• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Sangoku

Smash Master
I wish I could keep up with some maths though. Like multivariable calculus or complex analysis. Haven't found a good book that would be in continuation with what I had done =( (and easy enough to learn by myself). It's not like I had plenty of time either with med lol.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
I'm with you, ballin. Most of the people I know hate proofs, they just want the formulas and don't care about how it was derived. I, on the other hand, will always go out of my way to find a proof on the new stuff we learn. I've done some basic vector proofs which were tough but enjoyable too.

Almost everything I've learnt so far in my engineering course has been of practical use. DE's, hyperbolic functions, analytical 3D geometry and cross/dot products.

I loved maths in highschool but I didn't know how much I was missing out on! And I can only imagine this is just the start.

/geekout

:phone:

TANK64

Smash Lord
WTF is all this nerd ****
I know right lol. I just didn't wanna log in just to be like, "wtf." At least it somehow revived the social thread.

Yo I'm so back I legit haven't watch any anime for 3 weeks and it feels oh so weird...

But listening to the Asian australian seems like a swell idea

:phone:
I seriously haven't watched any new anime in 2012... True Story.

My soul is empty.

I have no purpose, and no hope for the future.

I cant draw hands, **** hands
I KNOW, me neither. I just copy off other hand positions (yea I said it), and mine still somehow look creepy.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
You probably haven't watched any kind-of-animes

But I bet you've seen a ton of real animes :3

Also, blah blah pokemon is an anime, etc.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
WTF is all this nerd ****
i haven't laughed at a battlecow post for a while now, why did this one get me

anyway as for anime, watch whatever the hell floats your boat, the only ones i can suggest are the braindead, idiotic ones that you watch to wind down after a long day of doing whatever it is you're doing

ciaza is only happy with my choices because made him watch...well, a lot of good things, which is enough to make him trust me forever and ever

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Nah I have zero interest in anime. They just seem kind of lame to me for whatever reason, no offense to anyone.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yo aa, suggest to me an intellectual anime with an intricate, serious plot

somewhere, Battlecow is laughing hysterically: "As if those exist SK! LOOOOOOOL"

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
^ Yeah both of those are really good.

Code Geass is a good show that recommend a lot.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I wish I could keep up with some maths though. Like multivariable calculus or complex analysis. Haven't found a good book that would be in continuation with what I had done =( (and easy enough to learn by myself). It's not like I had plenty of time either with med lol.
multivariable calc is basically the same as single variable so it's boring. lagrange multipliers are useful but that's like the only thing i remember that isn't straight from single variable calc lol.

complex analysis on the other hand is awesome. contour integrals are so cool.

I know right lol. I just didn't wanna log in just to be like, "wtf." At least it somehow revived the social thread.
gotta stay logged in 24/7 bro

I seriously haven't watched any new anime in 2012... True Story.

My soul is empty.

I have no purpose, and no hope for the future.
wtf tank watches anime? i'm disappointed in you :troll:

Peek~

Smash Lord
If you've avoided anime this long, good for you. You are much better off without it and dont want to be associated with weeaboos. Or at least keep your anime power level as small as possible.
Though its not as bad as being a brony and/or furry.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i suggested boku no pico to everyone in some user blogs thread the other day

they were not amused.

mirai nikki was amazing

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I can't even remember the last Anime I watched.

Maybe Tenga Toppa Gurren Laggan? I did finish that, and it was worth it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Except those two topics only divide ballin and everyone else. I guess he argues enough for like five people though (okay, he doesn't as much as he used to)

Also anime is mostly bad and be glad if you have not watched it

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
except those two topics only divide ballin and everyone else. I guess he argues enough for like five people though (okay, he doesn't as much as he used to)

also modern anime is mostly bad and be glad if you have not watched it
ftf y

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
multivariable calc is basically the same as single variable so it's boring. lagrange multipliers are useful but that's like the only thing i remember that isn't straight from single variable calc lol.
People kept telling me multivariable was like single variable, but dear god it was WAY harder. I can understand the similarities, but everything gets so much more difficult with more variables. I'm not sure if it was just my professor (he was good, but tough), but then again, people in other classes complained, and the averages were regularly in the 50s/60s.

Multiple integrals are so much more difficult. I simply could not wrap my head around figuring out the bounds for integrating 3-D shapes. Absolute nightmare, and I have no idea how I scraped through that class. By far the hardest Calc class I've taken, and I thought Calc II was pretty tough. Cake walk compared to multivariable.

I actually did my project on Lagrange Multipliers, and I agree, those seem useful, but I still haven't done ANYthing with multivariable since then, aside from deriving stuff and some RMS uncertainty in my sensors class.

It's just way too hard and takes way too long for our professors to expect us to do it in homeworks and exams.

TANK64

Smash Lord
activity :awesome:

gotta stay logged in 24/7 bro
Yea, I'm a loser, and delete my cookie/everything after every session. Probably gonna change that soon lol. idk.

wtf tank watches anime? i'm disappointed in you :troll:
lol I actually get this reaction irl (As well as peeps freaking out when I start playing the nerds in the student lounge in smash lol).

EDIT: actually, I get a surprised reaction to most things :( . What the **** are these interests I'm supposed to have?

@Vinyl, I like you sig.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I always get a surprised reaction when people realize I'm pretty intelligent. Apparently I look like a total bum.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
People kept telling me multivariable was like single variable, but dear god it was WAY harder. I can understand the similarities, but everything gets so much more difficult with more variables. I'm not sure if it was just my professor (he was good, but tough), but then again, people in other classes complained, and the averages were regularly in the 50s/60s.
well i wouldn't be surprised to see those averages in single variable calc either lol

Multiple integrals are so much more difficult. I simply could not wrap my head around figuring out the bounds for integrating 3-D shapes. Absolute nightmare, and I have no idea how I scraped through that class. By far the hardest Calc class I've taken, and I thought Calc II was pretty tough. Cake walk compared to multivariable.
i suppose those can get tricky, but IIRC the hardest questions you're likely to see on a test are solved by transforming to polar coordinates (which I remember being slightly unintuitive, but not unreasonably difficult to memorize)

I actually did my project on Lagrange Multipliers, and I agree, those seem useful, but I still haven't done ANYthing with multivariable since then, aside from deriving stuff and some RMS uncertainty in my sensors class.

It's just way too hard and takes way too long for our professors to expect us to do it in homeworks and exams.
Lagrange multipliers don't really take that long IMO. I can sum up my whole Economics minor with "use Lagrange multipliers to solve maximization problems" lol

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I just find single variable much easier and simpler. Maybe it's just me, but everybody in my class felt the same way, so that's gotta say something.

Ah yes, spherical and cylindrical coordinates. Those help with the tricky geometries, but I'm talking about **** like tetrahedrons. One of the most basic 3-D shapes, and I still had a hell of a time figuring out the bounds. Maybe I just didn't get it; that's entirely possible, but I remember my professor, during the final exam, had us find the bounds of a tetrahedron, and then graded it right there on the spot and gave us the correct bounds to solve the integration, because he knew how much trouble we'd have and that we'd be ****ed if we tried to do the integration with incorrect bounds. Smart move, I remember messing up the bounds, hurrr.

So many bad memories! I could never be a math major. Props, bro.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I just find single variable much easier and simpler. Maybe it's just me, but everybody in my class felt the same way, so that's gotta say something.

Ah yes, spherical and cylindrical coordinates. Those help with the tricky geometries, but I'm talking about **** like tetrahedrons. One of the most basic 3-D shapes, and I still had a hell of a time figuring out the bounds. Maybe I just didn't get it; that's entirely possible, but I remember my professor, during the final exam, had us find the bounds of a tetrahedron, and then graded it right there on the spot and gave us the correct bounds to solve the integration, because he knew how much trouble we'd have and that we'd be ****ed if we tried to do the integration with incorrect bounds. Smart move, I remember messing up the bounds, hurrr.

So many bad memories! I could never be a math major. Props, bro.
honestly i barely remember any of this stuff as a math major. instead i mostly learned crazy theory stuff that doesn't have obvious practical applications lol. i can tell you all about lebesgue measure theory or the completeness of first order logic but i'm kinda fail at basic linear algebra and diff EQ. lagrange multipliers is the only thing i know really since i had to use it all the time for econ.

i never had to integrate over a tetrahedron. i guess that could get tricky, at least in the sense that it would be easy to make a careless mistake.

Top Bottom