• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something doesn't feel right about Marth

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
In Melee I played as Marth every now and then. That hasn't changed, but in Brawl something just feels...off.

I don't feel that enthusiastic playing as Marth in Brawl, and I don't know why. I like Marth; I like Fire Emblem and I think he's badass, but I simply do not get that same feeling of "Awesome!" that I do when playing as Samus, Metaknight or Lucas. Or Ike, for that matter.

You might be thinking by now: "So what?" Yeah, well, I dunno. I'm reaching out to you, the Marth mains. It's not that big of a deal, but hell, I want to feel the fun playing Marth actually is.

:confused:

∫unk

Smash Master
What Marth's lost:
Broken f-smash
SHFFLing for awesome approach
Wavedash and dashdance for f-smash spacing
Chaingrab
Ken Combo
A good spike

What Marth's gained:
Better dancing blade
Not much else.. you could argue for shieldbreaker but in Melee shieldbreaker was used about as often in a match just in a different situation.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
What Marth's lost:
Broken f-smash
SHFFLing for awesome approach
Wavedash and dashdance for f-smash spacing
Chaingrab
Ken Combo
A good spike

What Marth's gained:
Better dancing blade
Not much else.. you could argue for shieldbreaker but in Melee shieldbreaker was used about as often in a match just in a different situation.

-Lol Marth still has a pretty good approach, not AS good but it's still pretty good.
-You can still dashdance >> It just has a bit less use....and the f-smash spacing technique has been replaced by pivot--->fsmash
-It might not work against everyone, but lucas/ness chaingrab at least? xD
-His spike is still good...it's just not reliable xD

But ya, I agree with your points overall. I'm just picking about wording.

Oh, and you forgot to mention his sword is like half it's original size T_T

Nodrak

Smash Ace
No one in brawl has really felt the same for me. The general floatyness of the game and speed of the game (thanks to L-canceling and wavedashing being taken out) has changed. Marth isn't too different compared to some other characters (look at Mario or Falco) but there are some changes. Basically, everything you did in melee, do about half a second slower, and things will make sense.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Maybe it's the fact that Brawl isn't a good game?

Just grasping at straws here.

Or the fact that Marth DOES play differently from his Melee incarnation.

That said I love Marth in Brawl, but not for the same reasons that I love him in Melee.

∫unk

Smash Master
-Lol Marth still has a pretty good approach, not AS good but it's still pretty good.
-You can still dashdance >> It just has a bit less use....and the f-smash spacing technique has been replaced by pivot--->fsmash
-It might not work against everyone, but lucas/ness chaingrab at least? xD
-His spike is still good...it's just not reliable xD

But ya, I agree with your points overall. I'm just picking about wording.

Oh, and you forgot to mention his sword is like half it's original size T_T
LOL please learn to read. My wording is perfectly clear... I never said Marth's approach in Brawl is bad or he can't dashdance (I said he can't dashdance for spacing).

Marth's grab sucks now sorry. Lucas can get out of the grab pretty easily if you know how... and who plays Ness? :D

And I already said the spike is harder... seriously did you even read my post?

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
God, TC, you should try comparing the 2 Samuses. Huge difference.
Samus is my display pic, there's a Samus icon in my status bar and I mentioned Samus in my post. But since you haven't put two and two together, Samus is and has always been my main since the first day I played Smash64.

:psycho:

Maybe it's the fact that Brawl isn't a good game?

Just grasping at straws here.

Or the fact that Marth DOES play differently from his Melee incarnation.

That said I love Marth in Brawl, but not for the same reasons that I love him in Melee.
Sorry you feel that way. Actually, I prefer Brawl to Melee, and I know Marth plays differently but I don't quite feel bad when playing him. It's not that I don't like playing with him. I do, but playing with him just doesn't feel fun to me now.

I think I'm gonna watch some Marth videos; maybe seeing Marth mains pwn will make him seem interesting again.

Maybe it's just the fact that Marth's moveset is so simplistic, especially compared to some of the other fighters (D3 and Lucas come to mind).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Dedede is FAR simpler then Marth.

He is one of the simplest characters in the game. He only has like 6 good moves and the rest suck.

Lunytunes4.4

Smash Journeyman
I *think* you may have something here.

Alright, here goes:

Something doesn't feel right with Ganondorf and Falcon. I used to love them in Melee, but now... ah hell, **** it.

lol, nerfed

marth does feel different and is not better then his melee counter-part, but to be honest i love brawl marth better just because his white suit looks better

also, i would say out of all the top/high tier chars, marth is the one who got the least nerfed(even though he still did get nerfed pretty badly =/) but after playing a melee c.falcon and a brawl c.falcon, i dont even know who c.falcon is anymore

meepxzero

Smash Master
Marth is possibly the only character in brawl where you can mess with the opponents head and flat out stop peoples approaches if you use the correct attacks. Hes way different now but he got more buffed than nerfed. Its just the newer top tiers in brawl have just reached a new level of brokeness.

He might not feel the same anymore now because you cant just fair fair fsmash and expect to win now.

peNNy

Smash Cadet
I always played Marth in Melee... now my fav is Ike...

You´re right... somethin is "wrong" with Marth in Brawl...
You´re right... it doesn´t feel right while playing him...

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Dedede is FAR simpler then Marth.

He is one of the simplest characters in the game. He only has like 6 good moves and the rest suck.
I didn't mean simple in terms of gameplay, I meant in the appearance of their moves. Everything Marth does is either a slash or a stab. At least Dedede swings his hammer, spins his hammer, tosses minions, kicks, headbuts and bodyslams.

...And Dedede has more than six good moves. >>

Edit: After a few epic matches online, especially one against an Ike (the person was actually good. Combine that with the FE level and Ike's theme and you've got 2 minutes of epic), I realize now why I lack the same feelings. It's really just in comparison to my mains, and also partially the way I use him.

I try to juggle and get vertical kills as Marth and it just doesn't work as well in this game as it did in Melee, at least not for me. I tried playing differently against some L9 comps (my connection crapped out of me; give me a break), and he seems to be coming back to me. The new Dancing Blade is better than I thought.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
marth does feel different and is not better then his melee counter-part, but to be honest i love brawl marth better just because his white suit looks better
You too, eh? That suit's awesome.

And Dedede? Well, it wouldn't be the first time a good character is simple. Xianghua had like, what, 5 good moves in SC2?

juniorv376

Smash Journeyman
I dont know, I think the dancing blades look pretty fancy =), however, after using it about 3x per stock it does get kinda boring to look at =(

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Although I agree that Dedede does not have a large amount of good moves, I was talking about Marth's moves. It wasn't very clear because I was stupid and used arrows instead of quotes.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I like Brawl Marth more then Melee Marth for several reasons actually.

The main one being that all his moves are good now and he has more kill options. Also his close range game is alot better, but that's also due to the removal of crouch cancelling.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^ Same, I remember in Melee thinking "Dancing blade could be such an awesome move, but it sucks." Now you can use very one of his attacks effectively.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Basically your opponent recieved very little knockback and didn't go into hitstun and they could beat your face in for hitting them.

Marth lacked a really good close range move that completely negated crouch cancelling like the shine for the space animals. Also his jab was crappy in Melee.

Getting rid of crouch cancelling and buffing his Dancing Blade made him one of the better close range range fighters in Brawl.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yes. Just hold down and you would eat all the hits then you could pound his face in.

juniorv376

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Just hold down and you would eat all the hits then you could pound his face in.
I see, I get it now. You just ate the Dancing Blades, but with little to know consequences. Then went on toe **** the marth. **** , and to think that marth was still top tier w/o an effective ground game. lol

∫unk

Smash Master
Who used dancing blade in melee :p

Marth is all about spacing, and losing WDing and a useful dashdance killed a huge part of his game. He's still good though in a different way.

FlyingPossum

Smash Rookie
For me it was not so much Marth getting worse (even though he did), but the other charecters getting better. Marth used to have an awsome sword range compared with most of the other commonly used charecters, but now they seem to want to give everyone swords or hammers or whatever. Yay for disjointed hitboxes, but Marth was better when he was one among few rather than one among many.
I may be grasping at straws here but when I first found Marth weaker than before, that is what came to me right away.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth is overall stronger, so that's wrong.

Also, yes, you are correct that he isn't as unique since alot of characters have weapons now.

Top Bottom