• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soul Calibur IV

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
There both great games. You shouldn't try to favor one over the other-although, SC2 is my pick, because:

-Faster gameplay
-Character voices
-Decent stages

Which, don't get me wrong, SC4 is great, but I just enjoyed SC2 better.

That my be biased, though, because it's basically the only fighter on NGC, and Link, my man, was in it. :p

And thank you, Bozey! ^-^

smashbot226

Smash Master
I think SC4 is better.
the gameplay is slower but you have better graphics.
Remind you of anything?

Cough
BRAWLBRAWLBRAWL
Cough

S+ Tier: Sophitia, Ivy (with infinite)
S Tier: MItsurigi, Cassandra
A+ Tier: Yoshimitsu, Astaroth, Zalsalamel
A Tier: Ivy (without infinite), Xianghua, Lizard Man
B+ Tier: Mina, Raphael, Amy, Maxi, Setsuka
B Tier: Kilik, Nightmare, Sigfried, Yunsung, Voldo, Cervantes
C+ Tier: Talim, Tira, Taki, Hilde, Rock

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Remind you of anything?

Cough
BRAWLBRAWLBRAWL
Cough

Talim is God Tier,as a character anyway.

Her lines are so incredibly deep and inspiring. "Wind guide me!" This shows that she is not afraid to go anywhere. The wind could blow her into a volcano but Talim isn't afraid. She may be a short little 90 pound girl but that's 90 pounds of heart. She even apologizes as she rips her enemies into pieces. She is a role model for us all.

That my be biased, though, because it's basically the only fighter on NGC, and Link, my man, was in it. :p
Melee...?

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
Remind you of anything?

Cough
BRAWLBRAWLBRAWL
Cough

Ummmm...where's Algol and the Apprentice? And is Cervantes really on the same tier as Nightmare!?

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Early impression of tiers according to AkazukinChaCha's evaluation of competitive play so far...

A: (top) exceptional qualities, saftey, oki, soul gauge abuse and damage

Amy
Sophitia
Yoshimitsu
Cassandra

B: (upper)- Great damage, pressure, mix up game and safety or soul gauge abuse

Lizardman
Mitsurugi
Taki
Siegfried
Raphael

C: (upper mid) solid on damage, pressure, safety, some gimmicks to early abuse

Xianghua
Talim
Cervantes
Algol
Kilik
Setsuka
Ivy

D: (mid) no overbearing features, but solid damage and set ups, reasonable safety/range, often gimmick dependant, lacking at least one major requisite of those above them.

Astaroth
Voldo
Tira
Zasalamel
Nightmare
Yun
Maxi

E: (lower mid) gimmick depenant, poor damage and set ups, no outstanding positives to outweigh negatives

The Apprentice
Darth Vader
Seong Mina
Hilde

F: (bottom tier) huge negatives, inconsistant damage, subpar when compared to peers

Rock
Yoda
http://www.8wayrun.com/f21/early-impression-of-tiers-t238/page2.html

Ivy infinite is a) easily banned and b) not practical in competitive play, so it should hardly be taken into account. Much, much stricter frame for buffering CS/SS has really hit Ivy hard... though I've no doubt that she'll move up the tiers as people study her more.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Same with Smashbot, I almost never verse an Ivy online (I actually never thought she was that good).
The people who I play against are usually custom Nighmare characters with the occasionally Kilik.

Maybe the version difference attracts different crowds.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
My friend said everyone online uses
Mitsurugi,Nightmare,Kilik,Algol and Raphael.

Truth?
And he said hes NEVER run into a Tira,it makes me weep cause Tira is the sex.

He gets his butt owned by Talim,which is good.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I'm lvl 43 currently but I haven't played in a while. But the higher up in the levels you get the more Sophitias and Amys you're going to fight. It depends on the lag but Sophitia is one of those lucky fighting game characters that actually benefits very highly from some lag rather than be at a disadvantage because of the nature of her fighting style, which is all about these short but sweeping arc motions and a ton of really fast high to low attacks. I've fought some fights where I literally can't duck fast enough to block one of her most basic high to low moves, it can be infuriating. I guess I should have seen it coming, we're just now getting to the point where internet can allow something as detail intensive as a fighting game to be played online so it won't be perfect. It's not bad for the most part though usually except for fighting Soph.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
I wasted so much time online by making up funny custom costumes for Zasa-llama-l and discovering the true meaning of "Namu". By the way, if you see anyone on Xbox Live named xX Dr Hobo Xx ask him about MANTASTIC, then proceed to scream "namu" as loud as you can.

God I love this game.

/off topic

For some reason I seem to be a Kilik magnet. The other day, my Nightmare had to go up against SIX Kiliks in a row during a bout of ranked matches. Needless to say, all of them used the same move over, and over, and over again. Ugh. Kilik is definently the most common character I see online for some reason...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
This game is good, but appears to be much easier than SC2.

I litterally never beat Robert at SC2, but I beat him on my 2nd, 3rd and 4th match playing SC4. That was the first time I'd ever played it, and he's had it for 3, almost 4 weeks. I just stepped to the side and grabbed him, takes like 3 grabs to kill someone. (I was The Apprentice btw).

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Can I get some impressions of Talim from people that use her? I want to get SoulCalibur IV soon, and she's been my main ever since her debut in Soul Calibur II. (Yes, I stuck with her in III.)

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Grabbing isn't really competive play....

Although I will say mixing throws in with attacks instead of grabbing over and over is acceptable. ;)

EDIT: Sure Serris!

Talim is still an amazing character. Even though he moved have been tweaked, removed, etc, she still has a nice style.

Her "BBK" has been removed, which hurts her combo potential.

However, she has made up for it with combos like this:

Ice Wind Combo: (By ethanrodgers223)

AA>BB, (Wind Dance)A+G, (While turning around) B, 3BA(hold A for about 2 seconds), (Whlie turning around) B, A+B- 236A-236B

17 hits.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Grabbing isn't really competive play....

Although I will say mixing throws in with attacks instead of grabbing over and over is acceptable. ;)

EDIT: Sure Serris!

Talim is still an amazing character. Even though her moves have been tweaked, removed, etc, she still has a nice style.

Her "BBK" has been removed, which hurts her combo potential.

However, she has made up for it with combos like this:

Ice Wind Combo: (By ethanrodgers223)

AA>BB, (Wind Dance)A+G, (While turning around) B, 3BA(hold A for about 2 seconds), (Whlie turning around) B, A+B- 236A-236B

17 hits.
Thanks for the info, Ethan. I think I'll give it a try at my friend's house before making any final decisions, though.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
I wish there was a bigger variety of "normal" clothes. Too many of my CAS characters wear the duelers jacket, like the Captain Falcon I made.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
*cough* Bump *cough*

But seriously, I've heard that a new patch has come out for SCIV (the US hasn't gotten it yet) But apparently, it somewhat nerfed Voldo and Algol...two of my favorite characters :(

Anyone have other news on the update?

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
No, I had no idea they were going to do something like that.

I wish they would come out with more custom parts. I want finish Sophitia's armor.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure exactly why, but I heard that in past games, Namco released tons of DLC. A lot of people think that Soul Calibur will be no exception to the DLC too.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
:O This thread is back. I haven't played in awhile... I gave up on schezrazade because I couldn't do anything with her on the tower. So now I'm just cheaping my way through with nightmare horizontal blows of doom.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
For the last match with Agol in the tower, I used Amy, Ivy, and Sophitia, and just had Master Impact, and I won the third time I tried.

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
*cough* Bump *cough*

But seriously, I've heard that a new patch has come out for SCIV (the US hasn't gotten it yet) But apparently, it somewhat nerfed Voldo and Algol...two of my favorite characters :(

Anyone have other news on the update?
http://www.8wayrun.com/f21/new-1-03-patch-in-japan-t598/

I'm itching to get it so we can figure out exactly what it's done to Kilik's B+K series... They need to nerf Sophitia more, lol.

I have not touched the Tower mode ever. I got my 30 honors, so screw it. :p

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
kk, I just bought the new parts pack,

It sucks. You get 5 things.

A pumpkin head ( m & F )

A cape (for men)

A bra thing (F)

Panties thing(F)

Top Bottom