match in with me this weekend before brawl makes me sad again.
yeah, i'll b at o-no's friday.

toasty

Smash Hero
Y'ALL BETTER HYPE THIS **** UP WITH YOUR FRIENDS!!!
Hova and G-Reg decide tomorrow if they're going to come to the tourney on saturday or not.
We want a good showing and we want as many people entered in tourneys as possible. We don't want to have to reinstate the SoVa Bltch rule... >_>

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Sweetness, this is gonna be insane. Also, JWolf and anyone else that doesn't have a partner... I'm looking for a solid partner... my Diddy and Lucas are getting much better and I'm working on ROB. Also, if absolutely needed, I can play a really gay MK (I hate playing as gay MK). Hit me up here if any of you are interested. I'll only be able to get in team practice the morning of tourney though....

JWolf

Smash Cadet
Sorry Uki, but i actually wanted someone that placed relatively decent in past tournys.....

Slash do you have a partner? And is Schoolie going to attend?

Malco!!!

Smash Apprentice
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Im not going to lie I heard Uki wasnt good and I havent played brawl for a long time and now that Im back after while and I thought I was going to get *****, but I didnt. :ohwell:

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
lol. dang people getting word *****. hmm. come sept ecpi **** by "mashi" malco. you know what i mean. =P

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess I'm gonna go and play just singles.... seems like most people have teammates, and those who don't, don't wanna partner with me. I honestly wish I had the time to put into training that alot of you have, but I don't.... If anyone is willing to give me a shot as a partner... let me know, if not... I'm just not gonna bother asking people anymore. Its just not worth getting slammed because I'm not on par with the best of the best in this area...

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Well, I guess I'm gonna go and play just singles.... seems like most people have teammates, and those who don't, don't wanna partner with me. I honestly wish I had the time to put into training that alot of you have, but I don't.... If anyone is willing to give me a shot as a partner... let me know, if not... I'm just not gonna bother asking people anymore. Its just not worth getting slammed because I'm not on par with the best of the best in this area...
Hey like I said wait for tourney day when people don't have partners are weeded out. Asking on here to the regular 6-8 guys that always team with eachother is asking to be disapointed =/

I know DON and Rhan were trying to come, there's 2 potential teammates right there

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Hey like I said wait for tourney day when people don't have partners are weeded out. Asking on here to the regular 6-8 guys that always team with eachother is asking to be disapointed =/

I know DON and Rhan were trying to come, there's 2 potential teammates right there
Rhan said he couldn't because of his family trip to outer banks.... and D0N will probably be teaming with Sen. Also, I'm just asking anyone... I toss out names sometimes, like JWolf said he needed a partner... so I offered... I'm not upset, because he has a point... I don't place high in tourney, partly because my brackets always run me into the likes of the top tier early on (got Schoolie first round at last tourney -.-) but even then, I do fairly well, just can't pull off sets.

But what is upsetting me is the **** that is earlier on this page.... *points up to Malco's post*

toasty

Smash Hero
You're a funny character.
I'm funny how? Like a clown? I'm here to amuse you?

I will ****ing stab you with my toaster.

Don't be a dlck Malco. It's just not what we do here. *cue Malco's post of 'jeez it was just a joke, guy. quit being so serious'...though you may have grown out of that*

Uki, you'll find a teammate for sure [at LEAST at the tourney]. And you'll get better. I hope haha. But it really takes time, and the SKILL to learn and apply what you've learned. Research your characters on the boards. Don't post nonsense though. You'll get flamed. Don't make new threads asking for help. Take the time to look through the guides people have already written. LOOK THROUGH ALL THE POSTS IN THOSE THREADS. I may take a couple days. Look at videos first, though. That way you can see who the better players of that character are. And you'll know who ISN'T good if their shltty videos somehow got posted. But that way, you'll know who's advice to trust on the boards. If there are threads for that character showing tournament wins/losses or whatever, or some sort of indiciation as to how specific people are placing with that character, use that as a tool for credibility [take into account the region they're in and how competitive it and the tournaments they're placing in are]

Yeah. It's hard work. But for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of competitive experience or experience WITH good/competitive players [like Jwolf - didn't go to Melee tourneys much at all, but he played against MaSHi a lot and now the kid's a beast!], that's the kind of thing you'll have to do. Research strategies, technical things about matchups [what works, what doesn't, what "advanced players" might do to you and what you could do to them]...most efficient thing to do: find a bunch of threads that fit the description of what I said [they're typically stickied at the top of each character forum, if the forum is good, that is] and SUBSCRIBE to that thread. Then take the time to read bits and pieces at a time of each and within a week or two you'll have a tremendous amount of knowledge.

What you want to do when it comes to teaming is play team friendlies with people if you can and find someone you work well with [not someone who picks up your slack though]. That isn't always a convenient option for anyone, so instead, you should talk to people who place similarly to you or anyone you can honestly assess as having a similar skill level. And NO that doesn't include "well I didn't get COMPLETELY *****. Just partially...you know? Just the tip...he was pretty gentle about the whole thing :)". I mean that the battles really come down the last hit or at least you win one, they win one, and keep in mind when people may or may not be sandbagging you.

Please note that MOST of the people who frequent the SoVa boards are quite competitive and skilled (and playing them may lead to them sandbagging, intentionally or otherwise). Your luck with finding a suitable teammate HERE to stick with are, realistically, slim. Again, I stress: MOST people. Not all. There are people here you could still team with. But they rarely post, and even more rarely ask for a teammate.

gah I gotta get back to work, but the point is: work hard. don't talk back to advice bceause "this one time blah blah blah worked!" Know where you stand among people. Find a teammate at the tourney.

EDIT: OOOOMFG I started writing this post a bit ago and didn't even see Malco's post @_@

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for clarifying that Malco. With all the problems in my life right now, the smash community is all i have left for a friend-base. All of my other friends have just abandoned me when because I've had some problems come up with my living conditions (look back a few pages for the basics of that) and I really don't wanna feel like the smash gang is turning on me either.... Thats why I am trying to go to tourneys and stuff, because even without a ton of spending money, I don't mind spending some of it hanging with this group.

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
lol drama. man who cares what people say. it's just something you gotta get used to. people call me bad all the time but i don't care. i shut them up with tourney placings and stuff. so just go along with it and eventually when you get better throw out them money matches. =]. yes i will be accepting money matches at o-no's and tourney if there is time. just look me up =P

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Toasty: I just read the long post you made here and I must say. It is very solid advice. Honestly, I already do quite abit of it already, its just that I don’t have a system or a place to consistently play at that I can put the theory (I’ll call it theory just because metagames are still growning) into practice. As for the sandbagging, I really hope that people stop thinking of me as a scrub and begin to take me serious. I know that good players will sandbag sometimes, but if you start beating them while they do that, then it forces them to go all out. I remember one of the Hi-score tourneys, my first round was WhoDat. He pulled out ROB against me the first two games, but when I played effectively and actually beat him with my Lucas in one game of the set, he quickly switched gears and went Olimar at Luigi’s. He was trying to go all out and even then, I gave him a good game with MK (This match is what made me hate playing as the Whorenado MK.)

In all, I am still growing as a player and I hope people will give me a chance every once in awhile… that’s all I ask for.

Mashi: Yeah, its true... but its gonna take some time for me to get better at this.

Top Bottom