• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

M!nt

Smash Champion
wut alt account?

To be fair tho, Talos could very very very unlikely be smashers friend maybe.

DMoogle

A$
Thought they were publicly viewable. Here it is:
CAN YOU SAY, WAR ON SMASHBOARDS?

I CAN SAY, WAR ON SMASHBOARS!

CAN YOU SAY A LEGION OF 50+ PEOPLE?

I CAN SAY A LEGION OF LULZ

CAN YOU SAY OWNED

I CAN SAY PWNED

gg *** Money.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Can we ban smasher from Galaxy again, all he does is talk **** to others, his little competence he has isn't worth it.

He is also a compulsive liar and he hates puppies.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
yo semp just quadratic equation if you sub u=w^2, don't let lots of variables scare you!
looked at it again, and yeah it's pretty straight-forward. i just get so blinded by rage because this guy is literally the worst professor.

still not doing it out! suck my ****, bi zhang.

On a somewhat related note, does anybody (ballin) know what the hell is going on here?

This guy thinks we all took Linear Algebra, but the reality is that it isn't a required class, and there's no way to fit it in if we want to graduate on time.

How did they get that first matrix in the eigenvector section???

What am I missing?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
looked at it again, and yeah it's pretty straight-forward. i just get so blinded by rage because this guy is literally the worst professor.

still not doing it out! suck my ****, bi zhang.

On a somewhat related note, does anybody (ballin) know what the hell is going on here?

This guy thinks we all took Linear Algebra, but the reality is that it isn't a required class, and there's no way to fit it in if we want to graduate on time.

How did they get that first matrix in the eigenvector section???

What am I missing?
i haven't done diff EQ or linear algebra for like 3 years (lol math major) but based on what i remember i'm confused too. it looks like he is subtracting an additional .08 from the diagonal of the matrix for both lambda1 and lambda2, though i'm not sure why. i also don't know **** about physics lol so i don't know why that would be.

edit: after looking at it again it seems like the 19.7s in the matrix should actually be 19.62s, which would explain that problem. 49.05/2.5 = 19.62 not 19.7 from there the math seems to work

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
i haven't done diff EQ or linear algebra for like 3 years (lol math major) but based on what i remember i'm confused too. it looks like he is subtracting an additional .08 from the diagonal of the matrix for both lambda1 and lambda2, though i'm not sure why. i also don't know **** about physics lol so i don't know why that would be.

edit: after looking at it again it seems like the 19.7s in the matrix should actually be 19.62s, which would explain that problem. 49.05/2.5 = 19.62 not 19.7 from there the math seems to work
Yes! That makes sense. I remember doing it out myself too and getting 19.62, but just shrugging it off as rounding error because I didn't really have a firm grasp of what was going on. Thanks!

kys

Smash Ace
I seriously love this social thread. It doubles as a Q&A or a help forum, except everyone here is actually helpful and you can ask about anything. Except drugs; we can't talk about drugs.

TANK64

Smash Lord
and every other thread doubles as the social thread.

Especially the Q&A thread... which won't actually answer any question... unless it's a strange riddle.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
social threads have gone away for a while as i haven't been able to watch anime other than the occasional episode of chihayafuru

actually aa, what is the anime to eat noodles to now? it needs to be a slice of life with a female lead who has blonde hair (see: chihayafuru, usagi drop, iroha, etc)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i am so excited to watch that it's not even funny.

oh yeah and i decided i'm on swf so much i owe them money, so i got premium. if anyone wants to be pranked/name changed or w/e let us know and tell me how to do it and i'll do it

unless i hate you.

So, my Vibrations professor casually asked us to calculate the natural frequencies of a two degree of freedom spring/mass system on our homework.

This was the result:

Go here if you dare and click "show steps". This guy is a madman if he expects us to do all that algebra out on a goddamn homework assignment.
I hate doing a ton of algebra work, but I prefer it compared to the situation of not knowing where to start a problem. When doing Linear Algebra proofs, half the time I have no idea where to start.

V is a vector space. T: V -> V is liinear such that T^2 = T. Prove Ker (T) and img(T) = {0}. Mmm...

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
channighan just listen to whatever aa tells you to watch

i do and it makes my life 20 times easier

but go watch ttgl if you haven't already

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I hate doing a ton of algebra work, but I prefer it compared to the situation of not knowing where to start a problem. When doing Linear Algebra proofs, half the time I have no idea where to start.

V is a vector space. T: V -> V is liinear such that T^2 = T. Prove Ker (T) and img(T) = {0}. Mmm...
I'm confused by this. The statement seems to violate the rank nullity theorem (dim Ker(T) + dim Img(T) = dim V) unless V is the 0 dimensional vector space.

For example T could be either the 0 matrix or the identity matrix (obviously T^2 = T for both of these cases). If T is the 0 matrix then Ker(T) = V and img(T) = {0}, but if T is the identity matrix then Ker(T) = {0} and img(T) = V.

So this question doesn't make sense to me.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord

Algebra like this is a waste of time at this point in my engineering career. I should be focusing more on the applications of what I'm learning, rather than mindless grinding through heaps of algebra (I already took that class... in high school).

One look at that mess, and I know w ≠ √k/m, which is what I set out to prove.

There's no point in grinding it out when I have ****ing mode shapes to find in a million other problems. I hate my professor.

@Ballin: V ends up containing only the zero vector, so it makes sense.

@Semp: You took a linear algebra course going over topics like linear transformations, eigenvalues & eigenvectors, vector spaces, solving determinants, linear dependence in high school? What sort of prestigious school were you attending?

@Pete: My course is proof intensive, so I find it a pain. The topics are not all that bad.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
@Semp: You took a linear algebra course going over topics like linear transformations, eigenvalues & eigenvectors, vector spaces, solving determinants, linear dependence in high school? What sort of prestigious school were you attending?

@Pete: My course is proof intensive, so I find it a pain. The topics are not all that bad.
Semp is in college pretty sure, which is why he is annoyed at his professor and not his teacher.

Pete, no you should not be worried.

Sangoku

Smash Master

Except from "eigenvalues & eigenvectors", I saw everything else you mentioned in high school. Obviously, it must not have been a very in depth course... I remember we proved dim Ker(T) + dim Img(T) = dim V though. Don't know if that's supposed to be difficult or not. Anyway I've mostly forgotten all this stuff now =/.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
huh? The problem said let V be any vector space and let T be any linear transformation such that T^2 = T. if you assume the problem is correct you can deduce that V is just the zero vector (or as I said the 0 dimensional vector space), but we can just let V be any other vector space and then let T be the identity and then the hypotheses of the problem are correct but the conclusion is not, hence the problem is wrong.

am i missing something?

proofs are awesome! they are actually a challenge unlike many math classes where you just plug and chug through the same old algorithms for solving problems. with proofs there's usuallly not a set way to solve a problem so you actually have to think rather than just memorizing an algorithm.

Except from "eigenvalues & eigenvectors", I saw everything else you mentioned in high school. Obviously, it must not have been a very in depth course... I remember we proved dim Ker(T) + dim Img(T) = dim V though. Don't know if that's supposed to be difficult or not. Anyway I've mostly forgotten all this stuff now =/.
wtf gameshark

Top Bottom