• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic+ ~UPDATED OP 11/15/09~

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
By that I'm guessing we are referring to:

~Usmash Spike
~Bair -2 Frames Start Up

If that is the case I am down, yet I want to tweak with the spike degrees a little as soon as I find out how.

I will agree with that, iSpiN.
So we've come to a compromise now, yes? Great.

Maybe we should start discussing metagame now finally? xD

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Lol Blank, I already saw all those in the Xat Chat.

Matchups? Everyone is 2 slow?

Also, Sonic dominates on Big Blue, Rainbow Cruise, and Halberd. CP'ing these stages will give you major advantages. Sonic has no great Neutral stage, it just depends on your preference to play him.

PancakePanda

Smash Cadet
NNID
FedExGanon
Sonic can do a good job on Battlefield. Especially if the opponent is juggled from platform to platform. Not to mention of course the fact that it's also pretty easy to stage spike with his bair here.

The setup of dtilt and fair here works **** well.

..... Actually, that tends to work for me regardless of stage. Anything with tight sides fits it best though. WarioWare, anyone?

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Actually a speed up of his down b and over b wouldn't be too bad considering one of the complaints about them was that B+ physics make the moves useless. Although I'm not sure if the coders could do anything beyond start up fixes.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Hitboxes can be increased, so at the very least it could have some decent priority over the aura.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
How about we up the hitbox for Nair? Its still a mediocre move that has very few uses other than landing the Nair due to lack of landing frames.

But on to the main course...

Still wondering about that Bair -2 frames of start up buff. I guess I'll try to come up with an argument by comparing Peach's Fair. Both Peach and Sonic lack kill moves. IIRC, Peach's Fair is stronger and comes out faster than Sonic's Bair. I think Peach's is around 10-12 frames and Sonic's Bair is 13. Sonic would be able to space more effectively and not be at such a disadvantaged as say Marth or MK. Thoughts?

Cytrs

Smash Apprentice
fair should be harder to di, imo.

edit: or one of his grabs could kill at kinda high percents (130 on most people? i dunno). im kind of annoyed that i almost exclusively get aerial pressure kills/ high altitude uair kills.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Sonic is viable.
His problems are similar to captain falcon's.
-Low priority
-No Projectiles

@Jalued: Why should Sonic be hard to control? People are already used to Sonic and his physics are perfectly fine. Making him hard to control is........why?

@iSpin: About Sonic's Bair, why not make it end sooner? Like DK's?

@Cytrs: It's fine. Almost all multi-hit moves are Easier to DI. Throws that kill? come on man, thats not cool. What wrong with pressure kills? It's all about following DI, if you miss then too bad.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
It doesnt need to have the same exact speed.
The -2 startup and lower ending lag should be fine. B
Bair walls-o-doom?

Yingyay

Smash Ace
It will let him space more, just like you said.
But his priority would still be an issue.
nair is a decent size it think, its not something you should approach with, its better as a aerial finisher.

Cytrs

Smash Apprentice
i dont have troubles killing really because of combos. it would just be nice to have a throw with mewtwo-esque powah. it would be epic.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
that kinda wouldnt be fair lol
Someone as fast as sonic with a killing throw.....

Cytrs

Smash Apprentice
i know lol.

the ic's have a killing throw, though...
come on. just a bkb nerf and <b>MASSIVE</b> kbg buff. sonic would be top tier for sure. it would kill TL at 130% without di.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Don't forget Falcon's Dthrow Knee. Honestly, I wouldn't even mind giving Charizard a killing throw so long as he still needed the help.

I never have trouble killing with Sonic's disjointed Fsmash. I've found there are a lot more ways to set up for it now. Other then that, most my kills are from gimps and edgeguards.

Bair is really only showing itself helpful in combos and a few edgeguards. I really think if we sped up either its cooldown or startup, he still wouldn't be able to space with it even if he wanted to. Unless we make it like Diddy or Wolf's Bair, which we probably don't want, I don't think it needs any minor changes. It already has no landing lag anyways.

I thought it would be cool at first if Nair had a bigger hitbox just like the games, then of course toning down its power, but yeah like yingyay said its more of a slight finisher rather then an approach. Other approaches would probably still have better reward, like his disjointed Uair. I still think the Usmash spike should be his definitive anti-air reward, takes prediction because of its slow start-up time but is worth using if your opponent keeps throwing their aerials, in which most characters have aerials that Sonic doesn't have much answer to.

There are a lot of new situations Sonic has to adapt to now. I doubt he'll propel himself in the ranks as other characters pick up too. I predict hes only going to get tougher to use, but I do think hes viable.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
So... Sonic may not be no where near the best but he's viable?... Thats an interesting way to put it. <.<;

Blank, if you tried the Bair -2 frames start up you would change your mind. I have already tested it and its golden.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
So... Sonic may not be no where near the best but he's viable?... Thats an interesting way to put it. <.<;

Blank, if you tried the Bair -2 frames start up you would change your mind. I have already tested it and its golden.
There will always be a tier list, SOMEONE has to be at the bottom. Not that I'm saying it'll be Sonic, just saying.

It may be cool, I just don't think it'd make much a difference.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Every little thing will make a difference. Also, Bowsers UpB can go through anything Sonic has. Even after the SA is gone, he beat my Dair SS, my Fsmash, and Dsmash.. @_@

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for correcting me. How many frames does it have good sir? Oh, and sorry for not knowing, no one has played Bowser up until this point.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
I found it: Invincible frames 1 – 5

Also, I am not sure why I have not posted this yet.

Bair -2 Frames Startup (shanus)
2F038064 3F800000
2F008064 40400000

Shanus distributed this code in the IRC about a month ago, since I'm rooting for this to be put in the beta and hopefully the final I might as well post it up.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'm arguing for Sonic's upsmash spike to be put back in. It should have more ending lag than we had originally (what was I thinking? Jab resets on missed techs?!?! Bad idea)

Top Bottom