• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Bite is top tier...

On wi-fi >_>

Offline, it's pretty punishable. Remember, angling your fsmash up hits a biting Wario.

I have this really weird tactic that nobody uses for matches like this. I basically turn Sonic into some sort of fortress by simply standing still. Timing up tilts is important, but it's mostly reacting to the opponent and then punishing. I do it a lot of wi-fi, as much as it fails.

This is one of the only match ups that you have to play defensively. Spacing retreating Boxobairs is good, generally play as safe as possible.

Wario's fsmash is broken >_>

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Hmmm, I wonder if there is some method other than your opponent hanging off the edge that could force an air release. primarily because on most of he cast Sonic can actually chase them down and Fair them before they land (a few characters exempted of course).
It would also mean if we actually manage to grab Wario we'd get a free kill move on him.

Okay everyone halt all Sonic research and start researching grab releases!

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
60:40 sonic if ur malcolm

65:35 wario if u have no idea how to play against him or how stupidly basic he is.

(To be completely honest...I dont think the rest of us besides espy have to worry about wario. Espy's very ban happy region have created the perfect circumstances for wario to arise. They have NO DDD's due to the intense metaknight outbreak and their TO bans grab releases. This is why all the wario players come from texas....and dont travel lmao.)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
D3s grab releases aren't banned... nor are his CGs... the only thing limited is infinite grabs (such as ICs). Do research before you start spouting ****.

And there's only two Warios here with any small semblance of success... so I don't know what you're smoking.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
loooooooooooooool. hobo definitely doesnt allow grab releases....and any other texas tourney really isnt worth mentioning since ur whole state is basically run by 1 TO.

aka u guys have mad videos up...and the only grab release ive seen is vs meta. either theres a giant WARIO RESPECT CLAUSE or BS.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Nah...im tired of ****** NJ. Im going to MD/VA to try my luck out against the real "pros"! U should go to inuis tho....bum is going. so u can get that epic DK practice....and try to educate these ppl on the matchup.

I think ZSS is grey and G&W is black.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
he has been gettin maaaaaaaaaaaaad sonic practice. i played him the past 2 weekends lol. and last weekend we did a set best out of 9 jus for fun lmao. BUT U GOT THIS SHADOWLINK! Break out the miiiiiiiindgaaaaaaaamez

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

Better?

Edit: Wait, ignore this version. I've just finished reading the discussions. Marth was 30:70 to 35:65 and G&W and Meta Knight where agreed around the same range. So they are all red.

Maybe we should make it clear what ratio black is :/

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Marth was agreed 35:65.
As were G&W and MK.
They're all red.

Pikachu was decided neutral. No idea why Greenstreet put it down as a disadvantage.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
loooooooooooooool. hobo definitely doesnt allow grab releases....and any other texas tourney really isnt worth mentioning since ur whole state is basically run by 1 TO.

aka u guys have mad videos up...and the only grab release ive seen is vs meta. either theres a giant WARIO RESPECT CLAUSE or BS.
Is that so? I guess I'll have to tell the people at HOBOs to stop grab releasing me, and I should tell them that RoyR is disqualified for grab releasing DMG every other move... oh wait, it's legal.

And I also guess Final Smash 5 is not worth mentioning, despite getting people from two other states and possibly eve Mexico to attend.

Ignorance is highly amusing.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Is that so? I guess I'll have to tell the people at HOBOs to stop grab releasing me, and I should tell them that RoyR is disqualified for grab releasing DMG every other move... oh wait, it's legal.

And I also guess Final Smash 5 is not worth mentioning, despite getting people from two other states and possibly eve Mexico to attend.

Ignorance is highly amusing.
I'm glad you quoted Malcom, Phantom.

**** Malcom, and I had a sort of neutral respect for you.
Not anymore. Not after that crap you posted. Maybe next time you should look up something before you make yourself look like a **** fool.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Make MK, Marth and GaW dark red. I'd like that. Also, why is Yoshi red. He got nuthing on Sonic except eggs and aerial movement and aerials. Make him neutral (55:45 Yoshi)

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
After reading all of those complete overexaggerations (especially since ive watch the whole roy r vs dmg set) I am going to ask you these questions....

U believe the fact that only texas or some unknown region has any notable wario players is a coincidence?

U think that having one big tourney with OOS (2 states lol) attendance proves me wrong about 1 TO running ur whole giant state?

U dont think the over abundance of metaknight (one of the few who cant grab release wario) and the lack of DDDs (the hugest wario counter ever concieved) because he is so violently ***** by the tornado have anything to do with texas having any warios doing well?

U r in wario heaven. Realize that and be happy about it....but dont paint this picture where u guys are facing it horribly.

and back to the sonic vs wario matchup....its not bad @ all u guys r going to have to learn it tho. i would tell u but im going wario against any sonic mains i face so it would b very counter productive.

TL;DR I was wrong about the grab releases. I however was not wrong about anything else and exaggerating is not the best way to prove a point.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Make MK, Marth and GaW dark red. I'd like that. Also, why is Yoshi red. He got nuthing on Sonic except eggs and aerial movement and aerials not to mention a disgusting pivot grab and a grab release CG. Make him neutral (55:45 Yoshi)
hmmm after re-reading that it doesnt seem to make as much sense lmao.

lol...and i had some sort of respect for u 2 until i saw u lose to that guys wario. (look malcolm can make insulting remarks 2)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
There are small tournaments all the time. You distinctly talked about large tournaments. Large tournaments in a place that's as big as 15 New Jerseys are considerably more difficult to arrange and host. Futile was not from Texas btw, and neither are Tink or hunger or Reflex. If this really was "Wario heaven" as you put it, there would be more than THREE Texas Wario tournament players (one who doesn't place very high usually), haha.

I guess now you're just flame-baiting though, so I'll drop it at that. If you guys need any more Wario input, don't ask me, you can adhere to Malcom's (more like LeeHarris Jr.) "sage" advice.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There are small tournaments all the time. You distinctly talked about large tournaments. Large tournaments in a place that's as big as 15 New Jerseys are considerably more difficult to arrange and host.
As true as this is, it made me lol like a giddy school-boy.
I swear, Texas' massive size never ceases to make me laugh.

How many Rhode Islands are we then? XD

If you guys need any more Wario input, don't ask me, you can adhere to Malcom's (more like LeeHarris Jr.) "sage" advice.
Ooh.

Does DMG have a good quantity of Sonic practice, or any ideas on how Wario should be approached by someone like Sonic?

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Reflex is the most recent and goes to grand finals with captain falcon in his region that should say something about his region. I asked u about GOOD regions with wario players. Afro thunder is the only one i can think of and he wins or loses his matches based on if his Down-B hits.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Reflex is the most recent and goes to grand finals with captain falcon in his region that should say something about his region. I asked u about GOOD regions with wario players. Afro thunder is the only one i can think of and he wins or loses his matches based on if his Down-B hits.
Most recent? Now I KNOW you have no idea what you're talking about. He played Mew2King in both Winner's Finals AND Grand Finals at Fast1 FOUR MONTHS ago.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
lol? his accomplishments are around the same time as futile and tink...yet u sited them as "wario gods" lmao. and he is the only wario player still getting vids up...wether it b captain falcon or not. so now you KNOW that what i said was 100% right since his cf vids came out less than 3 weeks ago and the last notable wario b4 that was afro thunder of months ago. DMG vs royr is months old as well. i didnt say he was playing wario in those vids....cause apparently he doesnt want 2 or need 2. thats his business.

face it man...wario players arent doing anything. this argument is going nowhere. sonic players are winning more tournaments than wario right now. that should tell u something.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
After reading all of those complete overexaggerations (especially since ive watch the whole roy r vs dmg set) I am going to ask you these questions....

U believe the fact that only texas or some unknown region has any notable wario players is a coincidence?
Futile, Fiction, Reflex. They are all very good Wario's in "known" regions

dont u think the over abundance of metaknight (one of the few who cant grab release wario) and the lack of DDDs (the hugest wario counter ever concieved) because he is so violently ***** by the tornado have anything to do with texas having any warios doing well?
Texas doesn't have very many Dedede's and the ones that I do play against I beat. It has nothing to do with MK, more like there just aren't any Dedede players except maybe 2.

Also, at HOBO 11 we had some good OOS players come in and play (Not just the regular Texas players). I got 4th place there, the highest placer for Texas and higher than DSF got. I proved there that I wasn't doing good just because Dedede doesn't run rampant or just because Texas is a MK fest. I place well and do well because I am a good player.

Now as for Wario vs Sonic, 60:40 or 65:35 at the very best, Wario really doesn't have that big of an advantage.

Top Bottom