• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Lol blame the Netherlands for their "destroyer" tactics. Spain only tried to play the game like it should be played (keeping the ball as much as you can and try to score goals) in fact Spain is currently rated the best at this positive style of play.
Netherlands on the other hand played anti-football at its finest (Martial Arts included, De Jong Takedown of the night) so they "killed" the game and made it boring. That De Jong challenge was a straight red, but the ref sucked and allowed too much hard play.

Anyway, great finals like these are usually boring, both sides play cautious and there is not too much risk involved.

BTW, if you only find brutalities and fouls interesting, i guess american football or rubgy is a better sport for you -_-
Don't hate the ref too much. He gave out 14 yellows (14!)

It's tough to ref such a rough match

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Please. What really ruined the game for me was the insane amount of diving by the Spanish. It was incredibly pathetic to watch, and certainly nothing like a "beautiful" game. Spain made Italy look like saints on Sunday.
Insane amount of diving? You mean insane amount of fouls and hacks by Netherlands.

Football ("soccer") is no american football or rugby. This isnt meant to be an agressive, violent game. If you commit a foul, you have to be penalised. If there was diving, it was just to make the over-agressive dutch players get what they deserved, bookings.

You sound like the typical spectator who thinks violence, people hitting each other, car crashes and stuff like this are the best entertainment. -.- (Purtle is another one)

Don't hate the ref too much. He gave out 14 yellows (14!)
Failed to give De Jong a straight red (yeah the one in the gif) in the first stages of the match that would made spain win much more comfortably, and lots of small fouls done on purpose too

earthadept

Smash Lord
Insane amount of diving? You mean insane amount of fouls and hacks by Netherlands.

Football ("soccer") is no american football or rugby. This isnt meant to be an agressive, violent game. If you commit a foul, you have to be penalised. If there was diving, it was just to make the over-agressive dutch players get what they deserved, bookings.

You sound like the typical spectator who thinks violence, people hitting each other, car crashes and stuff like this are the best entertainment. -.- (Purtle is another one)

Failed to give De Jong a straight red (yeah the one in the gif) in the first stages of the match that would made spain win much more comfortably, and lots of small fouls done on purpose too

I've been watching soccer since the 1990 world cup. Please don't make assumptions about me. I don't just like seeing violence. People fail to realize that the game used to be MUCH more physical than it is now. Watch any soccer match from the 70s, and the Dutch style of play will look pretty tame.

I'm glad you try to turn diving into a positive thing. Typical Spanish fan. I'd say 5-6 of the cards given to the Dutch were the direct result of Spanish dives (as in, they weren't fouls, but were exaggerated to such an extent that the referee had to give cards out). Including BOTH of Heitinga's.

De Jong deserved a red yes, but Puyol did as well. If a yellow were given for each Spanish dive (as they should be) then about half the team would've been on the bench.

Also, I loved how the Dutch were slapped with 2 yellow cards for complaining to the referee... While anytime a Spanish player complained they would get the call their way. Even better was the 2-3 corner kicks/free kicks that were obviously deserved by the Dutch that were seemingly randomly given the other way. Of course, it wasn't random in reality.

I think the absolute best part was when - about 5 feet away from Howard Webb - Ramos gets up from being tackled on the ground and full on tackles the Dutch player to the ground, completely away from the field of play... with no call from the referee! When I saw that, I almost turned off the TV. I knew it was over, and Spain would win with such unbelievably biased calling. Didn't Zidane get a straight red for such tactics? Or am I mistaken?

I'm going to rewatch the game and write down the exact times of all of the ridiculous calls, and would love to hear your interpretation of them.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I've been watching soccer since the 1990 world cup. Please don't make assumptions about me. I don't just like seeing violence. People fail to realize that the game used to be MUCH more physical than it is now. Watch any soccer match from the 70s, and the Dutch style of play will look pretty tame.

I'm glad you try to turn diving into a positive thing. Typical Spanish fan. I'd say 5-6 of the cards given to the Dutch were the direct result of Spanish dives (as in, they weren't fouls, but were exaggerated to such an extent that the referee had to give cards out). Including BOTH of Heitinga's.

De Jong deserved a red yes, but Puyol did as well. If a yellow were given for each Spanish dive (as they should be) then about half the team would've been on the bench.

Also, I loved how the Dutch were slapped with 2 yellow cards for complaining to the referee... While anytime a Spanish player complained they would get the call their way. Even better was the 2-3 corner kicks/free kicks that were obviously deserved by the Dutch that were seemingly randomly given the other way. Of course, it wasn't random in reality.

I think the absolute best part was when - about 5 feet away from Howard Webb - Ramos gets up from being tackled on the ground and full on tackles the Dutch player to the ground, completely away from the field of play... with no call from the referee! When I saw that, I almost turned off the TV. I knew it was over, and Spain would win with such unbelievably biased calling. Didn't Zidane get a straight red for such tactics? Or am I mistaken?

I'm going to rewatch the game and write down the exact times of all of the ridiculous calls, and would love to hear your interpretation of them.
It depends of the country. Some countries played it physical and some not.

I think Intelligent football >>>> Physical football. Physical football is for bad/dumb players. If you were a football player, you would like to play rough/physical football and have way more risk of getting injured and even ruining a part of your career? Hell no. It is plain stupid.

It is completely normal that the spaniards didnt see any card while complaining to the ref - They were the ones being constantly fouled by the tacles and anti-football of the dutch.
Puyol foul to Robben wasnt called because he gave robben the advantage, because he kept going, then he bottled it against the keeper. Also, it wasnt nearly as hard or blatant as De Jong's.

I find very surprising how some people can defend dirty football really. This is what kills the sport and prevents the really good players from doing great and beautiful stuff.

earthadept

Smash Lord
And I find it very surprising you continue to ignore the fact that the Spanish players were blatantly diving throughout the 120 minutes of the game. Diving after every tackle is much worse for the sport than some physical play. Hard tackles are legal - you tackle a bit too hard, and you take a yellow card. On the other hand, diving goes totally unpunished, and the Spanish team thrives on that.

I'm not Dutch or Spanish, so the outcome of the game didn't really matter to me. But the refereeing and the Spanish diving made me feel sick.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
And I find it very surprising you continue to ignore the fact that the Spanish players were blatantly diving throughout the 120 minutes of the game. Diving after every tackle is much worse for the sport than some physical play. Hard tackles are legal - you tackle a bit too hard, and you take a yellow card. On the other hand, diving goes totally unpunished, and the Spanish team thrives on that.

I'm not Dutch or Spanish, so the outcome of the game didn't really matter to me. But the refereeing and the Spanish diving made me feel sick.
Tackles are illegal if you dont touch the ball, and the dutch in most times didnt touch the ball. Spaniards are technically superior players that even can make the opponent commit fouls and get booked (no lie) with a simple trick: hold the ball and keep it off the opponents reach and put the legs there instead - so the opponent doesnt touch the ball but the legs, and the spanish player falls down (not really DIVE) and its a foul or in some cases a yellow card. It works wonderfully especially against rough teams like the dutch. They may feel like stopping doing martial arts pretty soon. Thats one of the reasons why I said Intelligent football >>> physical football.

Conclusion: Spanish players DON'T dive, they make the opponent commit fouls and get booked on purpose (Thats a different thing, and an intelligent one) Don't blame them blame the other team for being dirty, and dumb

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yes, the Spanish team was diving like crazy, but tbh I can't blame them, because if the referee is too dumb to catch on, they might as well take advantage of that fact. Is Spain going to take advantage of everything they can to win? Of course.

They're still not as bad as the Italians =D

Conclusion: Spanish players DON'T dive, they make the opponent commit fouls and get booked on purpose
-_-

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
Lol blame the Netherlands for their "destroyer" tactics. Spain only tried to play the game like it should be played (keeping the ball as much as you can and try to score goals) in fact Spain is currently rated the best at this positive style of play.
Netherlands on the other hand played anti-football at its finest (Martial Arts included, De Jong Takedown of the night) so they "killed" the game and made it boring. That De Jong challenge was a straight red, but the ref sucked and allowed too much hard play.

Anyway, great finals like these are usually boring, both sides play cautious and there is not too much risk involved.

BTW, if you only find brutalities and fouls interesting, i guess american football or rubgy is a better sport for you -_-
Lol at you assuming/using that American Stereotype at the end. The only reason I found it interesting was because it really WAS one of the only interesting points. Soccer is my favorite sport, to watch and to play.

Because... ↓↓↓↓
Please. What really ruined the game for me was the insane amount of diving by the Spanish. It was incredibly pathetic to watch, and certainly nothing like a "beautiful" game. Spain made Italy look like saints on Sunday.
I actually wanted Germany to win, but they played a very bad game against Spain. They made a lot of bad passes.Also, of course, they didn't have Muller. He got the golden foot didn't he? (I actually haven't checked, which is unlike me.)

Conclusion: Spanish players DON'T dive, they make the opponent commit fouls and get booked on purpose (Thats a different thing, and an intelligent one) Don't blame them blame the other team for being dirty, and dumb
My thoughts:
lol not biased at all towards a half-barca team

My favourite german is now an octopus.
Nice location Nixxon ;).

yeah nixxon, i'm going to pretend you're not arguing in favor of diving and simultaneously complaining about the degradation of the sport. cuz that'd be just silly!
Also, regarding that Octopus. Whether this is true or not, it's still sort of funny/interesting.

I still ♥ you though nixxon.

;D?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Hey earthadept, wherever you believe it or not, spanish players dont dive (maybe there are some random overreactions to fouls, but thats about it), they just provoke fouls.
Im maybe biased, but that doesnt change the fact that the spanish team is the most technical and best in the world at playing posession football (100% fact), which is meant to be the right play to play football. No team can beat them at holding the ball, its a fact. Its their strenght and their style of play. The other teams usually go mad trying to steal the ball and end up commiting fouls. Thats so typical.
Curiously this style was adopted by FC Barcelona in the 90's from the DUTCH style, lol. And some years ago the spanish NT adopted it from Barça.

Lol at you assuming/using that American Stereotype at the end. The only reason I found it interesting was because it really WAS one of the only interesting points. Soccer is my favorite sport, to watch and to play.

Because... ↓↓↓↓

I actually wanted Germany to win, but they played a very bad game against Spain. They made a lot of bad passes.Also, of course, they didn't have Muller. He got the golden foot didn't he? (I actually haven't checked, which is unlike me.)

My thoughts:

Nice location Nixxon ;).

Also, regarding that Octopus. Whether this is true or not, it's still sort of funny/interesting.
Germany looked great against other average teams, but as an example so does boom against average players and he looks average against isai lol, as germany looked average against spain.

I believe the octopus was trained to go always to the german flag (octopus has german owners) and spain's flag is kinda similar in colours, and he maybe got confused, but meh, probably it was all random luck.

dandan

Smash Lord
lol so much bias, spanish players dive, like any other country, just in the finals it was a bit more than usual.

and are you kidding calling argentina an average team :S

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Yeah Argentina was not much better than average. Having Messi and other great players doesnt make a great team. Teams have to play as a team, be balanced in defense, midfield and attack, and they need a good coach. Maradona sucks as a coach, and they have great attacking players but lack in overall team balance.

earthadept

Smash Lord
Hey earthadept, wherever you believe it or not, spanish players dont dive (maybe there are some random overreactions to fouls, but thats about it), they just provoke fouls.
Im maybe biased, but that doesnt change the fact that the spanish team is the most technical and best in the world at playing posession football (100% fact), which is meant to be the right play to play football. No team can beat them at holding the ball, its a fact. Its their strenght and their style of play. The other teams usually go mad trying to steal the ball and end up commiting fouls. Thats so typical.
Curiously this style was adopted by FC Barcelona in the 90's from the DUTCH style, lol. And some years ago the spanish NT adopted it from Barça.

Germany looked great against other average teams, but as an example so does boom against average players and he looks average against isai lol, as germany looked average against spain.

I believe the octopus was trained to go always to the german flag (octopus has german owners) and spain's flag is kinda similar in colours, and he maybe got confused, but meh, probably it was all random luck.
The octupus did predict Serbia beating Germany though...

And yeah, you can say Spain doesn't dive all you like, I watched all of their games this cup and saw ridiculous dives in every one. Especially the final. Honestly Spain this year is just like Italy last time; highly defensive, low-scoring, and dives like crazy.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Spain is nowhere near like Italy. Spain try to attack all the time and have the ball. They got low scores because teams played mostly defensive vs them, and they arent so clinical. On the other hand Italy just sit back and defend, and wait for some random counterattack opportunity (gay)

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Desclamier: I know next to nothing about computers so for the programers out there who find my question dumb I am sorry I just did not know.

If we can do super cool hacking of the graphics on the project 64 emulator could I Hack a character into it? like if I wanted to play browser on the PJ64K? And Have more content as a replacement to better graphics?

DMoogle

A$
Desclamier: I know next to nothing about computers so for the programers out there who find my question dumb I am sorry I just did not know.

If we can do super cool hacking of the graphics on the project 64 emulator could I Hack a character into it? like if I wanted to play browser on the PJ64K? And Have more content as a replacement to better graphics?
My understanding is that it would probably be about as easy as remaking SSB from scratch.

Not going to happen. :ohwell:

The Star King

Smash Hero
...if Spain had less chances, that means either they were playing defensively, their offense is worse than Italy's, or everybody else had better defense than in 06 (lol). It's mostly the first one. Spain's main strategy is to score one goal, then play extremely defensively. That's why they have so many 1-0 games.

earthadept

Smash Lord
yup only team in history to have four 1-0 games in a row.

and come on, 8 goals DESTROYS the previous record for lowest goals scored by a champ. we can argue about diving, but it's a fact that spain plays defensively

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Do you guys understand what is attacking and what is defending?
If you have the ball, you are attacking, you can't defend. Spain has always way more time the ball than the opponent, and they always try to go forward (they do it without taking much risks, but they still do) and score NOT 1 but as many goals as they can. Its their playing style non stop. Look at Barça at 2009 year. Same playing style, they were scoring 5 and still going for the 6th.
It happened that all the matches in this world cup have been tough for them, Torres was still a bit injured and overall they lacked a bit of finishing power. but thats it
If we have to be absolutely precise, spain is actually the opposite extreme of Italian superdefensive style. Their style makes the others play superdefensive actually, to counter it.

dandan

Smash Lord
i think trying to argue with a spainiard about the way spain is playing is fruitless.

dandan

Smash Lord
actually no, i have given up on the israeli team long ago, don't really care about it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
*Struggles with latent anti-semitism*

Did y'all read that Get Fuzzy comic where they proposed replacing the refs with MMA fighters who would actually inflict upon you whichever injuries you faked? I thought the idea had merit.

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
The Serbian flag aint yellow D: (that picture doesn't even show it). Also I've heard that octopus are color blind, however there's another explanation about how the spanish, german and serbian flags all share almost the same design (3 horizontal stripes).

lulz nixxxon chill out teh ego. Spain played campy liek meh.

malva00

Smash Master
looks like there will be an online Japanese tournament on August 8th that will be streamed and/or put on youtube. looks like I'll try to join

and a console tournament on August 21st in Tokyo I believe. hopefully there will be some Japanese Summer 2010 Tournament videos from that XD

dandan

Smash Lord
looks like there will be an online Japanese tournament on August 8th that will be streamed and/or put on youtube. looks like I'll try to join
will they be willing to play you with p2p or server only? if so, how many frames do you get to their server?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lulz nixxxon chill out teh ego. Spain played campy liek meh.
lolwut campy football xD?

i dont has ego. Its simply that some people dont seem to appreciate this kind of football. BY THE WAY the world cup matches were sh¡t, and the Jabulani cr@ppy ball has a lot to do with it. Watch Barça 08-09 to see this kind of football at its best.

And Dan Europe would have too many delay with Japan even on P2P

earthadept

Smash Lord
lolwut campy football xD?

i dont has ego. Its simply that some people dont seem to appreciate this kind of football. BY THE WAY the world cup matches were sh¡t, and the Jabulani cr@ppy ball has a lot to do with it. Watch Barça 08-09 to see this kind of football at its best.

And Dan Europe would have too many delay with Japan even on P2P
word to that dog. good soccer wasnt played at this cup. honestly forlan isnt that great, he just seems to be the only one that knew how to use the jubalani...

Top Bottom