• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some tips and Interesting stuff

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Tips

Jab Cancel

How to Jab Cancel :

Jab one time or twice, and during the last frames of the second jab or first, you can shield quickly ( the shield shouldn't appear) and break it into another jab, grab or tilt.

This tech comes in handy sometimes, its good for catching an unexpected opponent with a couple of double jabs and racking a little bit of damage for the kill, nobody ever expects a DeDeDe player to Jab Cancel, and it also looks fancy. :chuckle:
AA to D-tilt is a great kill move at high percentages when its fresh, it comes out fast and has a pretty good range.

Percentages :

AA, D-tilt - 21%
AA, F-tilt - 17%
AA, U-smash - 25%
AA, D-Smash - 26%

------------

Tech Chasing

Tech chasing is the act of following or predicting an opponent's tech in order to attack him before he can respond. Because a character's tech animations have small windows of vulnerability before a character can shield, sidestep, dodge, or attack, it is possible to read the direction of a player's tech and punish the lag with an attack, jump-canceled grab, or projectile.

You can Tech chase every character in the game but this is more effective versus the people King DeDeDe can't chaingrab.
This is the main reason King DeDeDe has some good matchups vs opponents he can't chaingrab.

Down throw setups for an amazing Tech chasing game, when you Down Throw someone you can't chaingrab they will almost always hit the ground
some light characters can DI upwards and their body won't hit the ground
------------

But if they do hit the ground then you can Tech chase them obviously. If they hit the ground and don't tech they can ONLY do 4 things: Roll Forward, Roll Behind, Get up normally or do a Get up attack.

You can punish every of those 4 Options but you gotta predict what they are going to do next, If they roll forward you can run and re-grab, If they roll behind you can simply re-grab or , If they Get up normally you can just attack with anything and if they do a Get Up attack you can shield the attack and shieldgrab.
But if you down throw them, run forward and shield just in front of them then you will take 2 more options from them (Get up & Get up Attack) because if they use them you can shieldgrab them really easy so what most people do when you run and shield near them after a down throw is roll forward and you can punish that option really easy by running and doing a Dash Attack and if they roll behind you can predict it and do a Fsmash to get a easy kill. What I usually do when I tech chase my opponent I do this:

I Down throw them a phew times at the beginning of the fight to see what they do and how they react.
Most people roll behind me after I down throw them so the next time I down throw them I know they are going to roll behind me so I can punish them with a Fsmash or another Grab.

Move Decay...

The more times you use a particular move the weaker that move will be that means the damage & the knockback of the move is will be lower. This is simple just use other moves designed to do damage first( chaingrab, F-tilt, AAA Jab, Bair or Fair WaP's ) and then use your kill moves( U-tilt thanks to its awesome huge priority and amazing knockback) when you know you can kill them.
Keeping your kill moves fresh means getting a low % kill on the opponent.
This especially works when fighting light weights (Jigglypuff, G&W, Squirtle, etc) because King DeDeDe lives till high percentages(120%) and he lives even higher if the player knows how to DI correctly. (DI fer god tier)

Reverse Aerial Rush

How to RAR :

You must be running forward then press the control stick backwards to turnaround then jump and do a Bair while moving forward.

The purpose of RAR or Reverse Aerial R is to attack with a Bair while maintaining your forward momentum. This is most effective versus tall people like Snake & Ganondorf but you can also use this to approach small people but you have to fast fall after to hit them or else you'll miss there head leaving you open. You can follow up with a WaP sometimes.

Simple Follow-Ups

Up throw sets-up for an U-air at low percentages. (It can be DI'ed out of)

Footstool jump sets-up for Dair. (It can be DI'ed out of)

A fast falled Nair sets-up for an U-tilt at low percentages.

Down throw setups up for F-tilt on more than half of the cast.

Testings :

Doesn't get hit by F-tilt after a Down throw.

Jigglypuff
Luigi
Kirby
Squirtle

The rest of the cast gets hit by F-tilt after a Down throw.

------------

Known Glitches

The Dedede Shuffle

If you fully charge DDD's jet hammer, to the point where he's taking damage, and then just SLIGHTLY tilt in your movement direction you're able to glitch the character into dashing really quickly but you gotta tilt it REALLY fast.

Display Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrkWeh87t1I&feature=PlayList&p=8E0CCA64FC461716&index=0

Gordo Glitch

This happens randomly. Just throw a Gordo at your opponent then he has to shield it in a certain frame of the hitbox and then the Gordo will stale in the air moving a little bit. The Gordo's hitbox [B[WON'T[/B] go away after that.

Display Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-CDOeV4nDo&feature=PlayList&p=8E0CCA64FC461716&index=4

Fallthrough glitch.

In teams when you Inhale someone and you get hit while you're doing it the character you were inhaling will fall through the stage and probably die.

Display Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VSdOo1cKPw

DeDeDe & Olimar inhale Glitch.

When Olimar is grabbing an opponent try inhaling him and Instead of going into DeDeDe's belly he will pass DeDeDe. But even after Olimar was dragged away from his Pikmin the opponent Olimar was grabbing will still be pummeled and grabbed by the Pikmin. This only works with TA "ON".

Display Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RwZhPk-Z84

Micellanious Stuff

- King DeDeDe's Up-B has some Super Armor frames at the beginning, they end slightly before the peak of the jump.

- If you press "A" when you're near a Waddle Dee or Waddle Doo King DeDeDe will pick it up and throw it again.

- King DeDeDe has the same running speed as Zelda.

- Inhale has a little bit of Super Armor frames at the beginning of the move.

- King DeDeDe's D-tilt can make the opponent trip at low percentages.

When you perform King DeDeDe's Up-B on the ground and you angle it to the side he will do some kind of slide at the beginning.

- King DeDeDe's English voice actor is Masahiro Sakurai himself . . .

- When you use Jet hammer and you tilt the stick up King DeDeDe will jump even if tap jump is off.

- King DeDeDe can throw Items using his Waddle Dee toss if Items are "ON", If Items are set to "OFF" and item appearance frequency set to "NONE" he won't throw any items.

- King DeDeDe’s side special move, the Waddle Dee Throw, launches out a Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo or, occasionally, a Gordo. The ratio that determines the frequency with which each one appears is 35:10:4 respectively.

- King DeDeDe can eat almost all of the items in the game by using his Neutral B (Inhale). When DeDeDe eats an explosive item it will explode in King DeDeDe's stomach and he will gain 5% damage. (Bob-omb, Gooey Bomb, Motion-Sensor bomb, Smart bomb and Blast box) When he eats a particular item the effect of the item will take effect right away when he eats it and there are other Items that won't do anything when DeDeDe eats them. (Deku nut, Team healer, Franklin badge, etc)

Testings:

Take's effect after he eats it :

Super Mushroom
Heart Container
Superspicy Curry
Maxim Tomato
Metal Box
Poison Mushroom
Timer
Food
Lightning
Warpstar
Dragoon Parts

He can't eat :

Pokeballs
Smashballs
Starman
Mr. Saturn

------------

- King DeDeDe has 6 Costumes in total:

Original Costume.

Pink Costume.

Best costume on the game Period.

Green Costume. :)

Purple Costume.

White Costume.

Old School DeDeDe Costume.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Due to awful landing lag, any decent opponent will punish you for fastfalling both b-air and f-air. It's better to simply do them on the rise of your jump, that way you suffer no landing lag if your opponent shields through them.

This expands your options to things such as grabbing, d-tilt, u-tilt, etc. on landing.

Smudge

Smash Lord
I must say you're spot on with the Jab canceling tip.

I practiced how to do this the other day, and no-one really sees the D-Tilt coming. Fantastic stuff.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Due to awful landing lag, any decent opponent will punish you for fastfalling both b-air and f-air. It's better to simply do them on the rise of your jump, that way you suffer no landing lag if your opponent shields through them.
This expands your options to things such as grabbing, d-tilt, u-tilt, etc. on landing.
Yeah but you could do the FF Bair's & Fair's offstage, that way you wouldn't have landing lag and probably getting a kill.

i wouldn't inhale vs. g&w. add that as a tip nao
Why you wouldn't use Inhale vs GaymenWatch? Tell meh nao :)

I must say you're spot on with the Jab canceling tip.

I practiced how to do this the other day, and no-one really sees the D-Tilt coming. Fantastic stuff.
I use this all the time now its really good isn't it. ;)

Edit : Added Tech Chasing.

Smudge

Smash Lord
Tech chasing is something I've always been a bit sketchy on. Either that or i've never been able to punish properly. would this be good for Misc stuff?:

"King Dedede’s side special move, the Waddle Dee Throw, launches out a Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo or, occasionally, a Gordo. The ratio that determines the frequency with which each one appears is 35:10:4 respectively."

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Tech chasing is something I've always been a bit sketchy on. Either that or i've never been able to punish properly. would this be good for Misc stuff?:

"King Dedede’s side special move, the Waddle Dee Throw, launches out a Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo or, occasionally, a Gordo. The ratio that determines the frequency with which each one appears is 35:10:4 respectively."
Thanks for that I'll add it. ;)

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
the AA to dsmash is a can be shielded?
Well it can be shielded but most people never expect it.

Edit: I just tested it, You got to do the Jab Cancel perfectly so they can't shield but if you do it with wrong timing they can shield it and punish afterwards.

RATED

Smash Lord
Well it can be shielded but most people never expect it.

Edit: I just tested it, You got to do the Jab Cancel perfectly so they can't shield but if you do it with wrong timing they can shield it and punish afterwards.
thanks I will get this on my game. nice thread btw

Gates

Banned via Warnings
This thread has some really good info for beginners. I like it.

Also, Dedede can't inhale Smash Balls.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
If you want to jab cancel, you do 2 jabs and then you press down on the analog to cancel the jab and follow up with something else right? I need to get the timing right or else i crouch to long X_X

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
If you want to jab cancel, you do 2 jabs and then you press down on the analog to cancel the jab and follow up with something else right? I need to get the timing right or else i crouch to long X_X
Its better doing it w/ shield than down on the analog stick, Just press shield when you're doing the 2nd Jab or 1st and it cancels letting you do anything you want.
(the shield shouldn't appear)

Smudge

Smash Lord
List of Stages with Walls that you can Ifinite against:

Brawl Stages
* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Mushroomy Kingdom
* New Pork City
* PictoChat
* Shadow Moses Island
* Summit
* WarioWare, Inc.

Melee Stages
* Corneria
* Green Greens
* Onett
* Pokémon Stadium
* Rainbow Cruise
* Temple

Obviously some of these are situational and the duration varies. But Infinites can be done on these stages on certain characters.

(I'll go into more detail about where later, when I know myself for definite lol)

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Its better doing it w/ shield than down on the analog stick, Just press shield when you're doing the 2nd Jab or 1st and it cancels letting you do anything you want.
Alright this should help alot. I have a little question. Is it better to do a Full Hop and then 2 Bairs or just SHbair for spacing? I usually just SHBair but i see people doing 2 in a Full Hop. Also, what are your other spacing options besides the Bair and Ftilt?

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
List of Stages with Walls that you can Infinite against:

Brawl Stages
* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Mushroomy Kingdom
* New Pork City
* PictoChat
* Shadow Moses Island
* Summit
* WarioWare, Inc.

Melee Stages
* Corneria
* Green Greens
* Onett
* Pokémon Stadium
* Rainbow Cruise
* Temple

Obviously some of these are situational and the duration varies. But Infinites can be done on these stages on certain characters.
I assume you want me to add that to the Tips?

I have a little question. Is it better to do a Full Hop and then 2 Bairs or just SHbair for spacing? I usually just SHBair but i see people doing 2 in a Full Hop. Also, what are your other spacing options besides the Bair and Ftilt?
SH Bair IMO is better for spacing because if you FH and do 2 Bair's most of the time you'll miss you're opponents head and get punished.

What are your other spacing options besides the Bair and Ftilt?
Some good spacing moves are WDee Toss, F-tilt, Fair to lagless Dair & Bair .

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Please explain EXACTLY how to do the Jab Cancel in the OP. I know it sounds obvious, but it really needs to be there.

Thanks =)

And don't forget Halberd as a stage where DDD can wall infinite against some characters. It's important since Halberd basically becomes Shadow Moses and who wouldn't want to play on Shadow Moses...

The Sex Puma

Smash Lord
Why you wouldn't use Inhale vs GaymenWatch? Tell meh nao :)
idk maybe i'm just unlucky but, whenever i inhale, that g&w seems smart enough to smash. and the smash goes right threw d3 as g&w only gets sucked in slightly

lain

Smash Master
Uhh... a lot of this is wrong and ridiculous. For shame.

I'll tell you why when I get home. :]

lain

Smash Master
OH GOD I JUST READ A LITTLE MORE.

AGAIN. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW WRONG THIS ALL IS.

x_x

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I also don't use the jab that often but it punishes spot dodgers so it can be handy. And if you learn how to cancel it, it might be an awesome set up for a CG. So i'll try to get it into my game together with the Inhale move, i don't use both moves xD

Btw, i use the Pink Costume. IT rocks on DDD :D

lain

Smash Master
sMexy-Blu said:
Down throw setups for an amazing Tech chasing game, when you Down Throw someone you can't chaingrab they will always hit the ground, if they hit the ground and tech he will get away of your Tech chase but if they don't Tech they can only do 4 things, Roll Forward, Roll Behind, Get up or Get up attack.
They don't always hit the ground. Some light characters (like G&W) can di upwards and their body flies a little up off the ground instead. But to punish that you just run forward and grab like you're cg'ing a heavy characters LOL. if they tech away, you can still grab them, You're ddd for godsakes.

sMexy-Blu said:
The more times you use a particular move the weaker that move will be that means the damage & the knockback of the move is will be lower. This is simple just use other moves designed to do damage first( chaingrab, F-tilt, AAA Jab ) and then use your kill moves( U-tilt, Fair, Bair ) when you know you can kill them. Keeping your kill moves fresh means getting a low % kill on the opponent.
All of DDD's aerials (save for nair) rock. There is NO reason to not be spamming aerials while spacing them. People either run into them or it creates openings to land and grab. And plus, DDD is maneuraverable enough to link a few aerials occasionally.

Utilt is DDD's best killing move by far, so remember that it is super fast, and has huge priority.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
They don't always hit the ground. Some light characters (like G&W) can di upwards and their body flies a little up off the ground instead. But to punish that you just run forward and grab like you're cg'ing a heavy characters LOL. if they tech away, you can still grab them, You're ddd for godsakes.

All of DDD's aerials (save for nair) rock. There is NO reason to not be spamming aerials while spacing them. People either run into them or it creates openings to land and grab. And plus, DDD is maneuraverable enough to link a few aerials occasionally.

Utilt is DDD's best killing move by far, so remember that it is super fast, and has huge priority.
Fixed those parts, Thanks. :)

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I actually use the Yet Hammer to good use. If you can predict where they land yo can hit them with it, and it kills really good aswell. I'm trying to make use of the Yet Hammer here xD. I don't make it so you lose 2 percents every second though, to much ending lag . Just the small Yet Hammer mash is enough to kill, i've done it alot. And after a CG, you can Fsmash in the hope they do a get up attack or roll towards you. It should hit them nicely.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
And after a CG, you can Fsmash in the hope they do a get up attack or roll towards you. It should hit them nicely.
This will rarely happed unless you mindgame trick your opponent really good and that is a Tech Chase basically. lolz

lain

Smash Master
That's been known since forever.

My main point is that this is all common knowledge (which was wrong before I corrected SOME of it).

Also, people can DI out of the jabs->whatever.

You can't tech chase people with fsmash. You just can't.

falln

Smash Ace
Just pointing out that Zss can also break free of the tech chase. She can DI upwards and use her down b to escape (comes out faster than jump i think)

Vayseth

Smash Master
Also I'm sure the majority of characters can air dodge and prevent hitting the ground all together. If you read it, it's another grab, but if you were expecting them to hit the ground it can mess ya up.

haloman800

Smash Apprentice
i did his jet hammer in the air and it made me just stay in air for a second, im not sure how to repeat it but it might help, also right b4 i hit the ground i did jet hammer and it came out instantly, like toon links double arrow cancel, also if theres a waddle dee on the ground and u fsmash it, it increases the range of it by the length of the waddle dee, so u can trick ur opponent to running into it ^-^ thats some stuff i found out

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure jab canceling with shield is a myth. Jab canceling is done via crouching >action and if done correctly you won't see the crouch. If you are doing with shield you are actually just timing your moves correctly so that they aren't buffered into a jab combo.

Top Bottom