• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Generations - You're too sloooow if you haven't bought this game yet!

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
...wow

Ok I'll admit the music is worse than that one, but in my opinion that still doesn't mean it's horrible or something

Could be my musical preference or something, but w/e
I respect your opinion.
The game's okay. It's just really confusing.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The emphasis on rock music in the Adventure era came from the general public's approval of rock music during that time.

Hell, Sonic as a series adapts as pop culture changes. Sonic was a 90s cool kid to match with the popular rebel cliche in the early 90s, and Sonic music matched up with the popular tunes and style in the 80s and 90s. Once 2000 hit, Sonic was changed to resemble a mature-ish kind of character to match with the children's desire to be seen as mature, and the music changed to the rock-ish and rap themes that excelled in pop culture. The only reason ShTH existed was so that SEGA could appeal to the gamers who deluded themselves and set gamer culture back 20 years and liked the FPS genre. It wasn't until Sonic Unleashed came out that Sonic started getting an identity for itself, instead of one that matched with the times.

Bearing that fact in mind, the "80s buttrock style" music for the most part died off once Sonic Unleashed was released.

Sonic Team is even acknowledging it, with Rooftop Run's modern remix in Generations being a lot more classical and having a lot more emphasis on the violin and the piano than it's original counterpart.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I dunno man. I can't say I understand the appeal of Sonic music ever since they started with that 80s buttrock style in Adventure
What Sonic Storm said, SEGA only conforms to what the public's attitude is these days. Take Sonic's personality, back in the day he had a 'tude and he'd tap his foot and stare pissed at the player whenever he was idle. Pretty much he captured the personality of the youth back then who were adventurous and hated staying still. Nowadays Sonic's more lax and he's also more playful and sappy as well as compared to back then, like the youth now. Same deal with the music. Back then all they had was pixel music, so they didn't have much of a choice of what music they wanted to put in. When they came out with SA1, they could finally put in with the music that was supposed to be from that day, and the music most commonly accepted was rock. Now they're starting to shift to techno, since that's what the youth is listening to these days

I mean literally, they've already released a bunch of techno songs, just look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bv4CJ80LXQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyF_mi3ndI0

I mean SEGA does this all the time, they simply conform Sonic to the current generation's taste. Every game as the consoles become more powerful, for example, they make Sonic faster and faster. If that's what they originally intended or not, it's fan demand that he become faster and faster. Sonic's attitude, the character designs, the game setting, the levels, etc. all just change as the generations progress, plain and simple

Besides, from what they work with, they seem to be very well rounded in all areas these days. I mean, they do great work with techno, they do great work with orchestra, they do great work with rock. Whoever writes this music should be given a medal for doing such a great job being given all those genres

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I want to see pop culture declare that opera music is where it's at, and then see how Sonic Team responds with that.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I want to see pop culture declare that opera music is where it's at, and then see how Sonic Team responds with that.
Hmmm... I think I'm actually curious as to how SEGA would sound if they made opera

Anyways, pop culture declared that out of style about 300-400 years ago :p

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I'd die the moment I hear SEGA do opera in a Sonic game.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I think the problem with that is that opera doesn't really fit in a Sonic game. Sonic's supposed to be fast and speedy, opera is well... boring. It really wouldn't do good in one of these games. Sure, SEGA would probably make a good song out of the genre, but ultimately it doesn't do **** in a Sonic game :/

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Sonic Chronicles is alright, I think they could have done a bit more with regards to some of the character discussion/development - I was pretty disappointed at how pointless Shadow, Cream, Big and Omega (and Rouge to an extent) seemed to be

Now that I mention her, I never bothered to use Cream - I much preferred Tails' healing capabilites...not that it really mattered because all you had to do to win was use Sonic + Shadow and Knuckles + Shade and spam broken moves

So how's the music working in Sonic Generations? I'm a tad confused - all the trailers seem to suggest that funky remixes of the music play in the Classic levels whereas music much more true to the original plays in the Modern levels but in the Green Hill Zone demo it's the other way around :confused:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Sonic Chronicles is alright, I think they could have done a bit more with regards to some of the character discussion/development - I was pretty disappointed at how pointless Shadow, Cream, Big and Omega (and Rouge to an extent) seemed to be

Now that I mention her, I never bothered to use Cream - I much preferred Tails' healing capabilites...not that it really mattered because all you had to do to win was use Sonic + Shadow and Knuckles + Shade and spam broken moves

So how's the music working in Sonic Generations? I'm a tad confused - all the trailers seem to suggest that funky remixes of the music play in the Classic levels whereas music much more true to the original plays in the Modern levels but in the Green Hill Zone demo it's the other way around :confused:
Well for the classic music, they're not exactly true to the originals either. Yes, they sound almost identical, except most of them are just a bit more lively than the older counterparts. Something like the presense of an extra drum line for example is all thats added to the new classic music. As for the modern games, they're all completely different from their previous counterparts. Escape for the city, for example, is more techno for classic sonic and the modern version is rock, but the tempo is changed and it's more rock oriented than the old one.

:phone:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Damn, that music sounds so amazing holy **** finally after like 4 or 5 months I finally see what Crisis City looks like and it looks and sounds amazing. I'm really disappointed at the fact that Classic Spagonia tales place during the day and not the night. I really wanted to see the return of the Werehog. I mean, all he'd be is a capsule whose transformation only lasts for a limited amount of time or something. If you really out your mind to it, it's not that hard to make the werehog available in areas where it actually contributes to the game.

Also, people need to stop complaining about Perfect Chaos. They really do. Oh he doesn't look like water. Well he's a ****ing water serpent dragon thing, what'd you expect for him to look like? You can even tell he's made out of water if you look in deep enough.

And then the people who complain Crisis City is gonna be in the game. Jut because it's Sonic 06, it doesn't mean it wasn't an important game for the franchise. I mean, Sonic 06 was SEGA's celebration for Sonic's 15th birthday, albeit a really crappy one, but a celebration nonetheless. I mean seriously, the music sounds good, the original level idea was pretty decent, the level actually looks good, and the game isn't going to be a glitched up mess. Just be happy you're getting a new level to begin with instead of bashing on something you haven't even played yet and just saw a couple of clips for, solely based on the fact that it was in Sonic 06

Btw, how well do you think they could pull of another Mach Speed run for Modern Crisis City, except instead of Mach Spees, you have the speed boost to compensate? Also, how well do you think they could pull off running across the debris in the sky? I'd imagine if they do the wall bouncing bit, they'd add a bit more of an animation than the one we had in Sonic 06 right?

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I hate how everyone's asking for a damn Chao Garden.
THIS ISN'T AN ADVENTURE GAME, YOU NOOBS.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
The Robeatnik remix?
Yea. It played during a cutscene with Eggman sending out his bots.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I love "I Am."
That's the only piece I remember well next to the Robeatnik mix.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I hate how everyone's asking for a damn Chao Garden.
THIS ISN'T AN ADVENTURE GAME, YOU NOOBS.
As much as I'd like for a Chao Garden to be in a Sonic game one of these days, considering the mechanics and physics of Sonic's movement and what not, and not to mention the control scheme, it'd be really weird to have Sonic in a Chao Garden. I mean, Sonic already moved weird enough in his hub world in Sonic Unleashed, so I don't think that'd really work in this kind of game

And why does the fanbase suck so much? I keep hearing people bashing Sonic 06 saying that SEGA got lazy. It wasn't even their fault. It was M$'s fault for pushing them to make the game for the holiday season, causing them to cut out most of the good stuff in the game because of time constraints

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Guilt by association. SEGA was the one that made the game, so even if it wasn't primarily SEGA's fault for 06 turning out the way it did, people are going to look at the developer and point fingers.

Add in the general "Well, ok, every series experiences a low point" opinion of Heroes, and the "Wait, it's still in a low point, why SEGA why" opinion of ShTH, and you had everyone clamoring "What the ****." when 06 came out.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
And why does the fanbase suck so much? I keep hearing people bashing Sonic 06 saying that SEGA got lazy. It wasn't even their fault. It was M$'s fault for pushing them to make the game for the holiday season, causing them to cut out most of the good stuff in the game because of time constraints
You forgot to mention the fact that Yuji Naka left in the middle of the development of the game while he was one of the lead programmers for it.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Isn't that technically Shadow's lev- *smack*

And Perfect Chaos does look a little stra- *super smack*

Oh and the Rocket Wisp is yellow where's the consis- *hyper smack*

Ehem

This game looks and sounds gorgeous, I hate having just a Wii even more now :c

Maybe I'm too kind but I found Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog enjoyable. Heroes could have done with a bit more polish and ShTH really need a 'Last Story' route imo though

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I find Heroes and ShTH enjoyable too. It's just the general opinion of them being bad that prevails.

Heroes has a true Genesis-style plot and charm, but failed miserably in the controls and camera departments. ShTH was the exact opposite. Neither of them could fill both shoes.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I like Sonic Heroes. It's different than the other games, which I like. ShTH... eh, it looks pretty boring from the footage I saw of it. While it has great replayability, I don't see it being too exciting from the get go tbh.

Btw, if anyone sees music from the levels that I haven't put in the OP yet, feel free to share them in this thread so I can update the OP with them

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I thought Heroes had some cool level designs.
A flipping haunted castle? An evil air fortress? Yes.

Speaking of that, Grand Metropolis is gonna be in the London Olympic Games :awesome:

BSP

Smash Legend
OMG I am getting this game. These trailers just keep getting better and better.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
God damn it, I've seen the trailer about 50 times already, and I STILL can't get over the remix of Crisis City. The entire beginning part in particular is just amazing. Who the hell does SEGA hire to do this music? Like seriously, who the hell makes their music because that guy should be contracted to do music for every company

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Cash Cash is doing the classic remixes.
I heard the writer for Crisis City's music is helping with the classic remix.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So with the game coming out on consoles made by multimedia corporations and possibly the PC, there's a chance you can input your own personal songlist in the game to replace some of the songs. Will anyone do this if the option is available, and with what songs?

If the game's 360 port gives the option to swap out music, I'll probably replace the Metal Sonic boss theme with this. It starts out quiet, but then it picks up in a tear-inducing way. <3 Maybe I'll put the song in the final-ish level or on Sky Sanctuary too.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
If that were possible, I'd put all original song music if I felt like it. GHZ, CPZ, SSZ, Speed Highway, City Escape, Seaside Hill, and so on would all have their original music. I'm imagining how awesome it'd be to play City Escape with original music. There's that, and then on boss levels like Metal Sonic I'd play Sonic Boom to accompany the boss, just because it'd make the most sense imo

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
That sonic CD being releases is so something I have to go buy. It's weird because I've never bought an ODST before and compared to the rest of the artists I own, buying a cd full of happy cheery music would be pretty lol

And **** man, 19 days to go until the game is released. There's no words that I can use to say how excited for this game I am. The music is perfect, the levels look beautiful, the gimmick that isn't used directly in actual normal sonic gameplay actually looks fun and not something shoved in there for the sake of putting something in there (yes Werehog and Silver I'm looking at both of you), the other old characters being brought back look amazing, etc. God I want it to be November 1st already the excitement is killing me.

Also, what makes Shadow run fast? Is it natural ability or can he only run fast because of his shoes?

Top Bottom