• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Opponent's shields are becoming a problem. It's hard to pressure shields.
Grab > Shield
Sonic's grab is so good. Just grab everyone all the time every time. It's so good.

Unless BT is specifically referring to Fire Spin Dash in regards to shield being a problem, because it is god awful against shield. Not worth it for me.

I almost went to Nebulous but... I think I'll start going more for Wii U version. Nebulous isn't the best venue and the venue fee is weird. It's better than the 10 it used to be but... 7? What? It's a cramped venue and I'm paying more than 5 bucks to be there.
How widespread are custom moves legal again? I've only heard a few states legalized it while a few more are just experimenting.
In NY, I heard that we're one of the few places allowing customs and doing 2 stock. idk how true that is but apparently the majority are no customs and 3 stock. 2 stock feels so right for this game though. I'd be more interested in customs if Sonic's weren't trash, so for now I'm just kinda coping with them.

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Texas is allowing customs. It's k, but I'll probably be playing default Sonic. :applejack:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Grab > Shield
The only really good custom is instant down b.

Dude, just don't spam spindash. :sonic: has a lot more tools this go around (To name a few):
  • :sonic: can spindash into people without jumping as a godlike mixup since they have to drop shield, turn around, and dash just to punish (Few can actually succeed in punishing this).
  • :sonic: can FH Fair to poke.
  • :sonic: can retreating SH Fair (Harder to do on a 3ds, but still a great tool).
  • :sonic: can bair wall.
  • :sonic: can dash up>Side b>Cancel into roll, shield, or spotdodge.
  • :sonic: can down b/side b and jump early to HA.

I think :sonic: always has an option if people start shielding a lot. Adapt XD. I have so many mixups it's crazy. I have crazy good reactions regardless tho lmao.

:018:
If this was the problem, I wouldn't have posted that. I guess I should be more clear in what I experienced.

The thing was at the last weekly I was in, I had a Kirby that just kept going near the ledge and just kept camping there. He kept short hopping out of shield and stuffing alot of Sonic's approaches. I tried to vary my spacing/mindgames but he just wasn't respecting it. I've noticed when people were fighting my Sonic, they would just sit in the corner and stay there. Also hard to escape pressure from opponent's but I'm getting better at it.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Sonic's grab is so good. Just grab everyone all the time every time. It's so good.

Unless BT is specifically referring to Fire Spin Dash in regards to shield being a problem, because it is god awful against shield. Not worth it for me.

I almost went to Nebulous but... I think I'll start going more for Wii U version. Nebulous isn't the best venue and the venue fee is weird. It's better than the 10 it used to be but... 7? What? It's a cramped venue and I'm paying more than 5 bucks to be there.

In NY, I heard that we're one of the few places allowing customs and doing 2 stock. idk how true that is but apparently the majority are no customs and 3 stock. 2 stock feels so right for this game though. I'd be more interested in customs if Sonic's weren't trash, so for now I'm just kinda coping with them.

Nah, not talking about that Spin Dash. Just in general really, always see someone retaliating after I hit their shield with anything at all. Went to another tourney in Queens and ditched that move entirely and was better off imo. Though I can see it useful in some matchups methinks. And yeah, grabbing a hell of alot more. Definitely one of our strongest assets. And some stuff is usually a pain in the butt to do on the 3DS x.x.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
If I see someone hugging the edge I will do a running turnaround grab and back throw them off the stage. At high percents It will kill. Its a good option.

Espy Your from Texas? Me too! Where you at? I m kinda midwest.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
If I see someone hugging the edge I will do a running turnaround grab and back throw them off the stage. At high percents It will kill. Its a good option.
I mostly resort to Usmash as the hop will avoid some recovery attacks and kills around 120%+.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
If this was the problem, I wouldn't have posted that. I guess I should be more clear in what I experienced.

The thing was at the last weekly I was in, I had a Kirby that just kept going near the ledge and just kept camping there. He kept short hopping out of shield and stuffing alot of Sonic's approaches. I tried to vary my spacing/mindgames but he just wasn't respecting it. I've noticed when people were fighting my Sonic, they would just sit in the corner and stay there. Also hard to escape pressure from opponent's but I'm getting better at it.
Can :kirby2: swallocide :sonic: from onstage? Doubt it.

Just jump over him and throw out aerials or don't approach at all. Pretty sure HA is safe on block too if you still want to go in. I'd like to see vids. Then I can provide proper critique.

:018:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Went to another tourney in Queens and ditched that move entirely and was better off imo. Though I can see it useful in some matchups methinks. And yeah, grabbing a hell of alot more. Definitely one of our strongest assets. And some stuff is usually a pain in the butt to do on the 3DS x.x.
Yeah man, Fire could be interesting against projectile heavy opponents, but it's just so so so bad on shield. I'll try to give it another shot in some match-ups.

Grabs are the way to go, man. I'm curious to see what things are easier on #basedwiiuversion
We'll at least have DACUS back, lol... Which will be great for us as Usmash is such a great KO move, just a little difficult to land. I think DACUS is really going to improve Sonic's game.
Agreed. I've done this a lot too.

Honestly, I go for grab whenever it's possible. It's just way too smart. It pisses people off because it makes them feel helpless, the range has been buffed, and Sonic can just so safely bait and punish things by running up in your face and grabbing, leading to more damage from tech chases and follow-ups. And the fact that I have kill moves out of it now? Damn, I'm just all about the #huglife.

Last edited:

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the range buff is really nice.

Question: I am wanting to look into a secondary for Sonic for those unfavorable matchups (mostly range and priority). I was looking at mostly Samus, Bowser, TL, Villager, and DH. Any suggestions?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385

Question: I am wanting to look into a secondary for Sonic for those unfavorable matchups (mostly range and priority). I was looking at mostly Samus, Bowser, TL, Villager, and DH. Any suggestions?
Anyone but Samus.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804

It's all about :jigglypuff:
Out of those listed though, Villager could probably offer the most coverage.

On another note, I have a replay of me against a DHD. He/she/it/potato was like 3/4 the distance of an omega stage away, and for some reason I HA'd. That hit it's can, which was even further away, and it shot off behind me right into him without bouncing, at quite a speed too. So accurate, I watch it when I'm feeling down and it excites me in ways I don't understand. I don't get that move.

Last edited:

Tesh

Smash Hero
so is fire spin dash just the yoshis island glitch from brawl?

i really dont like any of the other side b variations,

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
tl;dr of the entirety of Sonic boards recently.
Samus is bad.
Fire Spin Dash is bad.
Grab moar.
HA is weird.

That's the worst thing about HA now. I hate that it targets **** that can hurt and/or kill me. Also, it does way farther/weirder trajectories than it did in Brawl if its lock-on gets ****ed.
Edit: #HUGLIFE
###

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I haven't tried any of sonics custom moves.... Should I even consider it? Will the Wii U have customs or just import customs?

I fought a sonic mirror today. The guy was crazy (not in a good way). He was throwing out stuff all the time but not taking the time to consider what he was doing... He hit me a lot but never really had a gameplan to seal the deal. Interesting match.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I saw your vid vs. DL.
Ditch the fire spin. It's garbage. :applejack:
I played really bad that match. The dumb thing was that the matchup looked familiar to me, but nothing was the same as I've never played it in this game. When he did some kind of U-turn up B into me, I knew I had no idea what this character did anymore.

I'll be honest here, its looking like Megaman is my best character atm and I won all the sets I used him in. I feel like Sonic and Pac-Man are better characters though so I'm trying to learn what they can do.

What exactly is so bad about Fire Spin Dash? I know about the horrible thing that happens when it clashes or hits a shield, but tbh I kind of enjoy that drawback. It would feel pretty unfair to have all that power and speed without some risk of being caught. You can still jump into shields and you can pressure people with spindash so much harder with the mobility gained by not going into the air so much.

Fire SD -Jump- Uair into reverse ftilt is 6 hits on shield and a crossup that can be mixed up into a grab.

Another question, does Down B do anything in this game? It seems like whatever side B I pick just takes over down B so.....which one has a use? The vortex one is cool, but it seems like a windbox just makes things worse for myself in any situation i would charge spindash in...

True Blue

Smash Lord
YO! I'ma get some good videos of me using Fire Spin Dash. Idk. I like it here and there. But a lot of things in the game are usually very reliant on a persons play style.

But as for the secondary thing I would choose someone you are comfortable with for a projectile war. My Projectile war character is Lucario that I have definitely picked up as my Secondary. Especially since he has been on of my favorite pokes next to Jolteon anyways.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
By far my favorite thing to do against pac-man is to steal his third jump on the trampoline if he recovers low.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Ooooh Im diggin the pacman gimps. I never really thought about taking his trampoline away lol. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Watch out for it when its red however, near the end of its "red" phase, it causes anyone to drop through and go helpless. Not sure how this affects Sonic as he has no actual helpless animation. Assuming custom moves are a thing as well, the meteor trampoline spikes if you land on it near the end.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I haven't tried any of sonics custom moves.... Should I even consider it? Will the Wii U have customs or just import customs?
It'll have the same customs, but you can also import the ones you already have from 3DS onto Wii U (I think).

What exactly is so bad about Fire Spin Dash? I know about the horrible thing that happens when it clashes or hits a shield, but tbh I kind of enjoy that drawback.
Enjoying that drawback makes you a complete masochist.

Obviously if it eats through things, it's going to have more cooldown than normal, but it has an absolutely outrageous amount of god awful cooldown. It's just astronomically bad. Sure, jumping into shield avoids that, but now every time you Side-B you're just forecasting that you're going to jump into shield, because if you don't, holy **** you're screwed and they win without even trying.

Like, god forbid I'm on my last stock high percent and I clash with ANYTHING. ggwp

Again, it has beneficial uses but hot damn that cooldown is way past not cool(down).

OMG YOU CAN SPRING PAC-MAN'S PELLETS AND GIMP HIM ON HIS RECOVERY.
Pac's pellet itself is pretty weak. I drop that **** all the time when I play as him.

lol never really thought about Sonic not having a helpless animation. I want to see what he looks like now when he falls through the trampoline.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Well, I'm not the most competitive of sorts I guess, but it did suit me well against people that understood and people that didn't understand at times. The people I play with most are easier to grab, because they always want to shield or clash with me every time they hear that sound.

In any case, doesn't spindash forecast a jump anyway? Seems like I'm locked into it until I land in this game anyway.

My only gripe is that Down B is consumed by Side B in this game. Fire Spin would be at the top of everyone's list.

The power pellet isn't "weak". It has a hurtbox, which means things that can only hit once (most projectiles) are consumed. On stage, this actually allows pac-man to outcamp even strong projectile users by constantly creating food on his side of the field.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The power pellet isn't "weak". It has a hurtbox, which means things that can only hit once (most projectiles) are consumed. On stage, this actually allows pac-man to outcamp even strong projectile users by constantly creating food on his side of the field.
If the pellet summon was more rapid I could see that debate, but Pac just seems very unsafe during the entirety of making a trail. I play a lot of Pac and I've lost too many a challenge where I think Side-B is going to be enough. Most moves can go through the pellet and hit Pac.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Non-piercing projectiles are consumed by the first thing they hit. For Pacman, that means fruit/pellets being charged OR lying on the ground block these projectiles.

The key is just to side B right before the projectile would hit you then immediately chow down. This isn't as good vs more dynamic projectile users like Megaman or Toon Link, but for characters that may find themselves repeatedly shooting one linear but powerful projectile, its a good trick to know. I'm talking about Greninja, Lucario, the pits.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Right, I'm all about his fruit, just for the record. His fruits are godlike; it's just the Side-B that I get too risky with and I try to do intricate lines... Like, once Side-B is released, Pizza Pac is amazing with his super armor and everything, it's just that state where the line is being drawn and he's just smiling away, waiting to be hit. I'll work on my timing like you said though and try releasing it sooner. I'm probably being too ballsy.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Side B should never be used on its own unless its for recovery. You want to cover yourself with fruit or a hydrant for an approach. Hydrant+ Melon+ Pellet will cover the screen in hitboxes that kill and damage shields alot.

Learn to U turn with it and lift the pellet off of the ground so you dont get stuck on ledges.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
So I don't know about you guys, but I get people counter picking Sonic against my Sonic a lot. Last Sonic got killed from a grab release. He rage quit so hard. xD

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Side B should never be used on its own unless its for recovery. You want to cover yourself with fruit or a hydrant for an approach. Hydrant+ Melon+ Pellet will cover the screen in hitboxes that kill and damage shields alot.

Learn to U turn with it and lift the pellet off of the ground so you dont get stuck on ledges.
It's great for recovery on stages that have walls. It just rides right along it. I still like U-Turning pellet because it catches people off-guard, even if it's not safe on start-up. It has great KO power and super armor on release though... Worth the risk sometimes.

Hydrant seems terrible for certain match-ups. I never feel safe setting one out, as it seems like it's so easy to use against me. Characters like Ganon and da Bowz can send it flying with one hit.

I have yet to see anyone go Sonic against my Sonic. Most people just rage-cycle through all their secondaries and still lose.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Last rage quit I had was against a god awful little mac on for glory. After about the 7th or 8th ASC => footstool => SH => ASC in a row I felt kinda guilty so did a FH. Tried to side B me when I landed, I saw it coming from a mile off so spotdodged. He SD'd. I lol'd. He quit.

:054:

Top Bottom