• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic: Official Character Discussion

Revven

FrankerZ
Let's stop being lazy and fix Sonic's Dsmash. Get rid of the mega speed-up it has and instead buff it in KBG. Yes, Blank and DS both like the Dsmash speed-up but is is quite too fast and while it makes the move more practical, if it killed earlier than Fsmash did but took more skill to land, it would be far more rewarding and add depth to some degree for Sonic to land that Dsmash. Unless ya'll wanna add 1.05x startup to it + KBG buff.

It's just too fast and safe on shield.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I've said time and time again that we should simply add more ending lag to it to make it less spammable. Giving more KB to d-smash would only make it act like another f-smash. With their default stats, d-smash is only 1 frame faster than f-smash, yet f-smash has more range (both vertically and horizontally), more disjointed ness, a lower launch angle, higher knockback, and much, much less ending lag. More KB isn't going to make dsmash any more appealing, as it would just be competing with f-smash which is superior in so many ways. D-smash's advantages should simply be speed and duration. It should not try to compete with f-smash, but simply be good in areas that f-smash is not.

I have also always said that the speedup was a tad bit overdone, and that while it should be fast it shouldn't be MK fast. 10-12 frames would be fine for it, and even with that small speedup I'd still want more ending lag on it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'm no sonic expert, but the dsmash is a great spot dodge punisher and is something I get caught up in a lot. If we make the kb more powerful for at least the weaker hits, then it would be even more scary to spot dodge against which would make this move pretty effective. This is something the fsmash can't do.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
D-smash coming out faster would make it BETTER at punishing spotodges as you could just hit with the strong hit after the spotdodge instead. Making the weaker hits strong would kinda defeat the purpose of the strong hit too... It's a decent buff, but no where near as useful as it just being fast enough to act as a direct punishment option.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
So Sonic had two votes for bottom 10, but we were already working on him anyways. For some reason work died down but now is as good a time as ever to start thinking out specifics. Heres a quote from iSpin I'll be using for reference:

Okay, for the sake of organization AGAIN I will post a new more highly refined list for this discussion. I have added links to posts regarding to these topics and will be updated when a post is important enough for the discussion. I kinda rushed a few of the links and some of them just didn't need links for discussion.

Okay, guess I'll bust out my colors for this one.

Decided Ratio, Working Ratio, No Agreement Made, Died

Coded
-Bair [goodoldganon]
(-4) frames of Bair on startup.
2F098064 3F800000
2F008064 3FA66666

-Down B [iSpiN][[Team Giza]
Larger Hitbox
Initial hop(1.25x)
2F053646 0004611E
05364600 00460000
FFFFFFFF 3FA00000

Spindash Roll (1.25x)

2F072E32 0004611E
072E3200 00460000
FFFFFFFF 3FA00000

ASC [first hitbox] (1.25x)
2F044641 0004611E
04464100 00460000
FFFFFFFF 3FA00000

ASC [multihits] (1.25x)
2F0A4646 0004611E
0A464600 00460000
FFFFFFFF 3FA00000

spindash jump (2x)
2F07493C 00169122
07493C00 01690000
FFFFFFFF 40000000

Side B charge jump (1.5x)

2F07493C 00169122
07493C00 01690000
FFFFFFFF 3FC00000

Ready to be Coded

-Spring
Make it last 45 Seconds

Things that still need more work.
-BBC (Blue Ball Canceling)(working title) [Dark Sonic]
New Tech

-Usmash [Dark Sonic][GHNeko][Blank Mauser]
Tech Chasing Usmash Spike (Yet to be decided of the properties.

-Nair [CCL][Tatsuman][GHNeko]
More KB and Damage/Less Landing Lag (Currently 7)

-Uair [GHNeko][Blank Mauser]
Make it less DIable (May or May not be possible to code.)

-Dair

Increase BKB (More Shieldstun)

-Homing Attack[Team Giza]
A lot less Ending Lag
2F0081D4 40C00000

Things We Won't Add
-Fair
Less landing frames (Pikachu Fair)

-Fair
Less KnockBack (so it can combo)

-Utilt
Make it spike.

-Down B/Side B
Increased Momentum

-Dtilt
Less End Lag, specifically for floaties.

-Ftilt
More KB or something

-Down B
Increased KB (Rollout Spin Charge)

Ideas that will NEVER happen
-Nair
Giving it invincible frames

-Homing Attack
Simple, make the HA spike.

-Dair
Simple, make it spike.

-Down B/Side B
Create a hitbox surrounding Sonic as he charges.

-Homing Attack

Make it more accurate.

This will give us more of an idea of what we are discussing, what needs to be discussed, and what we have already covered. Its basically a checklist/a resource all at the same time. If I'm missing something just tell me.

Frame Data for the Back Room:

-Bair
OLD FRAME DATA
Hitbox comes out on: 13
Duration: 13-16
Ends:Frame: 37

NEW FRAME DATA
Hitbox comes out on: 9
Duration: 9-12
Ends Frame: 33

Cosmetics
-Sparkle Sparkle Homing Attack
2F0081D0 40600000
Notes:

-Bair and Down-B are both ready.

-Spring timer needs to be extended. To my knowledge it would probably be harder to extend the timer then to completely remove it, but we'll have someone more knowledgeable elaborate on that.

-BBC is canceling the turnaround animation of Sonic's spindash with shield. Not sure if its possible.

Okay the meat of the work:

The tech chasing Usmash spike. First of all the direction of the spike. I think more people are for it spiking slightly behind rather then in front. DI and stage teching will negate any of its uses as an edgeguard anyways.

Theres been talk that its too easy to DI out of before the spike. There are a few potential fixes. You could edit every single hitbox to get rid of KB on them all, or you could speed up the move entirely starting on the frames of the hitboxes. I think speeding it up would be more plausible, and really the amount of damage you could do with a techchase setup is way more then the damage Usmash does alone. After that, only a few hitboxes would probably need to be altered just to ensure it works. If the second to last or even 3rd to last hitbox spiked as well it would probably still leave enough time for Sonic to follow-up.

Sonic's Nair has 3 hitboxes. The first could stand to kill better while the later ones could stand to combo better.

By switching BKB and KBG on Sonic's first Uair we could potentially make it link better. I'll probably look into this myself.

Just posting this here to get clarification, and to see if Giza or someone else was working on these. If no one else is, I believe hitbox data for most moves is on the Sonic thread. I'm still missing Sonic Usmash hitbox data though. I'll probably get started on doing the rest of these after my weekend. Post thoughts and feedback please.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Sonic in Brawl+

I for one believe that Sonic has alot of room for improvement in brawl+. I was talking to Xzax about it and this is what he said:

First off, Sonic is bad, he doesn't have great kill moves, his combos are just awful, and they took away this from him. Before in the early stage of Brawlplusrey, Sonic had combos that set his opponents up for gimps, he had 50%+ combos, and even could kill earlier. They nerfed his up-air, which makes u-throw to spring not work all the time, which is his BEST kill move. They made his fair super fast, so now combos such as F-throw to double fair don't work which makes him not gimp people. The way the made the fair faster makes him combo less....which also defeats the purpose of this game. This game should have combos, and instead they took a character such as Sonic, who they orginally gave some decent combos too, and destoryed it. Hopefully they will either make his fair like it was in brawl, make his up-smash a kill move or spike so he can tech chase(his best quality in the game), and never change his d-smash because it works. His up-air shouldn't give out sometimes, thats just stupid.

Sonic doesn't have kill moves, and his combos aren't that impressive. I wouldn't know about earlier versions since I don't have a wii and I'm lazy right now.

This is directly from him and his opinions. I just wanted to see your thoughts. No flames please lol.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Lulz, you don't have to worry about flames in the WBR, we're pretty civil here.

With that said, though, you should have used the existing thread, here.

I'll leave my reply there.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
@Yes!

Straight from the change list:

Move Adjustments (BKB=Base Knockback, KBG=Knockback Growth):
-Aerial Landing Lag Reduction set to 50%
-D smash sped up by 250% from startup until charge frame, increased cooldown (endlag slowed down 50% on frame 19)
-D throw sped up 130%
-Nair changes
-Hitbox 1: 11 dmg, 80 KBG, 30 BKB, angle 20 (KBG increased by 5 to 85, BKBincreased to 50 from 30)
-Hitbox 2: BKB increased by 10 (30 from 20)
-Hitbox 3: unchanged
-U smash reduced cooldown (sped up 200% for the last 16 frames)
-U tilt cooldown sped up 175%

No direct changes to Fair or Uair. I'm guessing he's talking about his momentum, then. He can counteract this fully by shielding and then jumping, or mostly by just holding backwards out of a running jump. Dark Sonic and others are still working on touching Sonic up, I believe, so don't worry if he isn't quite at the desired "high-tier" equivalency yet.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
F-throw to fair was never a combo to begin with <_< (learn to DI much?).

As for kill moves, f-smash is more than powerful enough, and is safe on block with ridiculous range and a decent disjoint. His combos aren't impressive, but neither are the combos done to him. Me and Blank were planning on speeding up bair as well, and nair got a knockback buff (enough to put opponents off stage, and it's not too hard to combo into). Upsmash spike may make a comeback too, which will solve any killing problems Sonic has :p.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
lol sry I'm not all with it today...or recently. I've been studying 12 hours a day for my GRE's next week >.<

shanus

Smash Hero
Have you seen vids of DarkSonic's sonic? Then watch vids of Xzax.

lol

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I wanted to work on these changes, but I can't find ID's or Giza. Also, a new engine is coming so I was holding off for that.

Other then that, anyone have the old Usmash spike data so I can toy with it?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Alright, a few early changes I've been trying.

Hitbox Mod Data

-Last hit of Usmash: 25 KBG from 153. 90 BKB from 70. Angle 270 from 75.
-First hit of Uair 5KBG from 100. 50BKB from 0.
-First hitbox of Nair 100KBG from 80.
-2nd and 3rd hitbox of Nair 20KBG, 60BKB from 20, angle 85.
Code:
2F039946 0004B032
03195A00 010E0000
FFFFFFFF 3F800000
2F036400 00064033
03053200 00640000
FFFFFFFF 3F800000
2F0B501E 00169033
0B641E00 01690000
FFFFFFFF 3F800000
2F085514 00169033
08143C00 00550000
FFFFFFFF 3F800000
2F055A14 00169033
08143C00 00550000
FFFFFFFF 3F800000
-Frame Speed for Usmash 2x at frame 19, 3x at frame 32.
Code:
2F200032 40400000
2F0D0032 40000000
Dark_Sonic might want to help me fine tune them when he gets back. I think Usmash might need a bit of work, and also considering lowering overall damage because of its combo options.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I think it would be best to start over from scratch... I'll put in my two cents and recommendations about Sonic by tonight.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'd like to request that WBR let those who work on Sonic in WBR let their changes fall through simply for testing purposes in future builds.

Like really.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
This late in the game and you guys think it's wise to start Sonic over? I don't think any character should be 'started over' this late in the process. We have some gameplay tweaks planned but it applies to everyone so those shouldn't require massive retooling. I don't enough about Sonic and the guy I play with that likes Sonic has moved onto to other characters so my experience with him is limited. He still seemed decent though.

To each his own.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The reason though is the base of which Sonic is built upon isnt even finalized. The platform is weak and it forces Sonic to suffer as a whole. We've only added some-what decent **** on top of that weak *** platform really.

This late in the game? I think we're barely even there. I saw that because we're still tweaking engine/mechanics in the game. It's never too late to make a character right.

All I ask for now is support from the WBR members when it comes to Sonic.

I mean when it comes down to it, it's either we continue building Sonic off of bad choices, outdated codes, and a conflicted base of mainers, or we start over with all that **** weeded out so we can not **** this up.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Starting over from scratch? Honestly we never had a strong foundation for Sonic in the first place, this is more like finally gaining our bearings.

Anyways, the pac I posted has the following changes based on the 9-14 pac.

-Down-B/Side-B
Spin-jump hitboxes now come out frame 1 rather then frame 6.
Invincibility on side-B lasts 14 frames instead of 6.

-Nair
Invincibility from frame 4-11
Hitbox size 12 from 9
Graphic added to match hitbox change

-Usmash (All hitboxes)
SDI Multiplier .1 from .6

-Usmash (Last hitbox)
Angle 265 from from 75

-Dsmash 1-4
KBG 70 from 100, BKB 60 from 40

-Dsmash 5-6
KBG 70 from 100, BKB 55 from 35

Dsmash 7-8
KBG 70 from 100, BKB 50 from 30

-Homing Attack
Now comes out instantly with fixed trajectory
Can now be canceled into Down-B or Side-B upon impact
Other things that shouldn't be listed are frame speed changes on Usmash, and maybe a few other moves like Dthrow, Dsmash and Utilt. I haven't looked up the changes from the 9-14 pac but since we're starting with a new pac doesn't seem worth it.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Pretty much working with the Sonic mains helped me get the type of problems (and solutions) that Sonic needs to be balanced in this game. They weren't OMGWTFBROKEN!!! type of negative comments that I got (despite the constant trolling I had to put down in the thread before we started work on the PSA), and we progressed very slowly and made changes based on the inputs of both Sonic mains and non-Sonic mains.

Sonic based off of GSH1 11/23 FitSonic

Usmash:
- Raised SDI multipler +0.2x for each move except last hit
- last hit dmg 3, KBG 185, BKB 61
Nair:
- first hit of nair has invincibility frames and size increase to 7
- second hit of nair has invincibility frames, and size increase to 4
- third hit of nair has no invincibility frames, no size increase
Dair:
- has an autocancel at frame 77 (RA-Bit 0 and 30 = false)
Fsmash:
- put in a frame speed modifier to speed up startup lag by 1.3x (10 frames instead of 13)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I don't know if those dair and fsmash changes are too good of an idea. It's taking the obvious downsides of the otherwise good moves and just removing it. Sonic's fsmash already isn't a bad move, and it's somewhat fast as it is esp for its not too bad range and power, but removing more startup lag from it isnt the way to go imo. The move seems pretty balanced to me. I would perhaps try speeding up his tilts instead.

How many invincibility frames would nair have all together? I think it shouldn't have more than a couple as being able to spam an aerial that has invinci frames could be... well, not the change were looking for. We can't overpower some things too much compared to other moves. It would be neat to have the change make sense sonic wise, give it a frame or two of invincibility on the first hitbox, and during those frames add a graphic effect that looks like the insta-shield from sonic 3, and also increase the hitbox on those same frames to more match the insta shield anim.

To balance out the increased size of the hitbox coupled with invinci frames, would it be possible to add a lil additional landing lag only if sonic lands on the ground during those frames, and keep landing lag on all other parts the same?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
You could make it have large landing lag early on and autocancel later... but that's about it, chibo.

I'm glad you removed the invinc on the second hitbox already (you should probably update the stuff here bio), but invinc nair still... bugs me. If it's only for a couple frames, I guess it's fine, but... meh.

And I really don't think sonic needs a faster fsmash.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I don't know if those dair and fsmash changes are too good of an idea. It's taking the obvious downsides of the otherwise good moves and just removing it. Sonic's fsmash already isn't a bad move, and it's somewhat fast as it is esp for its not too bad range and power, but removing more startup lag from it isnt the way to go imo. The move seems pretty balanced to me. I would perhaps try speeding up his tilts instead.
Dair can already be predicted, plus it's not really an IASA like I used to have it, and the autocancel is at frame 77. Fsmash comes out on frame 18, and has weaker KBG than other Fsmash's.

How many invincibility frames would nair have all together? I think it shouldn't have more than a couple as being able to spam an aerial that has invinci frames could be... well, not the change were looking for. We can't overpower some things too much compared to other moves. It would be neat to have the change make sense sonic wise, give it a frame or two of invincibility on the first hitbox, and during those frames add a graphic effect that looks like the insta-shield from sonic 3, and also increase the hitbox on those same frames to more match the insta shield anim.
First hit of Nair is 5-8 frames, the first two hits have a size increase that isn't even disjointed (hitbox is still inward to the character) and has risky aerial endlag already. One of the reasons I gave for this was that there were characters that were spamming only one move (Wall of Pain or otherwise) that completely shut down Sonic's ability to approach and bait, making it hard to punish and forcing Sonic to camp. Nair wouldn't be THAT spammable by any means.

You could make it have large landing lag early on and autocancel later... but that's about it, chibo.

I'm glad you removed the invinc on the second hitbox already (you should probably update the stuff here bio), but invinc nair still... bugs me. If it's only for a couple frames, I guess it's fine, but... meh.
Considering first hit is 5 frames, you have to have really good timing to hit.

Top Bottom