• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarLonLonMilk

Smash Rookie
Uair1 > utilt is a classic Brawl combo. Nice to see it back. :applejack:
Is it possible to get the up tilt after BOTH hits of the up air? In the video I uploaded, I cancel the up air after the first hit because I can't figure out how to do the follow up otherwise.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Is it possible to get the up tilt after BOTH hits of the up air? In the video I uploaded, I cancel the up air after the first hit because I can't figure out how to do the follow up otherwise.
Probably not, but I wouldn't know for sure. If they are around 0% and you manage to connect both uair1/2 from offstage moving back onstage while they were on-stage when uair1 hits, then perhaps you can buffer into utilt since uair2 doesn't have much landing lag.

Or maybe uairing them from below a platform.

Neither of this were reasonably possible in Brawl though, so I doubt it. It's all too much of a risk, and impractical as is.

That all assumes that uair2 has low knockback. :applejack:

Last edited:

MarLonLonMilk

Smash Rookie
Probably not, but I wouldn't know for sure. If they are around 0% and you manage to connect both uair1/2 from offstage moving back onstage while they were on-stage when uair1 hits, then perhaps you can buffer into utilt since uair2 doesn't have much landing lag.

Or maybe uairing them from below a platform.

Neither of this were reasonably possible in Brawl though, so I doubt it. It's all too much of a risk, and impractical as is.

That all assumes that uair2 has low knockback. :applejack:
I figured as much, thanks.

Just getting this done was hard enough because of the circle pad. I can see myself executing this easily with a Gamecube controller in hand. The knockback on the first half of the uair is okay until around 70%.** After that, I struggle to get the utilt to connect.

**Originally thought the knockback was too strong at 55%, but I can do this until 70%.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah, generally speaking uair1 > utilt is an early percentage mini-combo. It's never the best option, but it's very rarely expected, so it works from time to time.

You don't always have to utilt either, by the way. Sonic loves characters that are trying to land, and uair1 sends them just high enough to force either the double jump, or an early commitment to landing. Uair1 > spinning towards their landing is a good setup. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Homing attack is so good now. Like, damn this **** is so safe.

Also I realized today that Sonic can still jump-cancel spindashes on slopes. This probably won't benefit us at all anymore considering how little legal stages there are.

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I played for about an hour today with a friend. Man homing attack is hilarious. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's by far a viable option. It's stupid how legitimate of an attack it is now.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I agree homing attack is pretty good. Projectile spammers eat it like candy.

Huh I never knew about uair1 > up tilt. You learn something new every day.

Last edited:

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
I take it you just sort of forgot your old account information? ;)
Eeeeeyup...

It's by far a viable option. It's stupid how legitimate of an attack it is now.

I should probably use more HA now. Outside of doing it offstage, it really is one of Sonic's safer moves now; especially on shields oh boy.

I have noticed though that he still has that long landing lag if you whiff from a distance so watch out for that.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Never ever do it off stage. Oh god. It hurts my soul to see him fall into oblivion like that.

Une

Smash Apprentice
And I thought I hated Yoshi. This character is a pile of horse**** and I want the guy that brought him back for Smash 4 fired. I'd rather play as Ganondorf versus MEWTWO on SKYLOFT then face this hellishly dumb character (Not really) Now that I think about it, the only version of Sanic I'm okay with is the Brawl one sorta. This character is such a goddamn terrible design that he deserves to be no higher then mid tier. I don't think there is any way to make him a good character without him being a degenerate pile of garbage. I mean, look what happened in Project M and this game. This character can go to hell

kataridragon

Smash Ace
And I thought I hated Yoshi. This character is a pile of horse**** and I want the guy that brought him back for Smash 4 fired. I'd rather play as Ganondorf versus MEWTWO on SKYLOFT then face this hellishly dumb character (Not really) Now that I think about it, the only version of Sanic I'm okay with is the Brawl one sorta. This character is such a goddamn terrible design that he deserves to be no higher then mid tier. I don't think there is any way to make him a good character without him being a degenerate pile of garbage. I mean, look what happened in Project M and this game. This character can go to hell
Another Satisfied Customer!!!

Anyways anybody got some quick tips on good moments to use spinshot? I used it in brawl a little but I would like to get some ideas. I would love to work it into my game.

I can do it I just need some guidance as to when it's most effective.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
K.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
You should main sonic =o

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822

Another Satisfied Customer!!!

Anyways anybody got some quick tips on good moments to use spinshot? I used it in brawl a little but I would like to get some ideas. I would love to work it into my game.

I can do it I just need some guidance as to when it's most effective.
I really only use it as a mixup option for approaching and getting back on stage. If you're being zoned out on the ground you can spinshot over your opponent and from there you have a few options available to you such as an aerial, HA, or simply landing and reading your opponent for a follow up.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
So I've been playing this character a bit in this game and I retract what I said before. This character is still dumb and unsatisfying to play as and obnoxious to play against and he still has almost all his dumb gimmicks. The only real difference is that he's actually good now (which if anything makes it more annoying). I was hoping to actually enjoy playing him this time round but alas that's not happening.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Awesome thanks for the ideas. Generally I dont have a problem with zoning characters. The invincibility on his f-special is good enough. However Ness Pk fire and Zss Stun gun are hard to deal with and I can see the spin shot helping to mitigate those problems. I like the recovery too.

I just have a difficult time getting it to work 100% of the time. I haven't had too much of a problem with the 3ds controls until right now. I can spin shot on brawl easy but something about the button spacing and size throws me off. Ill get it though!

Last edited:

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
The timing for it is a little more strict in this installment. I find it easier to just kinda flick my thumb across the A button while letting go of the B button.

Also if you're using Side-B to spin shot, try letting the circle pad go back to neutral position while you're charging. Dunno if that makes it easier, but it helps me execute it consistently.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Warning Received
So I've been playing this character a bit in this game and I retract what I said before. This character is still dumb and unsatisfying to play as and obnoxious to play against and he still has almost all his dumb gimmicks. The only real difference is that he's actually good now (which if anything makes it more annoying). I was hoping to actually enjoy playing him this time round but alas that's not happening.
K.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Huh. My record is a bit more abysmal.

I get carried away trying to use side-B from off-stage, Dair as an edgeguard and not recover, and matchup inexperience.

The last one isn't a problem much of anymore, though. It's very easy when all I ever fight are Greninjas, Little Macs, and Bowsers. It's gotten to a point where anytime I see the three mentioned, I just make an effort to make the match as annoying for them as possible.

It wouldn't be so bad, if all of them didn't simply just ROLL for movement on stage, and in the case of Greninja and Bowser use Dair when they're above the stage to try and overpower and outprioritize me.

... I also quit after two/three matches if the person hasn't made a clear effort to adapt or improve. I'm not trying to increase my win-loss ratio, I'm looking for the diamond in the rough person who is actually formidable and gives me a challenge. Somebody who is worth playing and can give me something else to do other than SDR across the map and not have it punished. :X

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Warning Received
K. :applejack:

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
I dunno how you guys can stand playing online.

Tbh I don't even know how I even managed to play online in Brawl now that I look back on it.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I kind of gave up on for glory mode. 99.9% of the players are awful and you'll never learn a thing from them. I've hit up the 3ds friend code friend a few times and while most of them aren't good either, they're at least not rolling from one edge to another. Plus, I've found a few people that were quite good with their characters. I have a new found respect for the Shulk and Palutena matchup lol.

Tbh I don't even know how I even managed to play online in Brawl now that I look back on it.

Maybe your connection isn't very good, I dunno. The games I've played have been about as perfect as anyone could ask for. Brawl felt like a slower game online with a good connection. So far, I've basically felt like I was playing offline on this game.

Last edited:

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
It wouldn't be so bad, if all of them didn't simply just ROLL for movement on stage, and in the case of Greninja and Bowser use Dair when they're above the stage to try and overpower and outprioritize me.
I actually really enjoy playing Greninja and will probably pick him as my secondary. Also, his Dair can be canceled into Side B upon landing so watch out for that. If you want we could play a few rounds to show how someone would actually play as him :x

On a side note, For Glory Records show nothing more other than how many wifi scrubs you've beaten(and maybe a few actually decent people) vs. getting beaten by actually decent people(and maybe lag :V) I'm 247-30 but even then I only consider myself average at best.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫

My connections fine. I might just be too used to FPS now on xbox that I can't take any lag whatsoever anymore. That or I'm stuck with reprobates with third world connections.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I simply use for glory a means for me learning hitbox ranges and what not as opposed to true MU practice. granted there are occasions where i find some decent opponents.

Trent

Smash Champion
Forward Air is amazing for short hops (If they're tall enough). It's also good for stringing combos off stage if you follow them correctly.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385

My connections fine. I might just be too used to FPS now on xbox that I can't take any lag whatsoever anymore. That or I'm stuck with reprobates with third world connections.

Dunno. I play and have played plenty of other games online to know what a good connection feels like. I don't even feel input lag most of the time when playing this game. It's not an adjustment thing either. Brawl had an obvious adjustment for online. This still feels like the same game.

Last edited:

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero

Is that from your wired or your wireless connection though?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
tbqh, I think we're pretty damn handicapped when playing online because we have to work for our kills, whereas a Mac or Bowser can just get one smash attack to connect and they're pretty much done.

So.. add lag to that equation and that's it.

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

Take this from somebody who couldn't stand Brawl online for S@#$: Smash 3DS online isn't so bad. I have particular spikes here and there and when my mother uses the other computer; however, it's actually a decent substitute for local play.

Speaking of local play, even THAT occasionally spikes; which, I don't understand given that the person is right next to you.

But, this complaint will be rendered irrelevant upon the WiiU release. For the time being, I can only assume the internet connections over in Europe are just worse in general. Perhaps yours is the exception; but, you'll feel it as well if the other person's wi-fi sucks.

I actually really enjoy playing Greninja and will probably pick him as my secondary. Also, his Dair can be canceled into Side B upon landing so watch out for that. If you want we could play a few rounds to show how someone would actually play as him :x
Oh! Funny thing: I ran into a Greninja who showed me that. I'll never fall for it again after that match; but, you should've seen the huge grin on my face when I actually came across an opponent who did something different than the masses. I legitimately enjoy playing with people who have a different style or are good enough to give me a run for my money. I only have to shift through 10 baddies to get that one person; but, it's very worth.

As for playing with you: that's something to look forward to if I manage to find time between school and work. For the time-being; regrettably, I let my friend borrow both my 3DS and my copy of smash to have a bit of practice.

... I also have no idea how I can find out my friend codes. The 3DS I have isn't even actually mine. It was a hand-me-down from Jerry when he got a XL. Really good friend, he is. I wouldn't have been able to afford a 3DS given my current and contemporary circumstance.

tbqh, I think we're pretty damn handicapped when playing online because we have to work for our kills, whereas a Mac or Bowser can just get one smash attack to connect and they're pretty much done.

So.. add lag to that equation and that's it.
I believe that's just Sonic retaining some of his character design's weaknesses, not necessarily something to blame on Wi-Fi (although it probably does and can contribute somewhat). Incredible mobility and mix-up game has to come at some cost; otherwise, he'd be broken as all Hell.

And to be fair, Sonic's better off than some characters I see in this game. I'd say Sonic is going to be a solid high-tier character in this game. ^_^

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I believe that's just Sonic retaining some of his character design's weaknesses, not necessarily something to blame on Wi-Fi (although it probably does and can contribute somewhat). Incredible mobility and mix-up game has to come at some cost; otherwise, he'd be broken as all Hell.

And to be fair, Sonic's better off than some characters I see in this game. I'd say Sonic is going to be a solid high-tier character in this game. ^_^
Yep, it's just like that. That's why I think that if we made a separate tier list for Lag-Fi, Sonic would get screwed over a lot more than, let's say, Ike.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I'm at 229 wins 39 losses. I think as Sonic mains we have struggled to beat higher tiers in brawl and now we are just moping the floor with people now that he is more of a threat.

I have played some good matches. I really only lose to good players and bad lag against campers... Oh I've had some SD's too working on some tricks. It happens.

I also think that sonic isn't for scrubs. I bet most Sonic players who frequent these threads are probably pretty good.

Sonic boards for best win\loss ratios on SB!

Last edited:

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
I'm at 229 wins 39 losses. I think as Sonic mains we have struggled to beat higher tiers in brawl and now we are just moping the floor with people now that he is more of a threat.

I have played some good matches. I really only lose to good players and bad lag against campers... Oh I've had some SD's too working on some tricks. It happens.

I also think that sonic isn't for scrubs. I bet most Sonic players who frequent these threads are probably pretty good.

Sonic boards for best win\loss ratios on SB!
I've died a few time to thing i never thought of. I lost game because i tried to up-b > up air a Bowser and he just down b'd and killed me at like 30 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom