• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

True Blue

Smash Lord
Yea, I can't record anything. lol I have a lot of videos but none to capture with.

Also, cause we had a custom move tourney yesterday, was messing with Side B stuff and it seems whatever janky Side B you use the weird properties transfer with the Down B. Cause I used the Hammer Side B and was charging Down B and held back and made me stop in place.
But on even awesome news was that Fire Spin Side B can go through a lot of things. Went through an MK Drill/Tornado, went through Shiek Needles (Even fully charged). Went through Rob Laser fully charged, and since the custom itself makes you short hop automatically it was easier to jump over Gyro and land infront of Rob to grab or Jab him.
And even though when you hit an opponents shield and instantly get lagged and stop you can just Jump Cancel the lag before it happens and nair or fast fall grab or something. lol But those fire properties gave it a nice pow to go through a lot of things.
OH! It also eats up Diddy's Banana. You will destroy it and continue spinning through it.

TL;DR: I had fun with custom moves. lol

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Yea, I can't record anything. lol I have a lot of videos but none to capture with.

Also, cause we had a custom move tourney yesterday, was messing with Side B stuff and it seems whatever janky Side B you use the weird properties transfer with the Down B. Cause I used the Hammer Side B and was charging Down B and held back and made me stop in place.
But on even awesome news was that Fire Spin Side B can go through a lot of things. Went through an MK Drill/Tornado, went through Shiek Needles (Even fully charged). Went through Rob Laser fully charged, and since the custom itself makes you short hop automatically it was easier to jump over Gyro and land infront of Rob to grab or Jab him.
And even though when you hit an opponents shield and instantly get lagged and stop you can just Jump Cancel the lag before it happens and nair or fast fall grab or something. lol But those fire properties gave it a nice pow to go through a lot of things.
OH! It also eats up Diddy's Banana. You will destroy it and continue spinning through it.

TL;DR: I had fun with custom moves. lol
I guess I need to get this custom since I'm going to KTAR 11.

:018:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So Burning Spin Dash is going to encourage Poor approaches with direct SDRs?

Sounds like a good alternative.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace

I dunno, I think Burning Spin Dash would work well against newbs but would fail hard against good players.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Idk. It depends. I never played any scrubs with customs. They always asked me if we could play without. lol.
I think it is just something to get use to and adapt around and think of different options/approaches.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
You guys should definitely do an 8-way Sonic match with voice chat when the Wii U version comes out.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Went to another tourney today. Went all :sonic: in the matches I won except for one time when I went :falco: against a :lucario: (Won game 1 as :sonic: then switched to :falco: game 2). Got 2nd losing to :rosalina: yet again in swiss and GF lol. Tried :sonic:, :falco:, bowser:, and a ditto. The ditto was the closest I got @_@. I think she's :sonic:'s worst matchup by FAR!

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Went to another tourney today. Went all :sonic: in the matches I won except for one time when I went :falco: against a :lucario: (Won game 1 as :sonic: then switched to :falco: game 2). Got 2nd losing to :rosalina: yet again in swiss and GF lol. Tried :sonic:, :falco:, bowser:, and a ditto. The ditto was the closest I got @_@. I think she's :sonic:'s worst matchup by FAR!

Im still not seeing her being that bad for Sonic honestly, Sonic does have the tools to close the spacing really well and get in on Rosa

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
She's not that bad for Sonic honestly. People I play locally include DBR (yeah they are still around and messing with the game), Lucien, Nanerz, and many others. When I play against Rosaluma it is all about patience. Sonic is one of the match ups where she plays uncomfortably and makes mistakes. Although she has huge hit boxes on her aerials Sonic's fair can usually come out faster than they can. Spin Charge can get through both Luma and put some damage on Rosa.

-Fair is great against Rosa
-Mix up your approaches with Sonic. Confusing them will leave an opening for sure
-Down Smash is actually viable against her since it can split her from Luma
-All hail based Up Smash
-Grabs are off limits UNLESS you kill off Luma. Just don't do it you'll get punished

While I still believe :4sheik: is one of his hardest match ups if you try to aggro the heck out of Rosaluma you'll most likely get punished. So yeah I can see the match up being hard for some people.

Fun fact: I took Dabuz to game three on good ol AiB ladder recently but then again no one counts WiFI right?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
She's not that bad for Sonic honestly. People I play locally include DBR (yeah they are still around and messing with the game), Lucien, Nanerz, and many others. When I play against Rosaluma it is all about patience. Sonic is one of the match ups where she plays uncomfortably and makes mistakes. Although she has huge hit boxes on her aerials Sonic's fair can usually come out faster than they can. Spin Charge can get through both Luma and put some damage on Rosa.

-Fair is great against Rosa
-Mix up your approaches with Sonic. Confusing them will leave an opening for sure
-Down Smash is actually viable against her since it can split her from Luma
-All hail based Up Smash
-Grabs are off limits UNLESS you kill off Luma. Just don't do it you'll get punished

While I still believe :4sheik: is one of his hardest match ups if you try to aggro the heck out of Rosaluma you'll most likely get punished. So yeah I can see the match up being hard for some people.

Fun fact: I took Dabuz to game three on good ol AiB ladder recently but then again no one counts WiFI right?
Show me vids so I can learn pls. And how are you landing smash moves against :rosalina:? Is she standing still o_O. Side b hits :luma:, which gives :rosalina: time to shield and grab. Full charge down b goes through them both?

I don't think :sheik: is that difficult also. I just bait her and then grab to whatever. She can't reliably bouncing fish :sonic: and she isn't super hard to get in on. Dthrow>Stuff also does not true combo on :sonic:.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I'll see if I can give these replays to someone with a capture card. Otherwise it'll just end up being recorded off my phone and I doubt anyone wants to see that. From experience players don't even have time to react to Spin Charge due to the fact they are use to nothing getting past Luma. You only need a few seconds of charge to get through them both but yes a full Spin Charge is preferred. I haven't played a really aggressive Rosaluma yet so they give you plenty of time to set up.

Also I usually land Up smash on Rosaluma when they recover high or try to approach with Dair. Up Smash is personally my favorite kill move because people don't expect it to kill. Down Smash when they are trying to play on the edge. The hit box on Down Smash is actually a lot better than I thought. Barely land Forward Smash though but I might be able to know that I'm stutter stepping haha. Going to play Lucien some more (he's basically the Rosaluma that's beating everyone right now in NorCal) so I'll save more matches.

Only reason Sheik is difficulty to me is due to the way people play her out here. So much needles. One person literally just used Needles till I was around 150% every life then killed me. I just find her difficult to edge guard. How to kill Sheik >: Heck how to kill Ness

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'll see if I can give these replays to someone with a capture card. Otherwise it'll just end up being recorded off my phone and I doubt anyone wants to see that. From experience players don't even have time to react to Spin Charge due to the fact they are use to nothing getting past Luma. You only need a few seconds of charge to get through them both but yes a full Spin Charge is preferred. I haven't played a really aggressive Rosaluma yet so they give you plenty of time to set up.

Also I usually land Up smash on Rosaluma when they recover high or try to approach with Dair. Up Smash is personally my favorite kill move because people don't expect it to kill. Down Smash when they are trying to play on the edge. The hit box on Down Smash is actually a lot better than I thought. Barely land Forward Smash though but I might be able to know that I'm stutter stepping haha. Going to play Lucien some more (he's basically the Rosaluma that's beating everyone right now in NorCal) so I'll save more matches.

Only reason Sheik is difficulty to me is due to the way people play her out here. So much needles. One person literally just used Needles till I was around 150% every life then killed me. I just find her difficult to edge guard. How to kill Sheik >: Heck how to kill Ness
What good :rosalina: would approach with Dair O_O? Show me some vids man. I realized FH Fair is actually a decent tool in the matchup because it's harder for her to punish. I've been trying what you said and it is providing me some means of success. I just body luma and never grab (I love grabbing lol) unless luma is dead.

Needles are easy to get around. They have a specific distance and if she's firing them then you have time to homing attack.

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
The times I played against Xaltis' Rosa I didn't land smash moves except for an Up Smash that I extended by hitting Luma. But other than that I only killed because of Back Throws and Forward Throws and the Occasional falling Back Air. I will try and upload my sets somehow. But I know she is one of those characters you have to keep pressuring and you can not stop moving against. Once you hit her you need to MOVE cause more often than not Luma is still there waiting for you.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd contribute to this Rosaluma debate, but I only played one named Frozen who seems to not know Sonic that well, so I told him to talk to Seagull Joe to hear him ***** about why she wins, lol

Do we have a tournament results thread? That'd be a nice thing to catalogue.

I got a lot of sets in with a really good Villager, which is a match-up I previously knew nothing about... Side-B is not nearly as good as I wanted to think it was. On start-up it has no hitbox so you can just fair through it and hit Villager and make it out just fine.

The sheer amount of projectiles (like slingshot) are really frustrating though. And their recovery... God. I got so close to maybe gimping but it's so god damn difficult.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Even if you pop a balloon, Villager STILL gets good vertical height off the second one... It's insane. I popped one really low and I was like yeah, I definitely got it this time but NOPE.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Got 1st at the Nebulous NYC Smash 3DS weekly today going all Sonic. It was nice meeting Camalange today :D.

The legend begins XD.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Good job boys. :4villager: is just a bunch of mediocre projectiles. He/She's really slow and can't grab you, which makes his up close game worse by default.

12-2 on the ladder at the moment.
Got 1st at the Nebulous NYC Smash 3DS weekly today going all Sonic. It was nice meeting Camalange today :D.

The legend begins XD.
Is this the Blue that used to play brawl or some different dude? I only know of you because Shadofiend said that people always mistook him for you.

Last edited:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Good job boys. :4villager: is just a bunch of mediocre projectiles. He/She's really slow and can't grab you, which makes his up close game worse by default.

12-2 on the ladder at the moment.

Is this the Blue that used to play brawl or some different dude? I only know of you because Shadofiend said that people always mistook him for you.
I used to play Brawl for some time. I think I heard about something like that can't really remember.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I miss Shadofiend. I remember when he came to stay at my house for Genesis. Also congrats!

True Blue

Smash Lord
Oh yea a tourney thread should be good. Then I can post the two that happened here in SFL that I placed well in.
But they had an update for the 3DS, I think I am just gonna have to record these matches I have off of my phone or camera cause those matches might not work anymore if I update.
Blarg.
Does anyone know what the update is and what has been changed?

Edit: And Villager is on the same level of hatred that Wario is for me. I hate those two, being the most trolliest characters every... Let me twirl a fricken stick and send you to the fricken moon! UGH! lol

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Thanks! And word, I realized that later in friendlies. I got to play him a bunch after and realized that I was letting myself get zoned by things that Sonic can challenge and challenged things I shouldn't have... Oh well, blew it in the set but definitely learned my way around it much more cleanly for future, and that was the whole point of going as I don't get good match-up experience on For Glory...
I miss Shadofiend.
Yeah, where's that faker hiding? I have one less person to troll these days :'(
Oh yea a tourney thread should be good. Then I can post the two that happened here in SFL that I placed well in.
I suggested to Phoenix that maybe a video thread could double as a tournament results thread? Might be smart to have people's rankings and videos altogether in one place for people to reference.
But they had an update for the 3DS, I think I am just gonna have to record these matches I have off of my phone or camera cause those matches might not work anymore if I update.
Blarg.
Does anyone know what the update is and what has been changed?
I keep hearing about this and I don't think anyone actually knows yet what the updated entailed.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I've been getting a bit of use off of replay channel recently, watching Sonic's 1v1. I've seen some incredible players, last match I watched I saw a Sonic get 0 -> spiked by a DK. A ****ing DONKEY KONG. It's a bit like mainlining heroin. It's good to start with, but too much at once and you're going blind.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I think I'll go make that tournament results thread in a bit. So if people have entered a tournament and have the results/challonge bracket make sure to get them ready.

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Hey everyone. Glad to see some of the old names like Infzy, Camalange, ROOOOY!, PhoenixDark, KC24, and Espy still around. Big hit of nostalgia. I'll be getting out to some tourneys soon, likely during fall/winter breaks. I'm a teacher now, so I stay pretty busy. Hope to play with some of you soon!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

True Blue

Smash Lord
YO! Windy Hill would be awesome. A lot of people going to die from that Windmill since it cycles off stage into the blast zone. lol
Time to go back and play some lost worlds.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Can I ask a serious question, how can people even play at high level on a 3ds....the control scheme and screen size just dont work for me. ._.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Idk. I feel comfortable cause I play games constantly on my 3DS, one being Kid Icarus Uprising which required a bunch of Sporadic movements on the 3DS on single and multiplayer mode. It is probably one of those things to just get use to and treat it almost like a new a game.

infomon

Smash Scientist
The 3ds controls are fine to me mostly, except my control-stick smashed off so now it's just a sharp awkward stick, so my thumb developed a huge blister which was kinda painful to play but now it's got a big meaty callus so it's ok now, I just have to take a short break every few matches.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I've adapted quite well to the 3DS, sans quick smash attacks and precise dash inputs.

How does everyone go through their circle pads so easily? It doesn't require that much force.

Top Bottom