• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think it's pretty fair to say that like, any Sonic game on Game Gear isn't worth playing.

:093:
I think Sonic 1, Chaos, and Triple Trouble are worth playing.
Sonic 2, only if you're confident in yourself (and by all means play the MS version, unless you also like hammering your foot and going out for a walk), and Sonic Blast is hard to like the first time.

Sonic 1 feels a lot like its Genesis counterpart, but the level design can be a bit blocky.
Chaos is just TOO EASY.
Triple Trouble is awesome. It grants Sonic the ability to curl after a spring. And the Special Stages are great. You get to beat Fang at the end. :D

I have a soft spot for all game gear games, except Labirinth and Spinball. I really don't like those. :/
This is why I like using Sonic's 8-Bit color pallette in SSB4 (orange shoes). :093:
---

So I'm finally cathing on on how beastly Sonic is in this game compared to Brawl.
Sure, it's harder to autocancel from a high jump, and I don't get to homing attack twice in a row before touching the ground.. but by god is he far superior now. He has actual KO power now!

Managed to beat a tough Rosalina player after accidentally SD early in the match.
I still need a C-Stick, not sure if Spinshotting is still in the game due to the lack of it.

Anyway, I think Sonic is going to end up being on my Top#2 most used.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I really like Sonic Boom. It's hilarious. Granted I'm also a fan of clean but clever humor.

Mike Pollock is a blessing as Eggman.

Episode 2 had me laughing out loud at some points.

"Sonic! You have to help me!"

"Why? He's your Obliteratorbot."

"Because if you don't I'm truly stuck living with you until I build a new island fortress."

"... Let's roll."

The delivery of that back and forth was special.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Deem Bristow:
; ;

Jim Cummings ; ;

Also, the scene where Robotnik is snoring and laughing diabolically in his sleep got me to laugh.

@Cama: Everything Sonic based sans Drift I & II, Tails' Adventure, Tails' Sky Patrol, and Sonic Labyrinth on the Game Gear were good. Hell, even the Drifts were decent. :applejack:

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I'd hope it's more like a Crash Bandicoot game. The design is by the same guys who did Crash Bandicoot. :applejack:
Then everything makes total sense lol. From stage/character design, to characters stretchy limb animations. This game is Crash Bandicoot in disguise. Before I realized I had to hold a certain button to actually run on the 3DS demo (which is beyond stupid), it felt just like a Crash Bandicoot game. Except that it was bogged down with a bunch of garbage gimmicks. I'll hold out hope the Wii-U version is playable, but I can't see how anyone can possibly enjoy the 3DS version. You're stuck awkwardly hitting buttons while holding in the run button, only to be forced to come to a complete stop to switch to another character or flick the touch screen to be flung to another poorly designed area. The game doesn't feel fluid at all. Not to mention the first stage alone takes like 7+ minutes to do. I just hope the frame rate issues aren't as bad as people are complaining about for the Wii-U co-op (is it even online co-op?). That's the only real selling point to me.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Yup the best scene was Robotnik snoring and laughing was so great. Sonic Boom is great.

Also the Knuckles Jr. That was pretty great too.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Yup the best scene was Robotnik snoring and laughing was so great. Sonic Boom is great.

Also the Knuckles Jr. That was pretty great too.
It was pretty awkward that the show doesn't really introduce any of the characters. They're just kind of there with no explanation. Laugh snoring was hilarious though.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
It was pretty awkward that the show doesn't really introduce any of the characters. They're just kind of there with no explanation. Laugh snoring was hilarious though.
That was something I didn't like either. Didn't even introduce Sticks. Where did she come from? Do I really have to buy the game (I will any way) to find out about her? Also the opening was pretty bad...Otherwise I liked it. Especially Sonic and Tails falling asleep.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think Sonic 1, Chaos, and Triple Trouble are worth playing.
Sonic 2, only if you're confident in yourself (and by all means play the MS version, unless you also like hammering your foot and going out for a walk), and Sonic Blast is hard to like the first time.

Sonic 1 feels a lot like its Genesis counterpart, but the level design can be a bit blocky.
Chaos is just TOO EASY.
Triple Trouble is awesome. It grants Sonic the ability to curl after a spring. And the Special Stages are great. You get to beat Fang at the end. :D

I have a soft spot for all game gear games, except Labirinth and Spinball. I really don't like those. :/
@Cama: Everything Sonic based sans Drift I & II, Tails' Adventure, Tails' Sky Patrol, and Sonic Labyrinth on the Game Gear were good. Hell, even the Drifts were decent. :applejack:
I just feel like based off these things alone, they're not for me. I tried them on the Gems (Mega? Can't remember) Collection and maybe they'd be pretty good if I hadn't already played all the original Sonics on Genesis. Like, if they sorta feel like Genesis but not, then it's just not worth it for me. I'd maybe try more specific ones like Triple Trouble and stuff again, but I didn't grow up with it or anything so I have a feeling I won't get into it.

I'm not saying they're like, ****, but I just don't have any appeal towards them.
Mike Pollock is a blessing as Eggman.
Yeah, he's fantastic. Great dude.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Don't get it. It's not going to be worth the $60. Wait for it to go to $20 in a few months. :applejack:
@Cama: Good. More Sonic for me.

OMG! Espy you killed me. My ears, I am in heaven now.
THE WHEEL OF SMASH IS TURNING.

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Wait, GP. You can't play Sonic. Go back to your gay swordsman. lol

And Sonic Boom, um well... Your English, so you probably won't get the humor. Idk lol just kidding.
But I just watched the second episode to it. It has its funny bits here and there, but I think to be honest what is going to keep me watching it is the fact I like the CGI for it. That is always what suckered me into a Sonic Game so my opinion is very biased. I just LOVE how they did Sonic's expressions. But I can't help but get that Garfield Esque feel everytime I see Amy. Like she reminds me to much of the lady from the Garfield Comics that was John's go to Vet. Really weird.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The animation itself is kinda clunky and stiff, but it does have a good look to it. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Gotta say I actually enjoyed the Sonic Boom episodes.

The voice acting is fitting, but I think the only questionable line was Sonic's delivery of "I can't swim". Jokes and everything are clearly geared to a younger audience, and the animation is a little rough, but the art and everything comes together well for an appealing look and ultimately, I approve. All things considered it does what it does well. Entertaining and made me chuckle. Definitely will continue to watch.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Hey, I object to the title of this thread! Suprise Attack is awesome.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Whoa! Played someone actually a bit better than me tonight. It's been a long time since someone actually put up a fight.

I use spin dash too much sometimes. This For Glory stuff is putting me in auto pilot lol.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
sooo apparently we are getting a balance patch for fighters sometime in November. Hopefully sonic isn't hit with the nerf hammer, though i donlt see that happening. But what are any fixes you'd like to see them make to sonic. Me personally i'm fine with getting grabbed out of up-b this time as we have the option to auto snap if we are facing the ledge, my ONLY thing i hope they fix is how he loses his doubke jump when performing an aerial spin dash and tries to jump. It just feels so unnatural that we just lose that ability unless we simply roll off the ledge with it.

Trent

Smash Champion
I don't see why Sonic would be nerfed, if anything they should make his customs better or something.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I guess if sonic is left alone that's fair too but i just find it annoying how they would leave that issue with his aerial spin attacks in the game as a way of balancing the character.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Rise of Lyric - Sonic 06-2. So bad its hillarious ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDCzoqhjP7M )
The Wii U game would need to be alot worse then the occasional terrible glitch to be another Sonic 06 :V

But yeah, I think I'm going to avoid the game. At best I've heard it's a pretty mediocre and repetitive action platformer. Maybe if I find it as a rental, I may give it a good try, but I don't think it's worth the $60 dollar pricetag. Especially with Smash 4 coming out.

At least the Show is keeping my interest a bit. But that's about all I can say I want to see more of from Sonic Boom.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
sooo apparently we are getting a balance patch for fighters sometime in November. Hopefully sonic isn't hit with the nerf hammer, though i donlt see that happening. But what are any fixes you'd like to see them make to sonic. Me personally i'm fine with getting grabbed out of up-b this time as we have the option to auto snap if we are facing the ledge, my ONLY thing i hope they fix is how he loses his doubke jump when performing an aerial spin dash and tries to jump. It just feels so unnatural that we just lose that ability unless we simply roll off the ledge with it.
This!

Shield canceling an air spin dash. Less landing lag on a low bair. The ability to short hop fast fall fair or nair safely. A bigger meteor range on his dair.

Ya I ask for a lot.

Last edited:

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
Not sure if anyone's said it (I'm too lazy to check) but the Sonic Boom show reminds me of the Looney Toons Show they had on CN for a while. I for one enjoyed Sonic Boom. It gave me a couple laughs here and there.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
2bad
my ONLY thing i hope they fix is how he loses his doubke jump when performing an aerial spin dash and tries to jump. It just feels so unnatural that we just lose that ability unless we simply roll off the ledge with it.
Yeah, primarily this. I can see the logic with almost all the other changes but I just don't get the way Spindash remembers double jump.

Although, even despite the new Up-B sweetspot, I still wish cypher grab wasn't a thing...
You know, I'm expecting nothing important and I believe I won't be let down.
^

True Blue

Smash Lord
Not sure if anyone's said it (I'm too lazy to check) but the Sonic Boom show reminds me of the Looney Toons Show they had on CN for a while. I for one enjoyed Sonic Boom. It gave me a couple laughs here and there.
YO! Exactly! I got the same vibe that Amy was like Lola from the show.

And I heard one of the nerfs was that Luma comes back after 13 or 17 seconds instead of the 7 or 8 seconds it takes for her to come back now.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Don't get it. It's not going to be worth the $60. Wait for it to go to $20 in a few months. :applejack:
Advice taken...I probably wouldn't get it anyway. Hurt too much by that time I bought an xbox360 solely for sonic 06...

And Sonic Boom, um well... Your English, so you probably won't get the humor. Idk lol just kidding.
>Implying I'm going to continue using that garbage character for another 6 years
Besides, I just won the UK's biggest smash4 tournament yet with pure sonic. I plan on sticking to this guy

Nope, All of Sonic's customs are bad...Well okay, thats a lie. They're not bad, but they're worse than his default moves. so there's no reason to use them!
A few of them could have been usable if it wasn't for dumb parts,
-Burying SpinDash would be a fun gimmick, but you sacrifice too much by removing the ability to roll with it.
-Flame SpinDash would be good if the down-b's jump height didnt get affected by it too (Such a dumb decision. I'm almost certain it's an oversight in the programming) AND if the rolls grounded cooldown wasn't so retardedly long on SD & SC with it selected.
-Spring Headbutt could be a nice choice if it didnt make the IASA on it so much later than regular. Not to mention if you happen to hit an opponent with the top of your head during it, you just drop like a rock. so silly.

I don't see why Sonic would be nerfed, if anything they should make his customs better or something.
I'd say sonic is one of the few characters more likely to be nerfed. The entire UK scene believes he's one of the top characters in the game right about now and I don't blame them, he's obscenely good at this point in the metagame.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
we can combo out of spring headbutt tho so it is somewht useful at low %. we can also do burning spin dash into jump uair spring headbutt into fair

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
YO! Exactly! I got the same vibe that Amy was like Lola from the show.

And I heard one of the nerfs was that Luma comes back after 13 or 17 seconds instead of the 7 or 8 seconds it takes for her to come back now.
Yeah exactly! And the episode of Sonic Boom where Eggman asks t stay at Sonic's place is exactly like an episode of Looney Toons Show where Daffy asks Bugs. And I think that nerf mas MUCH NEEDED.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I still prefer Surprise Attack for its amazing ability to actually hit the opponent most of the time.

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Yo and I just realized that you can still do a waterfall (Whatever it's called if it had a name) spindash off of a ledge. The one where you can Side B in the air and if you pull back slightly and let go and land on a floor and roll off a ledge you go straight down off of a ledge in spindash. But I didn't bother to see if it could be shield canceled like it could in Brawl.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yo and I just realized that you can still do a waterfall (Whatever it's called if it had a name) spindash off of a ledge. The one where you can Side B in the air and if you pull back slightly and let go and land on a floor and roll off a ledge you go straight down off of a ledge in spindash. But I didn't bother to see if it could be shield canceled like it could in Brawl.
That zero horizontal spin was one of the first things I did in Smash 4. :applejack:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Surprise attack is kind of nice for the accuracy and when it doesn't lock on, it goes up a little instead of down.

I prefer Fire Spin Dash because I like being close the ground and its a beastly punish to do 30 damage and keep them close enough to go for it again.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
That zero horizontal spin was one of the first things I did in Smash 4. :applejack:
Huh I've never tried this. How interesting. It's like maintaining air momentuma nd ground momentum separate. I swear sonics spin dashes have some of the weirdest attributes.

So when does this come in handy besides mix up and fake outs?

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
I never much tried to think about it cause I never took that many people to platform stages cause on the 3DS I can't handle platforms. Idk why, I just get stupid and can't go through them. lol

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rise of Lyric is literally the second coming of Sonic 06. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804

Insinuating we British folk have no humour. I'VE SEEN YOUR SITCOMS.

Whoa! Played someone actually a bit better than me tonight. It's been a long time since someone actually put up a fight.

I use spin dash too much sometimes. This For Glory stuff is putting me in auto pilot lol.
Play on stages with platforms. Leave your spins at the door.

@ Heartstring Heartstring I know I'm being annoying but is there much going on up northish atm? I know down south is mostly melee, plus it's too far to go when I don't drive. I know there's quite a few people in and around Leicester, and I wouldn't want to go a whole lot further then that, got responsibilities/work 6 days a week. I don't really ever go on FB, but I'll try and keep an eye out. Need as many people repping Sonic as possible.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Rise of Lyric is literally the second coming of Sonic 06. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
No, it'd have to be much, much, MUCH worse to be another Sonic 06. Anyone who thinks the Wii U game is just as or even worse then Sonic 06 should really be reminded just how bad Sonic 06 was. And I don't mean just the glitches.

Top Bottom