• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic AT Video Guide?

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about you guys, but I feel that it's necessary that there's an advanced technique guide thoroughly explaining all of Sonic's capabilities. I feel that we're not very up-to-date and that this guide or video would most likely help beginner sonic mains looking to get better or add some flash to their style. What do you guys think of this?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's a great idea. Only issue is that we need someone to group up the mains so we can get a project like this going.

I'd love to take part in it. :applejack:

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
It's a great idea. Only issue is that we need someone to group up the mains so we can get a project like this going.

I'd love to take part in it. :applejack:
Yeah, that's what the Skype Group Chat is for, From what I know, We have Shadofiend, B.A.M, Excel, Speed, Wedge, D1aos, myself, and some other particularly talented sonic mains. I've also added Jluis to the chat and he said he'd be happy to help. Though, I think we need to round up all these people and get some of the inactive users to come on. I'm not sure how we should organize the players, but someone should message them to come on so we can discuss this. ( Also, I was wondering if you have a skype yourself, Espy )

I can get video of pretty much everything but some writeups for the video would be good.
Actually, that's another thing, I find some of the videos to be.. well.. a bit hard to comprehend. There should be a more fully detailed explanation of it's benefits and how to do it so that way all the newcoming Sonic mains have a better grasp on it.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
First of all, try to refrain from double posting. Just edit your previous post.
Also, I need a list of all of the ATs we're going to cover. I can't remember them all, I just use them.
Alright, I think TESH knows all the AT's, since he's actually discovered some himself, so I would think he would know all of them, and if not, then we're going on one hell of an adventure.

Sorry for the Double-post, I didn't realize until now since I haven't been active on this site for a little while. Haha.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So like, something like this, but more up-to-date?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMRTsGfy0c

It was nice for its time, but watching it again, some of them don't really have to be there. I never really understood why hyphen smashing was considered a technique (it was just a plain u-smash out of a run).

TESH knows all the AT's, since he's actually discovered some himself
The edit button is to the left of the [QUOTE"]. Thanks.

:093:

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
So like, something like this, but more up-to-date?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMRTsGfy0c

It was nice for its time, but watching it again, some of them don't really have to be there. I never really understood why hyphen smashing was considered a technique (it was just a plain u-smash out of a run).

The edit button is to the left of the [QUOTE"]. Thanks.

Yeah, there's more techniques to cover than that, and IMO, since I'm a new Sonic main, are harder to perform.

Also, -_- How do I fix my double post.. excuse me since this is my first time... ( (Haven't been on the site that long )

Tenki

Smash Hero
Don't worry about it, it's not like you're obnoxiously doubleposting anyway lol. You might wanna add a ] to the end of that [/QUOTE though.

The video does cover a bunch of basics though, like knowing the spacing to do a d-air without a laggy landing.

@Wedge, at the very least, these:

Movement
Foxtrot - Tap in a direction to start a dash, wait, tap again, repeat.
'Grind' - While Sonic's in his skid animation (from foxtrot), tilt the control stick forward slightly.
Foxtrot pivot - Tap in a direction to start a dash and immediately tap the opposite direction. You can throw this into the foxtrots to imitate the 'dashdance' movement.

Smashes
DACUS - Start a dash attack with C-stick down > immediately hit up+Attack.
"Stutterstep" - hit C-stick 'backwards'. Sonic shifts forward a little bit when he does a turning forward smash. The more useful input to this is tap back + immediately C-stick forward. You can link into this from foxtrots/foxtrot pivots.
Retreating Forward Smash - Tap backwards > almost immediately manually input forward smash.

Specials
B-reversal - For Sonic, after using side-B or up-B, immediately press the direction opposite of where he's facing (ex: Right-B-Left). The most common B-reversal is side-B - you can use this to help space out a counterattack with Side-B, or as a sort of fancy pivot grab, but there are other uses, like 'turning' in midair so you can double-jump a B-air/F-air in the opposite direction.
Side-B shield cancel - While charging side-B > hit shield before it's fully charged.
Down-B shield cancel - Release a down-B in midair > hold shield while landing.
Spinshot* (sideB) - Charge side-B > hit attack as soon as you release it
Spinshot* (aerial downB) - Charge down-B in midair > hit C-stick while charging.

Other?
Platform Drop Through is a global AT where you can hit shield on a platform and quickly halfway-tap down to fall through it. Sonic can go into shield from his Side-B and Down-B, which means you can link a shield-cancel into it. More advanced variations can include B-reversed Shield cancel --> PDT B-air, etc.

idk, that's a bunch of them lol. I tried to list the bread and butter from like '08 lol

Like, even the basics can pull some great moments. I remember X won a round forever ago cause he dodged+countered an MK with retreating forward smash. ;__; i was so proud.

we can also maybe pull some clips from this cute video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM7u8w5CUow

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
lol.
Damn, that thing's outdated somewhat.
The shenanigans though.

**** tripping. You guys have no idea how many times I tripped during that entire demo. :applejack:

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry about it, it's not like you're obnoxiously doubleposting anyway lol. You might wanna add a ] to the end of that [/QUOTE though.

The video does cover a bunch of basics though, like knowing the spacing to do a d-air without a laggy landing.

@Wedge, at the very least, these:

Movement
Foxtrot - Tap in a direction to start a dash, wait, tap again, repeat.
'Grind' - While Sonic's in his skid animation (from foxtrot), tilt the control stick forward slightly.
Foxtrot pivot - Tap in a direction to start a dash and immediately tap the opposite direction. You can throw this into the foxtrots to imitate the 'dashdance' movement.

Smashes
DACUS - Start a dash attack with C-stick down > immediately hit up+Attack.
"Stutterstep" - hit C-stick 'backwards'. Sonic shifts forward a little bit when he does a turning forward smash. The more useful input to this is tap back + immediately C-stick forward. You can link into this from foxtrots/foxtrot pivots.
Retreating Forward Smash - Tap backwards > almost immediately manually input forward smash.

Specials
B-reversal - For Sonic, after using side-B or up-B, immediately press the direction opposite of where he's facing (ex: Right-B-Left). The most common B-reversal is side-B - you can use this to help space out a counterattack with Side-B, or as a sort of fancy pivot grab, but there are other uses, like 'turning' in midair so you can double-jump a B-air/F-air in the opposite direction.
Side-B shield cancel - While charging side-B > hit shield before it's fully charged.
Down-B shield cancel - Release a down-B in midair > hold shield while landing.
Spinshot* (sideB) - Charge side-B > hit attack as soon as you release it
Spinshot* (aerial downB) - Charge down-B in midair > hit C-stick while charging.

Other?
Platform Drop Through is a global AT where you can hit shield on a platform and quickly halfway-tap down to fall through it. Sonic can go into shield from his Side-B and Down-B, which means you can link a shield-cancel into it. More advanced variations can include B-reversed Shield cancel --> PDT B-air, etc.

idk, that's a bunch of them lol. I tried to list the bread and butter from like '08 lol

Like, even the basics can pull some great moments. I remember X won a round forever ago cause he dodged+countered an MK with retreating forward smash. ;__; i was so proud.

we can also maybe pull some clips from this cute video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM7u8w5CUow
Oh! Now this is really nice, we should also include Ledgeshooting and Naner Lock as well! I'm also thinking that we should try to ask Jluis for help with Platform Cancel and Dropping techniques since he seems to be the sonic that takes advantage of that the most. I'm also thinking that we should have ESPY include the Jab Lock set ups since I've seen many tourney matches where you used a legit Jab lock set up and it works very nicely! I don't recall, but if I do it would be ASC Footstool>Spring>Dair Cancel>Jab? ( I'm sorry if I got this wrong, I've only been using Sonic for a week, but I plan to main him. =D

lol.
Damn, that thing's outdated somewhat.
The shenanigans though.

**** tripping. You guys have no idea how many times I tripped during that entire demo. :applejack:

Ahahaha, I bet. Although, I think that demonstrates most, but if not, ALL of Sonic's dashing techniques. Nicely done Espy.

Edit: I just realized that I yet AGAIN.. double posted.. please someone delete this before I get screwed over. :(

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Mexican Sonics are the craziest ones.
Japanese Sonics are just variations of X. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
I agree that visual aid is always helpful. For some people its pretty essential to understand things. I'm always cool to record random stuff, but I'd hate to try it alone, only to find out I've missed things.

Obviously the best techniques around so far are
FFFB

The Trapezoid A.K.A. "The D1AOS Maneuver"

And of course TCUSBA as can be seen here.

If you check out my channel, you will see that when I do point out something not commonly known, its pretty crude and the video itself sometimes seems extra explaining.

Also I think he was referring to Espy and __X__.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
I agree that visual aid is always helpful. For some people its pretty essential to understand things. I'm always cool to record random stuff, but I'd hate to try it alone, only to find out I've missed things.

Obviously the best techniques around so far are
FFFB

The Trapezoid A.K.A. "The D1AOS Maneuver"

And of course TCUSBA as can be seen here.

If you check out my channel, you will see that when I do point out something not commonly known, its pretty crude and the video itself sometimes seems extra explaining.

Also I think he was referring to Espy and __X__.
Yes! Tesh, i was expecting you to finally come so that you can point out some of your amazing Techs. Haha. :) This is definitely helpful and I've yet to master these techniques, but I'm still at practice. Hopefully you'll discover something else before we finish the video. Hahaha.
@trolby

wonf and muhsoce.
Thanks for pointing that out, but it seems they don't have many recent vids, thanks anyways 'bro. Also, I do keep in mind that Jluis, and these two are making a compilation of their Sonic's, so I hope to see the best of these Mexican Sonic. ~ TakaFlaka from AiB

HOORAY, I DIDN'T DOUBLE POST. (Feels Proud)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's not really a technique. It's just Sonic's hurtbox shrinking when he doesn't autocancel a fair, similar to Jigglypuff, Kirby, G&W, Squirtle, or Snake when they duck. :applejack:

Tenki

Smash Hero
We should probably make distinctions between what the raw techniques are and combinations.

ex: The trapezoid move is Spinshot > Platform Cancel > B-reverse shield cancel > PDT > B-air

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
It's not really a technique. It's just Sonic's hurtbox shrinking when he doesn't autocancel a fair, similar to Jigglypuff, Kirby, G&W, Squirtle, or Snake when they duck. :applejack:
Ah.. I see, but I never knew that was possible. :O This could possibly help us in many situations.

It's so unfortunate that the Japanese haven't found a way to increase the metagame though, I expect something from them. Oh well, hopefully we'll be able to make this AT Video work and help many newcoming Sonic mains, I look forward to this coming out.

We should probably make distinctions between what the raw techniques are and combinations.

ex: The trapezoid move is Spinshot > Platform Cancel > B-reverse shield cancel > PDT > B-air
It isn't exactly a combination in my eyes. If you see this executed in Yoshi's Island, the bair is MUCH quicker and buffered and IMO it's mindgamish depending on the situation.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's so unfortunate that the Japanese haven't found a way to increase the metagame though, I expect something from them.
:p they were too slow.

We had a huge push for AT's and experimentation very early on and got Sonic out of bottom tier to mid. Shield cancels helped push the playstyle away from just using spindashes as direct attacks to being more tricky.

Character development eventually plateaud and it became more of improve yourself~, with little bits of "hey, a global AT was found, can we use it?" now and then.

It isn't exactly a combination in my eyes. If you see this executed in Yoshi's Island, the bair is MUCH quicker and buffered and IMO it's mindgamish depending on the situation.
IMO, still just a bunch of them linked together, with different timing due to different heights of platforms. You'd still buffer the inputs anyway, since it guarantees the fastest timing possible.

Combinations will just bloat the list, cause what then, will we have

Stutter Step
Foxtrot F-smash?
Foxtrot Retreating Fsmash?
Dash Dance Foxtrotx2 Stutterstep?
ASCPCPDTUAIR?

Listing out a few stage-specific tricks and combinations might be useful as an afterthought, but the building blocks should hold priority.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
No. That's what Tenki's talking about.
Rather than sum up every single little thing we've "made" (which is simply a combination of regular inputs, more or less), we should compile a list of the legitimate ATs (Spinshots, DACUS).

Though I'd definitely say we make some kind of distinction. I find it hard to leave DDP's out, even if they're simply just a combination of two universal ATs (Foxtrotting and Dash Dancing). :applejack:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i'll be glad to help with this. and yes we should in the video show how our AT's differ from one another. Only thing is that sonic's AT's for the most part consist of or start from either DDP's or spin dashes.

I mean the general AT's that are universal to every character i don't think we need to cover. This video should be straight forward and to the point .

EDIT:
Hispanic Sonics make the best Sonic mains.
Good thing I'm Hispanic(Puerto Rican to be exact).

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
No. That's what Tenki's talking about.
Rather than sum up every single little thing we've "made" (which is simply a combination of regular inputs, more or less), we should compile a list of the legitimate ATs (Spinshots, DACUS).

Though I'd definitely say we make some kind of distinction. I find it hard to leave DDP's out, even if they're simply just a combination of two universal ATs (Foxtrotting and Dash Dancing). :applejack:
Yeah, and they most definitely help too, Sonic's kill power sucks so much ***, he's going to need all the mindgames he can get just to take a stock, ( Unless you're brawling someone inexperienced, then just bair )

i'll be glad to help with this. and yes we should in the video show how our AT's differ from one another. Only thing is that sonic's AT's for the most part consist of or start from either DDP's or spin dashes.

I mean the general AT's that are universal to every character i don't think we need to cover. This video should be straight forward and to the point .

EDIT:

Good thing I'm Hispanic(Puerto Rican to be exact).
Yeah, that's true, although we should include how to do a "True Pivot" as MOST people don't really know how to do that. It could prove somewhat useful as a kill move or simply just to trick or punish the opponent.

So I'm curious, is anyone able to record in HD and make sexy effects? ANYONE?

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's what the Skype Group Chat is for, From what I know, We have Shadofiend, B.A.M, Excel, Speed, Wedge, D1aos, myself, and some other particularly talented sonic mains. I've also added Jluis to the chat and he said he'd be happy to help. Though, I think we need to round up all these people and get some of the inactive users to come on. I'm not sure how we should organize the players, but someone should message them to come on so we can discuss this. ( Also, I was wondering if you have a skype yourself, Espy )

Actually, that's another thing, I find some of the videos to be.. well.. a bit hard to comprehend. There should be a more fully detailed explanation of it's benefits and how to do it so that way all the newcoming Sonic mains have a better grasp on it.
Me? Talented?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seriously, I'm not very useful for much of anything.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think he means "sonic mains with youtube accounts".

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Me? Talented?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seriously, I'm not very useful for much of anything.
Hahaha, I know you don't play this game anymore, it's unfortunate too, but at least there's still Sonic Mains out there.

I think he means "sonic mains with youtube accounts".
No, Not really. I'm just sayin' that Him and the other Sonic are.. well.. "notable"

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If we're going to commit to anything regarding a video, I can definitely help, but it won't happen until school's all said and done for this semester, which isn't until May 10th on my end.

After that, and before mid-August, I'm willing to do something like this, including write ups. :applejack:

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
If we're going to commit to anything regarding a video, I can definitely help, but it won't happen until school's all said and done for this semester, which isn't until May 10th on my end.

After that, and before mid-August, I'm willing to do something like this, including write ups. :applejack:
Ah, I see... Is there perhaps that you know that is good with Video Editing? If there is, we should send all relays of the techniques to him. Also, It'd be nice if we can have the write ups first before we have the video, to make sure that we have all techniques covered.

Also, I was thinking we should make a separate thread where whoever makes the thread includes a detailed description of all the techniques and their benefits. Then, we have members of the Sonic Boards contribute and add more to it. Perhaps it should also be sticky'd and given a fancy title that regards the Winning Steak. ;) Although, that's up to you.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Tesh's videos are actually pretty decent quality, as are Wedge's.
If they're willing, we could have them upload it or something. I could upload as well with decent speed, but I really don't have much video capturing software. :applejack:

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Tesh's videos are actually pretty decent quality, as are Wedge's.
If they're willing, we could have them upload it or something. I could upload as well with decent speed, but I really don't have much video capturing software. :applejack:
Alright! I think I'll have Wedge do it. Also, do I have your consent about the whole separate thread thing?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Making a spreadsheet in another thread sound just fine. Not sure how much we can do at the moment though. I'm kinda here and there a lot. I'll definitely do what I can, but I won't be doing much until I get more time after finals. :applejack:

Top Bottom